Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 08:29   #121
BHPian
 
webblescott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kasaragod/Bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Can we expect 1.0 TSI?

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img20190903wa0001.jpg

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img20190903wa0000.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:41. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
webblescott is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 08:32   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 17,875
Thanked: 43,430 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post
Can we expect 1.0 TSI?
No, that will come as another face-lift closer to the BS6 deadline.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:41. Reason: Quote edited.
volkman10 is offline  
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:23   #123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Solapur
Posts: 129
Thanked: 432 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Received via WA. Would be interesting to see the price bump VW would want us to pay for these cosmetic updates.
Couple of more pictures.
There is already enough discussion about what exactly the face lift is going to offer, what I didn't like is slight dark shade of red color used in this car, previous flashy red color looks awesome on polo, sure its personal opinion as most people go for non flashy color (white/gray).

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post
Can we expect 1.0 TSI?
See all three colors together in second picture of this post, Lapiz Blue is the best color I have ever seen, one of the recent ownership reviews on TBHP has that color, car looks fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Their service horror stories (my friend disposed of his new Vento in 6 months).
I was shocked to read this, Will you please narrate what happened exactly, making him dispose off the new car in just 6 months (maybe not here but in vento thread)

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:41. Reason: Quote edited.
gjnnbagal is offline  
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:48   #124
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,065
Thanked: 12,924 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Okay contrary to what seems to be a unanimous sentiment, I actually like this new "metallic" red shade. Not sure if its post processed / beautified but looks quite good together with the black contrasts. Nice simple yet classy alloys too.

I have always liked the Polo/Vento I'd rather buy this car with a good engine (read 1.5 TDI) and better ICE setup at the right price instead of asking for the Mark6 update which is larger & far costlier. This car is practical, makes realistic sense for long term ownership in our conditions & overall maintenance regime.

I really Loved the almost unnoticeable subtle facelift. Totally disheartened that the TDI will be missing come BSVI in April 2020. Now is the time for buying this car!!
If it wasn't for the LHD oriented light & wiper control stalks, I'd have bought the Polo GT TDI any day in past already. This is what permanently takes a car out of my list when thinking of buying.
Reinhard is offline  
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:59   #125
BHPian
 
VivekCherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 48
Thanked: 201 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

The updated Vento. Next to it, you can also see the Polo with a similar face. The Vento also gets skirting similar to the Polo .

This one seems to be the Highline and not the Highline Plus as the one here only has 15" alloys, regular halogen headlamps, no rear view camera, and no auto dimming rear view mirror.

Source: My friend Sheethal Kumar via WhatApp.

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img20190903wa0002.jpg

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img20190903wa0003.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:42. Reason: Added more details. EDIT: Pictures inserted in-line.
VivekCherian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:02   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 160
Thanked: 283 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If it wasn't for the LHD oriented light & wiper control stalks, I'd have bought the Polo GT TDI any day in past already. This is what permanently takes a car out of my list when thinking of buying.
Don't let this affect your decision about what you otherwise think is a good car. I have driven Vento/Passat followed by a WagonR and the other way around numerous times over multiple years without missing a beat. Would hardly take you a day or two to get used to it.
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:32   #127
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Reinhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,065
Thanked: 12,924 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Don't let this affect your decision about what you otherwise think is a good car. I have driven Vento/Passat followed by a WagonR and the other way around numerous times over multiple years without missing a beat. Would hardly take you a day or two to get used to it.
No, actually I drove LHD cars in the EU for a good couple of years when I was there. Never was happy with it! At least it works practically correct in LHD conditions.

I'm too used to drive with left hand on the gear stick. I like to have the vital indicator and flash controls on the right so that I can quickly use them during ghat maneuvers when I'm also changing gears by the left hand. Anyway, I just bought the Nexon this month now. So thats that. By the time I buy the next car, hopefully VW will have a different gen Polo on sale. I'm giving them about 10 years now . Sorry for the OT.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 13:52. Reason: Typo
Reinhard is offline  
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:51   #128
BHPian
 
nikipedia87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 212
Thanked: 375 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

I'm Too used to drive with left hand on the gear stick. I like to have the vital indicator and flash controls on the right so that I can quickly use them during ghat maneuvers when I'm also changing gears by the left hand.. By the time I buy the next car, hopefully VW will have a different gen Polo on sale.
I completely agree with you. The light and flash controls should always be on the other side of the gear stick. Hope VW and all other manufacturers take this into consideration while designing their next generation cars for RHD countries. Even the Duster has the LHD configuration on the steering if I remember right.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 13:51. Reason: Formatting
nikipedia87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:56   #129
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,611
Thanked: 10,124 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
The updated Vento. Next to it, you can also see the Polo with a similar face. The Vento also gets skirting similar to the Polo

This one seems to be the Highline and not the Highline Plus as the one here only has 15" alloys, regular halogen headlamps, no rear view camera, and no auto dimming rear view mirror.

Source : My friend Sheethal Kumar via WhatApp.
All things aside, I think it is a bit ridiculous that VW has reverted to the old 'Polo face' on the Vento facelift.

The Passat / Jetta-esque grille, with the additional slat at the bottom, gave it a proper mature face that set it apart from the Polo / Ameo. Now, the Vento will again look just like a Polo from the front, with nothing separating the faces.

I know this facelift overall is an extremely small step forward, but if the Vento looks like this I'm afraid it's one step forward and two steps back.

Real pity.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 13:57.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:10   #130
BHPian
 
VivekCherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 48
Thanked: 201 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekCherian View Post
The updated Vento.

This one seems to be the Highline and not the Highline Plus as the one here only has 15" alloys, regular halogen headlamps, no rear view camera, and no auto dimming rear view mirror.

Source : My friend Sheethal Kumar via WhatsApp.
Adding a few more pictures. This time, it is a Highline MPi, i.e. the 1.6 Petrol Manual. In this car, you can see the rain sensor and auto dimming rear view mirror. The pictures I uploaded earlier are of the Highline TDi, where both these features are missing.


The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img20190903wa0007.jpg

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img20190903wa0008.jpg

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img20190903wa0009.jpg


Looks like VW is back to its old ways.

When we were buying our Vento, the TDi had the reverse sensors and RCD 310 with steering mounted audio controls as well as the leatherette seats. The MPi was still poverty spec then, similar to how the launch variants were. It got these features only after another 6 months (due to a huge unsold inventory of Petrol Vento(s) which VW cleared up through good discounts).

Similar treatment this time too. Just that, unlike earlier, the petrol gets more features than the diesel for the same trim. However, it might also be because the MPi is not available in the Highline Plus trim.

Source : My friend Sheethal Kumar via WhatsApp

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 15:29. Reason: Spacing
VivekCherian is offline  
Old 3rd September 2019, 19:26   #131
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 24
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Honestly, this has now become laughable. I cannot remember any other product that has been dragged on for so long without any sort of major overhaul happening to its looks.
Agreed the car has that 'timeless' design, but that doesn't mean you keep milking it forever.

The all-new version is already on sale elsewhere, why not bring it to India?

This is where I have ample respect for Hyundai. They keep refreshing their lineup every 3 years, irrespective of it being a hot seller or a dud.
Eg. Creta was sitting pretty with ~10k copies being sold each month. If it were any other manufacturer, they would've simply preferred to sit on their behind with hands crossed.
Same case for i20.

Some people never learn, sigh!
That's because the new Polo is longer than 4 meters which puts it in a different tax bracket & I don't think people in India will pay >9 lakhs for a hatchback, considering the fact that people think that GT TSI is "overexpensive". Hence, they might not be releasing it yet. You say VW is "milking" the best design ever made, I say Hyundai & other brands for that matter are just milking their names "Creta", "Verna" & "i20". Is creta an SUV? I don't consider a front wheel drive car an SUV.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th September 2019 at 22:13. Reason: Language toned down
kumaranurag is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd September 2019, 22:46   #132
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: .
Posts: 210
Thanked: 672 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranurag View Post
That's because the new Polo is longer than 4 meters which puts it in a different tax bracket & I don't think people in India will pay >9 lakhs for a hatchback, considering the fact that people think that GT TSI is "overexpensive". Hence, they might not be releasing it yet. You say VW is "milking" the best design ever made, I say Hyundai & other brands for that matter are just milking their names "Creta", "Verna" & "i20". Is creta an SUV? I don't consider a front wheel drive car an SUV.
Any hatchback or compact suv is longer than 4 metres abroad, including the last gen polo. In India, the bumpers have to be redesigned to get the millimetres under the limit. VW did the same with the polo. Ford did it with the ecosport. Mahindra did it with the XUV 300, Hyundai did it with the i20. Shaving off those 53 mm is a no big deal. Heck, I could do it in my garage.

Is Creta an suv? I don't know. Is the T-cross an suv?

PS: my current garage consists of : Laura 2.0 TDi, Skoda Fabia 1.2 mpi, VW Polo 1.2 mpi and a vw vento 1.6. All VAGs. Will I, in the second half of 2019 buy any car from this group, barring the octy vRs? Oh no, sir. Absolutely not. Their entire fleet is half a decade too old.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th September 2019 at 22:25. Reason: Quoted post edited
simeonovitch is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 11:53   #133
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,611
Thanked: 10,124 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Any hatchback or compact suv is longer than 4 metres abroad, including the last gen polo.
Incorrect.

The last generation (6R and 6C) Polo is 3971 mm globally. VW wasn't required to trim the bumper so as to ensure that it falls under the 4m bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
In India, the bumpers have to be redesigned to get the millimetres under the limit. VW did the same with the polo. Ford did it with the ecosport. Mahindra did it with the XUV 300, Hyundai did it with the i20.
You are correct about the redesigning of the bumpers for the EcoSport, the XUV3OO and the Hyundai i20, but I reiterate, VW did not redesign / trim the bumpers of the 6R/6C Polo. Globally, it was always 3971 mm in length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Shaving off those 53 mm is a no big deal. Heck, I could do it in my garage.
If only it were actually THAT easy!

Trimming the bumpers isn't some DC job or a quick DIY hack. The global Polo is 4053 mm in length, for a reason!

Modern cars are packed with technology, and the new Polo is no different. Trimming the bumpers may require re-engineering various components like the placement of the radiator, airbag sensors, parking sensors, adaptive cruise control unit, etc. as all these sit snugly. Additionally, the car is designed with certain crash testing and safety standards in place, and there will be consequences to these, in the event of a redesign.

Anyway, I'm sure VW can do the bumper redesign quite easily. But the real reason for not bringing the new Polo is entirely different.

The new car is based on the new MQB AO platform and VW will need to revamp their entire assembly line including machines and tooling, for this new platform. The investment towards this may not be feasible for them, considering that the Polo isn't exactly a hot seller. They probably see more viability in using this platform for their small SUV. This is purely from a business standpoint.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:11   #134
BHPian
 
2cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: India
Posts: 518
Thanked: 555 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
....If only it were actually THAT easy!

Trimming the bumpers isn't some DC job or a quick DIY hack. The global Polo is 4053 mm in length, for a reason!

I believe the reference was to the rear bumpers. Incidentally, Polo is the only ~4m car currently on sale (not cars <4m) with a proper rear bumper.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:51   #135
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: .
Posts: 210
Thanked: 672 Times
Default re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Incorrect.

The last generation (6R and 6C) Polo is 3971 mm globally. VW wasn't required to trim the bumper so as to ensure that it falls under the 4m bracket.

You are correct about the redesigning of the bumpers for the EcoSport, the XUV3OO and the Hyundai i20, but I reiterate, VW did not redesign / trim the bumpers of the 6R/6C Polo. Globally, it was always 3971 mm in length.
Okay. I stand corrected. Maybe its the Fabia that I'm confusing it with, then. One of these two was shortened.


Quote:
If only it were actually THAT easy!

Trimming the bumpers isn't some DC job or a quick DIY hack. The global Polo is 4053 mm in length, for a reason!

Modern cars are packed with technology, and the new Polo is no different. Trimming the bumpers may require re-engineering various components like the placement of the radiator, airbag sensors, parking sensors, adaptive cruise control unit, etc. as all these sit snugly. Additionally, the car is designed with certain crash testing and safety standards in place, and there will be consequences to these, in the event of a redesign.

Anyway, I'm sure VW can do the bumper redesign quite easily. But the real reason for not bringing the new Polo is entirely different.
Okay. That was more of rhetoric than anything else. And I can actually do it. Ofcourse the car wouldnt look good, and I might have to remove a sensor or two, but, yeah, given a challenge, I could.

Anyways, the point is that it can be done, and its just sheer laziness that's stopping them.
simeonovitch is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks