Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2019, 10:56   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If

And then I saw it in person. And I'll tell you what, it's not a bad looking car at all!

Exactly what I felt and reported here in this thread after seeing it in person. I firmly believe 99% of those who bash the car's design here just by going by the pics will have a surprise when they see it in person. It kinda looked cute, quirky and practical to me.

And the beefy body with chicken legs look is something every Spresso owner has to live with. It grows on you. There is a Tamil movie dialogue "Paathona sila per ah pudikum, silara paaka paaka dhaan pudikum" which translates to "you like some people at the first look, while you start liking some people only after you repeatedly see them". Spresso sure belongs to the second category.

By the way, Maruti dealer at my city is still bluffing that they have not gotten RTO approval for test drive car and that there is no exchange bonus for Spresso as it's a new launch.
Bugger, it's not a niche , ultra rare car that I wanna buy, you sell me a spacious soap box on wheels with a reliable engine, act accordingly! Can't stand their "sir new car, no discounts, not even an exchange bonus" attitude.

Also, that DRL for 9000, every other accessory comes only as an additional purchase and not as standard even on top variant, that's a silly way to make money, Maruti. The car definitely looks good with certain accesories.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th October 2019 at 10:58.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 10:58   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My only issue is not actually with the car, but MSIL's insistence in calling it a micro/mini SUV when clearly, it's nothing but a raised hatchback.
Raised hatch or minivan is their origin however for most buyers that's insignificant, the looks matter. They have got some SUV looks there, a lot boxier than a Kwid.

In this CSUV, SubCSUV& MCSUV segment, I guess they all(the best sellers) are based on some hatch or minivan etc.
Old 10th October 2019, 18:04   #543
BHPian

Just spotted fully loaded in White at signal with 4 people sitting in, it certainly looks WAY better in person except rear three quarter which gave me a strong feeling of something is missing in design maybe due to unpainted bumper or its design, couldn't figure out the reason though. I am bit disappointed with the colour quality as it lacks the shine of a new car. Though it seems taller in picture, it was almost as tall as swift and considerably shorter than Santro Xing (maybe weight of passengers has lowered it) but I feel its narrower dimension makes it look taller than it actually is. It was grabbing a lot of eyeballs.

One thing I would like to mention that by just looking at it I got a feeling that it is a "LIGHT" car (puny tyres could be the culprit) .

Due to fully loaded cabin, gap between wheel arches and wheel were considerably lowered and didn't look unnatural. This is one rare car which looks better fully loaded. With 4 people on board it looked fully packed and fifth passenger would be a hard fit IMHO.

Engine must be having good low and mid range as with green light it zipped pass through almost every other car and seemed very agile, compact dimensions helped it further.

I saw its front end in my mirror and it appeared as larger car.

My first impression,
1) Looks are subjectictive and for me it is not ugly, not butch, not macho, not cute, not subtle, not beautiful. Well, let just accept its just a car.

2)S presso makes for a very good urban car with compact but not so small dimension (it indeed looks bigger than actual size) and smart space management (assuming from previous posts).

3) We will see lot of wheel and tyre upgradation/modifications.

Note- I was on motorcycle hence couldn't click any pics.
JJay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 02:10   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend and bhpian and I went to the Durga Puja hall at Besant Nagar and S Presso was on display. As many said, both of us felt the car to be less hideous in person. The space management is great and the tall seating position is going to be a hit with the mid age crowd. The plastics are entry grade but the buyers for an entry segment may not worry too much about it. I'll be surprised if this doesnt sell as much as the Alto - its an "SUV" for the aam junta!

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191005_202814.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191005_202759_hdr.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 11th October 2019 at 05:38. Reason: Minor typo
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 11:53   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Everything you said is true. It will hit a sweet spot for the crowd & will sell in volumes. Its competition are the Kwid and KUV100 mainly. Compared to those, the car is a better bargain considering the Maruti peace of mind & ease of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The plastics are entry grade but the buyers for an entry segment may not worry too much about it.
Till the time this thought changes - car makers (across all brands) will keep selling dogs as SUVs and premium cars. We are buyers and its time we asked for mature & built- with-quality products. Its a crime to ourselves to accept inferior material. Buyers SHOULD worry. Its our money used to buy the car...
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:26   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Everything you said is true. It will hit a sweet spot for the crowd & will sell in volumes. Its competition are the Kwid and KUV100 mainly. Compared to those, the car is a better bargain considering the Maruti peace of mind & ease of ownership.

Till the time this thought changes - car makers (across all brands) will keep selling dogs as SUVs and premium cars. We are buyers and its time we asked for mature & built- with-quality products. Its a crime to ourselves to accept inferior material. Buyers SHOULD worry. Its our money used to buy the car...
This is a sincere question and I am not trolling. I want to understand what is the purpose of soft plastic? I have owned about 10 cars in my life (both here and abroad) . It never occured to me to even notice the plastic.

Same question with regards to LED tail lamps or turn indicators. What is so special about them ?
rrnsss is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:39   #547
Senior - BHPian

Saw the car yesterday while going back home. It was Blue car and it looked cute for sure. Didn't look odd at all, in fact i liked the way it looked. Surely Maruti has winner in hand & this will be very good car for city use. Photos are misleading, go check out car in person guy's.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:44   #548
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
This is a sincere question and I am not trolling. I want to understand what is the purpose of soft plastic? I have owned about 10 cars in my life (both here and abroad) . It never occured to me to even notice the plastic.

Same question with regards to LED tail lamps or turn indicators. What is so special about them ?
You Sir, are evolved beyond us.

If that is your outlook towards these things, I think you should consider yourself lucky. It seems that you don't really care much about 'feel good' things which most of us care and crib about.

It seems as if you are alright with a product as long as its functional and working. There are many people in the world who have this outlook towards things including my own little bro. From what I have observed, such people generally live a more content life.

I hope that my sincere response didn't offend you in anyway. I have based my answer on the basis of such 'content people'. Such people can be found across multiple societies having different financial status.

On the other hand, some people like us who have a keen eye for such things like 'soft-touch plastic', LED lights etc. do prefer them as they feel premium and provide for better aesthetics respectively(some features also have functional advantages) and make us feel 'content', which you already are.

I hope that I was able to answer your question.

P.S. I was only answering your post. In no way is this answer, a continuation of the previous posts regarding S-Presso and its 'quality'.

Last edited by AYP : 11th October 2019 at 14:48.
AYP is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:45   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Soft plastic is a different thing altogether. I was one of the very few who had it in a budget car like a Vista. I had a "DriveTech4" generation Vista that was made only for 2-3 months in a small batch. Probably they realized nobody was still buying the car & removed it . It had very premium soft plastic all over the dash & all door trims. It makes a huge difference to feel. Looking out from window when reversing while parking, keeping hand on the sill etc - you feel so much different and better. And - it doesn't scratch at all. It remains good for a long time after use. Its the same plastic that you generally feel around the steering wheel. Softer to feel.

However - that's not what anyone will ask for at this price-point at all. As a matter of fact - the plastic right now in cars below the WagonR is so thin - its practically SOFT! The dashboard & even the door trim panels literally flex by the touch of the little finger. Hard plastic is absolutely fine. But it should still be sufficiently thick & strong. Shouldn't be "visibly" cheap that's all.

LEDs - people feel its premium. Everyone has own opinions, priorities etc. But then - LEDs have one significant advantage over halogens without doubt. Its the start-up time to illumination. The LEDs light up instantaneously & having LEDs for indicators & brake lamps is a considerable safety benefit. It gives that fraction of a second more in reaction time to those behind. Also - LEDs give far more actual light output vis-a-vis power consumption for same spec halogen & so are much more visible in daylight also. Again - not something we really should ask for at this price point. These are also used as a "premium" feature by car makers and so are reserved for costlier cars.

As a real life example - I had halogen white bulbs in the reverse lamps of the Nexon like any other car. In dark - the reverse view camera was quite pathetic. Very noisy low quality picture. I replaced the bulbs with white LEDs (sourced quite cheap from AliExpress) and there is a night-and-day difference. I see as clear & good as day in the reversing view on the head unit now. The lighting is so much better.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th October 2019 at 14:53.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:45   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think soft plastic means less rattles. And ofcourse it feels great to touch it.
tushky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 14:50   #551
BHPian

Quote:
I want to understand what is the purpose of soft plastic?
OT warning, but wanted to answer.
When I went to buy Tata Manza back then along with my parents, we were aghast the moment we sat in the car, the dashboard plastic quality was resembling the 20 rupees bucket that you get in chor baazar That was it, even before the test drive started, we had decided never to own a TATA. Fastforward 2018, when we sat in Hexa, the plastic quality screamed premium and we bought our first TATA. It matters for tactile and aesthetic pleasures I guess.
doxinboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 22:43   #552
BANNED

Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-su...ni-suv-2115468

10k bookings for S-presso in 11 days. We doomsayers better run for a cover.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 23:45   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
10k bookings for S-presso in 11 days. We doomsayers better run for a cover.
That's quiet an achievement, especially when the economy is on a nosedive. Maruti has once again proved that it knows India's pulse like no other. Most of the negative comments are about the looks based on the pictures, but members who have seen this in flesh are subtle in their criticism. People who are booking would have compared them with new Kwid, especially after Renault splashed full page ads in the dailies.

What needs to be dissected is the demography and the reason they are going for S-presso instead of the competition. Perhaps after 2 or 3 months we will be able to see the rate of cannibalization and the dent caused to the competition. Until then, I am going to ogle the tiny tot on our street, and take a nice look at the driver to see if he is proud or ashamed of owning this car.
doxinboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 07:19   #554
Senior - BHPian

Looks aside, I guess it will be a great city car, more so for ladies, senior citizens and new drivers due to the higher seating position, visibility of the bonnet and small footprint, all of which aid quite a bit in city driving. Add AMT to the mix, and you have the perfect fuss free city runabout. For those looking for something functional, it suits their requirements to the T. Love that flame red colour. Should be cheaper in case of repairs too, as it is a solid colour and not metallic.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 08:01   #555
BHPian

One offroader concept seen in youtube.

Copyrights to the respective owner.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed