Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 16:10   #226
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

This looks like the Badal of yore but without the side strakes!

Why called is S-Presso? Its more Matka Chai!
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 16:26   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
From Facebook.

Attachment 1917791
Seriously. Was it really hard for Maruti to make this concept shape into production? Maruti, you really need to Learn how Honda made 2005 Civic concept almost as it is into production version, Ford made 2007 Ford Verve into Ford Fiesta, or even Tata H5X into Harrier. When it comes to Suzuki/Maruti, check how they made production versions so boring of Amazing concepts like Kizashi, A-Star and R3 Concept. (Ertiga)
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutifuturesconcept1.jpg  

tushky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 18:08   #228
BHPian

I’d like a bit of what Maruti’s smoking!

This has to be one of the worst looking cars on Indian roads, hands down! As the market leader, they should be the ones to take the industry forward in terms of design, safety and tech. And instead, we get terrible looking contraptions like this.

This makes the current Alto 800 look like it was styled by Pininfarina.

Just imagine seeing thousands of these on our roads. Just the thought makes me shudder.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 24th September 2019 at 18:10.
Aaron:) is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 19:52   #229
Senior - BHPian

Just looks like a staggered Alto. Enthusiasts should try to fit bigger and fatter wheels to make it look a little better.

In my books the KUV100 is the worst looking car in recent times, this might not be 'that' bad after some after-market wheels.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 19:53   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Last I heard the car dealers were happily rubbing their hands in glee after stocking up on official window sun shades which will be picked up by every new SPresso car buyer. After all, who will want to be seen driving their new S-Presso around town and risk getting spotted by their friends and family members. Imagine the embarrassing phone calls that will happen.

"Arre Sharmaji, my driver was telling me that he saw you in an ugly new car. But I told him impossible, Sharmaji wont buy a new car without telling me. Anyways I know your wife and children have good taste, they wont let you buy anything that looks bad."

Remember, even Varun Dhawan didnt allow his full face to be shown in the advertisement!

I suspect that Maruti has misread the market with this offering and the Kwid will continue to see healthy numbers without any impact from this micro SUV. Maruti will eventually go back to the proven Alto brand and will do it's best to try to forget this failed experiment. I think its safe to call it the S-Press-No.

Being of a cheery disposition, I cannot help but admire the underlying positive of this entire venture. Now all of us will welcome stickering jobs, mild facelifts and new paint scheme based variants from Maruti as they will all be a better option than their brand new designs. So maybe the joke is on us .....
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 19:55   #231
BHPian

I've never been fan of Maruti/Suzuki design. Although looks are subjective, I didn't like the design of Ignis/Ritz/Celerio/S-Cross/Grand Vitara and now this toy. They need to poach designers from Hyundai and JLR (Tata).
Old 24th September 2019, 20:06   #232
BANNED

Ungainly proportions, and ugly design in this age of modern designs. This is not Jimny to be a classic design.

But they have not overdone things like Eon, IMO.

Whatever be the response by public, Maruti will be launching it and none can stop them. Then, why can't this car replace 3 other ugly cars in their lineup? IMO, this should replace Alto, K10 and Celerio. All these 3 cars don't attract anyone because of the looks.

So their lineup will be:

SPresso
WagonR
Ignis
Swift
Baleno

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Alto and Celerio are not same segment. Alto has too strong a brand pull to simply discontinue one day.
Agree. But the other 2 - K10 and Celerio can pack-up, IMO.

I dream a gleaming car with a sleek design, 1.2 L engine, low-slung, fatter tyres, and sturdy body panels for city use. Can they deliver it as the next gen Alto?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 24th September 2019 at 20:35.
Old 24th September 2019, 20:20   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
IMO, this should replace Alto, K10 and Celerio.

Alto and Celerio are not same segment. Alto has too strong a brand pull to simply discontinue one day.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 20:28   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Whatever be the response by public, Maruti will be launching it and none can stop them. Then, why can't this car replace 3 other ugly cars in their lineup? IMO, this should replace Alto, K10 and Celerio. So their lineup will be:

SPresso
WagonR
Ignis
Swift
Baleno
True, Suzuki knows design, safety, appearance are all secondary to most of their Indian followers. Build them light, cheap, get the visible quality/finish spot on as well as price it appreciably lower than the competition, and push this down the gullets of it's almost 3000 strong dealer network. Voila they have another hit launch, like it or not!

For the discerning Indian car buyer, they would not be caught 'dead' (pun not intended) in such a car. But there are thousands out there who feel this is a brand new paisa-vassol model from Maruti. On the other hand for Suzuki this is a parts bin raid to plonk 'a new' model with minimal development costs to its saturated small car lineup.

This is like the automotive equivalent of roadside junk food; its hot, cheap and available aplenty, Bon Appetite!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 20:35   #235
BHPian

I somehow feel that my 2003 Alto VXI looks much better than this. May be I am biased.
Old 24th September 2019, 20:54   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

This looks like a doppelgänger of Mahindra Jeeto. Hyderabad municipality uses the Jeeto pickups to collect garbage. Imagine my plight when I am reminded of the stinking garbage van every time I see this Maruti which calls itself S-presso! It is going to be tough for me to enjoy my daily dose of expresso.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 21:02   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Leaking pictures of the bare bones base model 1st may be a strategy as during the official reveal Maruti would keep the top model in physical presence of the media for them to appreciate & say the car looks good in flesh etc. & an better overall acceptance eventually.

Also no spy shot of the interiors yet ? Maruti may be saving the interior reveal later probably they are the actual USP of this crossover.

I think this car has potential for higher volumes if it gets thicker tyres, good interiors & if priced right (Should undercut the Renault Kwid)

Last edited by karan561 : 24th September 2019 at 21:13.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 21:14   #238
BHPian

This is such a contraption of a design. MS India should actually question its top management for approving of such an aberration. I also feel that Suzuki would show it’s dissent over this move of MS India as they have their name attached to this Joke as well.

Just today I was admiring my Red Maruti Baleno hatchback and thinking out loud of how it still takes my breath away and today I see this Joke which MS calls Espresso :-(
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 21:58   #239
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
...I suspect that Maruti has misread the market with this offering and the Kwid will continue to see healthy numbers without any impact from this micro SUV.
Agree with all the things you said. But not the part quoted above.
In India anything with a Maruti Suzuki badge will set the sales chart on fire - no matter how ugly. Worst case scenario, that is if it is not a hit compared to other Maruti cars, it will still sell more than anything in the segment by a wide margin.

I am wondering how the designers thought of such a contraption in 2019.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 22:25   #240
Senior - BHPian

The S-Presso looks like an erstwhile Dolphin, Sipani Motors, Bangalore. We owned a Sipani D-1 with a BMC diesel engine. I was seriously thinking Maruti was trying to 'deceive' us by presenting leaks of some tin can and would come out with a stunner. But as the days roll by it's the same 'potty' like tin can appearing in all the leaks. Looks like the design head's grandson must have designed this!! How cheap can Maruti get to execute such a design.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 24th September 2019 at 22:26.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks