Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 20:01   #151
BHPian

Re: The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
I can't say about about Renault India's plans, but:
The K9K diesel 110 is very much in sale in UK in the Duster, where I believe Euro 6 is the norm. The engine there uses a Diesel Particulate Filter and Diesel Exhaust Fluid as additives. You can check it out in the UK Dacia Duster forums.
It is available in the UK and a derivate of the engine is also used by Mercedes Benz in their A180d.
But lazy Renault India has no plans to sell diesel engines from 2020.

I consider this as facelift as a stock clearance move to finish off their K9K stocks. But I do hope they come up with the a BS6 diesel.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ars-india.html (Rumour: Renault-Nissan to stop selling diesel cars in India)
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 21:25   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
If I was in the market today, I don't think I would cross shop the Seltos and Duster. The Seltos will be an aspirational/premium product for those willing to spend >17-18akhs and upgrading from a Verna/City/Ecosport etc. The Duster on the other hand is a proven workhorse that fits more on the utility/VFM side of things at 10-11lakhs. They are two different ends of the same segment and the 8-9lakh difference in price means they will have an almost mutually exclusive set of buyers. Just as a Tiguan buyer will seldom consider a Seltos. I wouldn't be too surprised if Renault is actually making more money per Duster than MG or Kia will make with the Hector or Seltos.
I don't think you understood what I was saying entirely. The Kia Seltos is a new brand so is MG. The Seltos is basically a 2nd gen Creta underneath. But look at how different it is from Creta.

Then look at Mahindra who got the XUV3OO few months back with 7 airbags, ESP, all round disc brakes, dual zone climate control, sunroof, steering modes and more.

Renault had the opportunity to get the international Duster and make it competitive as the Duster had a name for itself and built a reputation.

They could have used that to cash in and sell a lot more cars with a comprehensively updated product that would match these new gen cars in features.

Instead we get this half hearted attempt which will do more damage to the Duster brand than any good.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 00:08   #153
BHPian

This is seriously disappointing from Renault India. They are going the GM way and I doubt by 2022 they would even survive in a fierce market like India. Even Mahindra is making a more sincere effort with it’s Thar which never was a high selling product. Renault India has lost the plot completely and with this so called refresh model which essentially is nothing than a bad cosmetic job they have made a joke out of themselves only by underestimating the Indian customer. Renault Nissan deserve no second chance from us when their commitment is so shoddy towards our market.
Old 10th July 2019, 17:14   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't think you understood what I was saying entirely. The Kia Seltos is a new brand so is MG. The Seltos is basically a 2nd gen Creta underneath. But look at how different it is from Creta.

Then look at Mahindra who got the XUV3OO few months back with 7 airbags, ESP, all round disc brakes, dual zone climate control, sunroof, steering modes and more.

Renault had the opportunity to get the international Duster and make it competitive as the Duster had a name for itself and built a reputation.

They could have used that to cash in and sell a lot more cars with a comprehensively updated product that would match these new gen cars in features.

Instead we get this half hearted attempt which will do more damage to the Duster brand than any good.
The W8 AMT XUV300 is at a ridiculous 15.1 OTR in Pune. This for a rebadged Mahindra. if there was ever a joke on the Indian consumer, this is it.
The potential replacement for my 14.5lakh OTR 2017 Auto Petrol Creta is going to be a ~20lakh Seltos or next generation Creta.
Sorry, but I value my money enough to not spend it on such crazy price increases which are justified mainly by features that I will not use or are not what they are actually cracked out to be. Of course people will need them and buy these cars but I'm happy that there are options in the segment across a wide price range. Renault sticking with their Duster plans gives people options that they wouldn't have if all compact SUVs were at one end of the spectrum. The market needs options and if you don't like it don't buy it. Simple. I'd rather get a Duster and a Harley rather than a forgettable XUV300.
yd_gli is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 11:55   #155
Senior - BHPian

The ask for bells & whistles has taken the C2 segment from one million to two million purchase item.

Looking at the difference between entry level model and the top end in any segment, the features (safety & comfort) have started contributing somewhere between 50% to 70%. And this is the space where companies are making fat margins ! Gone are the days when buyers use to look at cars for commuting; its a matter of pride and status for both car companies (as sellers) and customers.

Brand recall / brand association, features and road presence is what is being sold to us for a depreciating asset and the new game of marginal difference in monthly EMI for a base / top trim is what we have stopped caring about. To top it, liquidity and access to funds (easy availability of loans) have resulted in steady increase of car prices.

Expectations have thus changed and everyone wants everything in the car (except for the uber younger generation from where we are getting vibes of lack of interest for even owning a car). Duster between initial launch and the present facelift has left this bad taste among buyers and that's what the forum is resonating through its members with usage of terms like DOA & missed opportunity !!!

Have we stopped valuing our money?

An AWD with a reliable diesel engine and ability to mask poor roads at sub 15 Lac on road ! I doubt if its too poor a value preposition? The only issue that I see here is that all these aspects are part post purchase happiness and cannot be seen / witnessed sitting in the showroom whereas the present gen technology can well be displayed and felt through features of cars sold by competition.

Trivia: We have no issues with a Thar or a Royal Enfield but we do see issues with Duster?

Last edited by i74js : 11th July 2019 at 12:05.
i74js is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 15:55   #156
BANNED

Is the 1.5 Petrol engine all new?

Didnt renault have a 1.6 Petrol before? confused:
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 17:04   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Didnt renault have a 1.6 Petrol before?
That 1.6-litre engine was replaced by 1.5-litre petrol, borrowed from Nissan Sunny, some time in 2016/2017.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 03:28   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
That 1.6-litre engine was replaced by 1.5-litre petrol, borrowed from Nissan Sunny, some time in 2016/2017.

Thanks for the information.

ANy reviews about the same's fuel efficiency/drivability, considering that the duster weighs about 300 kg more than the scala.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 09:30   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Any reviews about the same's fuel efficiency/drivability, considering that the duster weighs about 300 kg more than the scala.
Only a handful of threads on Team BHP for this engine:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-1-233-km.html (2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...2-lakhs-6.html (Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs)

As per reviews, this engine can be best termed as adequate in the Duster. The 1.5-litre diesel motor is superior in almost every aspect and the one to go for if your annual running isn't too low. Take a long test drive to see if it matches your expectations.

This is what GTO had to say for the petrol CVT Duster;
Quote:
If anyone is thinking of buying this, please avoid. The engine is unimpressive and with a CVT, the driving experience will be dull. If you want a Petrol AT, there are better options in the market.

Last edited by self_driven : 13th July 2019 at 09:35.
self_driven is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 12:55   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Only a handful of threads on Team BHP for this engine:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-1-233-km.html (2017 Renault Duster Petrol RXL - Initial ownership report @ 1,233 km)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...2-lakhs-6.html (Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs)

As per reviews, this engine can be best termed as adequate in the Duster. The 1.5-litre diesel motor is superior in almost every aspect and the one to go for if your annual running isn't too low. Take a long test drive to see if it matches your expectations.

This is what GTO had to say for the petrol CVT Duster;
Thanks a lot for the research.
I knew of the CVT reviews, but the first one was tremendously helpful.
I was unsure if GTO's criticism was more of the Engine or the Gearbox, but thanks to that ownership review, I now know all that I need to.
simeonovitch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 17:47   #161
Senior - BHPian

Somehow i am not able to understand the criticism, I get it that they have not added many additional features but the pricepoint is very competitive.

If you compare the automatics, venue dct and duster cvt have the same price but different ride quality and cabin space.... might change some perspective and decisions.
dadu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 20:27   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Somehow i am not able to understand the criticism, I get it that they have not added many additional features but the pricepoint is very competitive.
A person buying Venue will be interested in the interiors and not driving, it is vice versa for the person buying Duster. The herd mentality will not change in near future.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 00:40   #163
Senior - BHPian

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L

Slightly off topic, but just visited my native where my father has been using a 85ps Diesel Duster for the last 4 years and he has clocked around 45k. I have driven this car multiple times, couple of long drives as well.
Sure, the ride is great, no doubt! But thats about it. The interior space is not that generous for a car of this size, the quality in general feels a little low rent. My dad has never given the car to drivers or other folks to drive, and has maintained as per norms, regular servicing at authorised centres etc. Yet, the car has squeaking and creaking noises everywhere, plastics seem like the ones used in Altos and Wagon R kind of segment. Somehow the car feels a generation behind.
In comparison, I have owned a 2012 Rapid diesel and now moved on to a Creta 1.6 diesel, and both these cars are some what in the same segment as the Duster. My 2012 Rapid was around 10.2 lakhs, and the 2018 Creta was 15. Whereas my dad bought the Duster for around 11 in 2015.
But the Duster feels nothing like these two. And Im not talking about gimmicks like HU etc, since neither my 2012 Rapid and nor the 2018 Creta have any fancy HU. But the overall fit and finish of the Duster is below par when you compare cars in this price point.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 06:19   #164
Senior - BHPian

I had specifically asked these questions to Renault when I owned the 85PS Duster. Infact I had made their job easy by sending them a PPT of juggard things. The quality level on RXZ variant is good compared to other variants. Still you miss proper storage space for the phones and 1L water bottles which are the basic needs of a car buyer.
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:02   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO the aspects like ride and handling are now available at much lower price along with better electronic gizmos in much cheaper Sub 4M SUVs. The real USP for the Duster was the diesel AWD variant.

Why do I say "was"? Because Renault has achieved a new level of insanity by changing the AWD to RXS from RXZ.

So now they are offering an AWD that will be taken in muddy places and off the road which lacks rear wipe and wash!! The one variant that desperately needs these is an AWD and they took it away (along with quite a few other features from RXZ that are worthy of the price).

I guess those who take these decisions at Renault and most other car companies have never driven a car themselves. Anywhere.

Renault should really now accept that this car is old, and people are smarter now to see that they are being taken for a ride.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks