Ford 413 54.99%
VW-Skoda 233 31.03%
Renault-Nissan 79 10.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 14:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene

I am not a fan of diesels in the first place, that said My favourite diesel motors are generally from Ford and Hyundai. Ford for its small turbo offering predictable power delivery and easy operation, and Hyundai for its refinement. However I recently had the chance to sample a friend's 1.5 Polo normal edition not GT, but he had it tuned by code 6 and it was running a map that unleashed 140 horses. The car pulled ahead like a train never loosing steam. Turbo lag was present, diesel clatter was present all the charecteristics that a pure petrol head hates about diesels were present, however I simply cannot argue with the sheer tunability and performance on tap with the 1.5 VW mill. My friend is now telling me he is aiming for a 190 horsepower map by swapping the turbo for a CR177 from an A4. I think he got this idea from a fellow member on the forum itself. It is astonishing how easy VW has made it to transform a 90 horsepower dull hatchback into a 190 horsepower absolute devil.
IshaanIan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 14:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IMHO - Not just yet, GTO - not yet.

The 1.5 is the future of diesels (atleast for the medium term) - anything lower is probably going to get killed with BS6.
Let me recall the dead list then,

3 pot mills:
- Tata Revotorq 1.1L (Tiago/Tigor Diesel)
- Mahindra mFalcon D75 Diesel 1.2L (KUV-1OO Diesel)
- Hyundai U2 CRDi Diesel 1.2L (Grand i10/Xcent Diesel)

4 pot mills:
- Fiat 1.3 multijet (many cars)
- Toyota D4D 1.4 (Liva/Etios Diesel)
- Hyundai U2 CRDi Diesel 1.4L (Elite i120/Creta)

OT: How many are probably dead due to BSVI apart from the legendary 1.3MJD?

I voted for the Ford TDCI 1.5L Diesel for its well balanced nature and choice of vehicles it's available with. (Figo/Freestyle/Aspire/Ecosport)

DriveSafe
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 26th February 2019 at 14:51.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 14:54   #18
BHPian

Voted for Ford present gen as it trumps all else in this group in refinement and all round abilities (haven't driven the new Mahindra one). The older EcoSport 1.5 I own always lacked power, but now having done a Code6 remap, am more than happy with it.

Tata's one in Nexon and Volkswagen one are also worthy contenders. Overall good to be a diesel buyer in this class.

A big disappointment though is the lack of a proper torque converter AT among these. Options are limited to Volkswagen's DSG, detuned Honda CVT and some AMTs. You need to go up to Hyundai 1.6 for that.
CoolFire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 15:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Here I have to disagree with the popular view, having owned both the Nissan and Ford 1.5 diesels. I am not in love with the heavy engine braking from the Ford 1.5 engine. All the fun is lost if we do not have a bit more 'open' engine.

Quote:
1) 100 horses under the hood!
You will never experience the difference of 100 horses unless you are on the open highway, racing.

Quote:
2) Fuel economy
Ford 1.5 FE is sensitive to throttle input, but the Nissan 1.5 delivered a bit more without caring much on the throttle.

Quote:
3) Refinement
Hyundai's diesels are better in NVH in general. But here, comparing the 1.5s, Ford is the best.
thoma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 19:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

I used to love the old tDCi on my (now sold) Ford Figo. Used to consistently give me 1000km+ on a full tank. Now in the Honda Mobilio max I have gotten is 800km+ before refueling. Usual figure is around 650 - 700 km. I haven't driven any of the other engines in this list. And I hate going to the fuel pumps and wasting 15-20 mins.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 20:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a through and through petrol head. A petrol engine whining at high revs like a banshee is music to my ears. But if pushed into a corner and made to choose between oil burners the Germans or other European motors get my vote.

Honda - Stop being a "me too". Stick to what you chaps are good at, petrol engines. Leave diesels to fuddy-duddy Toyota.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 22:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nothing more to add about the Ford TDCi that hasn't been said already except that it begs for a 6th on the highway!! 80k kms and mine is still going great in the EcoSport.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 23:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

In terms of cruising ability, Ford's 1.5 TDCi is let down by the absence of a 6th cog, but the grunt is brutal in 2nd and 3rd gear. The engine is also pretty aggressive engine-braking wise and combined with a heavy clutch, driving smoothly in traffic can be a bit challenging. Lovely motor overall, if a bit on the raw side of the spectrum.

Renault's 1.5 K9K is probably the best cruiser of the lot, aided by the 6th cog in 110 BHP tune. Combined with the ride quality of the Duster/Terrano platform, one could drive it all day on the open road and arrive fresh at the destination.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2019 at 23:09.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 23:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Honda, Volkswagen and Ford. Apart from short stints in the Polo and EcoSport, I have driven the Amaze and WR-V for a good amount of time and found the 1.5 iDTEC to be very tractable with no turbo lag although engine noise is slighty on the higher side. But on the WRV with 6-speed gearbox, it doesn't sound that bad at high speeds and delivers good FE as well. Not sure why it has got the least number of votes here. Is there any major negative that I've failed to notice?
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 02:31   #25
BANNED

Unpopular opinion.
Small diesels are bleh.
Didn't vote.

I own the 1.5tdi dsg and a 1.2tsi dsg. The diesel is faster if you are redlining it but it has horrendous turbo lag which I find a deal breaker vs the TSI. The VW diesel is super loud and unrefined to my ears too. Is it better than any other in noise? I call it hamara tractor.
Diesels are slowing down anyway. The ngt ban along with bs6 costs should reduce Diesel models even further.
Friend has a creta diesel auto and even that sounds like a tractor at 1L KMS. I have creta petrol auto and it's silent in the 2 month 5k kms done so far. The 1.6 petrol is the worst in terms of power but it is the smoothest in terms of noise IF you're driving like a nanny.

I've also driven the Honda 1.5 diesel. Extensively in my friends wrv and once in a rental city. I have nothing good to say about it except for the fuel economy which is why I believe they sell. They have no power. Super loud. Completely opposite to refined Honda petrols. Not fast but at least peaceful.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 27th February 2019 at 02:38.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 08:46   #26
BHPian

Voted for the brilliant TDCi unit from Ford.

After driving one for 60k kms, I can say that it satisfies me in every sense, be it power, refinement, NVH or FE. While many would place their bets on the 1.6 from Hyundai for the best affordable diesel in the country, the fact that it is available only in the Verna, Creta and the Elantra(?) makes it out of reach for many of us. The TDCi on the other hand is an allrounder and is available at a base sticker price of about 6.5L thereabouts which makes it fantastic value for money.
Porschefire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 09:25   #27
NTO
BHPian

From my extensive drives of the cars, I would rank the diesels as follows:

Ford>VW - Skoda> Renault Nissan> Tata> Honda. I have not driven Mahindra's diesel so, I am unable to put it in the rank list. But I have a feeling that it should be between Ford and VW - Skoda.

I just love the 1.6 TDi motor in my Vento (dieselgate fix not performed). This would've taken the first rank in my opinion if, it had been in production still. However, the tractability, efficiency and power on demand of Ford is definitely superior compared to the 1.5 unit of VW. It is a close call between Renault Nissan 1.5 DCi and Tata's 1.5 diesel. Honda still needs a lot of catching up to do. I feel they'd be better off in adopting a strategy similar to that of Porsche (no diesels!).

I'll edit my post once I get to drive the 1.5 diesel of Mahindra especially in the XUV 300.
NTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 12:35   #28
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Ford 1.5 TDCi.

The only other one I've driven is the Renault 1.5 dCi. Though I love the Renault engine and own cars with two generations of the same, I voted for the Ford engine due to its cheaper maintenance, mod friendliness, and close to zero reported reliability issues in terms of injector issues and turbo leaks. It does smoke though.

Judging the engine is also subjective sine a lot is to do with the gearing and tuning it is offered in. But from the available options in the Indian market, the Ford TDCi is quite a likable engine no matter which state of tune it is offered in.
Old 27th February 2019, 13:10   #29
BHPian

Voted for VW's 1.5 TDi. Offers an explosive performance and good drivability, while being fairly fuel efficient as well. Top it with the TDi+DSG combo and you have got yourself the best of both worlds combination. The kickdown is just too addictive and leaves you with a wide grin on your face everytime you floor the pedal. The NVH levels are also well controlled and are better than most of the competition, if not all.
Old 27th February 2019, 13:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
4) Mod friendly

Attachment 1852310

The TDCI is very mod friendly and there are many Figo’s running around with remaps from Wolf Moto, Code6 etc. Ask Dr.Naren
I guess you were referring to me

Dr.Naren would be the in-house remap wiki.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed