Old 5th October 2019, 00:28   #481
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Spotted next to real SUV
Attachment 1920350

Source: whatsapp
Egad! I wish I can un-see this. Looks like some sort of Compass-TUV300 cross. The least Maruti could've done is be original with the front grille and maybe use better plastics for the cladding surrounding the car. They're an eyesore.
Old 5th October 2019, 03:00   #482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
S-Presso with Alloy wheels
Attachment 1920349

Spotted next to real SUV
Attachment 1920350

Source: whatsapp
Hmm Jeep is like Robert Baratheon

First Mahindra, then Suzuki. I wonder how many more we will find in the wild. Do they have claim to the Iron throne..errr.. Trail?
Old 5th October 2019, 07:05   #483
BHPian

Quote:
S-Presso with Alloy wheels
Attachment 1920349
The cladding on the wheel arches helps to reduce the gap in between the wheel and the arch. Without those, there is an excessive gap and it just looks as if it is on stilts. Maybe there is a way to reduce that gap to make it sit lower. Also the chrome bits on the grill look overdone and should have been of a simpler design.
Old 5th October 2019, 09:48   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

More on S Presso possibilities,

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-2.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-4.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-6.jpg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-5.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th October 2019 at 09:51.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 11:06   #485
BHPian

Maruti is very very good in coming up with very very bad designs. At this rate there will be a tight competition between Maruti designers and Chinese designers for the No#1 spot
Old 5th October 2019, 11:19   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Media drive comments:

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-egf5dc2wsaa53oa.jpg

Quote:
S Presso on our morning run returned a Fuel Efficiency of 20.4km/l with that 1-litre K10B engine. This run was with 4-passengers, a full boot and the A/C at full blast.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 13:45   #487
BHPian

The vehicle without those wheel arches looks so very very bad. Nobody cares if we call it an SUV or not or whether it will sell etc etc. The least they shouldn't do is come out with good designs.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 15:18   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

As the old adage goes, 'you can't polish a turd!'

The irony is Suzuki knows it's made a terribly designed product. So how they resolve this is by selling accessories to customers who want to make their spressos more 'appealing'!

Whichever way you look at it, is a win-win for Suzuki. They make money from selling spressos and they also make money from selling make-up/accessory kits as well. Rest assured no espresso owner is driving it home in stock form!

Well played Suzuki.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th October 2019 at 10:26. Reason: Typo
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 17:14   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked out the Spresso today

The car looks bigger than pics would have you believe
Bonnet is a good 3.5ft high
Visibility is excellent, bonnet visible from driver's seat
Front seats provided excellent support and were very comfortable
Rear bench integrated headrests are absolutely useless
Rear legroom was very impressive- I am 6'2 and I could sit comfortably with a couple of inches space left after setting driver seat to my driving position. This is the space left in the rear bench after me seated.
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-photo-collage20191005_171958.jpg

Rear bench can easily accommodate 3 normal size adults
Wheels are awfully undersized

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-photo-collage20191005_172021.jpg

My kwid feels cramped after sitting in the Spresso.

Area where my Kwid 1.0 excels the Spresso :
Looks

Areas where Spresso excels Kwid 1.0:
Space
Maruti A.S.S
Segment first steering mounted controls
That sweet 1.0 engine
Better fuel efficiency

Top end VXI(O) retails at 5.5 lakhs OTR including insurance for 3 years.
This car ticks all the boxes for the first time car buyer. Can be a nice urban beater car too. Will definitely sell as much as alto. I also have a feeling this could steal away a lot of sales from Celerio.
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_164422210.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_164436059.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_164447577_hdr.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_163727001.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_164225030.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_163734600.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_164246935.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_163925677.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_163934461.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_164355906.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_163939597.jpg

But then, my Kwid is a beauty, more so with the facelift.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191005_1732030782.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th October 2019 at 17:36.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 20:49   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I checked out the Spresso today
Thank you!
I also checked out the S-Presso today.
  • I was told test drive car will be available by next week
  • Looks seem to be growing on me - does not look as bad as I thought it would be looking at the first pictures.
  • Body panels at the front hood seemed adequately thick to me, was really interested in checking this out since we see Varun Dhawan sitting on the bonnet in the TVC
  • Having the meters/indicators at the center (instead of in-front of the driver) did not seem to be as big a issue as I initially thought it would be - especially since the overall width is low, the space left on either side of the 'center watch dial' is not much, and can see the dial+meters without twisting the head too much - almost in peripheral vision.
  • Felt it to be really spacious for the size, with smart packaging. I sat in a K10 also today to check and the space difference was very significant - all around. I also felt more comfortable with the seat and driving position of the S-Presso than the K10.
  • To enhance looks, needs a few 'mandatory' accessories in my opinion - including (a) Back door garnish (b) window frame kit with door visor and body graphics (c) wheel arch cladding (d) door cladding.
  • I also sat in the WagonR today, which felt a little better and even more spacious than the S-Presso - it is however 100 mm wider (in my opinion - impacting its maneuverability on narrow roads across older parts of town) and the turning diameter is 0.4m higher.
  • I now want to take test drives on S-Presso, WagonR and Ignis before deciding.
manij is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 22:11   #491
Senior - BHPian

They should do something to the ill formed teeth I think Maruti has been greedy in not compressing the Brezza to the right size. Maybe its couple of sizes bigger. Couldn't they have taken the jump and given something bigger and hence cleaner than the compressed Brezza look that spoiled the exterior look ?

The problem is with competition. Maruti has been able to launch such cars since no one can match them with reach.
Old 5th October 2019, 23:37   #492
BHPian

Visited the showroom today and came out impressed.
Visibility from the drivers seat is good. Seats are placed higher and hence very good thigh support. Considering its footprint it's super spacious inside. The build doesn't seem to be tinny. The doors close with a assuring thud.

With the body kit looks are also acceptable.
The flip type door handles and lack of rear power windows were the only irritating bits I found about the car.
sunilg33 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 23:46   #493
BHPian

Let me preface this post by saying that the following views are my own and in no way mean offense to anyone. And I least expect to get into arguments. (I'm a moderator for an investing website, trust me ). At the very least, all our experiences are our own and no one can deny that.

In my view, Maruti and Hero are two companies that have played on and captured customer sentiment. They've cashed in on their early-mover advantage (a long time ago now, I know) and have been able to maintain their status quo ever since. They set up shop far and wide throughout the country. And made their service centers accessible as well. That's been their strongest point.

On the other hand, new entrants, as and when they came in, were facing these behemoths and couldn't compete even with competitive products, and in many cases superior. Localization and all. Examples being Yamaha, Kawasaki, VW, Ford, et cetera, that could never compete with Maruti on price, but their owners know how much they love their cars/bikes.

In my view, Maruti has almost always short-changed its customers, and this one's no different. The S-Presso appears a car made for the sake of making it, nothing more, just another name in the line-up. Don't get me wrong, but the first-generation Swift, Ritz and S-Cross are a few examples where they've given the market a good product at a reasonable price. And lately, Ignis and Baleno, both VFM and possess those nice peppy engines. On the other hand, their cars were costlier and less equipped (read features) than their counterparts. It's only now (read Baleno onwards) that they've stepped up their game on this front, but still a ways to go vis-a-vis Hyundai and others.

As many have stated already, while a lot of their variants appear in the list, they're really hard to find at the dealers. My personal experience: back in 2013, the sales guy tried really hard to push a Swift VDi when I had already booked a Ritz ZDi for 7.2 lacs on-road. Says something along the lines of "Airbags, ABS, defogger, rear wash & wipe are all overrated saar. How many people use them? Ritz has a booking period of 1 month and these discounts won't apply when your car arrives. Why don't you get the VDi we have in the lot now? You'll get it at the same price as the Ritz ZDi." So what did I do? I canceled the booking and bought a Ford TDCi Titanium at 6.4 lacs on-road, a Yellow display car that had run 250 kms. Sad that I had to let it go because of a bad left knee.

On the service cost front, I think it is a myth (at least from personal experience so far, especially because I don't want to get into arguments) that Maruti's service costs are lower than their competitors. Recently, I accompanied my friend to drop his Alto for a routine service at a Maruti ASC. They gave an estimate of 8.8K for a 20K-run Alto, including WA/WB. Now I've spent a total of 12K on my 2-year old 43K run Tiago XZA in 7 visits. It's due for a service at 45K kms, and the cost should be somewhere around 5-6K at the max. Not bad, no?

Maruti's main selling point is resale value, which obviously depends on the availability of parts and service centers. To me, if I buy a good product, I really don't want to buy it because I want to sell it after a few years. I'm just looking forward to a good experience with it.

P.S.: On the point of not bashing Maruti or S-Presso for how it looks, I'm sure a lot of you have read what people said about Ritz, that "though it's more practical than a Swift and all, it looks like someone kicked it from the behind; that's why I bought a Swift." I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by Vikki@Hyderabad : 5th October 2019 at 23:47. Reason: Correction.
Vikki@Hyderabad is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 15:21   #494
BHPian

The DRL price at 9999 seems overpriced to me - especially since the shape is a straight line.

More complicated shapes (e.g. the DRLs for Brezza) are available in the market at less than half this price point.
Will this be Maruti's way of encouraging aftermarket accessories and helping the wider automobile accessory market survive in these tough times?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-spresso-drl.jpg  

manij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 16:30   #495
BHPian

Checked out the Spresso today. My impressions are as following compared to my lovely 2012 Wagon R.

Let me list the negatives first
--------------------------------------------------
1. Underthigh support is less(er)
2. Unnecessary and garish chrome and black decorations. Serves no practical purpose.
3. Unnecessarily bulky rear view mirror purely for aesthetic purposes. It is a liability on jungle raj indian roads.
4. Use of cable operated headllight levelling system instead of electrical and results in unnecessary blank switches.
5. Rear seat does not fold flush with the boot floor.

Positives
----------------
1. Lovely compact body. This is wonderful. Even shorter than my wagon R.
2. Lovely driving position. Nice and tall. Lots of leg room. Super visibility. You can see both edges of the bonnet from driver seat. It reminded me of my force judo 4x4 .
3. No stupid waterfall console in the center to interfere with the left knee. Lots of freedom of movement of left leg.
4. Gainormous legroom in front and rear. I am 184 cms and 110kgs. I found it easier to enter and exit . Even better than my wagon R
5. After fully pushing back the front seat there is still enough leg room in the rear for me. Knees barely touching the back of the front seat.
6. Much more usable and meaningful bootspace than the wagon R. One of my dogs can easily sleep in the boot.

Overall I think this is a lovely little car that will tunnel it's way into the owner's heart with it's sheer practicality , utility and ease of use. It is sad that most companies get lost in the aesthetics nonsesnse and refrain from producing such little work horses(or donkeys). I am conflicted about giving up my little wagon R. But it does not have ABS EBD AMT. Those things would be really nice to have. Who knows... I may be driving a white coloured spresso if they give me a fair deal for my little wagon R .

I will not openly say that I love the spresso....because my wagon r is listening.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191006wa0005.jpg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191006wa0002.jpg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191006wa0006.jpg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191006wa0009.jpg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191006wa0007.jpg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img20191006wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by rrnsss : 6th October 2019 at 16:45.
rrnsss is offline   (19) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed