Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:39   #1
BHPian

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to get 160 HP 2.0-litre BS6 diesel engine

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to get new 160hp, 2.0-litre BS6 diesel engine
codename Z101 - Expected Launch 2020

Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to get 160 HP 2.0-litre BS6 diesel engine-20190302_110426.jpg

Quote:

The new 2.0-litre diesel engine is being developed to offer three different states of tune. Of the three, the mid-spec, 160hp version of this engine – said to weigh 80kg less than the outgoing 2.2-litre mHawk unit – will likely power the next-gen Scorpio. Along with the hike in power, the 2.0-litre diesel will also likely bring more torque to the table, with an output higher than the 320Nm generated by the current-gen Scorpio’s mHawk engine. In addition to a 6-speed manual, Mahindra could also look at offering an automatic gearbox on the new Scorpio as demand for ATs continues to grow. A four-wheel-drive variant could also be on the cards.

According to company sources, the new Mahindra Scorpio (codenamed Z101) will be the second product after the Marazzo to be conceptualised and shaped at Mahindra’s North American Technical Centre. To be engineered and developed at the Mahindra Research Valley, in Chennai, the new Scorpio will remain a body-on-frame SUV like the current model, but with updated underpinnings.
LINK
JS Kwt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to get new 160HP, 2.0-litre BS6 Diesel engine- codename Z101- Launch 2

Presently the news around the next Scorpio is all great. Even better engine, much better safety and handling, a better space management and most importantly price positioning is planned to be exactly where it is. Mahindra knows Scorpio will not bring volumes like before because much of its attributes are distributed across the TUV and the Marazzo, but they want to keep the icon going as it still continues to earn respect in the minds of rural India.

Just hoping against hope that in trying to address all the additional attributes, the key feature of the Scorpio, its Butch/Macho appeal/proportions is not lost.
1100D is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 00:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to get new 160HP, 2.0-litre BS6 Diesel engine- codename Z101- Launch 2

Safari fanboy here.

Never liked the Scorpio, except that it's fairly easy to drive in the city compared to the truck that Safari is.

But all the above details are too juicy.

Strong and torquey engine. ✓

Body on frame ✓

Rumoured lower stance ✓✓✓

4X4 ✓

And going by recent Mahindra launches, good equipment levels and features.

Sorry Tata, I had dreamt of the X2 platform being used in the next gen Safari, Sumo or Xenon. Neither can we see big engines being developed by Tata.

Only possible problem is Mahindra's interior plastics... Just don't know why I hate them.

Can't wait for the scoops of the new Scorpio (and Thar) to come flowing in.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 08:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

The interior plastics in the new Scorpio are pretty solid - they look dull but fit and finish is just fine. Take another look I would say. Mahindra has been incrementally improving their build quality over the years I must say.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Just hoping against hope that in trying to address all the additional attributes, the key feature of the Scorpio, its Butch/Macho appeal/proportions is not lost.
That pretty much sums it up. If they have to make it compatible with the pedestrian safety norms, I am guessing, it would lose some of that butch looks.

On the price front, considering the current top end (S10, 4wd) is fairly close to the 20 lakh mark, this update will surely push most trims south of 15 and the top beyond 20. I say so, because being BS6, it would anyways be a fair bit higher priced than the outgoing model. Add all the tweaks and improvements Mahindra is planning, and it's not too hard to see it move up the price ladder.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
On the price front, considering the current top end (S10, 4wd) is fairly close to the 20 lakh mark, this update will surely push most trims south of 15 and the top beyond 20. I say so, because being BS6, it would anyways be a fair bit higher priced than the outgoing model. Add all the tweaks and improvements Mahindra is planning, and it's not too hard to see it move up the price ladder.
My guess is the presence of Rexton and Xuv500 means there maybe a limit to how much more expensive the next gen Scorpio can get.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 13:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
My guess is the presence of Rexton and Xuv500 means there maybe a limit to how much more expensive the next gen Scorpio can get.
Scoop says there will be 3 states of tune for this engine, with the Scorp getting the middle tune. So, XUV and Rexton will get the Top tune and also move up the ladder releasing space for the Scorp.

Essentially we will be getting to a point where sub-10 lakhs OTR will be hatch territory and actual SUVs will only start beyond 15 OTR. Not good times, sure, but with BS6 that seems to be imminent.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 23:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This is good news. The Scorpio and the Bolero have earned the bread and butter for M and M in the SUV and MUV spaces, since about 16 and 18 years respectively. Despite the fact that many other prodcuts have come and some gone, these two old workhorses sell the most among all M and M products. As regards the Scorpio and the crowding of the SUV space lately, loyalists always crave for updates and more while sticking on to an upgraded version. A Scorpio owner has mostly praises to shower and say about his SUV as a very trusted performer over the years.

The NCAP star ratings and the BS VI norms are to get implemented soon. Hence, I doubt as to whether the new Scorpio will carry on with its ladder and frame chassis to score the NCAP stars (it scored zero about two years ago). The engine is pretty good and now after shedding 80 Kg , powered with 160 bhp and a higher torque, it will soar in popularity.

My Scorpio is already 10 years old and is still doing its duties flawlessly for me. Maintenance is at a minimum, spares are affordable and it handles very well in city and outside city traffic. Never had I to crank the engine for a second time to start the SUV.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd March 2019 at 23:52.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 09:34   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio to get 160 HP 2.0-litre BS6 diesel engine

Sure love the way the market is moving . In the mid-2000s, the Mercedes C220 & E220 had ~140 BHP. Today's regular SUVs are soon to cross that. But more than anything, this caught my eye:
Quote:
the new Mahindra Scorpio (codenamed Z101) will be the second product after the Marazzo to be conceptualised and shaped at Mahindra’s North American Technical Centre.
Am happy with the styling & space management of the Marazzo. Hopefully, the new Scorpio will also have cabin space deserving of its exterior footprint (current Scorpio is so cramped). Mahindra had better improve its ride & handling too.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 09:56   #10
BHPian

It's surprising that when entire Automotive industry is moving away from Diesel, M&M is moving towards new Diesel engine development. Probably they are playing to their strengths.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 10:31   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
It's surprising that when entire Automotive industry is moving away from Diesel
In India, diesels are going to dominate large / body-on-frame utility vehicles for a long time to come. They are a lot more efficient than petrols. A large diesel UV will still give you 10 - 12 kmpl, while a petrol will struggle at 5 - 6 kmpl.

Hybrids will come first, but it's a while before they go mainstream. Electric vehicles are just a pipe dream today. Even in the USA, they account for <1% of sales.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks