Ford 413 54.99%
VW-Skoda 233 31.03%
Renault-Nissan 79 10.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 16:58   #61
BHPian

Re: The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene

There was a big chance that my next purchase would have been one of the cars with 1.5L diesal engine. Ford Ecosport and Nexon would have been ideal choice but lack of proper AT on any of the 1.5L was a deal breaker.

AMT for me was not going to cut it, Creta Diesal automatic with 1.6L engine mated to TC autobox, was the obvious choice.

Last edited by born_free : 1st March 2019 at 16:59.
born_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 23:58   #62
BHPian

Voted for VAG's 1.5. It's a gem and the best part of the car it's plonked upon. Period.
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 00:16   #63
BHPian

An engine itself wont even make a dent in our minds unless it finds the right car to settle down under the bonnet.

Secondly even if the engine finds a great car, still it won't find a place in our minds if the car maker isn't able to package it well and get the sales numbers.

Lets see few examples.

1. MJD 1.3L from FIAT making its appearance under Palio. No one would have cared much and this engine may not have seen this explosive success unless Swift took it under its bonnet.

2. The EcoBoost 1.0L making so much noise all around at its launch. Gem of an engine but still waiting for a right car to taste success in our market. May be Figo with JTP style modification from Ford could give this a go.

So my point to all those who wants to judge these engines in poll as stand alone, without the right package as a whole car its pointless.

I voted for the Ford 1.5L TDCi since its able to find that right balance between all the mentioned options. Perfect balance for its host car offering awesome value for money, performance in any condition (highway or city) and all that while offering some mind blowing fuel economy figures.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:29   #64
BHPian

The Honda 1.5L i-Dtec for me is the best commuter diesel in India for the below mentioned points:

1. Most of the time the cars with these engines are driven in the city with the occasional highway trips. So it is imperative that these engines have good drivability and practicality. For this Turbo-lag should be well controlled and power delivery should be linear.

2. These engines are for the middle class (mostly!) who are concerned about the daily running cost. Good real life fuel efficiency is a must of these engines.

3. Should be an all-rounder at this price range. The engine should be able to do everything yet need not master any one thing.

The engine does suffer from poor NVH but that is a small price to pay for this beautifully tractable engine.

Last edited by feluda86 : 2nd March 2019 at 12:31. Reason: Typo correction
feluda86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 07:51   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene

I feel it may have been worth including the Totoyta 1.4 D4D in this comparison. Yes, I admit it does not strictly qualify since it slightly smaller, however, it beautifully exhibits many of the characteristics, for which people are picking their winners here.

I had a ride up the hills in this car as a passenger yesterday and was reminded of the many impressive qualities of this engine. It has very little turbo lag, a strong shove of low end and mid range torque, is very fuel efficient, has the bullet proof Toyota reliability and low operating costs (which is why the taxis love this engine boy in the Etios and Liva forms). Granted, it is a bit noisy and completely lacks any high end rpm performance. But the noise level is no worse than the Honda.

Toyota has even considered it good enough to power the Corolla, which is a D segment Sedan, and none of the other engines in this comparison can claim that, except perhaps the K9K which powered the old Fluence. For instance, VW does not use the 1.5D in the Jetta/Octavia, Ford does not use the 1.5TDCI in the Mondeo, Honda does not use its 1.5 in the Civc (it uses the 1.6).

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th March 2019 at 07:56.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 12:23   #66
BHPian

Voted for Tata's 1.5L Revotorq.

To be honest, I am ready to suffer a bit of increased NVH if it means me getting a more powerful motor and hence why I picked the Tata unit over the Ford one. For me, the real choice was between VW, Mahindra and Tata. I have only yet driven one application of the Mahindra diesel, which is in the Marazzo, and it did feel powerful, although seemed dull because it had a considerable weight to pull, so perhaps the XUV 300 application will be a lot better, the VW diesel is a really explosive unit and I absolutely adore it, but between th VW and the Tata, it was the Tata, which I felt had better NVH and also offered a bit more torque, so went with the Revotorq.

Thanks for the poll.
Old 5th March 2019, 09:08   #67
BHPian

My vote is for the Ford 1.5 TDCI.
I own the 1.6 TDI Skoda Rapid and have driven the 1.5 TDI of VW/Skoda that have come 2015 onward and I completely agree with GTO about the lack of explosiveness in the new one. On the other hand, I have felt the 1.5 TDCI Figo to be an excellent driver's car and thus my vote goes for it.
mrinmoy_s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 10:40   #68
Senior - BHPian

I don't have any long term/drive experience of VW-Skoda and Ford's 1.5L diesel engine, so can't say much about them.

Among TATA, Mahindra, Honda and Renault-Nissan, my vote goes to Renault-Nissan. I have used Duster extensively in the Himalayas and it never disappointed me. Specifically, 1.5 diesel Engine with 110ps.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 13:40   #69
BHPian

I test drove the Ford and it had fantastic engine. Unfortunately the interior quality, look, design and feel were not to my taste and many bits of the interior felt cheap. If we talk about an overall package, it has to be VW not just because of the superior engine, but also the build and stability on high speeds that makes you drive with confidence. Its been 4 years since i bought my Polo, and still every times it puts a smile on my face when I paddle the metal to the floor.
navdeep.rana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 07:23   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Drove the 1.5L Diesel leading this poll last night. Indeed, quite an engine - fast, efficient & driveable. And quite a nice car too (Figo facelift). Very agile & chuckable:
The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene-20190411-19.18.41.jpg
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 08:35   #71

The thread, its timing, falling diesel sales and given the forums fan following, make me think that are trying to revive the diesel engine sales overall. For eg, i am/was really tempted to look at diesel car whenever my next purchase happens. But the fact remains the state is deterring me / us from investing in diesel engines. Look at the 10 year rule in NCR. And then think about resale prices plunging post the 6 year mark as the car would have very little life left then.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:30   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drove the 1.5L Diesel leading this poll last night. Indeed, quite an engine - fast, efficient & driveable. And quite a nice car too (Figo facelift). Very agile & chuckable:
Attachment 1867609
Did you drive the Blu variant with 15 inchers, or the Titanium with smaller wheels? The difference in drive/handling is fairly obvious at higher speeds, esp. with the torquey TDCi. The latter is still quick owing to the motor, but I wouldn't chuck it anywhere at decent speed with confidence.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 17:55   #73

Of course voted for the TDCi. This diesel engine is a stonker and will never leave you disappointed, both in city and highway.
Old 15th April 2019, 20:02   #74
BHPian

There is a new entry from Maruti Suzuki now. Their 1.5L DDiS has made its debut under the bonnet of Ciaz

Initial reviews are suggesting class leading acceleration & fuel efficiency.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 20:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
There is a new entry from Maruti Suzuki now. Their 1.5L DDiS has made its debut under the bonnet of Ciaz

Initial reviews are suggesting class leading acceleration & fuel efficiency.
Can you point to the source of this information?
Whatever I read indicated mediocre performance and refinement.
I would be very surprised if Maruti-Suzuki delivers class-leading engine in its first attempt. I think they would be happy if they don't end up at the bottom

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks