Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 12:38   #166
BHPian

Re: The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L

I have been planning to buy a new car for some time, preferably a compact SUV and I had been waiting for the Renault Duster facelift in the hope that the new AWD variant would be one worth the wait. But post the launch I am not sure about that decision as Renault launched the Duster with a facelifted but feature trimmed version of the Duster AWD variant, the RXS(O). The only reasons that would prompt me to purchase a Renault Duster over the present generation feature filled competition would be the AWD, high ground clearance of 210 mm and the ever praised suspension and ride quality. But Renault seems to limit options for AWD customers by removing more than a couple of features from the previous gen RXZ AWD variant and giving only a trimmed down variant. During the period of the first gen Duster customers had the option to choose the AWD in a lower variant the RXL or the top end RXZ variant but no such options are available in this facelift.

On checking out the new Duster brochure on the Renault website in detail, noticed that if you are an enthusiast who prefers an AWD then you may be missing out on some crucial features. I think Renault assumes that a customer buying an AWD at 14+L may be fine with missing out on the following features (as per my observations from the brochure):

1. Front fog lamps
2. Chrome Exhaust tips
3. Chrome Roof Rails
4. Chrome Door side sills
5. Deco Brown fabric in place of Premium Blue glazed Fabric
6. "New" Eco Guide
7. "New" Front Tweeters
8. Front driver seat armrest
9. Height adjustable driver seat with
lumbar support
10. Height adjustable front seat belts
11.Illuminated glove box
12.Electrically foldable outside rear view mirrors
13.Driver side auto up-down anti-pinch power window
14. Cruise Control
15. Speed Limiter
16. Reverse parking camera with guidelines
17. Rear wiper and washer
18. Automatic AC

I can live without most of these features but there are some others that in my opinion are a must have for a new car at this price point. The above missing features clearly show that Renault has not studied the prospective customer for the AWD variant. Such a customer would probably be an enthusiast who would be using the car for touring and long drives as well as one who would venture on offbeat paths. On these long drives I would definitely miss a height adjustable seat with lumbar support and an armrest. In the mountains it would be challenging to take such a capable vehicle through fog and rains without a fog lamp and a rear wiper and washer
From my point of view as a buyer I think Renault should at least include the following features in the AWD variant as standard.
1. Front fog lamp
2. Front driver seat armrest
3. Height adjustable driver seat with
lumbar support
4. Height adjustable front seat belts
5. Reverse parking camera with guidelines
6. Rear wiper and washer

Of course some of these may be added as accessories, but nowadays in most cars even below this range these and more features are available as standard. I hope that Renault would consider the feedback from customers and provide AWD in the top variant or rather add some of these crucial features to the RXS(O) AWD even with a premium.
stormdRider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 14:53   #167
BHPian

I happened to check out the facelifted model when I went to see the Triber. Although this has been termed as a cosmetic update, I felt that the doors were heavier than the old model (2014) I have driven. Did they improve the build quality with this facelift, or did it happen earlier? Or is it a difference in variant, because the one I have driven is RXL, while the one in showroom was top end.
Old 4th November 2019, 15:19   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Although this has been termed as a cosmetic update, I felt that the doors were heavier than the old model (2014) I have driven. Did they improve the build quality with this facelift, or did it happen earlier?
When Global NCAP gave Kwid a big zero, Renault made some (4 times to be specific) updates to it.
I don't know if that has made doors heavy.
My 2 cents.
Old 4th November 2019, 17:08   #169
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt that the doors were heavier than the old model (2014) I have driven. Did they improve the build quality with this facelift, or did it happen earlier?
What I noticed is that the hinges when new, lend a sturdy feel in the door opening action. They develop some slack and get smoother and the heaviness goes away with time. I also noticed that the door sills have some extra bits of rubber shims (strips of rubber padding) against which the door now sits when closed. Older cars had smaller ones or none.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 19:09   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
What I noticed is that the hinges when new, lend a sturdy feel in the door opening action. They develop some slack and get smoother and the heaviness goes away with time. I also noticed that the door sills have some extra bits of rubber shims (strips of rubber padding) against which the door now sits when closed. Older cars had smaller ones or none.
Man! You just provided a cheap way for the carmakers to make their cars feel sturdy. Will have to visit again and check if it was this effect.
Old 4th November 2019, 23:55   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Man! You just provided a cheap way for the carmakers to make their cars feel sturdy. Will have to visit again and check if it was this effect.
Carmakers have been using this trick of late. The MG Hector has sturdy doors but they've played with the hinges too to add to the 'build quality'.
Old 8th November 2019, 17:01   #172
BHPian

Did Renault do anything about safety in this facelifted duster? The last I heard the duster scored zero stars on NCAP (in 2017?). I am starting to look for a diesel automatic SUV, hence the question.
Old 20th November 2019, 09:12   #173
BANNED

2020 Renault Duster BS6 spied testing on Pune Mumbai highway, launch is expected to take place by Feb 2020.

Quote:
Earlier, Renault India revealed it wouldn’t continue its diesel powertrains into BSVI avatar. With a phase out in effect, 2020 Renault Duster BSVI models would run on a petrol engine from April 2020. Renault has multiple engine options in petrol, which are capable enough to power the Duster.

One is the existing 1.5 liter petrol, which is already on sale in India as a BS4 unit. In addition, they also have the newly introduced 1.0-litre turbo-petrol or 1.3-litre turbo-petrol engine – which are on sale in Europe. Renault in Europe runs on a 1.0-litre 3-cylinder petrol engine that returns 100ps power, and 160Nm torque. The 1.3L TCe turbo petrol engine returns power in the range of 115ps to 160ps, and 270Nm of torque.

It’s expected that the 1.0-lite TCe turbo petrol engine could replace the existing 1.5L petrol engine. This would power Renault Duster, Captur, and Lodgy. 1.3L motor could replace the 1.5L diesel engine. The 1.5 liter on sale in India delivers 105 hp and 142 Nm. Transmission options on offer include manual and CVT.
Source: Rushlane
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-2020renaultdusterbs6spied.jpg  

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-2020renaultdusterbs6spiedtesting.jpg  

wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 23:41   #174
BHPian

Why is Renault not giving any significant discount on the new duster? It's not selling that well, it's year end, BS4 ends in 4 months. Last year they had much bigger discounts.
Old 25th November 2019, 06:19   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why is Renault not giving any significant discount on the new duster? It's not selling that well, it's year end, BS4 ends in 4 months. Last year they had much bigger discounts.
I would expect something soon. They have just launched massive discounting on the Captur, some 3 lakhs discount on ex-showroom price.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=101617 (Crazy discounts have begun - Renault Captur at Rs. 3 lakhs off)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 25th November 2019 at 06:22.
Old 25th November 2019, 09:44   #176
BHPian

Looks like discounts on Duster will only begin once bulk of Capturs in stock are sold.
Who will buy them if Duster is having good discounts?
i_see is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:07   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
Looks like discounts on Duster will only begin once bulk of Capturs in stock are sold.
Who will buy them if Duster is having good discounts?
'Good' for Duster needn't be the same as that for Captur. 1 lakh would be a sweet deal for the facelifted Duster.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 25th November 2019 at 10:15.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:08   #178

Looking to buy AWD version myself before BS6 kills it. Waiting for discounts to be announced
Old 4th December 2019, 09:55   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Duster BS6 Variant spied again,
The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-2020renaultdusterfaceliftbs6spied11536x1153.jpg

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-2020renaultdusterfaceliftbs6spied41536x1303.jpg

The Renault Duster Facelift, now launched @ 7.99L-2020renaultdusterfaceliftbs6spied51536x864.jpg

Quote:
It is to be noted that Renault will not update their diesel engine to BS6. Renault will only sell petrol engines post BS6 implementation. Internationally, Renault gave the Duster new 1.0 liter and 1.3 liter turbo petrol engines. It remains to be seen if these new engines will come to India or not
Link
Old 4th December 2019, 10:00   #180
Senior - BHPian

Are those alloys from Terrano? Why would anyone buy the 85PS variant in 2020? They could have retained at least one variant of diesel with a BS-6 compliant engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks