Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2020, 22:40   #811
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Thanks amithjha for enlightening me, I was not aware how exorbitant the taxes are in Nepal. I'm not sure if there is a dedicated thread for Nepal on our forum.

what do normal middle class folks drive in Nepal? And what Indian import is considered to be aspirational and status symbol.

Coming back to S-presso, how is the response there?

Thanks
Hyundai is the market leader here. The commonest cars from Hyundai stable are Grand i10, i20 Active and Creta and now Venue. Maruti comes close with Celerio, Swift and Brezza selling in good numbers. If you have been wondering why Celerio has been featuring in top 20 list with not so many on Indian road, that's because they have been selling well in Nepal. Altos and Eons make 99% of the taxis.

And everyone likes Ford Ecosport and Tata Nexon here.

There are so many Isuzu D-max, Toyota Hilux, Mahindra Scorpio PikUp and Nissan Navara here because they are listed as commercial vehicles and attract a tax of only 110%. Isuzu D-max is just 25 lacs INR here while V-Cross is 45 lacs INR and Toyota Hilux 52-55 lacs INR.

For the middle class Nepalese, if one car holds aspirational value, its Creta. Mitsubishi Pajero and Toyota Prado are most talked because they are the cars of choice for politicians bought by taxpayers' money.

They are more Hyundai Verna and Skoda Rapid on road than Honda City. I've recently been seeing a fair number of Kia Sportage on roads too.
amitjha086 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 23:00   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
If you have been wondering why Celerio has been featuring in top 20 list with not so many on Indian road, that's because they have been selling well in Nepal
The Celerio actually sells pretty well in India and is a great car for city drives. I see an equal number of men and women drive it here. I myself love this car for city drives. Perfect in every sense wrt proportion, driveability, tall stance, nice engine, frugal, can seat 4 in comfort and what not.
NFS2024 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 15:30   #813
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

We test drove the Spresso yesterday and Booked a granite grey AMT.

A small car purchase was pending for a while as our alto is 13 years old and an upgrade was much needed. Our car is mainly used by my wife for daily commuting as i am more of a motorcycle guy. One of the main reasons to look for a new car was an AMT gear box for the notorious Bangalore traffic apart from the fact that old Alto has lived it life and is in run-down shape.

We saw many cars from spresso to tiago to i10 sports to kwid to ignis, but budget was an important factor hence the choice narrowed down to Kwid and Spresso. We really loved the looks of Kwid, but the Spresso engine felt livelier and the familiarity with maruti tilted the decision in favour of Spresso. Wife was more inclined towards Kwid and it was me who sort of brainwashed her with some auto-jargons and convinced to go with spresso. Its a funny looking car for sure, but practical in many ways, and felt like a decent upgrade to the 2007 alto. As per Pratham motors, we should be getting the delivery in about a weeks time. I had a few questions for the members here, do share your thoughts:

* The car comes with DRL LED lights as accessories, but it does not come ON with ignition. There is a separate button and everytime we have press it hard twice to illuminate it. Is there a way where the lights could be connected to ignition where it stays on with the ignition on, like a typical DRLs.

* we were thinking about alloys wheels just to try and elevate the aesthetics on which the car is short charged. Do alloys make sense for a small car? what are the basis brands i can check? Any particular place/shop in Bangalore to check? how much do they approximately cost? MGA has only one design and is asking 7k per alloys.

* Basic accessories like rain shade for the door, door protectors, false plastic skid plates, and a lot of other such accessories are offered by MGI. Does it make sense to go for some of them, or will it be economical to get aftermarket brands from outside? If yes, where in Bangalore can i look for Spresso accessories?
* we were also thinking of a seat cover, but all maruti has is too busy designs and only monochrome tones. Any places outside to look for basic plain but decent quality seat covers?

* Any other pointers, which we should keep in mind?

TIA.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 15:39   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Congratulations on the acquisition! Wishing you & your family unlimited safe & happy miles with it.
Quote:
* The car comes with DRL LED lights as accessories, but it does not come ON with ignition. There is a separate button and everytime we have press it hard twice to illuminate it. Is there a way where the lights could be connected to ignition where it stays on with the ignition on, like a typical DRLs.
Yes you can. Simply ask them not to install the switch but to tap the wire into the ECU / ACC fuse in the engine bay fuse box using a fuse tap. Fuse taps are available pretty cheap on Amazon.in and you can very much do this yourself. You can ask them to just install the DRL in the bumper (I think it needs cutting/removal of a cap) and tie the wires into the engine bay besides battery. You can complete the tapping later yourself.
Quote:
We were thinking about alloys wheels just to try and elevate the aesthetics on which the car is short charged. Do alloys make sense for a small car? what are the basis brands i can check? Any particular place/shop in Bangalore to check? how much do they approximately cost? MGA has only one design and is asking 7k per alloys.
You've opted for the Spresso over much safer (proven) cars citing the low price. Spending a significant amount on a cosmetic upgrade doesn't seem right with that philosophy IMO. Alloys won't come cheap. You are looking at an expense upwards of 20k, assuming you don't change the stock tyres.
Quote:
Basic accessories like rain shade for the door, door protectors, false plastic skid plates, and a lot of other such accessories are offered by MGI. Does it make sense to go for some of them, or will it be economical to get aftermarket brands from outside? If yes, where in Bangalore can i look for Spresso accessories?
MGA tend to be costlier but they are quite good quality too. They last long & age well. I wouldn't advise against buying them.
Quote:
Any other pointers, which we should keep in mind?
Remember to opt for extended warranty if not done already.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 15:47   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations.

Quote:
* The car comes with DRL LED lights as accessories, but it does not come ON with ignition. There is a separate button and everytime we have press it hard twice to illuminate it.
I find this surprising. Maruti used to offer/ still offers Philips DRLs as genuine accessories. It has 2 led DRL bars and a control module. Although there is no leaflet to help in wiring, there are connections mentioned on the module which helps in wiring. These DRLs work the way an actual DRL works, no separate switch for it. I turn on the ACC mode, it lights up. I switch on headlights, it switches off. Why I'm surprised? The DRL accessory for S-Presso is around 10K and that Philps one was for 3690/- only. I've been using it for over 3 years, no issues as yet.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20180713wa0002.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th February 2020 at 15:54. Reason: Added image.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 15:52   #816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I find this surprising. Maruti used to offer/ still offers Philips DRLs as genuine accessories. It has 2 led DRL bars and a control module. Although there is no leaflet to help in wiring, there are connections mentioned on the module which helps in wiring. These DRLs work the way an actual DRL works, no separate switch for it. I turn on the ACC mode, it lights up. I switch on headlights, it switches off. Why I'm surprised? The DRL accessory for S-Presso is around 10K and that Philps one was for 3690/- only. I've been using it for over 3 years, no issues as yet.
Yes that Philips unit is very robust and a friend has also installed it on his Punto Evo. The 3rd wire is what does the trick to dim/turn off when headlights are turned on.

This particular SPresso accessory indeed is a basic one with switch. Its custom made with shape for the SPresso bumper cut-out. Using a switch really is silly for the price point though. I'm not sure if it has the auto-dim/third wire capability. I hope it doesn't stay ON in full intensity even when headlamps are turned on.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 15:53   #817
BHPian

Saw 3 Spresso yesterday on road (surprising but whatever). One had some deep side swipe scratches which was a topic of a long discussion with my co passenger on whether parking/handling smaller cars inspires false confidence. Some other observations:

1. Looks like a Brezza with some type of growth defect. I felt it looks bad in general and co passenger settled on quirky. The orange shade is definitely the best look. Black had a grey interior tone and made the car look smaller (if that's possible)

2. Had a small conversation with the owner who had bought this for his wife (he said that a couple of times to make sure that I wouldn't assume otherwise). His reasoning was price and the "adequate" engine for city. Complained that there was no CNG option.

3. Personally, I will just buy the K10 before I think of this.
Driving80kph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 16:08   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving80kph View Post
I would concur with that (considering I own the Alto K10!). It seems quite a few would have had similar calculations according to Maruti business managers. So the Alto K10 has been discontinued. If one wants the K10 engine, SPresso, Celerio & WagonR are the options now.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 20:04   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You've opted for the Spresso over much safer (proven) cars citing the low price. Spending a significant amount on a cosmetic upgrade doesn't seem right with that philosophy IMO. Alloys won't come cheap. You are looking at an expense upwards of 20k, assuming you don't change the stock tyres.
I do get you point on the safety and we could have also stretched the budget to get lower end variant of a tiago or ignis. But the issue was that wife was more comfortable with the old alto and did not want a new car mainly for the fact that she is not confident enough of using a new and larger car and fears she will damage it. some sort of mind block. Its me who is been insisting on a new car, esp an AMT for ease in daily grinds. When she test drove the tiago, she found it to be much larger and was not confident apart from the price difference of close to 1.7L. Given the old alto has no abs, airbags, ebd, or any electronic safely, the spresso would relatively fare better in comparison on safety. Not sure on the structural difference, spresso is based on some heartech platform which some have critised. Given that the car would be mainly used in bangalore for commuting, hope i am not wrong in my conclusion of spresso begin safer then the old alto. Kwid she was comfortable with the size and liked the car. But online reviews and even tbhp pointed towards spresso over kwid mainly for that engine, and we did feel the same during test drive, so settled with spresso (with a bit of my insistence)
Quote:
Yes you can. Simply ask them not to install the switch but to tap the wire into the ECU / ACC fuse in the engine bay fuse box using a fuse tap. Fuse taps are available pretty cheap on Amazon.in and you can very much do this yourself. You can ask them to just install the DRL in the bumper (I think it needs cutting/removal of a cap) and tie the wires into the engine bay besides battery. You can complete the tapping later yourself.
Will check with them. Not sure if they will site warrenty issues and do it how its advised. Else like you suggested, DIY option is always there.

Quote:
Yes that Philips unit is very robust and a friend has also installed it on his Punto Evo. The 3rd wire is what does the trick to dim/turn off when headlights are turned on.

This particular SPresso accessory indeed is a basic one with switch. Its custom made with shape for the SPresso bumper cut-out. Using a switch really is silly for the price point though. I'm not sure if it has the auto-dim/third wire capability. I hope it doesn't stay ON in full intensity even when headlamps are turned on.
They are charging 13k for some accessories including the DRL, chrome garnish and some nick-nacks. Did not know about he philip, let me explore. The spresso DRLs switch of when the headlight is turned on. Also they have some flasher option, were they tend to flash together like hazard light.

Quote:
That was a line of thought but moving to K10 from Alto did appeal much where spresso comfort due to tall body design, better gc, black interiors, ICE, etc looked more appealing. It does look odd and hope slowly we get used to it. Thats where the thought of accessories came in to make the ugly duckling not so ugly. Once inside the car, it does not feel that bad. We both liked the interiors, But i do feel the old alto had slightly better plastic quality.
Old 10th February 2020, 20:30   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations and good choice of color, makes the car look mature (if I can term it that).

Quote:
I've read somewhere on this thread that the LED DRLs cost INR 9k? Do you think it is worth spending that money on something as unimportant as DRLs for city usage?

Quote:
* we were thinking about alloys wheels just to try and elevate the aesthetics on which the car is short charged. Do alloys make sense for a small car? what are the basis brands i can check? Any particular place/shop in Bangalore to check? how much do they approximately cost? MGA has only one design and is asking 7k per alloys.
If I were you, I would skip the alloys, instead, remove the wheel caps and replace the stock tyres for wider rubber. Aesthetically, this will look very good IMO.

Quote:
* Basic accessories like rain shade for the door, door protectors, false plastic skid plates, and a lot of other such accessories are offered by MGI. Does it make sense to go for some of them, or will it be economical to get aftermarket brands from outside? If yes, where in Bangalore can i look for Spresso accessories?
My suggestion is to only go for the door protectors and skid plates (if you really want it that is). Rest of the accessories are pretty useless. I think you should keep a grey-black theme going which will look good IMO. Please don't go the "chrome" way.

Quote:
* we were also thinking of a seat cover, but all maruti has is too busy designs and only monochrome tones. Any places outside to look for basic plain but decent quality seat covers?
Lot of stores outside where you will get better designs with cheaper prices. I know G-Sport for one.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 17:24   #821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations and good choice of color, makes the car look mature (if I can term it that).
Thanks! And yes, the thought behind dark grey was to make it look subtle (difficult i know with those proportions).

Quote:
I've read somewhere on this thread that the LED DRLs cost INR 9k? Do you think it is worth spending that money on something as unimportant as DRLs for city usage?
Yes, option for just the DRLs cost about 9K and in a package of 13k they throw in some more of those plastic trims. Expensive for sure. I was thinking of putting in fog lights, but the cutout is oblong and made for OEM DRL. Also i was not sure if making electrical mods outside would cause warranty issues.

Quote:
If I were you, I would skip the alloys, instead, remove the wheel caps and replace the stock tyres for wider rubber. Aesthetically, this will look very good IMO.
Makes sense! I will skip alloy to begin with and the car comes with a silver colour wheel cap/cover, which i will get it painted to black to match the colour of the metal wheel rim. Can explore possibility of wider rubber later.

Quote:
My suggestion is to only go for the door protectors and skid plates (if you really want it that is). Rest of the accessories are pretty useless. I think you should keep a grey-black theme going which will look good IMO. Please don't go the "chrome" way.
Black and dark grey theme sounds interesting. will keep that in mind.
Old 11th February 2020, 17:26   #822
BHPian

Went to the dealership last week for booking an Alto K10 automatic for wife, but was told no more of that. Test drove the S-Presso AMT on the busy Bannerghatta road and was impressed with the crawl mode in the bumper-to-bumper traffic. Braking was good and so was the turning radius as I had to do a sharp U-turn.

The biggest selling point for her was the bonnet which was clearly visible from the driver/passenger seat. The driver seat though not adjustable is at a good height for short drivers, so the road visibility was impressive.

We were debating between Kwid and S-Presso, but since the criteria for her (who is the first time driver) was the road visibility, we dropped Kwid.

Booked the Sizzle Orange VXI+ AMT, the color choice is her's entirely so stop giving me that look .

Any suggestions/recommendations on the insurance ? As expected they are pushing for the Maruti insurance which is close to 20K per year, I am more keen on taking it elsewhere.
aquarian1502 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 12:25   #823
Senior - BHPian

One more doubt for the experts here.

The horn button round plate on the spresso is placed in the center of the steering wheel, where it becomes difficult to reach, especially if one is coming from old Alto where the horn is easily accessible with thumb while holding the steering. On Spresso, like most modern car, one has to almost remove one hand from the steering wheel to press horn button. Is there solution to this issue? Anything available in market to make the horm button more accessible/closer to thumb while naturally holding the steering? Any DIY/jugaad? Wonder why these basic ergonomics are not taken care of.
Old 12th February 2020, 12:49   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian1502 View Post
Any suggestions/recommendations on the insurance ? As expected they are pushing for the Maruti insurance which is close to 20K per year, I am more keen on taking it elsewhere.
My Honda City Insurance for a new car was around 23K, so its irrational for Spresso insurance to be that high. Obtain your insurance from outside from Policybazaar etc, and you will be pleasantly surprised at the neat packet you stand to save.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:17   #825
BANNED

A review from South Africa - a target market of S-Presso: https://www.timeslive.co.za/motoring...-a-cheap-shot/

"Visually the newcomer has a polarising effect — you’ll either find it cute or not so charming.
The little motor breathes freely and with a curb weight of 750kg it doesn't struggle to carry its weight. The S-Presso moves with respectable enthusiasm. Seating for the front occupants can feel slightly awkward. Given the lack of height adjustment, a propped-up, lifted effect is the default.

The upside of this set-up is ample room for rear occupants. Even taller folk will appreciate the space. Driving the vehicle in India, where road conditions and other obstacles act as natural speed limits, we were able to push the S-Presso over the 100km/h threshold and it remained composed throughout. With two airbags, anti-lock brakes and electronic brake-force distribution, the bare essentials are covered. But since a crash-test evaluation is yet to be conducted, this is one aspect of the S-Presso that hangs in the air."

BTW, in the image: cow and cash cow
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-unnamed.jpg

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th February 2020 at 13:40.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks