Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 19:56   #151

re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

The updates brought to the line-up are very disheartening, It seems it shall be a while before we see the MQB Polo.

Slightly OT..
I might be wrong here but it seems Volkswagen did not even bother to use "The New Polo" in the TVC. The reigstration number as per Vahan points it to be an Oct' 17 registered GT TSi, owned by one of their media managers.
sourishganguly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 20:11   #152
BHPian

I think some master in hypnotism has hypnotized the whole Volkswagen India group in to believe that they actually launched a new product

But they forget that a normal person cannot differentiate a 2011 Vento from 2019 Vento or Polo. Though their products are defined by timeless design this audacity to term the prices as introductory prices means they either live in a different dimension or we live in a different dimension
TorqueKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 22:12   #153
Senior - BHPian

Errm....the only thing that can surprise me is if VW actually launches a car with class leading features.

The main difference I see in their site is that all the three entry models get a GT variant which is about cosmetics more than anything else. You have a Polo GT, Vento GT and Ameo GT.

For a moment I thought that they had canned the GT TSI and had the audacity to launch that anaemic 76 bhp 95Nm 1.0L petrol in GT spec. But then I found it hidden in the innards of the site.

The designs still look good and hold their own but VW seriously need to understand customer needs if they have any hope of clawing back some market share.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th September 2019 at 10:06. Reason: Minor typo
Old 4th September 2019, 22:18   #154
Team-BHP Support

So what exactly changed? Does the Polo now get paddle shifts standard for the GT? Arm rest? Anything additional vs before?

The most hilarious part is launching a minor update on a car which has been on sale for 10 years and then saying introductory prices
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 22:50   #155
BHPian

The facelift strategy by VW India is perplexing but to be honest, If I'm in the market for a C-Segment car, I just could not think of any other car other than Vento and Rapid as a serious contender. Hope they don't mess with quality of the upcoming models as has been the trend with other manufactures.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 23:08   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone please post the last 10 years archived pictures of VW-IN CEOs 'launching' various iterations of the Polo and Vento :-).

Will be a fun collage which next year VW will sell as prized memorabilia!
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 23:20   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So what exactly changed? Does the Polo now get paddle shifts standard for the GT? Arm rest? Anything additional vs before?

The most hilarious part is launching a minor update on a car which has been on sale for 10 years and then saying introductory prices
Spoke to a sales adviser. Other than the cosmetic changes to the bumper/grill and tail lamps, only other change is in the price, which has got increased by 10-15K.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 23:49   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Spoke to a sales adviser. Other than the cosmetic changes to the bumper/grill and tail lamps, only other change is in the price, which has got increased by 10-15K.
They sell 2000 polo/Vento. Even if you add 15K to every car per month thats 3crores more than before.

They probably spent double on marketing, event and what not.

At the end of the day this is a 10 year old car with ZERO metal body panel changes. Which means they recovered more than they would have from tooling.

It's amazing success story in a way to sell the same 10 year old body car with no sheet metal modifications for 10 years!

And mind you not cheap. Now over 12L on road for a Polo GT TSI.

They should be looking at reducing prices and adding more features. How can a new edition of the car not have one single additional new feature added when the entire market is going after features.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th September 2019 at 08:52.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 08:49   #159
BHPian

With the direction Volkswagen is taking, I think it is not in for a long haul.

Atleast Renault and Nissan are trying to bring fresh products, though on older platforms. Even Ambassadors and Padmini had to make way after few years for the competition. One cannot just survive keeping a same body shell for years together.

On a funny note, all those who are owning diesel Polo should not worry about 10 years rule. It won't apply for Volkswagen since the cops won't be able to judge which car is 10 years older.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th September 2019 at 10:01. Reason: Spacing
DrCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 08:50   #160
BHPian

Rumour: VW Polo and Ameo facelift details out

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
It will be stupidity if they discontinue the Ameo especially the DSG variant and diesel manual transmission.

https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/models/new-ameo-gt.html
Ameo GT version launched. It lives on It still does not get the TSi petrol engine though, surprisingly. Includes a rear view camera that the Polo GT does not get. Hopefully dealers will allow us to retro fit them into the Polo.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:29   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah I understand now where VW is missing the plot. Being Germans it seems they are not yet fluent in spoken English / slang & are going by the strict rules of the language(Like Auric Goldfinger - a German again!).

When coming with a FACELIFT - VW is only making changes to the face of the car! Bumper, headlights & grille! Its a miracle that they are even thinking of changing some bits on the rear bumper. They must be wondering why people get so disappointed even when they are doing all that is possible in a FACElift.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:42   #162
BHPian

Re: Rumour: VW Polo and Ameo facelift details out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Ameo GT version launched. It lives on It still does not get the TSi petrol engine though, surprisingly. Includes a rear view camera that the Polo GT does not get. Hopefully dealers will allow us to retro fit them into the Polo.
It is the same Ameo DSG with an additional colour. If you read their website, they do not show the GT badge on the grill instead a chrome strip with GT written on it at the sides (remember the sports chrome badge? identical to it) The interiors pic is of a left hand drive with some different steering wheel but I highly doubt they have changed it. Someone should really start proof reading their launch details carefully, making a mickey of themselves with these so called face-lifts and their details on official websites.
Old 5th September 2019, 09:45   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's amazing success story in a way to sell the same 10 year old body car with no sheet metal modifications for 10 years!
Add to this lower quality components

The components are more shoddy, my friend Azaan showed me a Polo TSI on the lift, which like Suhaas's car, had worn suspension and hydraulic shocks all shot at 18000km. He put my Polo 1.6 on the ramp and it had much better formed components and gas struts - all madden the Czech Republic
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:09   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
When coming with a FACELIFT - VW is only making changes to the face of the car! Bumper, headlights & grille! Its a miracle that they are even thinking of changing some bits on the rear bumper. They must be wondering why people get so disappointed even when they are doing all that is possible in a FACElift.
Quote:
How can a new edition of the car not have one single additional new feature added when the entire market is going after features.
What I sincerely believe happened at a VW meet.
Person 1 - "Everyone, Polo and Vento sales are falling. What can we do to arrest the fall?"
Person 2 - "Bring in the next gen car that our company already sells everywhere else?"
Person 3 - ''Bring in new features that everyone else is giving and also cut prices a little?"
Person 4 - "Sir, let's change the bumper and call it new!"
P1 - "Yes P4! Let's do that!! Maybe that will solve everything!"

What I believe will happen at the next meeting -
P1 - "Guys, again Polo and Vento sales are falling. What to do?"
P2 & P3 - "What we suggested a long time ago?!"
P4- "Sir, I have an idea. Let's change the name to Marco, that will definitely boost sales."
P1 - "P4 to the rescue again! I'm giving you a raise!"
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:15   #165
Team-BHP Support

Great! So here are the highlights:

1) Introduce a "new Polo" on it's 10th year anniversary.
2) Give it the GTI kit - essentially sapping the only thing that differentiates the GTI from the garden variety Polo.
3) Go two steps back with the Vento by removing the Passat-esque grille and reverting to the old-style Polo grille.
4) Introduce more substandard parts in the name of localization.
5) Hold off on engine upgrades.
6) Hike prices further.
7) Rinse and repeat.

Absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
It appears from the link in your post that the Ameo GT does in fact get the TSI motor.

Quote:
German Engineering with an Indian heart, is how we describe the Volkswagen Ameo. Derived from the latin word amo (meaning love), it now gets the coveted GT treatment. Say hello to the new Ameo GT - designed to take you back to those playful days. Featuring the powerful TSI Engine, your favourite sedan will now also available in a stunning new shade of Sunset Red. Discover more below.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed