Team-BHP - Tata Blackbird: Creta-rivaling SUV being developed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Tata Blackbird: Creta-rivaling SUV being developed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/207064-tata-blackbird-creta-rivaling-suv-being-developed.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 4546173)
Tata should also look at another SUV offering between the Nexon and the Harrier. There is a big gap between those two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arif_t01 (Post 4546271)
I second this opinion. The size should be similar to Creta/S-Cross and price between 10 to 15 Lakhs on road.

Just about when we have the ALTROZ launch nearing & the H7X testing, the next bomb Tata seems to have dropped is the new bird code named - BLACKBIRD

A SUV targeted at the slot between Nexon & Harrier aka Creta competitor [4.2M length]. The SUV will share its platform with the upcoming ALTROZ

Seems this space is heating up intensely - Nissan Kicks, Tata Harrier, MG Hector & upcoming Skoda Kamiq & VW T-Cross (MQB A0 IN), Maruti (Creta Competitor)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4550822

Quoting from the 45X thread, this is what I was hoping for as mentioned before.

Don't know if it's genuine or not, but if it is I will be very happy to have it. When Nexon launched, I was hoping to upgrade to that from my Vista, but dropped it primarily due to the size (felt same as Vista) & massive blind spots in the rear due to thick panels. Harrier was very good as a Product, but rejected due to the size (too big for City use) & way out of budget. I was now looking forward to 45X, when to make things further complicated here comes the news of yet another C-SUV of perfect size for City use. I was not interested in the Hornbill, due to the bulbous shape.

Anyhow, I have decided to wait till 2020 April for BSVI emission norms to kick in, so I have plenty of time to choose. Meanwhile, my Vista has clocked 1.8L kms in 8 years.

P.S: @mods, time for a new thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arif_t01 (Post 4550936)
When Nexon launched, I was hoping to upgrade to that from my Vista, but dropped it primarily due to the size (felt same as Vista) & massive blind spots in the rear due to thick panels. Harrier was very good as a Product, but rejected due to the size (too big for City use) & way out of budget.

Meanwhile, my Vista has clocked 1.8L kms in 8 years.

In an other world, we must be twins!! Practically the same thoughts on the Nexon and Harrier. My Vista is at 1.43L kms in 7 years!!

Tata developing Creta-sized ‘Blackbird’ SUV. Prioritizes the SUV over the Sedan plan.

All-new SUV from Tata Motors will slot in between the Nexon and the Harrier; likely to be offered in EV form.

Likely to launch in 2021.

Quote:

Originally, Tata Motors had to pick between making a new sedan that would rival the Honda City, or a new SUV. Unsurprisingly, the ever-growing demand for SUVs swung the decision in favour of the latter option
Tata Blackbird: Creta-rivaling SUV being developed-1.jpg

Quote:

Internally known as ‘Blackbird’, this new Tata SUV is designed to fit in between the Nexon and Harrier. The Nexon is a proper sub-four-metre offering, and the Harrier is a 4.5-metre-long, full-size SUV. There’s a vast gap between the two in terms of size as well as price – the Nexon is priced between Rs 6.36-10.80 lakh, while the Harrier costs Rs 12.69-16.25 lakh (all prices, ex-showroom). Tata Motors has identified this gap, and will fill it with the Blackbird SUV.
Quote:

Expected to measure in at 4.2 metres in length (or about the same size as the Hyundai Creta), the Tata Blackbird will be the first product on the Alfa platform to be more than four metres in length. Engine options for the Blackbird aren’t yet known, but it’s likely to use a more powerful version of the Nexon’s 1.2-litre turbo-petrol engine making around 120hp, along with an upgraded version of the Nexon’s 1.5-litre diesel engine
Link

Complicated scenario.

Size wise, yes - there is a gap to be filled in their portfolio between the sub-4m Nexon and the giant sized Harrier, something rivalling Creta will surely hit the sweet spot in terms of size for the urban environment.

Problem however, is in the pricing - with very little price gap left between the Nexon top end at 10.8 lakhs and the Harrier base verision at 12.65 lakhs. Will be interesting to see how a new SUV is positioned between these two - without affecting either.

My guess is that Nexon will be eventually replaced (It was an interim product in the Horizonext portfolio, the last in their lineup to use an old platform) with two SUVs - Hornbill below, and Blackbird above - making it a more balanced portfolio of SUVs, along with the Harrier and H7X.

Will this segment replace the sub<4m S/CUV, that currently is in demand. It will be priced competitively if it will be offered as a EV or Hybrid( assuming subsidies will be attractive )

- Will phase out some of the current products to accommodate pricing

- Will go up the ladder in pricing and will draw more profits to manufacturers.

- Will spin into a 7 seat SUV

Customers will have an array of products as literally all manufacturers are vying for as piece in this growing 'CRETA' segment.

Here are the likely known choices:

Hyundai's New Creta - Skoda's KAMIQ - Toyota's Hybrid SUV- Suzuki's Hybrid SUV -Kia - MG Motors - Volkswagen T Cross -Mahindra's SUV , Ford's SUV.

Thanks for sharing, Arif! Moving your post to a new thread.

This new SUV can be a strong rival to the Creta. But by the time it comes in showrooms, the Creta will be way ahead, possibly with the next gen car out and flying off the shelf. Good Luck Tata.

I hope Tata comes up with a refined four-cylinder 1.5-litre diesel for the 45X and this Creta SUV. They need one big time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx45 (Post 4551161)
This new SUV can be a strong rival to the Creta. But by the time it comes in showrooms, the Creta will be way ahead, possibly with the next gen car out and flying off the shelf. Good Luck Tata.

I hope Tata comes up with a refined four-cylinder 1.5-litre diesel for the 45X and this Creta SUV. They need one big time.

Why do you think Nexon's 4 cylinder 1.5 litre diesel engine is not sufficient for both 45X (same power output) & Blackbird (delivering higher power output). I think it's refined enough & has more than enough power in current tune for Nexon.

Considering Tata motors new design language, the Blackbird would surely look awesome! Hope they take proper amount of time to deliver a niggle free product with all the features/options (AT, sunroof etc) right at launch and not rush it like the Harrier.

New Tata SUV planned to fill gap between Nexon and Harrier – Sedan cancelled

Tata Motors is reportedly working on a new compact SUV, which will be bigger than Nexon, but smaller than Harrier. (Source)

At the 2018 Geneva Motor Show, Tata Motors showcased a new sedan concept called E-Vision. This resulted in new reports claiming Tata to be developing a new sedan to take on the likes of Honda City and Maruti Ciaz. But, the growing demand of SUVs, and the dying demand for sedans, has resulted in the canning of the Tata sedan project.

Instead, Tata Motors will be launching yet another SUV. Yes, one more SUV. A completely new SUV which will sit above the Nexon, but below the Harrier in the company line-up. Called Blackbird internally, the project has just been green signalled. And it comes at the cost of the sedan, which is now cancelled.

Research and consumer data clearly revealed that it was SUVs which were more in demand. Nexon is a sub 4 meter SUV which is priced in Rs 6-11 lakhs while Harrier is a full sized SUV which is priced in the range of Rs 13-17 lakhs. In between the two, there is a huge price gap. And it is this gap, which Tata intends to fulfill with Blackbird.

In this gap, it could have been a sedan, to take on Maruti Ciaz, or a SUV to take on Hyundai Creta. Sales data and consumer preference clearly show that it is the SUVs which are enjoying more demand. Thus Tata Motors decided to go ahead with the SUV, and not with sedan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlK0RKoJF-4

At the 2018 Auto Expo, Tata Motors had teased a total of six new cars (seen in the video above, starting from 7 second mark). 3 of them are based on the Alfa platform, and 3 are based on the Omega Arc platform. Compared to the latter, the former is a low cost option. This is the reason more expensive cars will be based on Omega Arc, while less expensive ones will be based on Alfa. For example, Harrier, upcoming H7X Buzzard SUV are based on Omega Arc, while upcoming Hornbill, Altroz are based on the Alfa platform.

The new Tata Blackbird SUV will be built on the Alfa platform, and not on the Omega Arc platform – to keep costs in check. It was technically not possible to develop a SUV in the Rs 8-13 lakh range based on the Omega Arc platform, and thus Tata Motors decided to go ahead and build the SUV on Alfa platform.

Engine options are not yet revealed. But expect the Blackbird SUV to be powered by same petrol and diesel engine options which are on offer with Nexon, but in a more powerful state of tune. Expect the concept Blackbird SUV to make debut as a concept at the 2020 Auto Expo in Feb next year, while launch could take place by 2021.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4551125)
My guess is that Nexon will be eventually replaced (It was an interim product in the Horizonext portfolio, the last in their lineup to use an old platform) with two SUVs - Hornbill below, and Blackbird above - making it a more balanced portfolio of SUVs, along with the Harrier and H7X.

I completely agree with the same. Hornbill, blackbird and Harrier will fill the gaps along the segments. Nexon being the opener of TATAs new gen SUV journey.

Why can't the blackbird be Nexon 2.0 ? Why should Tata leave behind the Nexon brandname?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arif_t01 (Post 4551180)
Why do you think Nexon's 4 cylinder 1.5 litre diesel engine is not sufficient for both 45X (same power output) & Blackbird (delivering higher power output). I think it's refined enough & has more than enough power in current tune for Nexon.

It maybe my personal observation, but the newer 1.5's like the one seen on the Marazzo and XUV300 are much more refined. I am sure the folks at Tata are watching these developments.

Maybe Harrier will move up the price ladder to accomodate Blackbird.

Got to love the way TATA is thinking and the timelines look aggressive too (comparing how it used to be). TATA is riding the correct wave and is just taking the right decisions. In the next 2-3 years, I am sure they'll raise the Harrier prices and make a better space for the Blackbird to slot in. Start at around 8.5L and go till the mid way of Harrier price - gives ample space to place all their variants. The trick is to hold the prices of Nexon in the mean time, especially for the lower variants.

I love the code-name. BlackBird Heck that's what they should call it. I would buy it just for that name. "I drive the BlackBird" - how cool is that!!