Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 20:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

5 lakh Hyundai Cretas sold globally

Hyundai has sold 5 lakh units of the Creta globally since its launch in 2015. The carmaker has sold 3.7 lakh units of the compact SUV in India and 1.4 lakh units in export markets.

5 lakh Hyundai Cretas sold globally-hyundais-perfect-suv-creta-crosses-over-5-lakh-sales-milestones.jpg

The Hyundai Creta was launched in India back in July 2015. In May 2018, the carmaker updated the SUV by giving it a facelift and introduced new features. Last month, Hyundai introduced a new top-spec variant called the SX (O) Executive with features such as ventilated front seats, automatic climate control, electric sunroof, cruise control, 6-way power adjustable driver seat, LED tail lamps, Smart Key Band and wireless charging.

The Creta is currently available with a choice of petrol and diesel engines, which include a 1.6-litre, 4-cylinder petrol unit that produces 121 BHP @ 6,400 rpm and 151 Nm of torque @ 4,850 rpm, 1.4-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that makes 89 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 220 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm and a 1.6-litre diesel engine that puts out 126 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 260 Nm @ 1,500-3,000 rpm. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 21:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 5 lakh Hyundai Cretas sold globally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai has sold 5 lakh units of the Creta globally since its launch in 2015. The carmaker has sold 3.7 lakh units of the compact SUV in India and 1.4 lakh units in export markets.
I think these numbers are for vehicles produced by Hyundai India for domestic and export markets.

Any information about it's sibling ix25 ? As that would give full extent of it's success.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 22:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the biggest blockbusters in the Indian Market I would say. Especially considering the price at which it is sold. Quite amazed at the way it consistently averages 10k units per month. The only comparable car (large volumes at a premium price) is the Innova, but the Innova has the advantage of being the go to choice in the taxi market too. Makes the Creta's sales achievement even more note worthy. From an Indian Customer mentality- Perfect example of a 'safe buy'.
Rajeevraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 09:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
... From an Indian Customer mentality- Perfect example of a 'safe buy'.
+1 to this. Creta has become synonymous to the word urban SUV in India now. Its like what Honda city was to sedan buyers around previous decade. Now SUV = Creta for general public in that 12-16L segment.

A friend of mine(non-petrohead) who already owns an EcoSport is looking for a bigger car and without even checking anything else he has decided to buy a CRETA. I tried convincing him to atleast see other options like Kicks or Harrier but they aren't even interested to check those out. Their reasoning being : TATA has a cab image(wonder how long this will continue) & for Kicks (why take risk with unproven products).

Hyundai has managed to become a household name with immense trust in 2 specific segments. Premium hatch(i20) & urban SUV(CRETA)

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th February 2019 at 09:49.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 11:32   #5
BHPian

It looked a winner at launch but nobody anticipated the extent of its success. Easy to see why it's a neutral favorite though - generically good looks coupled with a premium looking cabin and easy to drive Hyundai DNA.

Also, it must be the biggest revenue makers for Hyundai lately because it sure is overpriced for the features (costs) it comes at.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 11:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

I ended up buying a Creta one year ago, although it was not even on my initial list.

The thing with the Creta is that its the right size for urban markets, and is extremely easy to use in the city. And one huge factor is that the car is extremely comfortable to drive and to be seated in.

But the biggest factor for success would be that fact that its got so many variants and engine gear box combinations. Prices start as low as 11 lakhs and go up to 18 lakhs! So it covers a very wide price band and sort of offers something for everyone.

Flip side is that it does feel a little expensive, considering most of the entry and mid level variants lack a lot of features.

And to all those folks who keep stating that the Creta is a souped up i20, well its not.
We bought an elite i20 just 3 months ago and I can tell you that they are 2 very different cars. In fact from what ever little I know, the Creta is based on the earlier Elantra platform and almost has nothing common with the i20 apart from some common parts like some of the switch gear like the speedometer consoles etc.

Often the Creta fails to find enthusiasm from auto enthusiasts, which is sort of fair. And I used to think the same way too. But owning one in an urban environment feels just right.
motorworks is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 13:01   #7
BHPian

Creta indeed has been a phenomenal success in Indian market considering the Urban SUV it presents and coming from a brand like Hyundai who have ticked all the check boxes by
a) Having it > 4m length and thus giving enough and more space for luggage and passengers. Excellent aspirational value

b) Superb Petrol and Diesel engines. Moreover, with the range starting from 1.4L to 1.6L, it serves a vast majority of Indian population across price range.

c) ATs especially Diesel AT. No other car in this segment is having a Diesel AT, moreover the likes of Duster are getting dusted and clearly they are removing ATs from their top -1 model. XUV 5OO being another good competitor at same price is a tad larger profile for city driving. All new launches have no ATs at the moment. A segment completely opened up for Hyundai only

d) Bells and Whistles - While it never came with enough of them, it has slowly and steadily only increased onto them.

End Result - Robust sales of 10k per month at a price range which is 1.5 - 2L dearer than what it should have been.
I think the competitors have given it to Hyundai on platter
Cooltronics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 16:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
One of the biggest blockbusters in the Indian Market I would say. Especially considering the price at which it is sold. Quite amazed at the way it consistently averages 10k units per month.
So true. Selling 10,000 copies of a 15-lakh product was unheard of in the Indian market. The previous record breaker was the XUV500 with its ~4,000 / month sales, but the Creta has blown it out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Creta has become synonymous to the word urban SUV in India now. Its like what Honda city was to sedan buyers around previous decade.
Well said, Soumen! And what's unique about the Creta is that everyone likes it (as is the case with the City). Youngsters, married couples, the elderly, single women...you name the class of customer and they're a fan of the Creta.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 17:48   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I never thought it would do so well considering it was atleast a lakh more than it was expected. And it now cost almost 20 big ones on road now. Also, I was allotted the car pretty soon right after the price announcement which made me think that it won't do well (considering that I had to wait for 3 months to get the Ecosport).

It may not be a true SUV and won't be dynamically engaging but for a guy like me it was the perfect upgrade - Swift -> Ecosport -> Creta. The engine was the thing that got me hooked to it and I wasn't really bothered whether it would take the curve at triple digit speed etc. It's just a brilliant highway cruiser and great for your daily city commute which was what I wanted.

Of course, there are lot of things I wish it had but for most people this should be good.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2019, 22:14   #10
BHPian

When Creta was launched I disliked it due to pricing and lack of features.
Between S-Cross and Creta I was biased towards S-Cross and two years ago I had nearly booked a S-Cross.

But in two years lot of things changed. S-Cross was a flop from Maruti standards and the facelift removed the enticing 1.6L engine .

Hyundai on the other hand launched the Creta facelift with some good upgrades like Android Auto, Sunroof, Cruise control etc.

My requirements also changed and needed a family car with ease of automatic in urban conditions. This meant I had to stop looking from an enthusiasts point of view.

Creta checked all boxes with good engine and automatic gearbox combination which no other car provided in this segment . The wife was also happy with rear AC vents, sunroof, generous legroom, and boot space.

The car is still priced high and one the reason that contributes to it are the additional taxes for a 1.6L engine.

Fortunately for me due to high resale value of the Creta, I ended up paying less amount in EMI, as I bought it under company lease on Market RV basis.

To give some perspective, EMI for petrol and diesal Creta was coming out to be same even though diesal variant costs 1.5 lakhs more.

For me it was a no brainer and got ourselves a 2019 Creta Diesal SX automatic
For me going from a Wagon R to Creta was a big upgrade too, considering the fact I was driving Wagon R for last 7 years.

Last edited by born_free : 28th February 2019 at 22:41.
born_free is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 13:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I ended up buying a Creta one year ago, although it was not even on my initial list.
Even I ended up buying facelifted Creta D SX(O) in December 2018. It was not in my list as well. It was an upgrade from my 9 year old Ritz. It was added to the list in the last few days.
4.2 m SUV good to drive in urban conditions and it never fails on the open roads too. The car really moves around without much acceleration. The cabin is well insulated.

The only put down is, it does not handle well in corners as I expected it to be.
Not sure if this is the same with other owners. The car has clocked 5200 kms now. I am still on stock tyres though.
Even my Ritz used to handle better than this . But yes, both are poles apart and need to understand that I am driving a SUV.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th March 2019 at 16:03. Reason: Typo
Old 5th March 2019, 13:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
It was not in my list as well.
Ditto as I upgraded from my i10 in 2017. My limited budget only allowed the entry variant Creta which is barebones. Almost finalized Duster AMT but was put off by Renault's attitude in customer handling and response. Went to check out i20 and ended up booking a Creta and then changing the booking to AT-D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks