Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 10:19   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

I surely like the S-Presso. Maruti could have come out with few more cheerful colors like Neon Green or Yellow.

I think the seats of S presso should be higher than Wagon-R, and hence would be really good car for Senior Citizens.

Why is the fuss about power window buttons places on dashboard? they are surely ergonomically placed.

This car will look much better with Alloys and maybe 175 profile tyres.
Maruti has done really good by providing 14 inch wheels on this.

SUV look is trending, and hence this is going to cannibalize sales of Celerio for sure.
Old 1st October 2019, 10:22   #377

The facelifted Kwid climber will be offering much better stance, aesthetics and features ( rear power windows, reverse parking camera, tachometer). If after sales service is not considered, Kwid offers a lot more.
Old 1st October 2019, 10:34   #378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Must have been a complex process for MSIL to design this car. Phew.
Well, from Mahindra Jeeto to Lego to a kid's drawing - everything has been compared to the S-Presso. But I believe they quite simply wanted a cheaper Brezza.

Just three modifications in Photoshop for the Brezza - 1. Painted portion below fog lamps to black. 2. Highlighted tooth which is black in Brezza 3. Painted chrome bar in body colour. Crude, I know - sorry for that - but hope the point is clear! The design elements including that grinning teeth is very much from the Brezza. This was supposed to be a baby Brezza for sure.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-untitled.png

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-spresso.png

IMHO - Maruti probably missed the trick in dimensions, and also in making the S-Presso curvier instead of boxy. Or probably the bean counters won over the designers! Anyways - while Brezza ended up neutral and inoffensive, this one seems to have gone the totally opposite way.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st October 2019 at 10:36.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 10:57   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A lot of new Marutis are good looking (Dzire, Swift, Ciaz etc.). Even the new Ertiga isn't bad for a people-mover van.
...<snip>...
Beg to disagree here, this is not meant to berate/belittle the owner/members but have never felt any aesthetic appeal with most of Maruti/Suzuki products, except:
  • Old jelly-bean Zen; owned this once, and was a delightful car to drive & look at
  • Ciaz (probably "inspired" by Honda City !?)
  • Gypsy
  • To some extent... the flopped Kizashi
No offense to forum member-owners; in fact, have felt visually offended seeing most of their other hugely popular ones like Swift, Ritz, Eeco, Ignis, Brezza, S-Cross, now this new one S-presso (the list goes on...).

Guess they need a lesson or two on the golden-ratio/phi/Fibonacci sequence etc.! Case in point, the oddly placed speedo/RPM meter or whatever on the Ritz's dash, what was that !?

But then, if the target audience M/S had in mind were/are happy with their products, who am I to criticise them!? Just that, it's not my cup of tea...

Wishing the owners/prospective owners well in their choices!
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:30   #380
BHPian

What an ugly looking car. Do we have a shortage of designers in India. How do we consistently bring such bad designs to the market and how does the management approve them. When a three decade old Maruti 800 looks much better,how is it that the designers with so much modern design software at their disposal is unable to design a well proportioned and good looking car.
live2dream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 12:09   #381
BHPian

I am speechless.The thing looks hideous in the walkaound videos. I am not very optimistic about seeing it in flesh either. Such jugaad styling, borrowing cues from it's stable mates- Tail lamp cluster from the swift, face from the Brezza, Dash elements from the Ignis and Alto etc.

I had a nightmare last night that this car is going to do 20K/month and cement Suzuki's perception of us that we deserve products like desiccated Brezzas and butt-jobbed Swifts.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 12:12   #382
BHPian

I feel the car doesn't look great as it is but with some after market accessories like rubber cladding, contrasting roof, alloys, fatter tyres etc the car can a decent looker.

The car is surprisingly well priced very well considering the Santro is so much more expensive for the same class of engine.

Not sure why people are comparing the top end car with the base model of the Tiago which lacks something as basic as a music system while the top end S presso has an Android Auto touchscreen infotainment system. Add another 25k to the Tiago if you want touch screen infotainment system.

The Santro with all the discounts running is a much closer match for the Spresso and if I had to personally choose between the Santro and the S presso I feel the Santro is much better VFM considering (supposedly) stronger body, much better design (IMO) and a 4 cylinder engine vs 3 cylinder. With discounts the Sportz model is quite similarly priced to the Spresso VXI+
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 12:57   #383
BHPian

On a lighter note and slightly off topic:

Eon to Hyundai: Was I a joke to you. Why did you discontinue me?

Small cars can be designed (interior and exterior)to look elegant and this was rightly proven by Eon. It was like a fresh air in the small car market when it was launched.
Alas! Hyundai was too lazy to update it to compete with Altos and Kwids.

Maruti started in the right direction but lost their way somewhere between while designing this car. They could have made it look a bit more boxier like gypsy, it would have satisfied enthusiasts like us also.
Old 1st October 2019, 13:11   #384
BHPian

With past couple of launches of Triber, S-Presso and Kwid facelift, IMHO, Renault has most sorted looks and caters to the demand of customers with two products.

If this car did not have MS name, it would be forgotten by the end of next year.
If Kwid and Triber belonged to MS, it would have been an overnight success.

From buyer perspective to OEMs, We want Kwid like face, Triber like space, agility of 1.2L engine and reliability of MS. If such happens sooner than later, let’s finalise the deal.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 13:42   #385
BHPian

BTW, this is how you design a Mini SUV/ Crossover

Shots fired from Renault, what a timing !! They waited for Maruti to do their launch, then they come out all guns blazing to blow away their coffee !
Sk8r is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 13:52   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
BTW, this is how you design a Mini SUV/ Crossover

Shots fired from Renault, what a timing !!
The 1.0 is priced on the higher side than the S-Presso which comes only with a 1L engine option. Worth it IMHO - but the market may think otherwise - especially those who buy the lower variants as compared to the Kwid 800cc engine.

Renault Kwid STD - Rs. 2,83,290
Renault Kwid 0.8L RXE - Rs. 3,53,290

S-Presso Std - Rs. 3,69,000
Renault Kwid 0.8L RXL - Rs. 3,83,290

S-Presso LXi - Rs. 4,05,000
Renault Kwid 0.8L RXT - Rs. 4,13,290

S-Presso VXi - Rs. 4,24,500
Renault Kwid 1.0L RXT - Rs. 4,33,290

S-Presso VXI+ - Rs. 4,48,000
Renault Kwid 1.0L Climber - Rs. 4,54,490

S-Presso VXi AGS - Rs. 4,67,500
Renault Kwid 1.0L RXT AMT - Rs. 4,63,290

Renault Kwid 1.0L Climber AMT - Rs. 4,84,490
S-Presso VXi+ AGS - Rs. 4,91,000

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st October 2019 at 14:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 14:00   #387
BHPian

I think Suzuki has named the car appropriately as S-Presso.
They just could have saved few more bucks by not placing the name logo. The customers themselves would find its name by following technique :

1. Select any one of Suzuki 'S' logo either in front or back.
2 'Press' it softly using your little fingers only and see the bumpers caving in. (Any further force would render the car a total loss by insurance company)
3. Check expressions on customers face who are sighing 'O' hhh after looking at the results.

S-PressOhhhh

I feel better option is to look for a good used car with safety features.

We feel that Renaults, Volkswagen, Skoda, Ford, Tatas, etc. aren't committed enough to our market. They atleast try to launch newer and safer products which are comparable to what they launch elsewhere.

But looking at recent launches from Maruti like Ignis and S-Presso we should start questioning Maruti about its commitments for India.
DrCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 14:04   #388
Senior - BHPian

Top end model with those simple Alloys looks good IMHO. I liked what I see in photo. Waiting to see this car in person. About interiors, I am odd man out here, I actually liked it for a budget car. Looks funky enough and will attract young crowd I guess. Pricing is spot on as well. Will be a very good city commuter for sure. I am disappointed with mileage figures though, expecting 2-3 kmpl more as its a small, light weight car.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 14:31   #389
Senior - BHPian

It's not as if Suzuki cannot do decent design. The Kizashi, Jiminy and to a lesser extent Brezza or even the new top hat on the older Vitara platform sold globally etc shows that when they put their mind to it Suzuki can do decent design.

The issue is they do not think the Indian market is worth the effort. S'presso is primarily an India only product and as far as Suzuki is concerned that design is 'good enough'! The country is a cash cow and the plan has always been cheap design, light build and low price. The S'presso is simply a result of Suzuki's coherence towards the Indian consumer and they know it will sell by the bucket-loads irrespective of how poorly it's been designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Worth it IMHO - but the market may think otherwise - especially those who buy the lower variants as compared to the Kwid 800cc engine.
I think most Maruti bakths going for the lower variants the Kwid is not even a consideration, irrespective of the value or package Renault provides.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 14:59   #390
BHPian

Not sure why there is this much hate for S-Presso. It may be light weight car and the design may not impress many (Designs are subjects to own interest). But it is a practical car, Easy to maintain, Pocket friendly with ABS,EBD and driver Airbag is standard, This would outsell Kwid in future. Quick comparison with its rivals,
1) Kwid / Redi-Go : Renault/Nissan/Datsun after sales service is still a Hit/Miss and it has a weak service network in urban area.
2) Tiago : It is a solid car but TATA is still not out of the niggles in their product. There are owners of Tiago to Harrier who are reporting issues/niggles even now.
3) Santro : Good city car and rival to s-presso but not that pocket friendly and not great in mileage when compared with S-Presso.
ash22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed