Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 02:33   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
The problem with Polo's face is that, it already is at its elegant best. There, really is nothing much you can do to lift that face further.
Sure; it is elegant. No doubt about that.

Now take a look at what VW have done with the Mk6 Polo. Was launched in 2017.

https://www.volkswagen.co.nz/new-cars/polo/

The above takes elegant to a new level.

What the new car does not improve on is space and that is unlikely to change.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 06:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

This just a daily morning "shower and shave", not even a "nip and tuck". What's so uplifting about the Polo?! "Oh, it's so timeless & elegant (meaning: obsolete)": crap!! It's like VW saying this is what you Indians can afford; it's what you'll get!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th August 2019 at 07:00.
Durango Dude is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 14:26   #108
BHPian

This feels like "déjà vu". At this rate I am expecting my kids to buy the same car sold as new 20 years down the line.

I have had many occasions driving the Mark 6 Polo in Europe for almost two years now and I can assure you all that the Mark 5 feels primitive in almost every aspect when compared to the Mark 6. For VW to continue this trend of milking a now dead cow is plain unfair.
Old 28th August 2019, 16:53   #109
BHPian

The Mark 6 Polo is more than 4m in length and looking at the design of the car where the bumpers hardly protrude outside of the body, I am really not sure where VW can cut the additional 50mm or so to duck under the 4m law.

That might be one reason why I think the next gen Polo is being delayed in India. Whatever India specific low cost platform that the VW-Skoda alliance is developing may eventually spawn a new gen Polo, but who knows how many more years that's going to take.
Old 29th August 2019, 01:39   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
This facelift story reminds me of bollywood actors of the 70s and 80s who continued to try their luck with dyed hair and brighter clothes in the 90s ! Smell the coffee VW... You are very late to the party and if you don't bring in the next generation models (which FYI have been on sale for 2 years overseas), you can forget about the Indian market.

I saw the TROC in Italy recently and you have a winner in that ! Bring it without any delay
They are just waiting for it to be EOL in other markets and then launch it here.
Old 29th August 2019, 07:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

I like the Polo and do think it's timeless. It's VW, as a Company that I dislike. Their service horror stories (my friend disposed of his new Vento in 6 months), highest charges, and high-handedness have put me off for good. 'Dieselgate' angers me too. I never look at their discounts too.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th August 2019 at 07:56. Reason: Typo
Sebring is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:37   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
This just a daily morning "shower and shave", not even a "nip and tuck". What's so uplifting about the Polo?! "Oh, it's so timeless & elegant (meaning: obsolete)": crap!! It's like VW saying this is what you Indians can afford; it's what you'll get!
I now own two TSIs spaced 3 years apart, sounds rather dumb to buy another car of exactly the same model, and I can afford some higher priced cars. Our other family car is the Ertiga. I am not in love with my TSIs and the service never seems as trustworthy as Hyundai was. The plastic parts are poorly built and their AC is bad.

However, I can't find another car of as much value as the TSI. For 6 years now. None. It is properly small for the city I live in, has enough low end torque to overtake in city traffic, has a smooth automatic; and the feeling of safety when seated inside is way way ahead. Finally, I love driving the car...so much fun. My first one had an accident about 2 years ago when early morning an Indica hit my front right side in a perpendicular direction, coming in at about 60 kmph plus and ramming into my car braking on sighting me about 30 meters before. I was not lucky to be safe, the car was built to keep me safe.

And then it all slowly dawned on me that the VW philosophy of building the car was different from the Asians. Cars are not built to a cost. Cost is built in to make a properly engineered car. Being a bean counter as I am, I can imagine a carmaker saying that the probability of an accident is so low, this and that are not needed, let's make it cheaper and bring down costs. But those guys at Lower Saxony think differently. They want to build a proper car not a made-to-cost car.

Which is why they will not offer a variant that has all the knicks and knacks but has a rear wiper missing, like the DCT variant in the Venue, a car I thought can compete for my wallet.

If there is profit to be made with their way of making cars, they will come. Expecting them to come here, and make continual losses (they know it from Skoda) is like asking them to hang out hope on a thin thread at the edge of a cliff. We wouldn't do that if asked to switch places!

Last edited by diffsoft : 29th August 2019 at 14:41.
diffsoft is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 18:31   #113
Senior - BHPian

I would like to apply for a Job in VW's R&D / design team . I would have to work only one day in 6 months to redesign the fog lamps/ bumper design
karanraheja is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 07:28   #114
BHPian

Can't believe we waste server capacity to have a thread of Polo/Vento facelifts. I bet they also known they've become a joke for the industry, but I guess they're helpless as they don't have any other products lined-up.
Dieselritzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 12:43   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I would like to apply for a Job in VW's R&D / design team . I would have to work only one day in 6 months to redesign the fog lamps/ bumper design
And, I would like a job in VW India marketing - I will put out an Ad once in a while, announcing the arrival of the "new Polo" after you have re-designed the bumper!

But seriously, what a car! The fact that it can still sell 1600 copies every month, in the 10th year from its first launch in India is testament to its classy, timeless design. It launched in May 2010 and I got my Polo in June 2010, one of the first in Chennai - All they needed to do was a few bumper tweaks and minor engine upgrades here and there to keep selling 20K plus cars every year! No other car could have accomplished this, it is still considered "Cool" and desirable among some of the young first time car buyers. This is of course helped by the fact that Maruti, Hyundai and others still can't seem to turn out simple, elegant and classy designs.
Old 31st August 2019, 11:42   #116
Senior - BHPian

New logo is on its way. Probably that's the only realistic update the design will receive. Right there on the front grill. They are truly the joke of the industry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
And, I would like a job in VW India marketing - I will put out an Ad once in a while, announcing the arrival of the "new Polo" after you have re-designed the bumper.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:38   #117
BHPian

Received via WA.
The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-vw-tsi.jpg
Looks like TSI would get new color and as expected new bumpers with GTI tail lamps. Would be interesting to see the price bump VW would want us to pay for these cosmetic updates.

Couple of more pictures.
The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-vw-tsi-3.jpg
The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-vw-tsi-2.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2019 at 14:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
BlueEyes is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 14:39   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Couple of more pictures.
Quote:
Received via WA.
Looks like TSI would get new color and as expected new bumpers with GTI tail lamps. Would be interesting to see the price bump VW would want us to pay for these cosmetic updates.
While the colour is quite nice, I feel it completely loses the "sporty" look that the GT is supposed to have. The previous flash red looked much better for what is supposedly the faster, more aggressive variant.
Old 2nd September 2019, 14:44   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the Skoda 'Rio Red' colour briefly available on the Octavia.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 17:42   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Received via WA.
Attachment 1911993

Couple of more pictures.
Attachment 1912076
Attachment 1912077
I see the black side skirts (similar to GTI) along with matching spoiler lips on front and rear bumpers are added to differentiate the GT TSI from other variants. But I feel the front bumper design is not sporty/aggressive enough.

Most Viewed