Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 18:19   #346
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

This ghastly excuse of a car makes me appreciate its rivals even more than before. Forget the Kwid, Renault has done a fantastic job with the Triber when viewed in the vein of the S-Presso. Granted it costs 1 lakh rupees more, but look at the kind of effort that has gone into that car. And then look at this matchbox.
Aaron:) is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 18:43   #347
BANNED

A quick comparison with its rivals:

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-s-presso-comparo-1.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-s-presso-comparo-2.png
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-s-presso-comparo-3.png
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-s-presso-comparo-4.png

A tight comparison given the specifications are mostly same. Also note that the difference in mileage figures between std variant and other variants. Also mileage is same for amt variants and their corresponding manual variant. Or may be some unchecked typing error.

Link

Last edited by wheelguy : 30th September 2019 at 18:48.
Old 30th September 2019, 19:57   #348
BHPian

OT: Guys, please stop bashing the car. Our fellow members may want to buy it. Please don’t make them feel ashamed. Lets be constructive, critic, and unbiased. Bashing it makes us the small one. We should appreciate the manufactures for thinking out of the box. Every one dreams of owning a SUV; sometimes, the pocket doesn’t agree. Also I don’t think that this looks like a 3rd year College project or a Jeeto.

Mods: sorry but had to say it.

Last edited by SDP : 1st October 2019 at 15:46. Reason: Minor typo
purohitanuj is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 20:33   #349
BHPian

Honestly, i find this car to be a perfect fit for an urban commuter who need that high seating position with suv ish stance which perfectly fits in a smaller budget. We are a wide set of people with different aspirations in life with different living standards and there is no harm in car manufacturers coming out with different models for different customers. No need of bashing or insulting this design as no designs in the world can satisfy 100% of humans. The design is cool to my eyes and might be not so cool for another one. Live and let live!
highwaypatrol is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:21   #350
BHPian

It is not even a question of affordability. I personally would not want to drive a big car , say a BMW or Mercedes, even if someone gave it to me free. I would sell it and buy a tiny car
What a headache to have these impractical behemoths in crowded city conditions .

It is ridiculous to see people bashing this car. Those people would never buy this car because they want to buy a product that has a particular image. No matter what maruti does they will never be satisfied.

Thankfully the market answers these critics the best. Millions of Indians have voted with their pocket books by buying the wagon R and Alto. They can berate these owners by "kitna deti hai" type comments. But that is just in the "team bhp bubble". The Real world marches on based on real life problems.

Many of us want a no nonsesnse easy to drive car, that is easy to park, easy to service and easy to buy. To us a car represents a means of mobility . We are not looking to boost our image or ego with it. There is no design that is easier to drive than a matchbox with small wheels.

I am amused by those who think that wheel size has to be bigger in every car. Why this fetish? Our old wagon R s with 13 inch wheels will take us to the moon and back. Also bigger wheels means more wheel arch intrusion into the cabin. Space is very precious in small cars. We do not have the luxury to waste it for aesthetic reasons.

These people should see the Japanese kei cars. They are marvels of design.

I personally love the looks of this car. If the size compares favourably with my wagon R ( i.e. if it is not bigger) , I will consider the Amt variant with abs and airbags. I rejected the new wagon R only because it is so big.

So, Thank you maruti for bringing in a no nonsesnse product to replace the old Wagon R. I wish you much success.

Last edited by rrnsss : 30th September 2019 at 21:28.
rrnsss is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:32   #351
BHPian

I hated the Alto generation that was launched in 2012, the older generation was much better looking.
Since then I stopped recommending the Alto to any friend or relative buying a new entry level car. Kwid though good looking was horrible to drive with very poor NVH and poor dealer service.
Now this seems to be a car worth considering it looks better than the Alto and is priced well.
Now eagerly waiting for the TD report.

Last edited by SDP : 1st October 2019 at 16:00. Reason: typos
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:36   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Calling this itself an SUV is a shame in itself.

Nobody is making the public ashamed, the public who will buy this car should themselves be ashamed.

I buy it with my hard earned money. I pay my taxes, follow the rules. I do not cheat or steal to buy this car.

Can you please explain to me why I should be ashamed?

Yes. To me an upright seating position IS A FEATURE.
rrnsss is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:38   #353
Senior - BHPian

This car is probably aimed at people who find Alto to be too low. Ingress would be easy on this one. Handling is one thing that might be horrible, would love to see how good/bad it is.

While the experts here think it will fail, general public is always biased towards reliable no nonsense cars. This one had FE and decent service network too.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:51   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

"Aag laga dega, aag! "

A cheap Maruti with a stonking stereo. This is going to be their new bestseller. I'm sure of it.
Some cladding on the arches is all it needs to make it proportionate. Maruti will surely come out with that as a dealer accessory.

Last edited by SDP : 1st October 2019 at 16:02. Reason: typo
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:02   #355
BHPian

I love small cars and my work with Japanese OEMs in Japan has given me exposure to myriad of funky and boxy shapes. The designs are not good to look at, but the car is practical. I personally don't like the look of this Car, but I understand the thinking behind it. But it would be interesting to see the market reaction of the car in terms of sales.
In today's market, stuff wouldn't just sell because it's a Suzuki.In that case Maruti would not have been 30% down on sales every month. So, let the sales figures decide the success of the design.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:03   #356
BHPian

Have put the alarm for an early morning start. Will get up and have an espresso.

It shall cost me 5 lakhs? No ways! Let me try finding the matchbox to lit up the stove to make one by myself.

Sitting in the balcony, reading the news-paper and watching the Wagon R been parked downstairs.

People sticking some plastics on the wagon to protest against stupidity shown by car companies. I wonder why?

Meanwhile my kid has just done with drawing his first car with an orange crayon.

Time for another day, another Maruti. So what if it makes no sense, it shall bring in the money!

Last edited by VWAllstar : 30th September 2019 at 22:05.
VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:05   #357
BHPian

I personally like it for its smaller turning radius (4.5m) and low width (1520mm, very few cars have lower width).

Since kerb weight itself is lesser than 730 kg, I was thinking the sheet metal of the front panels would be very thin and done-in if pressed against. And then I see Varun Dhawan jumping on it in the TVC - will it be strong enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-varundhawan-sitting-espresso-car-30sep2019.jpg  

manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:05   #358
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Meanwhile Tata Motors, "Please buy my cars man, they're made like tanks! "
Meanwhile people, "No matter what, most of us won't buy your cars because you are Tata".
Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
OT: Guys, please stop bashing the car. Our fellow members may want to but it. Please don’t make them feel ashamed. Lets be constructive, critic, and unbiased. Bashing it makes us the small one. We should appreciate the manufactures for thinking out of the box. Every one dreams of owning a SUV; sometimes, the pocket doesn’t agree. Also I don’t think that this looks like a 3rd year College project or a Jeeto.

Mods: sorry but had to say it.
Appreciate your thoughts. Will they be the same in case of other manufacturers, will Tata Motors ever enjoy constructive criticism, to be honest it is the most bashed brand over here.

Got to disagree with the thinking out of the box part, this attempt by Maruti is not at all thinking out of the box. Maruti in fact always tries to be conservative, look at the concept they showed and look at what they brought to production lines. It is Renault who went out of box and introduced never before seen design in India in the entry segment, Maruti is just following the trend to retain its volume, their decision to introduce this is purely driven by numbers but not to give something better to the buyers! Here's an excerpt from an interview with Shashank Srivastava wherein he talks about the premise behind this launch:
Quote:
Essentially in passenger vehicles, we have three categories – A, B and C. The A category is the passenger car, which is the hatchback and sedan. C is the van-type of vehicles like the Omni and Eeco. B is the MUV category, which has two segments – SUVs and MPVs. Five years ago, the B segment used to be around 20 or 21 percent but now contributes to almost 30 percent. This means the growth rate in this segment is much higher than the other segments; in FY2020's first quarter, where industry de-grew almost 18-19 percent, MPVs and SUVs de-grew by almost 8-9 percent and the A and C segments de-grew by almost 26 percent. When it grew, it grew the fastest and when it de-grew, it was the slowest. So this segment has one of the highest consumer interest.
It is Tata who daringly went out of the box and introduced Nexon design where as Maruti stood with tried and tested SUV design with Brezza. Premier tried and failed with Rio, later Ford came with Ecosport and established the segment, then Maruti brought the Vitara Brezza. Maruti folks are conservative folks, out of box is out of their box. This launch is just to the plug the gaps and retain their turf in market share. We can appreciate VW, Ford, and Tata for giving us better built cars, but can we ever appreciate a company which never cares about giving us cars with solid build?

Last edited by wheelguy : 30th September 2019 at 22:12.
wheelguy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:16   #359
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post

Meanwhile Tata Motors, "Please buy my cars man, they're made like tanks! "

As a Tata owner I completely agree, it does have the same QC as an world war 2 era tank. It is probably easier to get a tank than to go through the headache of buying their car.
giri1.8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 22:54   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Will they be the same in case of other manufacturers, will Tata Motors ever enjoy constructive criticism, to be honest it is the most bashed brand over here.
Sure. I own Mahindra and always want Indian brands to grow. So much, that I recommend Hexa to anyone looking into an SUV segment. Have always loved Tata ( so much that called a Sumo for a test drive at my place). Did not care what neighbours would think then, nor do I today. That said, it is a fact that the growth shown by Tata and Mahindra is due to the fierce competition by International players.

To sum it all, I think SPresso would be a hit for any fresher who has recently joined. It ticks all the boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Calling this itself an SUV is a shame in itself.
And it looks worse than a jeeto. Whats the purpose of a kwid then? Wasn't that inspired by SUV?
Nobody is making the public ashamed, the public who will buy this car should themselves be ashamed. And what exactly out of box thinking is it? There is nothing new, its only launched for the sake of competing with the kwid. And more funny is the feature list in the brochure. Things like "high seating position for a commanding view" and "crash safety compliance" is it an equipment?
Sir,
I am not against Kwid. Just that “features” is subjective. For someone buying a Phantom, “a starry roof” is a feature. If that can be, then why not “high seating position”? Also, I strongly disagree with your tone while saying “ the public who will buy this car should themselves be ashamed“. Why should anyone be ashamed of buying this car? I love diesel cars and I should be ashamed of that. Right? For someone, a Nano might be a dream. Not everyone is as lucky as you sound. Peace.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th September 2019 at 23:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
purohitanuj is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed