Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 14:30   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

They have done a decent job with the interior. Exterior is the love child of Ignis and KUV - Totally ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Some pointers from the pictures, that have been released:

1. No rear wash-wipe on any of the variants.
2. No alloy wheels (but wheel covers).
3. Front power window switches seem to be placed on the dash, next to the hazard switch.
4. No rear power windows, but old school roll down ones.
5. Fixed head rests all across.
6. Pull type door flaps.
That shows it will be priced aggressively.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 14:36   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Some pointers from the pictures, that have been released:

1. No rear wash-wipe on any of the variants.
2. No alloy wheels (but wheel covers).
3. Front power window switches seem to be placed on the dash, next to the hazard switch.
4. No rear power windows, but old school roll down ones.
5. Fixed head rests all across.
6. Pull type door flaps.
7.No powered ORVMs.
8.No Fog lamps
9.No bottle holders in rear door. This means door pad would be THIN.
Old 25th September 2019, 14:54   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
I don't think this car is going to work for MS.
Irrespective of anything, Indians do care about the design of their vehicles. One of the reasons, why some of the MS cars have failed in the Indian market. The Ignis is a clear example. Moreover, I've seen plenty of consumers absolutely hating the instrument cluster being in the centre, instead I feel it will help boost the sales of WagonR which looks much better finished product compared to this be in terms of fit and finish or the overall outlook of the vehicle. The Kwid facelift's design is much better and has that feel good factor to it. The Spresso shouts economy all over & Indians don't like that.
MS should get back to the drawing board and work on it's designs, this one manufacturer seriously need a bunch of better designers. I cannot believe they're the same guys producing beautiful hatches like the Zen & first generation Swift.
I think you maybe speaking too soon. The junta this product caters to is the biggest market for car manufacturers. The Ignis isn't really the right example because it has a lot of direct/indirect competition in terms of Tiago, Santro, Brio, i10 grande, swift, which are really well-researched products. The people this car is targeted to, are going to look for nothing but more bang for their buck. Personally I don't think it's a great looking car. But will it serve the basic purpose that this category is supposed to? A big maruti-assurance yes!
Old 25th September 2019, 15:47   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I think you maybe speaking too soon. The junta this product caters to is the biggest market for car manufacturers. The Ignis isn't really the right example because it has a lot of direct/indirect competition in terms of Tiago, Santro, Brio, i10 grande, swift, which are really well-researched products. The people this car is targeted to, are going to look for nothing but more bang for their buck. Personally I don't think it's a great looking car. But will it serve the basic purpose that this category is supposed to? A big maruti-assurance yes!
Maybe but as per the recent sales trend I feel a lot of these first time buyers now are not that inclined towards the A Segment unless they're offered something extremely interesting. Also, as per what I've noticed a lot of these buyers are spending a little more and buying vehicles from the segment above like going in for Tiago, WagonR, Santro and the likes basically not compromising on petty things as at the end, in India, people still takes cars as status symbol. I could be wrong but this what I've noticed among a lot of buyers. The Redigo did some decent sales only because of it's quirky design and the same goes for the Kwid. The design of SPresso might be accepted because of that quirkiness but I feel it's difficult owing to much better vehicles available for a little more and in the same segment the Kwid face-lift looks absolutely smashing. Moreover, the WagonR ticks all the right boxes in terms of practicality, hence a buyer would feel more confident paying the money for that rather than taking a risk spending on this upcoming MS.
Old 25th September 2019, 16:28   #275
BHPian

One thing is pretty evident. Most of the bits on the car look like a hasty attempt to rebadge Kwid as soon as possible. Unfortunately, they didn't anticipate the new generation of Kwid to be light years ahead!
ganadrive16 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 16:56   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
7.No powered ORVMs.
8.No Fog lamps
9.No bottle holders in rear door. This means door pad would be THIN.
10. A centre mounted instrument cluster
11. Gaudy orange interior colour. Would have loved a blue.
12. Questionable sheet metal
13. Hated the exterior looks
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 17:25   #277
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Gotta hand it to MS for making some ugly contraptions. This reminds me of the Bajaj Qute in the way it looks. All the best trying to sell this!
A.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 17:34   #278
BHPian

Seems really bare-bones. Presume this will be priced below or max on par with Alto K10. Not clear what will the value case if priced more than Alto K10.
One positive compared to the recent WagonR is that the width is lower, which should aid maneuverability. I personally am looking now to pick up an automatic car that has the least width and length, am tired of Bangalore city traffic during peak hours. Except good a/c, I dont need any other frills. Will be looking to check if this fits that requirement.

Last edited by manij : 25th September 2019 at 17:44. Reason: spelling
manij is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 19:33   #279
BHPian

For me it looks like a Toy Car. There are lot of people who likes something different or out of the box(doesn't needs to be good looking though). People are already comparing S-Presso with Ignis, Breeza and KUV100. These are cars from a segment above. That's an advantage for S-Presso. Looks like Maruti is having a winner at hand.
Old 25th September 2019, 21:34   #280
BANNED

The key question still remains unanswered:
Where is a pic of the rear with the boot closed?

Probably even Maruti guys also know that interest will get generated and degenerated at the same time!
Old 25th September 2019, 22:05   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Mini SUV S Presso revealed officially,

Attachment 1918018

Attachment 1918019
That is such a shoddily executed design! The concept and the resultant production car are poles apart. That front reminds me of a Goldfish with a tumour under it's mouth!

No design detail to hide the inherent ugliness. Thankfully the 'funkiness' has been toned down in the interiors. Albeit a central cluster never worked for the second gen Indica and was a major point of debate. That said Suzuki will accept any debate apart from this coffee cup's looks.

Last edited by shortbread : 25th September 2019 at 22:06.
Old 25th September 2019, 22:15   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
10. A centre mounted instrument cluster
11. Gaudy orange interior colour. Would have loved a blue.
12. Questionable sheet metal
13. Hated the exterior looks
14. Bicycle width tyres.
Old 25th September 2019, 22:33   #283
BHPian

The pictures of this car are graphic and disturbing. Mods please remove them.
Dieselritzer is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 22:53   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Received this Whatsapp forward yesterday and had a good laugh
Came across this post, based on spy shots of an actual production version of S-Presso that reached a (unknown) dealership. Build quality looks really poor, and so is the design - highly doubt if it would appeal to any target audience (even Alto buyers) ? If they were planning to make a Mini-crossover or, a hatchback inspired from crossovers, at least they could have gone for a slightly bigger shape and a bolder design.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th September 2019 at 08:29. Reason: Image has been posted previously on the same thread.
wheelspinner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 07:06   #285
Senior - BHPian

Looking at this, I think Maruti missed a trick or two in regards the Ignis. That car actually looks handsome (at least from the front) when compared to this abomination. Perhaps they could have moved the Ignis to the regular "Arena" category and moved the Swift or Dezire
to the Nexa category.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed