Renault-Nissan 79 10.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2019, 18:24   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Seriously though, it's real bang for your buck and punches way above it's range. If raw power is your thing you have to try this.
The problem I see here is - Most people are responding based on the car, not the engine. The Ford 1.5 makes very humble power and torque figures in this competition. Helped mainly by the fact that the Figo is perhaps on of the lightest applications to be powered by a 1.5 diesel.

Imagine the same engine in something heavy as the Marazzo or Lodgy - would have struggled royally.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 18:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The problem I see here is - Most people are responding based on the car, not the engine. The Ford 1.5 makes very humble power and torque figures in this competition. Helped mainly by the fact that the Figo is perhaps on of the lightest applications to be powered by a 1.5 diesel.

Imagine the same engine in something heavy as the Marazzo or Lodgy - would have struggled royally.
Agree, it's difficult to separate the engine from the car in this case, but having experienced the same engine in a colleague's Ecosport, I can genuinely tell that it doesn't, for a split second, feel bogged down due to the added weight.

Coming to the Marazzo and Lodgy, they are beautiful machines in their own right and deserve more powerful engines to fulfill their roles. But I would still love to see a 1/4 mile drag race between a Ford Tdci powered Lodgy and a standard diesel Ertiga. My money would be on the Lodgy.
revvenant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 18:44   #48
BHPian

Though the low end torque is addictive it comes at a significant cost.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/68184315.cms

I feel this is an underplayed factor about Diesel engines but one with far reaching repercussions for sure. If wallet permits, enthusiasts could look at turbo petrols instead.

Last edited by B103 : 28th February 2019 at 18:50.
Old 28th February 2019, 18:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
Agree, it's difficult to separate the engine from the car in this case, but having experienced the same engine in a colleague's Ecosport, I can genuinely tell that it doesn't, for a split second, feel bogged down due to the added weight.
There is a bit of a difference in the way an Aspire/ Figo on the one hand, and a Ecosport on the other hand respond. Of course, that has to do with the couple of hundred kilos of additional weight which the Ecosport carries.

That being said, the Ecosport still has one of the most responsive powertrains and is lots of fun to drive. In my view, the Ford TDCI with its responsive nature is among the more car-agnostic engines out there, delivering good drivability and shove in all the vehicles it powers.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 28th February 2019 at 19:00.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 19:48   #50
BHPian

Of all these, my clear pick would be the VW/Skoda Diesel, main reason being the sweet midrange, it is the fastest of all these engines while being very reasonably fuel efficient, acceptable (better than Honda) level of refinement and the overall fun to drive nature of the cars it comes in.

Diesel engines are somehow seen as a dying breed but in my opinion, nothing comes close in delivering the level of performance-fuel economy ratio diesels provide, on top of it the fuel is cheaper and of cars in India, many of them have much better performing diesel than its petrol model which just makes them a no brainer.

I do agree with GTO on the Hyundai engine being the ultimate all rounder (i use it in my Creta) in this segment (its only 100cc larger afterall) and as far as i know, the new 1.5 engine comes in 2 variants internationally, one of it being more powerful than the current 1.6, i don't see why it wont be as good in refinement either, if, however, Hyundai chooses to bring the lower powered version, then it'll be a different story.

I also drive the Honda 1.5 Engine in my City and although it might be punchy in an Amaze, its just about ok in my car, refinement is poor but there is nothing wrong with the engine either, no matter how cold it is, it starts in half a crank everytime (Hyundai takes long),it is enough powerful to maintain fast speeds on expressways,
I trust its reliability completely and i took it to Mumbai (from Delhi) once with zero preparations and needless to say there were zero issues, with my tyres being relatively old i just set the cruise control to a low 80Km/h for most of the trip and for the first time in my life drove my car with complete patience which was totally opposite to my character (i'am mostly at 2x that speed on highways),
The low end is good, fuel economy is very good too (it returns 14 with my upsized tyres in City and returned 26 in my Mumbai trip), its just not a winner in my eyes, it is a competent engine in its own right though.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 19:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ford TDCI power plant. However in my opinion the upcoming BS6 norms will slowly but surely kill the small capacity diesel engine. Here is an article published in India Today link

“Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is reportedly planning to kill off its range of diesel engines spread across its global range which has brands like Jeep and Fiat. FCA also has brands like Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lancia, Maserati, Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, and Jeep.

According to a report from Financial Times, the decision to discontinue diesel engines has not yet been made public, but FT has cited internal documents and the decision will be announced to the public on June 1, 2018, when the carmaking major will reveal their four-year future plan. The decision to discontinue diesel powertrains is based on falling demand for diesel engines, high costs needed to build cleaner engines and tightening noose diesel pollution and regulation protocols from major governments.

In India, the FCA operates multiple companies like the Jeep, Fiat, Ferrari, and Maserati in India. Fiat sells the Linea, Punto, and the Avventura models, Jeep sells the Compass, Wrangler, and the Grand Cherokee SUVs. Although, the decision is for FCA's global range of vehicles and still unclear whether the decision will affect the Indian market.
Fiat has the widely known diesel engine - 1.3-litre Fiat Multijet unit - built by both Fiat and Maruti Suzuki in India. If the decision sees the light of day, the 1.3-litre Multijet diesel is not slated to get a new version as the emission norms get tighter (BS6 Compliant). Maruti Suzuki has already started developing a new BS6 compliant engine to replace the Multijet unit on all its cars.
However, this is nothing to be surprised about as diesel engines from across the globe are being scrutinized across the world in light of the rise in pollution and particle count numbers. This has instigated many automakers to looks at cleaner sources of fuel and tap into a hybrid powertrain, battery, and fuel-cell technology for its cars.

In recent developments on the same line, Porsche recently made an announcement stating that they would be discontinuing their diesel range engines, only to take it back. Volkswagen has stated that they would be working on reducing their diesel plans and are looking for different alternatives. The National Green Tribunal and various courts have reduced the working lifespan of diesel cars to 10 years and petrol cars to 15 cars. With all these developments, we guess the days of diesel power are numbered.”

Last edited by tj123 : 28th February 2019 at 19:58. Reason: typo
Old 28th February 2019, 21:52   #52
BHPian

Voted for the Figo TDCI for its punchy engine.
But the long clutch travel, the rubbery gear shift and peaky torque is not practical in busy Kerala roads. I do not like the strained nature of the engine as well.

Still love to drive the remapped s cross 1.3 though it delivers much less power / ton.
Figo gives me back aches, though I can drive faster, ultimately I reach the destination at the same time in my S cross 1.3. Seems like age is catching up fast.
May be it is time for a CVT.

Last edited by sandygordon : 28th February 2019 at 21:56.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 22:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

I haven't driven a modern day diesel in my life. The last diesel car we owned was a Sipani D-1. The last so called modern diesel I drove was the Old Gen Elantra way back before I got my petrol Elantra in 2005. That said, I really want to drive a smooth and punchy diesel like the Hyundai 1.6 or 1.4. So haven't voted for any of the above.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th February 2019 at 22:27.
Old 28th February 2019, 23:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

I owned a Rapid diesel 1.6 and have now switched over to the Creta 1.6 diesel. Both superb engines, the Rapid is sort of better in lower gears and I believe the power comes early on, thus giving it a sudden surge.
On the other hand the Hyundai 1.6 diesel is very linear, no sudden spurt in power, quite a predictable power graph.

So the Skoda / VW Diesel was more fun, but it was also one noisy engine, and at idle it had a very pronounced engine clatter, in spite of insulation in the bonnet. The Creta diesel is a lot quieter with no insulation and just feels very refined all the way through.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st March 2019 at 14:59. Reason: Completing last word :)
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 10:41   #55
BHPian

I voted for Ford!

Till date, I haven't driven many diesels to be an expert to comment here, but yes I have had a chance to experience the Ford Freestyle and that was the first time a drove a turbo diesel. And, man the pull after say 2000 RPM was too much fun. And, somehow I prefer the diesel clatter when compared to the very silent petrol engines.
Old 1st March 2019, 12:20   #56

There is something wrong with the votes and percentages in this poll. I calculated with the same numbers in Excel and I got different numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene-poll01.jpg  

The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene-poll02.jpg  

Old 1st March 2019, 12:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_will View Post
There is something wrong with the votes and percentages in this poll. I calculated with the same numbers in Excel and I got different numbers.
Each person can vote for more than one option. Hence total number of votes is not 655 (as calculated by you). Instead it is close to 482 (and changing as I type). If you use this number as denominator, the percentage works out as shown in the poll.
srvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 12:43   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_will View Post
You are right. Wonder how the sum total percentage is exceeding 100 in the poll?!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 12:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Each person can vote for more than one option. Hence total number of votes is not 655 (as calculated by you). Instead it is close to 482 (and changing as I type). If you use this number as denominator, the percentage works out as shown in the poll.
I think you are right. No wonder the sum of percentages is exceeding 100%.
Old 1st March 2019, 16:28   #60
BHPian

Have voted for Renault-Nissan's old but reliable k9k engine!

I owned first gen Duster 110 and sold the car when odo was close to 2L. I think they are bang for buck when it comes to reliability. Never kept me stranded anywhere on the road. Although I agree that it's too old now and not completely refined but it is punchy, fuel-efficient and has a superb mid range. did I say reliable already?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks