Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2019, 12:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Thanks to Scoopmeister for sending this information and images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

A Polo and what appears to be a Vento have been spotted testing on the roads of Pune. The Polo, Vento as well as the Ameo are likely to receive updates later this year.

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-photo20190304171834.jpg

We are told that the Polo could get a GTI style front bumper and a dual-tone rear bumper. The grille is also likely to be similar to the GTI featuring a chrome stripe instead of red highlights. It is likely to get non-GTI headlights and a single exhaust tip.

The Ameo is rumoured to receive a substantial styling overhaul. The rear of the car could be restyled to look like the Vento. It could get a Vento style grille, front bumper and new tail lights. Besides this, VW might offer the rear bumper from the Russian-spec Vento GT with a single exhaust tip.

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-photo20190304171835.jpg

Both cars are expected to come with the same set of engines as the current Polo and Ameo. The 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 75 BHP @ 6,200 rpm and 95 Nm @ 3,000-4,300 rpm is available on both models. The Polo diesel is powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder unit that puts out 89 BHP @ 4,200 rpm and 230 Nm @ 1,500-2,500 rpm. On the Ameo and Polo GT TDI, this engine makes 108 BHP and 250 Nm of torque. The Polo GT TSI comes equipped with a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol unit that produces 104 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 175 Nm @ 1,500-4,100 rpm. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and 7-speed DSG.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 7th March 2019 at 13:18.
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 12:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched

Understand that Polo and Vento are due for a face-lift as the next generation cars for India will be beyond 2021.

But why will they be testing the AMEO when the product is likely to be axed in the same period ( 2021) and more so when it is doing such minuscule sales numbers? Also diesel is likely to be ruled out for their cars in this segment post April 2020.

So this face-lift cars along with the exterior changes can see the 1.0L TSI engine in 2020 ?

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th March 2019 at 12:19.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 12:20   #3
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
But why will they be testing the AMEO when the product is likely to be axed in the same period ( 2021) and more so when it is doing such minuscule sales numbers? Also diesel is likely to be ruled out for their cars in this segment post April 2020.
I believe, Vento is wrongly reported as Ameo. I could see only the Polo in the front and Vento at the back in the pics shown.

Not sure what will magic can be brought with a facelift. Polo and Vento have been around for really loooooooong when the average lifecycle of their respective segments is 5 - 6 years.

Such manufacturers with zero interest in the Indian market quit India (read Fiat and Chevy) blaming us, the enthusiasts!
NTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 12:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
I believe, Vento is wrongly reported as Ameo. I could see only the Polo in the front and Vento at the back in the pics shown.
+1.

The boot sure looks like a Vento to my eyes, not the chopped rear of the Ameo.

Quote:
Such manufacturers with zero interest in the Indian market quit India (read Fiat and Chevy) blaming us, the enthusiasts!
VW is not going to shut shop, and Fiat is still very much around - let's not confirm the rumours by ourselves.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th March 2019 at 12:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A Polo and what appears to be an Ameo...
Quote:
I believe, Vento is wrongly reported as Ameo.
The camouflage + the angle of the picture makes it difficult to identify the car 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The boot sure looks like a Vento to my eyes, not the chopped rear of the Ameo.
A sure-shot way to identify would be the rear overhang, but it's not very clear in the image.

Anyways, the news pertains to the the Ameo and Polo. Even if that car is a Vento, could be accompanying the Polo infront.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 12:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Myself & BHPian YCJ spotted white Polo & Vento on way to TBHP meet last saturday. Both vehicles had their only front & back camouflaged, rest of car wasn't camouflaged on both vehicles.

Both of us were surprised as nothing new is expected, we felt both vehicles would be headed towards ARAI from chandani chowk for some testing.

Just to reiterate, it was Polo & Vento that day and not Polo & Ameo.
sukiwa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 13:46   #7
BANNED

More than a facelift, Polo and Vento needs a 6 airbag version! I can't understand why they can't offer that , can't they give it a try? Almost all the competition of Vento has a 6 airbag version barring the Ciaz.
The Rationalist is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 17:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Myself & BHPian YCJ spotted white Polo & Vento on way to TBHP meet last saturday. Both vehicles had their only front & back camouflaged, rest of car wasn't camouflaged on both vehicles.

Both of us were surprised as nothing new is expected, we felt both vehicles would be headed towards ARAI from chandani chowk for some testing.

Just to reiterate, it was Polo & Vento that day and not Polo & Ameo.
We spotted the same on the return leg of the meet. The only pointer was the Petrol fuel sticker on the Polo. 1L turbo?
The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-img_20190302_161744.jpg

We couldn't spot the transmission of the car, keep guessing!
The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-untitled.jpg

Drive safe & curious,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 18:23   #9
BHPian

errm, sorry but I'd really want to be in the boardroom where they discussed facelifting an already redundant model when the rest of the world gets this one:
Attached Thumbnails
The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-download.jpg  

lemedico is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 19:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The way it is being camouflaged, it is as if VW is testing some new secret versions. We have seen this for the last 9 years now. What is there to camouflage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
More than a facelift, Polo and Vento needs a 6 airbag version! I can't understand why they can't offer that , can't they give it a try? Almost all the competition of Vento has a 6 airbag version barring the Ciaz.
Vento does have a 4 airbag variant. The Highline Plus comes with 4 airbags.
Rajeevraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 19:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

On one hand, you wonder why VW continues to flog the proverbial dead horse. On the other hand, you've got to appreciate them for continuously tinkering their cars to bring out "refreshed" variants ever so often. Someone way high up in the hierarchy has decided that India won't get the new gen Polo/Vento until 2021/2022 so the person with some say in India matters deems it fit to put in something new in the cars periodically. Whatever works, they tell themselves. Whatever works.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th March 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Corrected a typo
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 20:47   #12

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2019 at 15:43.
Nomad_Wind is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th March 2019, 18:17   #13
BHPian

whatever they have in mind for the delayed launch, I say it is much overdue for VW to come back and come strong in India. I was shocked to see Fiat exit, a brand which is solid and desirable in the West. Similarly, VW is the go-to brand for the middle class all around, yet it struggles over here.

The only logical explanation I could think of is the current Polo is <4 metres in length whereas the 2019 Euro spec is above 4 metres. Perhaps we cannot blame them but rather this half-brained rule by the government dearest?
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 15:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The same car gets spied again - Expect a change in power-train to meet the BS VI norms.

The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 17:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

As speculated the face-lift to come in the BSVI ready 1.0L TSI engine, but the news article is confusing though

Quote:
In terms of cosmetic changes, new Polo is expected to come with a redesigned frontage with GTI-esque grill and front bumper. Changes on the rear will include new dual-tone bumper and LED signature tail lamps
The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th March 2019 at 17:53.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed