Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st October 2019, 15:28   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The latest update on Mohan Motors & Audi:
And the same story here in Ranchi too. Dealership cancelled:

Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?-audi-ranchi.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd October 2019 at 07:50. Reason: typo
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:10   #107
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?

Was discussing Audi's woes with an industry insider and he shared this joke. Prefers to stay anonymous.

The 6 lakh discount joke had me
Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?-annotation-20191001-170807.jpg
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 18:37   #108
BHPian

Quote:
The latest update on Mohan Motors & Audi:
Attachment 1919455

Thanks for this! Parents are currently on holiday abroad but I suppose I'll have to warn dad for when he comes back that the Audi no longer can be serviced at Mohan Motors. I'm hoping he'll have been contacted by them regarding what the alternative measures would be (though doubt he'll have checked his messages or mail).

Mum might end up having to ask the dealer for her Micra seeing as that too was the same Mohan Motors connection from when they bought the Audi.

What an absolute mess..

Quote:
Was discussing Audi's woes with an industry insider and he shared this joke..
Attachment 1919481
I'm not even surprised anymore, especially given the unreal discount my dad got when buying his car. There just seems to be a resigned air to all the VW group operations in India, as if folks are simply going through the motions. It Is true that Audi rose stratospherically quickly and then went out with an equally precipitous fall. And the older I get the more I realise service is what makes or breaks brands in India. When my uncle bought a GLA a few years ago, my cousin scratched the door when she secretly took it out for a drive unbeknownst to her dad. In a panic she went to the Mercedes dealer pleading with them to get it fixed before he got back, and reluctantly they delivered (cost her a pretty penny sure) but they had the scratch and paintwork all buffed out and good as new within a day. Uncle was none the wiser. That's probably a large part of why Mercedes is ruling the roost, not just having a broad and vibrant product range.
ads11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 09:11   #109
Senior - BHPian

Audi India under what internally is called as Strategy 2025 is going to expand its network beyond metro-cities to revive the sales. To launch new product every quarter in the next year, said Audi India's new head, Balbir Singh Dhillon.
Quote:
“Next year, petrol, plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles will be our focus. We are also bringing in the eTron electric SUV,” Dhillon told ET. The company will also enter tier-2 and tier-3 markets as part of the strategy but with a workshopfirst approach, he said.

“We will look at tier-2 and tier-3 markets with a sizeable Audi car population and set up a workshop there. After some time, we will put up a pre-owned car showroom there and when the volumes are justified, we’ll open a showroom,” he said.

“No brand has always been number one -- this is all cyclic. Internationally also if you see, it is driven by product lifecycle,” Dhillon explained.
Source: ET Auto
Old 16th November 2019, 22:45   #110
Team-BHP Support

Am on holiday with a friend who told me his current predicament with his wife's 3 year old Q3

He sent it to Audi Bangalore for its 3rd year service.

1st service, the payment was cash down - not a problem for him
2nd service, he paid by company cheque. - no issue
This year, the car is stuck. Driver went with the company cheque to collect but was turned away. Driver even told them to take the cheque and let it clear first! No ! Audi demanded cash for a Rs 28000 service. The problem is that under current RBI regulations, his business cannot make cash transactions greater than Rs 10000 and Audi's demand will technically invite a breach in the law.

As my friend handles all the company RTGS/NEFT transactions, he cannot do this as he is on holiday without a PC.

Hence the car is stuck and he can only get the car out on his arrival next week. If Audi accepted the cheque and allowed it to clear, that would not have been a problem!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 00:02   #111
BHPian

Honestly, there were times when Audi cars looked brilliant in every angle. But, their current gen cars aren’t that eye-catchy or drool-worthy.

Brand is losing motive / zeal to perform well in India. Hope, they hand their operations to Skoda like VW is doing. I really hope one day, Skoda becomes the main division while the rest of the sister companies work directly under leadership of Skoda who are doing fabulous job at designing and delivering what customers are wanting. Believe, Skoda to look closely at improving their service network which should give them a strong brand image.
Old 17th November 2019, 14:50   #112
BANNED

Quote:
With Adblue / similar solutions, diesels are easily able to meet & exceed BS6 norms. Mercedes has already rolled this out.

Is Adblue easily available in India? May want to try it. It is very common in Europe.
Old 29th December 2019, 19:07   #113
BHPian

Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?-20191222_130655.jpg

This is what it's come to. I come home for the holidays and find that our car is being repaired at home, a consequence I imagine of the whole Mohan Motors debacle. Based on what the mechanics told me, they had to replace the entire front suspension assemblies! According to them, the faulty parts they found weren't ones that should've come with the car. Anecdotally they said that Mohan Motors swapped out the original ones during past services.

Suffice to say dad is pretty fed up and of the mind to write to Audi India. Mum's currently in the process of looking at alternatives and though the Audi is back to fighting fitness I doubt it'll be around in our house come next Christmas..
ads11 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

We are not running behind No.1 in volumes; focusing on profitable, sustainable business: Audi India Head Balbir Singh Dhillon.

Quote:
You take charge when the luxury-car market is set to register its steepest decline — must be challenging?

To be honest, it is the best time to start. The only way is up from here. The ups and downs are a part of life and business cannot be a straight line. The biggest agenda on my plate is the sustainability of the brand. Whatever we do from now on, the customer is at the center and the business has to be profitable and sustainable.

There is a new product line up which is coming, which will help us get back on track. Again, the caveat is not rush back to volumes, but look at profitable, sustainable business. The focus is not market share. We are not running behind No.1 in volumes. We want to be No.1 in customer satisfaction, managing their ownership lifecycle.
Quote:
Audi has been hit the hardest by dealership closing, which impacted volumes too. How are you addressing the situation?

To be honest, I am not worried about volumes as much as I am worried about the network. We have done a lot of things to make the network profitable and sustainable. We are adopting a workshop-first approach — for instance, a place like Trivandrum still has less number of cars, so instead of opening the showroom, we decided to just have a workshop.

The workshop is profitable for the dealer, a customer also gets to service his car close by. I want to expand with existing partners to multiple locations. There is a thrust towards digitization. From now on, wherever we bring in new partners, priority will be workshop, pre-owned car and then new cars.
Source & full interview at: ET Auto
wheelguy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:17   #115
BHPian

I remember back in 2017 before we brought home our Octavia we considered the Audi A3 1.4 TFSI. Upon entering the showroom I was greeted by a fine ( or not so ) gentleman. I told him that we were looking for the A3 upon exchanging our Rapid. He was cheerful and politely obliged.

That can be said until I asked him about the discounts Audi were offering on the A3. The SA gave a smile and said he will be back. Of course he never came back. None of the other SA even bothered to ask if we needed anything. We felt ignored and walked out with a terrible taste.
Went directly to Skoda and the rest is history.
Audi did call us 6 months later saying that there were discounts available.

Last edited by Octy17 : 3rd January 2020 at 13:30.
Old 9th February 2020, 23:54   #116
BHPian

Now you know what Audi India’s plan all along was.. concierge services

I didn’t know what prospective Luxury car owners needed was concierge more than the car itself.

I have seen some companies bite the dust going after random objectives and justifying their incompetence with corporate speak.. wonder what goes on in their board rooms ?

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...campaign=cppst
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 11:07   #117
BHPian

Even I read about this concierge services yesterday and was dumbfounded.

What has Audi come to? Rather than focus on their struggling core business, they are diversifying unnecessarily. That too into an area which has well established players.

They cannot satisfy a customer with a multi-million rupee car, imagine what will happen if a customer of their concierge services also gets upset!
venkats2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 17:06   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I didn’t know what prospective Luxury car owners needed was concierge more than the car itself.
Interestingly the article mentions over 75,000 Audi customers in India - I am assuming that covers second, third, and fourth owners of the cars as well? If so, I may just be able to fetch that much more when we sell our Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkats2001 View Post
They cannot satisfy a customer with a multi-million rupee car, imagine what will happen if a customer of their concierge services also gets upset!
Exactly! Most of the people purchasing vehicles in this segment will really not value it. Give me better service quality instead!
It is more of an overhead financial burden for Audi India compared to the value it adds to a customer.
With this move, I am convinced that Audi themselves have forgotten what their brand stands for.
Old 16th June 2020, 08:51   #119
BHPian

Latest Interview with Audi India Head Balbir Singh Dhillon.

UPDATED: 15 JUNE 2020 22:36 IST

Quote:
Focus on personal mobility may drive demand: Audi India head

Potential buyers of Audi will first focus on setting up and getting their businesses back on track before buying a car in the near term. The company sees a surge in demand for pre-owned luxury cars, says*Balbir Singh Dhillon, head, Audi India, in an interview. Edited excerpts:

What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the luxury car segment?

The luxury car industry was impacted due to the lockdown. The strict lockdown had a negative impact on the automotive businesses. While most of our showrooms and workshops are now open, given the easing restrictions, the impact of the pandemic has been felt severely on the overall business.

At Audi India, we have devised newer ways to execute our business strategy. Interacting with all stakeholders via digital mediums, managing teams online, and making business decisions from our home offices are the new ways of working. Our continued focus on digitalisation held us in good stead. At the same time, our employees continue to be the drivers of successful production but with requisite social distancing and safeguarding.

What about sales during the lockdown period?

The first quarter of 2020 saw an over 30% de-growth in luxury car sales. This quarter will probably be worse, given the lockdown. We are happy to report that most of our showrooms and workshops are now open as per directives from the government.

We have begun receiving test drive requests and potential customers are spending time on the website, configuring or customising their cars.

On the after-sales side, service-related requests have picked up very well, as most of our customers prepare to resume their daily lives.

How long do you think the economy will take to rebound?

We are in a phase where there is no historic data we can refer to, to chart our course of action.

Realistically, the luxury car segment will remain muted for some time before growth begins.*Optimistically, we could see some spurt in demand due to the changing buying behaviour with a focus on personal mobility. In the absence of other avenues to splurge on like luxury holidays etc., consumers might look buying a luxury car.

As consumers are deferring even non-essential buys, what about luxury cars?

A significant number of MSME owners and business professionals are luxury car customers. We have to respect that these potential buyers will first focus on setting up and getting their businesses back on track, before buying a car in the near term. This being said, we see a surge in demand for pre-owned luxury cars.

Our Audi approved: plus vertical has seen strong demand in 2019 when the new car market dropped 15%; we grew at 11% and expect to grow in double digits this year as well. On the other hand, we do believe that the thought process will change, people will start thinking on the lines of YOLO (You Only Live Once) and will want to splurge on a luxury vehicle in the absence of other avenues, including international holidays.

Is there a change in your sales target for FY21?

Needless to say that the prolonged shutdown has made us take a re-look at our business outlook for the year. Our business is very complex, therefore, regular planning is part of our work. We are happy to share that we have not made any changes to our long-term planning but we have had to make some adjustments to our near-term projects.

At Audi India, we remain focused on executing ‘Strategy 2025’ that focuses on four key pillars – products, digitilization, network and customer centricity.

What about your capex plans for the year?

The decision on additional capex for Audi India will depend on sales growth over medium to long term. At the moment we are well placed to cater to market demand.

Your production ramp up plan?

At the moment, we have the capacity as well as production schedule to cater to market demand. We have opened our plants adhering to government regulations for a safe work environment.

Did you experience any cancellation of orders?

Although we couldn’t deliver cars during the lockdown, our customers have not withdrawn their bookings. We are fully geared up to get back to normal business.

What were the learnings from Covid?

The pandemic has altered the way businesses operate. Business planning becomes key during such times. There are multiple learnings that will be crucial for the future such as phygital experience: strengthening the eco-system, sustainable business and focusing on productivity.
https://www.thehindu.com/business/lu...le31836064.ece
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 14:33   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this image in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?-.png
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed