Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 15:00   #391
BANNED

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It's not as if Suzuki cannot do decent design. The Kizashi, Jiminy and to a lesser extent Brezza or even the new top hat on the older Vitara platform sold globally etc shows that when they put their mind to it Suzuki can do decent design.

The issue is they do not think the Indian market is worth the effort. S'presso is primarily an India only product and as far as Suzuki is concerned that design is 'good enough'! The country is a cash cow and the plan has always been cheap design, light build and low price. The S'presso is simply a result of Suzuki's coherence towards the Indian consumer and they know it will sell by the bucket-loads irrespective of how poorly it's been designed.
+1 to that.

Exactly, despite India being their cash cow, they think that India doesn't deserve better cars, it's not that they can't give us better cars, it's that they don't want to give us better cars. Heck, they are providing much better cars in markets which are comparatively lesser profitable just because those markets are held in high-regards in their books. For this, they have to be bashed to the core, they should learn to respect the market which is helping them sustain.

Given our market's love towards their a.s.s and no-nonsense cars, we are being taken for a ride by Suzuki.

Suzuki should stop holding India in low-regards, if not for the Indian market they might not have survived all these years.

Last edited by wheelguy : 1st October 2019 at 15:10.
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 15:06   #392
BHPian

I mean what is wrong with Maruti marketing execs. I mean just about a year ago Varun dhawan was jumping around the KUV 100 with a lucky ali song running in the background.
We all know what great numbers the KUV sold.. I mean do they think consumers have such a bad memory .I mean the ad has almost the same theme for a car which i guess is targeted at almost the same customer.
Hemicuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 15:27   #393
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki launched Kizashi in India, people dumped it saying "cheap" MS brand does not qualify to ask for a million + Bucks. MS learnt from it, kept launching hideous cars one after the other and we kept lapping it up in huge numbers. S cross was understated but clean and beautiful - it failed. Re-launched with buck toothed fascia and started selling again. It's a tried and tested formula. MS is just carrying it forward (perhaps for too long now, but they need to taste failure first to change. And this is not going to happen in near future).

One more thing - in mass market segments, esp in smaller cities and towns, regular middle class people prefer understated looks - Kahin nazar na lag jae, too much luxury looking car will attract goons and thieves, and many more such reasons. For the customers at large, who value money more than our life, MS is a tremendous value for money in the lower segments.

Having said that, this one really is taking the game too far. I will presonally take offence if this is also called an SUV (for me, the cheapest SUV in India is Duster AWD. Already this term has been abused enough by cars like Venue, WRV, Freestyle, Tiago NRG, CelerioX )

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 1st October 2019 at 15:32.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 15:32   #394
KMT
BHPian

Manindra is getting a taste of its own medicine.

After copying the Jeep grill for years, now MSIL is copying their grill design on the Spresso.

As they say, I guess imitation is the best form of flattery.
Old 1st October 2019, 15:42   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Clash of the 'Mini-SUV's, in coming months will know the leader in this segment,

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-efyotcjuuaafidr.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 15:42   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda View Post
I mean what is wrong with Maruti marketing execs. I mean just about a year ago Varun dhawan was jumping around the KUV 100 with a lucky ali song running in the background.
We all know what great numbers the KUV sold.. I mean do they think consumers have such a bad memory .I mean the ad has almost the same theme for a car which i guess is targeted at almost the same customer.
If the brand ambassador cannot be loyal then how come the normal customers be?

No one remembers KUV and soon no one shall remember S Presso.
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 16:21   #397
BHPian

You have to hand it Maruti to make one of the ugliest cars in recent times.

Don't they show these things to a Customer Panel or a Clinic?

Maybe hubris gets the better of Maruti. To be fair, Datsun Redigo looks the best in this segment.

Having put my POV across, it is a foregone conclusion this bad boy will sell the most in the segment.
laser2707 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 16:23   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Not sure why there is this much hate for S-Presso. It may be light weight car and the design may not impress many (Designs are subjects to own interest). But it is a practical car, Easy to maintain, Pocket friendly with ABS,EBD and driver Airbag is standard, This would outsell Kwid in future. Quick comparison with its rivals,
1) Kwid / Redi-Go : Renault/Nissan/Datsun after sales service is still a Hit/Miss and it has a weak service network in urban area.
2) Tiago : It is a solid car but TATA is still not out of the niggles in their product. There are owners of Tiago to Harrier who are reporting issues/niggles even now.
3) Santro : Good city car and rival to s-presso but not that pocket friendly and not great in mileage when compared with S-Presso.
Mate - first of all, Santro and Tiago aren't this contraption's (no I cant call it a car) rivals. The sheer thought of comparing them itself screams that the S-Presso is overpriced! Just the price is comparable.
Evidently in your comparison - not a single CAR FEATURE actually appears to make the case of the S-Presso. All peripherals.

If you don't care if the car is light enough to topple with a gust of wind, that's your choice really. I wonder why no other renowned car makers from the US, EU etc make cars that are so light? Perhaps it has something to do with longevity & safety? (For reference - this car weighs just about 4 Royal Enfield Bullets!!!)

I have owned 2 Marutis. And the service quality, "no niggles" is a huge myth. Get over it.

The airbag, ABS EBD that you mentioned as being standard is no kindness from Maruti. These are only standard because the government has mandated these for the sake of our safety now. Give a choice and Maruti will sell cars made of coffee-cup paper with a rain coat as sun-roof.

Looks - yes they are subjective. But then Maruti has really made it tough to find someone who has liked it so far. I'll post as soon as I meet someone who liked the looks overall as a package.

Just compare the pricing & spec sheet of the Kwid with S-Presso man. With a truck load more, the KWID Climber (including alloy wheels!) top trim undercuts the SPresso.

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st October 2019 at 16:28.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:25   #399
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
the public who will buy this car should themselves be ashamed
Let's please not use this condescending tone on Team-BHP. Last I checked, we live in a free country and have a right to our choices. Mutual respect is one of the pillars of this community and we welcome all car owners...no matter whether they own a Nano, S-Class or a Standard Herald.

So please, let us keep our criticism towards any car objective and not stoop to such levels in our posts. Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:39   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Just compare the pricing & spec sheet of the Kwid with S-Presso man. With a truck load more, the KWID Climber (including alloy wheels!) top trim undercuts the SPresso.
But it still doesn't sell and it won't. Car is good [Kwid], engine is not as refined as a Maruti or Hyundai. Service is expensive [by a lot], you are forced to take insurance [at close to twice the premium offered independently] from the dealer, else they won't provide you insurance cover.

An enthusiast knows all these traits and tricks, he won't budge, but what would you do, if the manufacturer doesn't co-operate or the dealer. You walk into the other showroom.

For petrol cars, Maruti still has the cheapest service.

Not a MS fan here, so please spare your brickbats.

But this is the sad reality of how-ever [good/competent] a particular product is, the manufacturer for its own [short-lived] greed destroys the other experience. Buying is a one time affair, other aspects of owning a car is where MUL/Toyota triumphs others and going by how things stand today, it will continue to.

I don't think the formula adopted by MUL is a rocket science for its service & sales experience, others don't/can't live unto it. Ultimately, its their loss. None of the product by MUL trumps over any other similar product [maybe, save for Swift in petrol avatar and that too in FTD factor *ONLY*], so their formula for success is for everyone to see.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:41   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics:

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0039.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0030.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0029.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0048.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0028.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0043.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0042.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0041.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0040.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0047.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0027.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0046.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0026.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0045.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0044.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0050.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0049.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0038.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0037.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0054.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0034.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0053.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0052.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0032.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0031.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0057.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0056.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0036.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0055.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0035.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:42   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Mate - first of all, Santro and Tiago aren't this contraption's (no I cant call it a car) rivals. The sheer thought of comparing them itself screams that the S-Presso is overpriced! Just the price is comparable.
Evidently in your comparison - not a single CAR FEATURE actually appears to make the case of the S-Presso. All peripherals.

If you don't care if the car is light enough to topple with a gust of wind, that's your choice really. I wonder why no other renowned car makers from the US, EU etc make cars that are so light? Perhaps it has something to do with longevity & safety? (For reference - this car weighs just about 4 Royal Enfield Bullets!!!)

I have owned 2 Marutis. And the service quality, "no niggles" is a huge myth. Get over it.

The airbag, ABS EBD that you mentioned as being standard is no kindness from Maruti. These are only standard because the government has mandated these for the sake of our safety now. Give a choice and Maruti will sell cars made of coffee-cup paper with a rain coat as sun-roof.

Looks - yes they are subjective. But then Maruti has really made it tough to find someone who has liked it so far. I'll post as soon as I meet someone who liked the looks overall as a package.
Buddy, calm down. I understand you don't like this "thing" that Suzuki launched. Trust me I feel the same way about the looks of this "thing".
I have owned Hyundai ( the best Car maker in India as per me) and Toyota in Japan. Niggle is a part and parcel of every ownership. And just for your information, Daihatsu and Honda make even lighter cars then Suzuki in Japan. These light cars are driven on highways and do not blow away with a gust of wind.
I see from your garage you have owned two of the cheapest Cars in Maruti stable, the Alto and Omni which are hardly the shining beacon of Maruti quality.
Buyer is the king and will seperate the wheat from the chaff. Cheers!!
Carma2017 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:52   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Some pics:
Did he pull that off? So guess we will be seeing many cars with it's tooth missing.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191001wa0035.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 17:58   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Yes, the car does look strange. And this would need an immediate wheel upgrade in form of alloys and wider tyres. That would definitely change its stance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The tyres look puny and very thin, and a wheel upgrade may change its stance completely. But when I look at it as a city car, it might be good as a replacement for my Wagon R! The new Wagon R is wider than earlier (but has that gem of an engine 1.2L K series). This one aspect of width can be a deal breaker in tier 3 cities with narrow lanes and bylanes. This can be a good city round about for people looking at only a city car.
Quoting my earlier posts for this car. This could become our city car provided it passes the city test after I drive it. My only grouse was the thin skinny tyres. And with optional alloys, I guess it solves the problem.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190930140326__01__01.jpg
This is what I would like to have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

For petrol cars, Maruti still has the cheapest service.

Buying is a one time affair, other aspects of owning a car is where MUL/Toyota triumphs others and going by how things stand today, it will continue to.
True. My cousin's i20 had a broken door opener on rear. He was quoted different rates and time frames by 3 dealers. Eventually, it was fixed for about 1/3rd price quoted at other centers. Similarly for his car AC. Hyundai is a pain when it comes to service.

Quote:
Some pics:
Thanks for the pics. The engine bay looks like that it can accommodate even a 1.2L engine.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 18:01   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Some pics:
Not a fan of the quirky looks, looks like a compressed TUV from the front.

Dash in the centre console looks weird to me.

Looks spacious (for the segment) but with facelifted kwid launching I dont see much hope for this. But been a maruti maybe it would sell for the after sales experience.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed