Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2019, 16:59   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

As promised, I'm posting my impression of the S-Presso, bought recently by my mama last month. The variant that he bought is the top end manual, with Ignis alloys.

Dimensions-wise it's clearly smaller than Wagon-R. To me it looks more like a taller Kwid. The interiors are funky & the Mini-esque central console is practical due to size, full marks to designers. The plastics are class appropriate IMO.

The ride fair as I don't expect much from a short wheelbase tall minicar. But, the engine is definitely it's strength, & I don't think it needs the bigger engine, rather it needs better tyres.

I'm of opinion that it won't overtake Wagon-R but it would definitely ward off competition... Product differentiation.

But personally I would prefer the Celerio over this or Wagon-R.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 18:38   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The variant that he bought is the top end manual, with Ignis alloys.

The ride fair as I don't expect much from a short wheelbase tall minicar. But, the engine is definitely it's strength, & I don't think it needs the bigger engine, rather it needs better tyres.
Congratulations.

Can you share some snaps of the car with those alloys? Would like to see how it looks with 15" alloys. Also how is the ride? He must have changed the tyres also. Can you also share snaps of it's front and rear wheel wells, front with tyres moved to either side. That would let us see the clearance after the upsize.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 20:26   #753
Senior - BHPian

Hi @BoneCollector

I could not click pics as I was not supposed to be away from marriage venue for long & the lighting outside wasn't ideal for good pics... to be honest I was more excited to drive & forgot to click the pics.

But have got this pic from delivery day (minus the alloys):
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191013wa0019.jpg

That's my teenager cousin BTW.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 09:43   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait...what?!

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-b70b6b90dcff40ddb93232050b1554a9.jpeg

Venue - Hi-Tech Awards 2019 by the Jagran group.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 30th November 2019 at 09:51. Reason: Details
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 18:22   #755
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I have always maintained that we should call an SUV an SUV if the manufacturer so says it. This actually makes it a simple affair in the current times of diminishing line between a hatch, a crossover and an SUV. By using this logic, I have so far considered the Hexa, BR-V and the WR-V as SUVs(the WR-V was the most difficult to digest).

However, with Maruti calling the S-Presso a mini-SUV, I am left confused now. There is no way I am calling the S-Presso an SUV. I had a similar feeling a few years back with the WR-V but I was somehow able to make peace with it.

Ignoring the merits and demerits of 'Best Hatchback' award being given to the S-Presso (as stated in the above post), I am glad that it wasn't given the 'Best SUV' award. That would have been a shame. Now, how do I classify an SUV? How do I differentiate it from an MPV or a hatch? That is perhaps for some other time(and case).

So I bumped upon this S-Presso parked near my locality. There was ample space ahead of it and I just decided to park my car in front of it and have a small comparative photo-shoot.

I was left a bit startled for a minute or two-

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191124_180831.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191124_180822.jpg

From the above 2 pics, most of you would have noticed that the S-Presso looks bigger not only in terms of height but also in terms of size(length). This in no way, is a distortion caused by the camera. I could observe the same with my own eyes as well as was in a fix.

This changed though as I moved to the opposite side of the road-

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191124_180915.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191124_180924.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191124_180930.jpg

Now that we have established that the S-Presso is indeed a smaller car than the Figo(as the dimensions itself suggest), there is little doubt that the road presence of these small hatchbacks is accentuated by their raised height and boxy bonnet design. Gotta give credit to Maruti.

A few snaps from the inside of the car, facing the S-Presso-

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191124_181058.jpg

In this pic, I am holding my phone on the top of the Figo's steering-

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-20191124_181045.jpg
AYP is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:16   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's S Presso climbs up the top 10 sales chart. Now is ranked at Nr. 8 in Nov-19 dispatches.

Only question to be answered is when will it displace Alto?

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-1.png

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:36   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
However, with Maruti calling the S-Presso a mini-SUV, I am left confused now. There is no way I am calling the S-Presso an SUV.
Well, we can call it as micro SUV Whatever, we call, S-Presso does looks very cute on road, especially in vibrant colors like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Only question to be answered is when will it displace Alto?
My take, by the month of March 2020, mostly due to new year purchases.
Old 8th December 2019, 08:45   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @BoneCollector

I could not click pics
Hi, please don't mind my repeat request but did you get some snaps of the car? If not, can you please get some snaps of the car with the alloys, long shots as well as close ups? Thanks.
Old 10th December 2019, 11:01   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

These two kept me company while coming to office this morning. Quite a coincidence. Since inception I have been comparing the Spresso with Celerio in any discussions/thoughts. This picture fits those!

Celerio & Spresso Together in real world -
(Click image for higher resolution & detail.)
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-celeriospresso.jpg

I did stop right behind the SPresso at a traffic junction. At the middle seat position, it seems my seat height in the Nexon was similar to that in the SPresso driver's. Maybe 1-2 cms higher in Nexon at most.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th December 2019 at 11:05.
Old 10th December 2019, 16:11   #760
BHPian

Has anyone noticed that the car has only 1 reverse lamp on the left? Apparantly my FIL thought there was a mistake and called the dealer, who himself had no idea about it and requested to wait until he can get this verified.
Old 10th December 2019, 16:17   #761
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Has anyone noticed that the car has only 1 reverse lamp on the left?
Yes. The right side one is blank. There is a provision but there no hole drilled-in for the bulb to fit.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 16:18   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the car has only 1 reverse lamp on the left? Apparantly my FIL thought there was a mistake and called the dealer, who himself had no idea about it and requested to wait until he can get this verified.
Woah, nice catch. Looks like it has provision for fogs(like SX4) in RHS assembly(obviously deleted in India).

Checked pics from my old posts, reverse light is there only on LHS side.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0026.jpg
Old 10th December 2019, 16:26   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes. The right side one is blank. There is a provision but there no hole drilled-in for the bulb to fit.
I told my FIL the forum would be quicker than the dealer in responding Is this across the range or the top end models have 2 bulbs?
Old 10th December 2019, 16:41   #764
BANNED

Quote:
Is this across the range or the top end models have 2 bulbs?
My neighbour has the AMT version (not sure of the variant) and in his car there is only one reverse bulb on the left.
Old 10th December 2019, 17:33   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hi, please don't mind my repeat request but did you get some snaps of the car? If not, can you please get some snaps of the car with the alloys, long shots as well as close ups? Thanks.
Hi @BoneCollector

This is what I could manage (plz note that I'm dealing with medical emergency in family & have to devote time there). Hope it helps your cause:

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191013wa0014.jpg
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed