Renault-Nissan 79 10.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 20:31   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you point to the source of this information?
Whatever I read indicated mediocre performance and refinement.
I would be very surprised if Maruti-Suzuki delivers class-leading engine in its first attempt. I think they would be happy if they don't end up at the bottom
Please have a look: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4575474
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 21:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you point to the source of this information?
Whatever I read indicated mediocre performance and refinement.
I would be very surprised if Maruti-Suzuki delivers class-leading engine in its first attempt. I think they would be happy if they don't end up at the bottom
I believe they did face some problems due to which they delayed the launch and they seem to have ironed out all the issues reported earlier. Kudos to Maruti for taking their time and not hurrying out of the door with a half baked product...

Name:  HZ_Ciaz.png
Views: 4976
Size:  639.3 KB
Hormazd Comments on Twitter

The ACI review stated that this car now has the fastest 0 to 100 kph figures in the segment now without calling out the actual numbers. We need to wait and watch out for more detailed reviews from ACI as well as few other reviewers.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 15th April 2019 at 21:03.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 21:16   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
There is a new entry from Maruti Suzuki now. Their 1.5L DDiS has made its debut under the bonnet of Ciaz

Initial reviews are suggesting class leading acceleration & fuel efficiency.
Maruti had the opportunity to develop a class leading engine, considering that 1.6 MJD was available with them as a model/ prototype. Sadly, 1.5 DDiS produces 225 Nm torque against 320 Nm in S Cross 1.6

Last edited by breezydrive : 15th April 2019 at 21:19. Reason: Spell check
Old 17th June 2019, 07:44   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Maruti's new 1.5L is another diesel to add to the list on this thread. Superb refinement on the move, good driveability, quick enough (but not an enthusiast's 1st choice) and efficient. The 6-speed MT is nice to use as well.

The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene-20190616-12.30.10.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 11:03   #80
BHPian

Just back from a 1,500 km Noida-Dalhousie-Bir-Noida trip on my Nexon Diesel and the car performed exceptionally well. At places where the gradient was moderate, i could manage in 3rd gear like an automatic. The superb torque that this engine pushes out, is pretty impressive. On steep inclines, 2nd gear was enough to gather momentum without slowing down too much. I must say, i am very impressed by the low end torque.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 11:33   #81
BHPian

The 1.5 DDIS is a very driveable engine in the city and a decent performer on the highway. Keeps in line with the purpose of the Ciaz.

For highway drives, I would still rate the VW engine higher, but overall I think the DDIS is a good engine to invest in.

Last edited by manson : 17th June 2019 at 15:24. Reason: Typo.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 12:33   #82
BHPian

I am just back from a trip in a friend's Nexon diesel. The drivability is excellent and the need to downshift is surprisingly not there but the engine sounds coarse and once past mid range, there is no power. I prefer Ford's TDCi. The refinement, and the spread of power is much more natural and suits my driving.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 15:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
I must say, i am very impressed by the low end torque.
For sure. I have done about 1000KM on highway in my Nexon and 2.5K in the city. The low end is quite good and the 6th gear helps in cruising. I had a long test drive of the Ford ecosport diesel and honestly, Nexon lacks the urgency that the TDCi is able to deliver. On the flip slide the 6th gear and in-city, crowded area drivability is very good in Nexon.

I still feel Nexon is quite VFM for the segment.
Good build quality. 5* crash rating
Best music system of the segment. Easily in the class above.
Good Space management and Nice highway stability.
Little less on feature but almost all the important one are there (4 additional airbags and few other active safety electronics would have made this perfect)
Old 7th July 2019, 11:49   #84

For me, it's a battle between Ford TDCi and VAG TDi.

TDI has acceptable bottom end response, a punchy mid range and has good top end as well. It feels better when redlined. What doesn't feel good is the noisy diesel engine.
TDCi has better bottom end and mid range performance is equally impressive. However, I felt that the engine struggles to breath at higher rpms. It could be due to the SOHC setup.

Overall, Ford scores when it comes to offering better drivability, efficiency, refinement and maintenance cost.
Darkman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 16:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

I drive a Ford 1.5. I've driven a Nissan 1.5 and a VW 1.6 quite a bit and a Maruti 1.3 and a Toyota 1.4 a small bit. What I do not like in the Ford 1.5 is driving it in city traffic, press the gas or release it, it's bound to jerk. Release the clutch, the car jerks (head nod is more than an AMT). Is it because the gearbox or the engine? Is it because the clutch or the engine braking? The gear shift too is a bit notchy. Driving is never relaxed because of the fear of jerks. Even an old Mahindra Major was better.

I like low end torque, but not jerking. I love the Nissan and Toyota engines, but not the NVH especially the Nissan. In the Toyota, there is the occasional tappet noise which is inconsistent. I like engines that are friendly to be revved, diesel, which makes an even consistency in noise while being revved.

My question is, whether the Honda, Hyundai, Mahindra or Tata any different?
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 19:42   #86
Senior - BHPian

All of the listed 1.5 L Diesel mills are definitely amazing and competent. They have their unique merits.

I can comment on the 1.5 Honda diesel having driven it extensively over the last 5 years.
The 6 speed manual that it comes mated with in the City is a perfect combination when compared to the 5 speed gearbox in other Honda models. The gearbox it comes with matters a lot when it comes to how an engine behaves.

What is remarkable is the amazing tractability right from the lowest of RPMs. You can easily go over speedbrakers at near standstill speeds in 2nd gear. Climb over a steep ramp in a mall, just let go of the clutch and it pulls up without needing to touch the accelerator. Whether you switch on/off the AC or whether you're driving alone or loaded with fellow passengers and luggage makes no difference to the mileage or power! It just pulls like a locomotive.

It may be relatively noisy, its because of its all aluminium construction which doesn't insulate noise that well, but its the aluminium build that gives it that high thermal efficiency. It is a state of the art mill coming from a Honda stable with anti friction coated pistons.

Honda is practically using the same engine across all its offerings right from the Amaze to the City in its 1.5L avatar and powering the Civic and CRV in the 1.6L avatar. The same 1.6L tried and tested global engine is made to displace 1.5L (to reap Govt benefits) by retaining the same bore but reduced stroke. A very competent, efficient and robust engine serving a wide range of vehicles. Thanks to Honda for offering this gem of an engine.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 23:17   #87
BHPian

Having extensively driven the TDCi since past 3-4 years on various cars, I can safely say that the 1.5 TDCi is the best engine amongst all the engines with similar displacement. It offers you the best of both the worlds when it comes to the highway driving and the city driving, although it feels much more better on the highways. The FE is decent, NVH are not too high, refinement is also not that bad, torque delivery is linear and is available from lower rpms and the pull from this engine never ends. I don't think any engine can bring the smile on my face like the way 1.5 TDCi does.
Old 8th July 2019, 00:06   #88
Senior - BHPian

The emergence of fantastic 1.5L diesels in the Indian car scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Honda is practically using the same engine across all its offerings right from the Amaze to the City in its 1.5L avatar and powering the Civic and CRV in the 1.6L avatar.

Agree with your review. Even the CVT avatar which is 20% detuned is a dream to drive because of the low end torque. Driving this 1.5L engine is indeed very enjoyable.
Old 8th July 2019, 17:04   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What I do not like in the Ford 1.5 is driving it in city traffic, press the gas or release it, it's bound to jerk. Release the clutch, the car jerks (head nod is more than an AMT). Is it because the gearbox or the engine? Is it because the clutch or the engine braking? The gear shift too is a bit notchy. Driving is never relaxed because of the fear of jerks. Even an old Mahindra Major was better.
That shouldn't be the case on the TDCi.

Being my first diesel, it took me a while to get used to the clutch releases and acceleration especially with the clutch switch which comes on this car. Now after 21k kms, the shifts are as smooth as a petrol, if not better. Be it upshifts or downshifts or half clutch in first gear, it's smooth delivery.

I too had the same issue initially and blamed it on the clutch switch and myself. Now I enjoy working the gears and I use engine braking by downshifting quite often too, which would have helped in bedding in the clutch faster too.
As for the gear shift being notchy, spraying some grease oil on the linkages will help smoothen it.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 10:12   #90

Bumping this thread to ask all the members about how does the Seltos Diesel 1.5 CRDi stand up against all the other engines? Especially the 1.5 TDCI? My dad is hunting for a C-SUV and it is now between EcoSport S Diesel vs Seltos HTX 1.5 Diesel. I know that these are cars from 2 different segments in terms of pricing and size but it is between these two now. Which one would you guys recommend as a balanced but fun to drive engine? The features will fade away in a few months and after that it will be the engine which will bring a smile to his face so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks