Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2019, 09:38   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiator View Post
Another major negative are the below average brakes. They lack stopping power. They were as powerful as my uncle's 10 year old WagonR.
Okay that's a bit of a surprise now. The AltoK10 for example has remarkably good brakes. For a light car without ABS, the car has excellent braking performance. From any speed it comes to a very sturdy standstill in straight line. The bite and boost is very well calibrated. I am doubtful if MSIL can wreck that good setup in another very similar car. It might well be a specific case in the car you drove thanks to user abuse.
Old 18th December 2019, 11:00   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Okay that's a bit of a surprise now. The AltoK10 for example has remarkably good brakes. For a light car without ABS, the car has excellent braking performance. From any speed it comes to a very sturdy standstill in straight line. The bite and boost is very well calibrated. I am doubtful if MSIL can wreck that good setup in another very similar car. It might well be a specific case in the car you drove thanks to user abuse.
I was surprised as well.The TD car was only 150km old. The pedal travel felt more than average and the response was very spongy. I would be taking another TD in a different car to clear my doubt.
Radiator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 11:22   #783
BHPian

Quote:
I was surprised as well.The TD car was only 150km old. The pedal travel felt more than average and the response was very spongy. I would be taking another TD in a different car to clear my doubt.
Not trying to challenge your experience but just curious if you have any Maruti car in your stable? The reason I ask is that if someone is coming from lets say a Hyundai, brake set up of most maruti cars will feel like spongy and with more pedal travel in general. We have hyundais and Toyotas in extended families while having all Maruti garage at home. Whenever we get a chance to drive Hyundais, we feel that it's aggressive in braking ability while the other folks feel opposite for Maruti. Sometimes the traits of your current ride lead to varied results the moment you hop on to other brand. I hope the next TD helps to shed some more light on braking of S Presso. The last thing anyone wants in this super light car is weaker brakes. Waiting for your assessment post next TD.
headbanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 11:47   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Not trying to challenge your experience but just curious if you have any Maruti car in your stable? The reason I ask is that if someone is coming from lets say a Hyundai, brake set up of most maruti cars will feel like spongy and with more pedal travel in general. We have hyundais and Toyotas in extended families while having all Maruti garage at home. Whenever we get a chance to drive Hyundais, we feel that it's aggressive in braking ability while the other folks feel opposite for Maruti.
Spot on. When i drive my in-laws i10, the brakes seems aggressive with lesser travel than my WagonR.
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 12:49   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Not trying to challenge your experience but just curious if you have any Maruti car in your stable? The reason I ask is that if someone is coming from lets say a Hyundai, brake set up of most maruti cars will feel like spongy and with more pedal travel in general. We have hyundais and Toyotas in extended families while having all Maruti garage at home. Whenever we get a chance to drive Hyundais, we feel that it's aggressive in braking ability while the other folks feel opposite for Maruti. Sometimes the traits of your current ride lead to varied results the moment you hop on to other brand. I hope the next TD helps to shed some more light on braking of S Presso. The last thing anyone wants in this super light car is weaker brakes. Waiting for your assessment post next TD.
I completely understand your concern. And regarding Marutis, I personally own a Vitarra brezza, and have extensively driven the Swift and WagonR, both belonging to my extended family. All those cars have decent braking setup, but the spresso's brakes felt strictly average. I think Maruti has fiddled with the brake boosters.
Radiator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 17:51   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Another major negative are the below average brakes. They lack stopping power. They were as powerful as my uncle's 10 year old WagonR.
I presume this has to do with the specific car. The S-Presso I did my TD on had very aggressive brakes, i.e. the car was stopping immediately and much before I expected it to.
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 12:26   #787
Senior - BHPian

A nice little review on the performance of the Spresso. The reviewer seem to be mighty impressed.

Question -> The same engine on Maruti WagonR doesn't feel so much responsive, what has Maruti done on the Spresso ? Is it that the modifications to BS6 has made the engine so much more responsive and fun ?

Note: The performance review starts at 8:30 in the video.

Last edited by DCEite : 24th December 2019 at 12:32.
Old 24th December 2019, 12:35   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
A nice little review on the performance of the Spresso. The reviewer seem to be mighty impressed.

Question -> The same engine on Maruti WagonR doesn't feel so much responsive, what has Maruti done on the Spresso ? Is it that the modifications to BS6 has made the engine so much more responsive and fun ?
Yes, BS-6 has played a minor role as Maruti has retuned the 1.0 K-series engine. However, the weight of the S-presso is what has really enhanced performance. At barely 700kg, it's lighter than the already light wagon R and that's what really gives it the edge. IMHO, it is the only selling point for the S-presso as a product.

Off topic, but I don't support the way this gentleman thrashes TD cars. I will admit he has balls of steel to take the S-presso to those speeds, but most of his videos portray reckless driving on public roads.

Last edited by vishy76 : 24th December 2019 at 12:36.
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 13:58   #789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
A nice little review on the performance of the Spresso.
I wonder what's wrong these days. There are so many reviewers on YouTube and their reviews are crazy.

Quote:
The reviewer seem to be mighty impressed.
He is impressed with the hilarious wheelspin! All he has done is start with a wheelspin, reach crazy speeds for that car on public roads and then stop and repeat. I'm still wondering what's hilarious out there, the wheelspin or his review?
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:20   #790
BHPian

Got a chance to drive this for a couple of days. Have been left very impressed by this handy little hyper-dog of a car. A couple of observations:

1) The seat - by default - is set way too high up and with no lever to adjust the same it takes some getting used to. On the plus side, you can go eye-to-eye with a scorpio (just about) .

2) No RPM or engine temperature indicator. I couldn't figuire out how to get them on the dashboard from the manual as the dashboard does have space for these.

3) Brakes are not good enough simply put. If you're on the highway as we were for a good 400kms one needs to plan and brake with enough road ahead. ICE this is not the car to be in at high speeds.

4) Seat belt alarms for driver + passenger. It got my wife to keep the belt on the entire time - something I fail to do Big plus for this.

Overall it left me with a big

Any one else notice point (2) ? Any solutions for this.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd January 2020 at 14:33. Reason: Mod note attached.
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 08:21   #791
Distinguished - BHPian

S Presso continues to be in the limelight.

Consolidates its position in the top 10 cars, dispatched in Dec-19. Does 8394 with a slight dip when compared to Nov-19.

Link
Old 5th January 2020, 19:03   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Yellow board taxi anyone?

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20200105_111441975__01.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20200105_111428740__01.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 15:47   #793
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We have been semi-seriously mulling over a new small car for close to an year now. The car would be to replace our 2007 Alto, and would be mainly used by my wife, mostly for daily office commute in Bangalore traffic. My wife is not the best of the drivers out there and the battle marks on the current Alto is a testimony. Knowing this, she is not very keen on idea of a new car, as that would be added pressure to prevent nicks and dents. The Alto is aged and in pretty run-down shape. I feel its high-time to upgrade to an AMT and with some basic safely features over the current Alto which has none.
In past, we have looked-at and test driven cars like new i10, Ignis and Tiago, but the urge to get a new car was lost somewhere in scheme of other mundane day 2 day affairs. Until recently, where i drove the Alto couple of weeks back and realized (all over again), an upgrade is long due.

Was discussing this yesterday with another BHPian RedLiner and he suggested to have a look at the new Maruti Spresso which i did. And just yesterday, my wife visited the Bangalore art festival (chitra-santhe) and at the parking there noticed a white Spresso. When she returned, i tod her that i have a new car proposal and she said she had seen a small maruti car and liked it and on comparing notes, we were both talking about the Spresso.

With the background narrated, its not usual where we immediately agree on the same thing. Now that we both are on the same page with Spresso, would look forward to test drive and hope it works. As most here, I am not very convinced with the looks, but practicality and urban commute is priority. May look at alloys/bigger wheels, if that helps. Meanwhile did some quick readup on the kwid which looks much nicer, but would prefer the K10 for the better performance between the two. AMT would be out choice. Previously, we had come close to finalizing on the Tiago AMT, Hope going ahead with Spresso is decent choice.
Old 6th January 2020, 15:53   #794
BHPian

Guys, how is the mileage for this car? Also, any feedback for female drivers - I am looking for this vehicle for my mother who is currently driving an old Alto K10.
Old 9th January 2020, 12:12   #795
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

OK, Test drove the S-presso yesterday. The AGS (AMT) version, blue colour. The car was and loaded with all possible accessories including all chrome trims, fake bash plate, etc. In person, the design does look odd but not as odd as in pics. Am sure those accessories would be helping the cause. The gap under the wheel arch is one of the major sore points. I was thinking of 15" alloys, would like to know from experts if that makes sense.

Once inside, the interiors felt good and moderately premium with those textured black plastics. Fit and finish was above par. Engine felt eager and AGS felt fine (no prior experience with Automatic, so no reference point). Test drive was a short one so could not judge the suspension but handling felt easy. Horn sucks!
OTR price in Bangalore is approx Rs.600500 for the VXI+automatic+ accessories extra. 10500Rs for those two DRL LEDS felt like a lot of money. Can get powerful rigids for 12k from US. And this price is valid for 2019 where just red and silver is available in top trim. for the 2020 make, there would be an increase in price which would be official in a few days time. So all in all with accessories, the car will cost approx 6.5L which is not really economical.

All in all, it seems like an apt choice for a city car for daily commute, albeit a bit expensive in Bangalore. Will take another longish test drive along with wife (who will actually be using it) and take a call.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 9th January 2020 at 12:16.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks