Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 14:47   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishP9797 View Post
Coming down to engines, The 3 series has a powerful 330i, the C class has the C300d.. and A4? A 1.4 tsi and a not so exciting fwd 2 tdi. Even the A6 and A4 once had the 3.0 tdi, now they dont have any exciting engines to offer. Even the Q7 once had the 4.2 V8 Diesel, not anymore.
The S5 still exists with a turbo V6 and 350 horses if you want a petrol .
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 20:14   #77
BHPian

A different perspective, please don't grill me over it, I love Team BHP and all you people.

I'm partial to the Q7 since I own it and I would choose it a hundred times / blindly over the GLS. GLS is outdated even in its latest trim since it does not follow the uniform interior styling of the other Mercs (panoramic dashboard). That pop-up tiny screen looks okay in a B Class. Guess Bollywood or Most people who would never drive the vehicle / are chauffered driven would not care since its all about the exterior image? I guess part of that also has to do with the G Wagon being a hot seller amongst celebrities that they think can be achieved with the GLS maybe! I'm 100% sure no thought process into "what the car actually feels like or performs like" goes through their minds.

Land Rover has upped its game but the crappy slow software on the dashboard and reliability, in general, are a global issue. But it doesn't matter to the filthy rich. What matters is the vehicle looks good and everyone's buying it. The RR Evoque and Discovery Sport have a fan following only because of the brands legacy, you can't tell me you actually enjoy the drive in the cramped vehicle that feels so plain jane inside. Even the RR Velar is such a small puny vehicle for the money. Yeah it has two screens that hang occasionally in the middle of changing the climate (ask my friend Mr Shukla who owns the top trim). And frankly, if I wanted to spend money and get plain jane interiors. I'd be shopping for a Rolls Royce. Pun intended. I do not have that much money, yet.

Audi Q7 is still a very competent vehicle and their 3.0 diesel is an amazing engine that performs better than the old 4.2. I also own the XC90 but it does not have the magic of the Q7, Audi just does it right and takes care of every nook and corner. Yes the XC90 looks beefier but on the inside - where it matters - and the drive - Q7 excels. This opinion is mine and of a few friends who have actually chosen the Q7 over the XC90. Not of people spectating. Nothing is wrong with Audi, its just India that works in a different way.

The new generation A8 sets a new benchmark in my opinion, something that even the 2019 S class can't beat. The 2020 S Class will be a game changer for sure, with it's Tesla like the centre console.

The new Audi A6 should have a Long wheelbase for India since most people want that extra roominess in the back seat, which is what the E class wins at, although the BMW 5 series which everyone (including TeamBHP) adores is so much more desirable. I guess this post should be titled what's wrong with India and not Audi. Audi is doing fine elsewhere. Again, this is just my opinion and its very easy to comment on luxury vehicles in India when you are not actually in the market to buy one. But when you do come in, it's a matter of politics lol, who treats you better, which dealership makes you feel more LALA JI Type. Trust me, I know. "Sir Sir GLS lelo aapke liye black color reserve kar ke rakha hai, aaj hi nikaal dunga, Madam ji ko bhi pasand hai."

Last edited by harpreetkanwar : 5th April 2019 at 20:24. Reason: Formatted it to TBHP Standards :D
harpreetkanwar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 20:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Advertising a 60 lac rupee car and mentioning features which are easily found in cars of lower segments.

Looks like they arent even trying to sell their cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Whatever happened to Audi India? Why is the brand struggling since 2016?-7439ca2b92cb45918e4dfce10abfb83e.jpeg  

aparth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 20:36   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Apparently they have been cooking the books for a while and the slowdown in demand has caught them out. Staff and salesmen are leaving and many have not been paid for a month or two. Plus, like you said, they have a history of customers being disgruntled with them. I heard that the other big groups are moving in to take over the franchisees, since the Kolkata luxury market is still quite big. Unfortunately, it is only a couple of big groups who control the entire dealership market in Kolkata and Germans especially have no competition among themselves.

Funnily enough OSL (the BMW dealer) was in doldrums a year or two back, but they are doing good business today.

Also Volvo, after re-entering the Kolkata market, is doing well.
Was speaking to dad yesterday and he mentioned that Mohan Motors showed up in the papers for the wrong reasons. Looks like they're really facing the heat. Apparently they aren't long for continuing as the Audi dealer in Kolkata. Not sure how it will affect their other brands, maybe it will just be VAG companies that Mohan Motors will lose.
Old 18th April 2019, 20:18   #80
BHPian

Finally saw a 2020 Merc GLS at Auto Expo, NY. Now this is exactly what I was talking about. This is the vehicle you should be buying while dissing my love the Audi Q7. Some people will not like the looks as it looks slightly more Van'ish now than SUV. I would not be surprised if Merc GLS sales go down and people instead get 3 Ford Endeavours in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
A different perspective, please don't grill me over it, I love Team BHP and all you people.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th April 2019 at 21:01. Reason: Quote size edited. Please avoid quoting large posts entirely. Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:57   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest news suggest that the new S4 & S5 will be Mild Hybrid V6 Diesels.

3L TDI + Electric Motor totally producing 350 odd hp, 700 NM & achieving 0-100 km/h in about 4.8 seconds are very promising specifications thanks to Quattro.

Quite an innovative shift by Audi to prefer Diesel over petrol for their S models

If launched in India should be targeting the c43.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 16:52   #82
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Trouble brewing in Kolkata. I have been hearing some rumors and murmurs of trouble at the Kolkata Audi dealership whose the parent company also runs the Porsche and Ducati dealerships in the city. Looks like Audi (and the VAG) can't seem to catch a break! The parent company also runs dealerships of Hyundai, Isuzu, Maruti Suzuki, Nissan etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Was speaking to dad yesterday and he mentioned that Mohan Motors showed up in the papers for the wrong reasons. Looks like they're really facing the heat. Apparently they aren't long for continuing as the Audi dealer in Kolkata. Not sure how it will affect their other brands, maybe it will just be VAG companies that Mohan Motors will lose.
Audi Ranchi which was owned by Mohan Motors has shut shop last month. I think Audi Guwahati is owned by Mohan Motors too apart from Audi Kolkata. I know a few Audi customers from Ranchi who were very disappointed with Mohan Motors in the past. I hear that Bhubaneswar based Jyote group who own the Audi Bhubaneswar dealership are looking after the service part in Ranchi currently after Audi Ranchi has closed down. Most customers in Ranchi are now relying on Audi Bhubaneswar and Audi Raipur for aftersales support.

A close friend who owns a Porsche Boxster (also had a Porsche Cayenne earlier) in Ranchi is worried about the aftersales support after Mohan Motors closes down Eastern India's only Porsche Centre.

Last edited by //M : 2nd May 2019 at 16:54.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 22:44   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
Advertising a 60 lac rupee car and mentioning features which are easily found in cars of lower segments.

Looks like they arent even trying to sell their cars.
Exactly what the SA told us when we wanted to TD an A4. I wanted to tell him cars at less than a fraction of the A4’s price get a reverse cam. Bit my tongue
Nostalgic3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 14:02   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post

I guess this post should be titled what's wrong with India and not Audi. Audi is doing fine elsewhere.."
Beg to differ with you here sir. Having owned sedans and SUVs from all the big 3 ie Audi, Mercedes and BMW, I think even globally Audi has just lost the plot. Their sales have fallen drastically not only in India, but all over the world and BMW and Mercedes are outselling them by a huge margin. This is mainly due to much better styled products and innovative features.

Last year I was on the lookout for a midsize sedan and had shortlisted the A6, E class and the 5 series. I naturally went with the 5 series as it was the freshest of the lot, was amazing to drive and loaded with gizmos. The E class came a close second because of its luxurious feel and rear legroom. Whereas when I went to the Audi showroom - My kids almost burst out laughing when they saw the A6. They were like how can you even consider this. It looked drab, had boring interiors and the driving experience was boring as well.

Having owned the previous gen Q7 I used to be an Audi fan, but in the last few years it seems something is wrong with the global management of the brand. Their products have become boring in all aspects - looks, features and driving experience. Something drastic needs to be done to revive it. Maybe the Audi E-tron will lead the way.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 17:28   #85
BHPian

This is going from bad to worse

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...he-first-time/
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 18:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

why are they not launching their Q8 in India ? And also the Q4 ? It seems they are gestating for a while and readying portfolio for EV based lineup.
Old 6th May 2019, 18:15   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
why are they not launching their Q8 in India ? And also the Q4 ? It seems they are gestating for a while and readying portfolio for EV based lineup.
Forget Q4 & Q8. Even the A8 and A6 haven't been launched!

The E Class segment is what brings home largest numbers for Mercedes India IIRC (not just the new gen - but all generations), so the A6 should be a priority for Audi.

Similarly, the A8 needs to come in soon too, and they need to get a variant that will fill in the gap between the A6 & A8 LWB IMO (yes, I mean the regular wheelbase A8). BMW has the 6GT, Mercedes has the LWB E350. Audi has zilch.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 07:47. Reason: Minor spacing
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 20:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Audi Ranchi which was owned by Mohan Motors has shut shop last month. I think Audi Guwahati is owned by Mohan Motors too apart from Audi Kolkata.
Mohan Motors is neck deep in financial trouble and almost all their dealerships are closing down. First to shut shop was their Maruti outlet, then Mahindra pulled the plug, now Audi Kolkata & Ranchi. Porsche Kolkata too is teetering on the brink.

Audi Guwahati, I think is owned by a gentleman from Guwahati itself and not owned by the Mohan. From what I know, Audi Guwahati owner runs a profitable Tata Motors Commercial Vehicles outlet and several other allied businesses.

It would be good if Audi customers in Ranchi can find out and keep as backup an independent repairer. Because it will definitely take time for Audi to appoint new dealers in this affected regions.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2019 at 07:48. Reason: Minor spacing
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 11:58   #89
BHPian

I heard a surprising point of view on this. A die hard Audi sedan fan shifted his loyalty to the benz. The reason he says is all hyundai vernas now look like audis and he does not find them unique any more. I am not really sure if this is just a case of one person or if many are thinking like this.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:16   #90
BANNED

After four years of sliding sales, Audi hopes to fight back with new launches.

Audi is staring at its lowest sales this decade in India as a slowing automobiles market, weak product portfolio mix, and mounting competition combine to dent volumes. The German luxury carmaker is, however, putting in place a strategy to rebuild volumes by 2022.

Name:  70941314.cms.png
Views: 3007
Size:  326.7 KB
  • Audi expects to close this year with 5,000 units sales, which is going to be the least since 2010 and 4th consecutive year of decline.
  • Audi is the first luxury carmaker in India to cross the 10,000 units milestone.
  • Audi to discontinue diesel engines in India post April 2020.
  • Balbir Singh Dhillion replaces Rahil Ansari as head of Indian operations to bring back volumes to Audi India by 2020.
  • The new A6 is coming in the second half of September, the new A8 and Q8 are coming in December and then E-Tron next year.
  • No clarity on A3 BS-VI yet, Q2 & Q3 to come as CBUs, Q5 BS-VI to be locally manufactured.
  • Sales expected to slide further until 2020 due to limited local manufacturing, and stoppage of diesel models, etc.
  • Sales expected to grow from 2022 on-wards, future focus to be on petrols and hybrids.
Quote:
“I do agree that we have been silent and we didn't have sufficient product ammunition in the past 12 months. There are some gaps in our portfolio; we have informed the HQ about the same. The cars are coming now to create some excitement,” added Ansari.

Experts reckon that constant change in top management has hurt many international car brands, and the relocation of Ansari to a global role happens at a crucial juncture for the brand. The appointment of Dhillon would ensure continuity as he was already a part of the leadership team. Industry insiders say that the lack of focus from HQ on India has hurt brand Audi in the domestic market.
Source
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed