Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 18:02   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Yes, the car does look strange. And this would need an immediate wheel upgrade in form of alloys and wider tyres. That would definitely change its stance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The tyres look puny and very thin, and a wheel upgrade may change its stance completely. But when I look at it as a city car, it might be good as a replacement for my Wagon R! The new Wagon R is wider than earlier (but has that gem of an engine 1.2L K series). This one aspect of width can be a deal breaker in tier 3 cities with narrow lanes and bylanes. This can be a good city round about for people looking at only a city car.
Quoting my earlier posts for this car. This could become our city car provided it passes the city test after I drive it. My only grouse was the thin skinny tyres. And with optional alloys, I guess it solves the problem.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190930140326__01__01.jpg
This is what I would like to have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

For petrol cars, Maruti still has the cheapest service.

Buying is a one time affair, other aspects of owning a car is where MUL/Toyota triumphs others and going by how things stand today, it will continue to.
True. My cousin's i20 had a broken door opener on rear. He was quoted different rates and time frames by 3 dealers. Eventually, it was fixed for about 1/3rd price quoted at other centers. Similarly for his car AC. Hyundai is a pain when it comes to service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Some pics:
Thanks for the pics. The engine bay looks like that it can accommodate even a 1.2L engine.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-screenshot_20191001180231__01.jpg
These DRLs look like the ones from Philips which I have used in my Brezza although the fit and finish is better in mine.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-pixlr_20190822082814718.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-pixlr_20190822082849355.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 1st October 2019 at 18:06.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 18:46   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
I see from your garage you have owned two of the cheapest Cars in Maruti stable, the Alto and Omni which are hardly the shining beacon of Maruti quality.
I didn't quite get the point here honestly. I am entitled to same service and niggle free experience regardless of what car I own from a maker. Tata for instance gives similar niggles from Tiago to Harrier.

Anyway - you should read my post in context of the original one to which I replied. I'm totally neutral mate. If I wasn't, I'd not have a Maruti right now. What's good is good. What isn't, isn't.

Road manners, safety and conditions in Japan and India can't be compared. So a kei car may no longer be safe enough for us on the highways. Of course the wind reference was not realistic but pointing to the fact that the Maruti cars are getting ridiculously light. Its nothing but cost cutting. As a customer we should be aware of this. Sadly even today people buy looking at the badge, not specifications sheet. Needs to change eh? My tussle is not with Maruti. It is with the fact that cars sell ONLY because its a Maruti.

Anyway, don't want to take us both in the wrong direction. Better to stay on topic. Peace. Cheers!
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 18:59   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Just noticed that this car has more width but less length than our beloved 2nd gen wagon R. It is a bit disappointing to see that it is wider by 25mm . I will take a look at it nonetheless. Old wagon R width was 1495 mm spresso is 1520 mm.
It should slot in nicely as the replacement for old WagonR , especially for cases like my household, where the path is narrow to the parking spot where the WagonR is parked. The parking spot (in the garden) has ample width, it's the path that is narrow. Thus only the WagonR or Eon can be parked there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I think the seats of S presso should be higher than Wagon-R, and hence would be really good car for Senior Citizens.

Why is the fuss about power window buttons places on dashboard? they are surely ergonomically placed.

This car will look much better with Alloys and maybe 175 profile tyres.
Maruti has done really good by providing 14 inch wheels on this.

SUV look is trending, and hence this is going to cannibalize sales of Celerio for sure.
Now a days I see more new celerio X than celerio as private registered cars. Why? because people prefer that faux suv cladding. IMO the celerio X actually looks better than the celerio in sober colors. So people should love this one too, especially when it's being marketed as a "micro suv".

Yes - properly upsized tyres and wheels should immediately have a positive effect on the stance and stability of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Did he pull that off? So guess we will be seeing many cars with it's tooth missing.

Attachment 1919513
That's an optional extra (chrome garnishing).
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 20:25   #409
BHPian

I agree it looks quirky and not impressive, But I think Maruti has launched a perfect Alto replacement for our deteriorating roads and chaotic traffic. It will serve a niche customer base with specific requirements of a small practical city car.

I prefer driving my Alto on choked Pune roads (instead of the Baleno/S-Cross). Off-course I never take it on highways. But its pure bliss and stress-free for peak hour city drives and parking where every inch of length and width matters. I was actually disappointed that the upcoming Alto will be bigger.

I found 2 shortcomings in the Alto - low ground clearance and difficult ingress/egress for senior folks. The S-Presso solves both these, while keeping the overall dimensions almost the same as the Alto (the biggest plus point of the Alto). Believe me the pathetic road conditions and mountain like speed breakers nowadays necessitate cars with better ground clearance.

Agree the Kwid looks much better, but have heard horror stories of Renault service (which I really hope improves soon with excellent products like the Triber).

Not sure how the market will react to the boxy looks, but I hope it stays afloat as its a perfect replacement to the Alto for people like me looking for super-compact cars (wish the Nano still existed!!). Just hope the pricing was a bit lower though.

PS: My personal opinions and no offence to anyone. The more the variety a consumer gets the better it is. Cheers! Peace!

Last edited by Djay : 1st October 2019 at 20:49.
Djay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 21:23   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Just went through several pages of this thread. Had to go through several pages to get a good summary of the vehicle, quite unlike a typical team-bhp thread. Looks like a lot of extreme reactions. Maybe we should follow the official review approach and drill into the pros and cons objectively from individual perspectives and lay it out for the readers.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 21:36   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

I find a lot of comparisons between the kwid 1.0 and spresso 1.0

Having driven both the engines (kwid and Celerio) for over 3 years and 70000 km, I can safely say Maruti's 1.0 is far more superior than the Renault's.

And as many bhpians have pointed out, Renault A.S.S can only dream of coming close to Maruti's A.S.S

Niggles in a Maruti product and improper service? That's new to me. I am no Maruti fan, but having owned 8 Maruti's in the last 20 years, ranging from Omni, M800 to Ciaz, I haven't had one bad experience with Maruti service.

I have also owned Chevrolet, Tata, Renault, Mahindra and Hyundai. I would rate Maruti service and after sales the best. Spresso will be a mass market hit- it is compact, fuel efficient, can seat 4, will not get stranded, a Maruti and is affordable to majority of Indian lower middle class. They don't care about snob value, image or shame. They want a vehicle that can transport them from point A to B, at the least expense. In my opinion, even many well settled families would buy it as a secondary or a tertiary beater car to escape metro traffic choas.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st October 2019 at 21:42.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 22:06   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Between the S-Presso and the facelift Kwid (the sole competition looks and dimension wise), the Kwid takes it all the way, strictly speaking of aesthetics.

Many people pooh pooh the very thought of someone considering looks when it comes to purchasing a car, trust me, when it comes to the majority of buyers it plays a big role, enthusiast or not. It is after all, something one has to look at externally for years to come.

As a car enthusiast, looks come first to me, when the looks tug at my heart strings only then I decide on the purchase based on handling, space, comfort etc.. but ultimately I want to glance at its beauty one last time after locking it.

I thought Ritz was wonky, then looking at the Ignis made me feel the Ritz was alright, but my god, this car really looks off due to its compact design and added height.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 22:46   #413
BHPian

Many of us prefer a car that was not given any thought about aesthetics rather than a car that was overstyled like the KUV100.
Old 1st October 2019, 22:53   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Many of us prefer a car that was not given any thought about aesthetics rather than a car that was overstyled like the KUV100.

Many would rather prefer to stay in the middle of the bell curve, not swinging too wildly at either extreme, too bland or too flashy. So while KUV100 remains at one end of overdone design, S Presso places itself firmly in the 'hardly any design' end.
Old 1st October 2019, 23:49   #415
BHPian

The darker shades should look good I think. On the lighter ones it will look better with some contrast accessories like door running guard etc.
Honestly speaking the car doesn't look bad in person. The new Kwid facelift looks better as its a better design overall. S Presso will cater to first time buyers as an alternative to the Alto and for people already having a larger car as a smart city car. Maruti's smaller cars have been pretty much niggle free when compared to their larger offerings. I can say this as we have had six Maruti cars in the family before I took the Tata plunge. This car has its positives and deltas and I think will make a health 3K per month. Time will tell. Also will try doing a test drive once the test drive cars are available.
busydrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:19   #416
Senior - BHPian

If only looks could kill. But then again it could give you a Heartect.

Shock and Awe seems to be Maruti strategy. No doubt the ruler buyers will lap it up in big numbers as a first time or city car
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 01:39   #417
BHPian

It actually looks pretty decent in the Granite Gray shade in this video. I think this colour masks the quirky design and gives it the most SUVish kinda look. Also the de-chromed grill actually goes well with this colour. Have to see it in flesh though.

Last edited by Djay : 2nd October 2019 at 01:41.
Djay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:14   #418
BHPian

Is Maruti planning to add a cng variant? I live in a city filled with cng stations and having used it, I love the savings compared to other fuel variants. Add a set of good shoes to this car and it will surely look handsome enough. Don't know what is the design rant about?
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:21   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
the public who will buy this car should themselves be ashamed.
I find this very offending and crude. Please explain your comment.

Is the public buying an illegal or an unethical product?
Did Suzuki steal your designs to make this car?
How do you get the rights to assault the public? I mean where do you even fit in this?
Chewbacca is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:32   #420
BHPian

The above quote from sidindica shows lack of tolerance. Cars are not purchased just for the looks. Price, value for money tag, service experience and expectations are also primary for a middle class consumer. When I purchased my first car, I could not pay extra to buy wagon R and settled for Alto. Every penny counts. I never buy on emi and hence an additional 30 to 60k was very big for me. So one must not expect others to be just like us. Even our toes don't resemble each other.

Appearance is highly subjective and should not be used to discount a car. Let's wait for the sales numbers.
Vians is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed