Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 12:49   #16

Re: The Comprehensive Guide to Automatic Cars (2019 edition)

RajeevRaj, Very informative and data rich post and throws lots of insights.
With the traffic increasing everyday, especially in metros, many have started to bring in automatic for their daily commute which is really a boon to our left leg.
Manufacturers are capitalizing on this comfort factor and stated to improve the AMTs as well.
traV_mach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 13:34   #17
BHPian

I might be a bit of a niche buyer, but my below requirements are not available with an AT. :(

- SUV with 4*4 and AT
- At least 6 airbags and ISOFIX seats.
- Under 22 Lakhs

Closest option is the XUV W11 AWD AT, but without ISOFIX seats.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 14:17   #18
BHPian

This is a great compilation of AT cars! Really gives a great insight of the demand of AT cars in today's times.

However one SUV is missing from the report: The Isuzu MU-X! It is also automatic and has decent safety kit.
RoadGlide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 15:46   #19
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for Harrier and XUV 300 AT
Currently driving Rapid Diesel DSG
My last car was Amaze CVT

No I haven't forgotten to drive MT despite driving AT for last 6 years!

But DSG experience has been better compared to CVT for sure, no rubber band effect at all, gears shifts seamlessly on my Rapid.

Need feedback on Creta Diesel AT as I may end up buying this if Harrier or XUV 300 AT doesn't launch within a year!!
Subroto Bhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 16:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

An observation over the years is that by and large, ATs are not that less fuel efficient than their manual counterparts, with some of them being marginally more fuel efficient even.

An average (or uninformed) buyer sometimes is at a loss to compare and distinguish between various types of ATs with some OEMs confusing the customer further, playing on the inherent characteristics of each transmission. I also wish there was more awareness from prospective customers than be led by the smooth talking salesman!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 16:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
I was also looking for comparison among AT gearboxes. More specifically, how to choose between DCT, TC, DSG and CVT and what different purposes they serve?

You could refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ou-prefer.html (Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?)
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 19:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Exactly the thread I had been waiting for. Great compilation Rajeev Raj. Would request to attach the available options in the xcel format (post#3) so that we could sort and play to ones requirement. Would it also be possible to present the priority of the automatic gear boxes in terms of performance.?

How are the Automatic cars compared to manual ones in terms of pick up, torque, mileage?
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 22:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread. Thanks for the effort for compiling all this together. Automatic cars aren't novelty items anymore, they are the way of life in urban India. Also, the introduction of ATs in the lower segments gets more new drivers buying cars.

A few years ago, the City and Verna were offering ATs. Not many cars below that segment were offering options. The Ciaz AT in my house replaced an Innova and a Getz and my parents love the car. It more than does the job of getting them from point A -> B in supreme comfort. I'd go as far to say that it is the best AT if blazing down expressways is not your priority.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 14th March 2019 at 22:21.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 12:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great thread with 'wow' levels of data and aggregation.

I, for one, have never driven a MT car beyond test drives / garage shifting. Reason - learnt to drive in USA and spent the initial years driving only autoboxes. Once I returned to India, did not feel confident enough driving stick shifts, and only bought AT cars.

With the current level of congestion in and around the cities, I am surprised that why everyone living / driving around those area is NOT buying an automatic car, citing reasons like 'fun to drive' (what fun can one derive driving in choc-a-bloc traffic during office hours?) & 'fuel efficiency' (swapping 100s of gear changes & clutching, for 1 kmpl less FE is a fair trade IMO). Also, you save your left knee from wearing out.

But sooner or later everyone has to shift to 'gearless' mode of driving, electric cars are the only way going forward, and there ain't any gears to grind in them.
blackasta is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 22:24   #25
BHPian

Fantastic thread and a great compilation Rajeev Raj. Such high levels of data and analysis make this thread a great ready reckoner for anyone in the hunt for an automatic. In the limited interaction I had with automatics I was not particularly impressed. For me, it would still be an MT for my next car.
Going forward, with the heavy emphasis on EVs and hassle-free driving experience, automatics will rule the roost. Only time will tell whether MTs will be a dying breed.
Kuldeep31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 10:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post

Taxi market is price sensitive (obviously) and hence the drivers/operators do not pick the AT variant. For any model:

Only when the price difference becomes NILL between MT and AT options of a particular car which is a hit in the Taxi market, you will see the AT cabs. Now this is unlikely to happen soon. Alternatively, if the manufacturer who is targeting the Taxi market with specific models (such as Maruti with Dzire and Hyundai with Xcent) decides to launch a AT only model, we can see those cabs on the roads
Good points. Yes, the taxi market is not conducive for AT's currently. That is why there needs to be a focused effort in this space from manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
I firmly believe that in Indian traffic and road conditions, regular joes should buy an AT only. It'll suffice most of the city driving and occasional highway trips. MTs are better left to enthusiasts and thrill seekers, no offence meant to either groups!
This was the scenario in the major Metro's until very recently. Now, no one is surprised when someone they know buys an AT. The other aspect is most folks as you said have never experienced an AT and hence really do not know the convenience it offers. Majority buy cars as a point A to B transport. The knowledge about AT's will is slowly trickling down to the Tier 2 and 3 cities. The fact that we have so many options now is an indicator of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Thanks for this wonderful thread on ATs.

Would it be possible to upload the spreadsheet of the entire list? It is a bit cumbersome reading the info through images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Exactly the thread I had been waiting for. Great compilation Rajeev Raj. Would request to attach the available options in the xcel format (post#3) so that we could sort and play to ones requirement. Would it also be possible to present the priority of the automatic gear boxes in terms of performance.?

How are the Automatic cars compared to manual ones in terms of pick up, torque, mileage?
Will upload the list. Working out the best way to make it accessible without the compilation being misused for any commercial purpose by other sites/organizations.

This thread is a good comparo on the different AT technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Almost went for an AT because of Bangalore traffic when we switched cars late last year. What stopped us and made us go for a manual instead:
*(this may be a silly one) Didn't want to forget 'how' to drive an MT! Keep hearing stories of people in the US who cannot drive an MT because they have been so used to ATs.
Yes, for a discerning driver, the mass market AMT options will just not work out. Also, if you have driven MT's for a reasonable amount of time, then you will never forget. I have been driving an AT for 5+ years now and rarely drive an MT(because all family cars are also now AT). But when the need comes, there is absolutely no issue. It comes back very naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
This is a great compilation of AT cars! Really gives a great insight of the demand of AT cars in today's times.

However one SUV is missing from the report: The Isuzu MU-X! It is also automatic and has decent safety kit.
Great catch. Since it does not come in the sales chart. Missed it. But will add it into the excel sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

An average (or uninformed) buyer sometimes is at a loss to compare and distinguish between various types of ATs with some OEMs confusing the customer further, playing on the inherent characteristics of each transmission. I also wish there was more awareness from prospective customers than be led by the smooth talking salesman!
Yes, the issue with number of options that is currently available is that the customer is confused. Manufacturers call the same things by different names and it really confuses the buyer. This thread and the related threads around it is an attempt to help give some clarity in this relatively new but rapidly increasing AT landscape.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th March 2019 at 10:47.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 11:48   #27
BHPian

ATs comes as blessings for me in Bangalore traffic. Never thought I would be buying an AT just after buying a Duster in less than 3 yrs. The rides to office became pathetic will the heavy clutch of duster in bumper to bumper traffic and my left leg literally used to pain after an 1.5hrs of drive from office to home every evening. There the idea came for buying an AT and we zeroed on Grand I 10 AT. Oh boy, what an fantastic car to drive in city. My stress level has now come down drastically and no more fear of my office trip and short trips within city. The only grudge would be the very poor mileage of I10 AT though.

However for long trips it’s Duster without a second thought. Amazing drive quality and the confidence it gives to munch more and more miles
SNayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 16:38   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Incredible thread - something that is a true labor of love and ranks among the best on the forum.

I started off as a manual fanatic - test drove the Honda City (2nd Gen) CVT but went for the manual GX version instead back in 2004. But my last three cars, starting with the Superb in 2010 have all been automatics, and I have not driven a manual since 2013 when we switched from a Getz to a Vento.

I do agree to an extent with those who worry about forgetting to drive a manual - but once you switch to an automatic, there is no reason to switch back and hence that is an irrelevant worry. Of course one reason why the number of automatic variants has risen so much is due to the prevalence of the AMT - have never driven one and have a strong prejudice against this technology, but obviously the people who buy them find them a good compromise and hence they are spreading like wildfire.

If you added the luxury segment, the number of automatic variants would only rise - not sure if any of the luxury models is available with a manual. At the end, I think the only manuals will be taxis - until at some point, drivers refuse to drive manuals and force taxi owners to switch.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 00:15   #29

Lower cost difference between manual and AMT variants is a major driver of rise in automatic variant of cars. In my recent search almost all sales guys (irrespective of brand) were very enthusiastic in showing off the features of the automatic gearboxes.
The availability of manual mode in almost all AMT is also a great selling point for the sales team as they pitch it to be the best of both worlds. Convenience and good mileage along with the option to manually control the gears.
The evolution if AMT gearboxes in the relatively short duration since the introduction also suggests that companies are taking it seriously. The DZIRE billboards showcase the automatic feature very prominently.
Like the touch screen ICE, an automatic option is also a USP for most products and a fair number of them have automatic variants even in the top of line trim.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:06   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Great thread with 'wow' levels of data and aggregation.

I, for one, have never driven a MT car beyond test drives / garage shifting. Reason - learnt to drive in USA and spent the initial years driving only autoboxes. Once I returned to India, did not feel confident enough driving stick shifts, and only bought AT cars.

With the current level of congestion in and around the cities, I am surprised that why everyone living / driving around those area is NOT buying an automatic car, citing reasons like 'fun to drive' (what fun can one derive driving in choc-a-bloc traffic during office hours?) & 'fuel efficiency' (swapping 100s of gear changes & clutching, for 1 kmpl less FE is a fair trade IMO). Also, you save your left knee from wearing out.

But sooner or later everyone has to shift to 'gearless' mode of driving, electric cars are the only way going forward, and there ain't any gears to grind in them.
Great take on the subject, blackasta! I endorse fully - the only reason I haven't yet gone for an auto transmission is simple - the Scorpio '04 which I ran for 14+ years, did not offer one. And the Eeco which I drive now, also doesn't offer one! When there is an AMT on offer (on a RWD only) within my budget I will certainly go for it.

I'm very much in the AMT corner as I've mentioned earlier in the thread - mainly because it is a much simpler unit & the hydro/electronic servo system has now acquired the degree of reliability & ruggedness needed for peace of mind.

And electric cars - Ah! A wonderful thought & I'm waiting for the day it is here to stay!

Last edited by shashanka : 18th March 2019 at 07:12.

Most Viewed