Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2019, 13:08   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

We sold our Chevvy Beat D after 8 years of ownership and were in the market to get a replacement, this was going to be specifically for my Dad. Had zeroed in on Ignis and Wagon-R but my mom put some sense in me and my Dad and we finally booked the top end S-Presso !

The first day when we checked out the Wagon-R, I did not give S-Presso a second look as we were fixated on the Waggy. Day two, I took my mom to show what my dad was up to and she rejected the car in the first look. Reason: "Dad will not drive this because he is going to say 'I dont want to drive this in small roads' and will end up hauling ourselves on his Jupiter"
They had a heated argument just like two kids in the showroom with people watching us I, my wife and the sales representative had a great time enjoying it.

Some key excerpts:
Dad: "I can drive a car this big, why are you always stopping me from doing things ?"
Mom: "Oh yeah? then why did you take me to the market on your scooter that day ? I had to carry all the groceries on my lap, I remember you saying ' I am not going to drive that big car in those small lanes' "
Dad:"I've been driving cars for last 30 years..."
Mom dismisses him at looks at the Sales Executive: "You know, this man asks the security guard to park his car, because he has no CONFIDENCE in reversing it, he has scraped it so many times, show us a smaller car else I am leaving "
While they were tossing around their points, the executive asked me "Sir, I think we should show them the S-Presso"
I interjected and ordered them to go upstairs where the S-presso was kept on display. Mom instantly liked the dimensions and declared that she is not going to look beyond a car of this size. Then, my dad and I started looking at the car. Some points I noted :

- The space is comparable to the older Wagon-R.
- You just need to walk in and twitch your butt to slide inside. Ingress and egress is not going to be hard on older people's knees
- Dashboard looks funky and if you are open to such unconventional designs, you might just like it.
- At 5'8'' I could see the bonnet from the driver's view. Some might like it.
- Boot is big too, much bigger than the Beat
- Looks wise, it is quirky, but still does not look that bad. Its the other things like puny tyres, the gap between the wheel and the body which make it look bad.
- Battery is very small, should be light on pocket
- The lower bumpers are not colored and jut out a little, so people like my dad who don't mind scraping the car a little every now and then in parking lots will be happy to have lower maintenance costs as painting will not be involved. (I hope the lower bumper is comes as a separate unit)
- The car is tall, that makes the door pretty tall, once inside, you will see the plastic door pad is so big and flat that you can actually use it as a black-board if you have some chalks around. A bit disappointed that Maruti did not put some thought in designing it better. The feel of sitting inside is too industrial.
- Clutch was light, but moving the stick was a little hard and rubbery. (Did not drive it)
- The gap between the rear wheel and wheel arch is was so big that my Dad had to ask the executive if it was a manufacturing defect. The only way to hide it is going for a darker shade like granite grey. It looks too bad on orange (might be the same case for other colors)
- As far as build quality is concerned, the car is exactly similar to the older Alto K10, thin doors, hard and scratch plastics on the door-pads etc. Nothing premium even like the Hyundai Eon.
- As I am not that tall, under-thigh support was fine for me, taller ones will find that only their butt is rested properly. Rear seats are flat and boring, but will get the job done. The fixed rear head-rest is usable for shorter people, yet it was not as useless as the Honda Brio's.
- Some serious miss outs: Day-Night mirror and Fog lamps are not available even on the top end vxi+ . Its almost as if Maruti wants the car to be driven strictly within city limits.

Coming to why we had to go for the S-Presso:
After owning brands like Fiat and Chevrolet there was only one car that is still in our house and running perfectly fine: My dad's second new car, the Zen, bought in 2006 ! We later sold her to my cousin who has no issues whatsoever so far. Dad has developed a liking for Maruti and I agree with him, at his age, I cannot ask him to run around distant service centers with something falling apart or not working or risk him and his woman getting stranded on the streets five years later when all of them have got a little old. He is 59 right now. The thing with Maruti is that it just works.

P.S: Hyundai's Santro was in for contention but after Mom's earful we did not bother to pay a visit.
NiInJa is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 13:08   #512
Senior - BHPian

Lot's of people comparing this car with Kwid and saying Kwid is way better, SUV style & what not. But is it so? When you see photos, you say wow, nice, sexy, etc. for it but when you see car in reality, it changes to Really? As Kwid is small car, it is really small in real world and is similar to Alto only. Agree that it looks better but you can't compare it's looks to SUV at all. Even cars like Nexon, Brezza etc. (sub 4 meter category) don't look like proper SUV on road due to their dimensions, how come Kwid will look? Don't agree at all.

Coming back to S-presso, looks a neat package from Maruti. It will be very good city car for sure & it has a biggest advantage over Kwid that is it's height. It will make getting inside & coming outside lot more easier than Kwid, specially for senior people. Also it's a Maruti, which is a big plus point anyways.

End of the day, it's a budget car so no way it is going to be best in all aspects, mind it.
aniketi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 13:31   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Coming to why we had to go for the S-Presso:
After owning brands like Fiat and Chevrolet there was only one car that is still in our house and running perfectly fine: My dad's second new car, the Zen, bought in 2006 ! We later sold her to my cousin who has no issues whatsoever so far. Dad has developed a liking for Maruti and I agree with him, at his age, I cannot ask him to run around distant service centers with something falling apart or not working or risk him and his woman getting stranded on the streets five years later when all of them have got a little old. He is 59 right now. The thing with Maruti is that it just works.
Congratulations. Loved reading your post & the conversation snippets. That's how it goes in majority of Pune households. Those are the lines that preceded the AltoK10 in our parking.

It is a city car & a good one as long as its bought as a city car. That's same with all Maruti cars in these segments since the M800. They are frugal & easy to own + practical for our cramped conditions.

As its a new car, I'm curious to know how the S-Presso is creating a foothold for itself. Its a new entrant, but customers have always been around in this segment - one of the largest in our country by sales volumes. It will be interesting to know the reasons for which S-Presso gets picked. In the same showroom sits the Celerio. What was it that worked for the S-Presso and against the Celerio in your case?
Real customer cases like yours will actually tell how S-Presso finds its USP among the crowd. Sales volumes will tell if Maruti got the things right for one more car in relation to customers' needs. I'm really interested in seeing these things unfold.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th October 2019 at 13:33.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 13:49   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
. In the same showroom sits the Celerio. What was it that worked for the S-Presso and against the Celerio in your case?
Real customer cases like yours will actually tell how S-Presso finds its USP among the crowd. Sales volumes will tell if Maruti got the things right for one more car in relation to customers' needs. I'm really interested in seeing these things unfold.

Well, I own a Celerio, and am planning to buy the Spresso. Let me tell you my reason why someone might choose Spresso over Celerio.

Celerio is a bigger car - 13cm longer, 8cm wider. Spresso makes an easier car to drive in traffic.
It is heavier by 50kg
Same engine and hence Spresso would feel quicker due to better power to weight ratio.
Better ground clearance.
Better visibility- commanding view in Spresso
Spresso feels young, Celerio feels a bit old/boring, inside out.
I prefer the black interiors of Spresso over the beige of Celerio.
Space management is better in Spresso
Celerio is almost 1 lakh more expensive than the Spresso, which makes Celerio less VFM.
Same engine, similar space, similar feature set, but cheaper by a lakh, fresher looks, and better fit for bad roads and narrow lanes, Spresso wins!

And that's why I told Spresso might eat into Celerio's sales in my previous posts in this thread. And right here, you see an example.

PS: Being an ex Beat Diesel owner of 3 years and 90000 km, Spresso is surely an upgrade in space, NVH, performance and A.S.S. But Beat was a quality car, had better driving dynamics and it had a better build. 90,000 km and I had not even a single squeak or rattle.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th October 2019 at 14:15.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 13:56   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some key excerpts:

P.S: Hyundai's Santro was in for contention but after Mom's earful we did not bother to pay a visit.
That's a great write up, you're gifted, please write an ownership after you get the car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Steering looks dead :Frustrat Note: Do not miss the ending
It was hilarious, but just came from a 20 kms run in my son's Grand i10, it has too much slack dead center: you can turn it 25 deg R and L and still the car would go straight. I've driven my brother's Alto some time back it's absolutely devoid of feel so much so the car keeps you guessing at every turn you take. With the advent of the EPS the feel and centering has taken a back seat to 'twirling' with your little finger. Mods kindly merge my back to back posts, I'm sorry!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th October 2019 at 14:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 15:54   #516
BHPian

Quote:
... and we finally booked the top end S-Presso !.....
Thank you for the nice write-up.
Would you be taking a test drive, or the decision is made? When do you get delivery? The car may need a few 'mandatory' accessories to improve looks, would that be a priority for you?
manij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 16:39   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Looks wise, it is quirky, but still does not look that bad. Its the other things like puny tyres, the gap between the wheel and the body which make it look bad.
Great write up! Felt like I was watching your parents fight along with you Glad to know how real life decisions are made. Instead of armchair campers berating the new kid, your perspective helps, thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Lot's of people comparing this car with Kwid and saying Kwid is way better, SUV style & what not...S-presso, looks a neat package from Maruti. It will be very good city car for sure & it has a biggest advantage over Kwid that is it's height.
I too feel the same, SUV nomenclature is much abused these days, every Ramu Shamu and Mamu wants to piggyback on the uptrend. I hope S-presso will be a seller and will eat into kwid share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
It is a city car & a good one as long as its bought as a city car.
True, it is best suited for city, especially city like Bangalore where there are hardly any road. I drive Hexa auto and Vento, but still drool over Alto and Nano within the city limits.

Last edited by doxinboy : 7th October 2019 at 16:46.
doxinboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 22:27   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Had zeroed in on Ignis and Wagon-R but my mom put some sense in me and my Dad and we finally booked the top end S-Presso !
Hi congrats on the booking! Just wanted to ask 2 things.
  1. When will you be taking delivery of the car? What is the tentative date promised to you?
  2. At this price, you would’ve found Wagon R’s in the used car market, why not consider that?

Looking forward to the ownership thread!
nikhilthegunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 00:09   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

It seems the SPresso has dropped the Tachometer somewhere during the brewing. Does Maruti think people will get blinded by the touchscreen head unit & won't notice such dropped items? The humble AltoK10 gets it and its fun to see the needle climb like crazy thanks to the revv happy peppy petrol Suzuki engines! At least a digital one like the Triber should have been provided out of box.

In the video reviews I felt the head unit is getting a lot of glare from all sides thanks to its position and angle. Would like to know experience from those who TD. May be tough to read during the day. I had faced this with my previous car and Sony HU. At key junctions, glare would not let me see the map!

At least the chrome inserts in the grille should have been standard in VXI/VXI+. According to Gagan's review they are accessories! Thats not cool if true. Apparently chrome + DRL = INR 11k! Gagan mentioned the sheet metal feels thicker than the Baleno.

Last edited by SDP : 8th October 2019 at 07:53. Reason: Minor typo
Old 8th October 2019, 00:36   #520
BHPian

Since S-Presso reviews are already starting coming in. Except the Maruti Badge and Higher seating position, I didn't find it a compelling buy. In front of Kwid, it is not only short on the design front, but on equipment as well.
Kwid top variant gets all four Power Windows, Rear Center Armrest, Rear View Camera, DRL's which are standard (not an accessory), digital instrument cluster with Tachometer and alloy wheels.
Points where Kwid can be beaten down in comparison to S-Presso are Single Windshield Wiper, absence of Steering Mounted Controls, lower ASS touch-points, lower seating position in comparison to S-Presso and if I try more then say uncomfortable ingress/egress.
I think Kwid wins this race with too much ease, it would be hard to ignore that much features in the entry segment which is mostly devoid of even basic and essential features.

Last edited by Highh5 : 8th October 2019 at 00:39.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 02:59   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Since S-Presso reviews are already starting coming in. Except the Maruti Badge and Higher seating position, I didn't find it a compelling buy. In front of Kwid, it is not only short on the design front, but on equipment as well.
Kwid top variant gets all four Power Windows, Rear Center Armrest, Rear View Camera, DRL's which are standard (not an accessory), digital instrument cluster with Tachometer and alloy wheels.
Points where Kwid can be beaten down in comparison to S-Presso are Single Windshield Wiper, absence of Steering Mounted Controls, lower ASS touch-points, lower seating position in comparison to S-Presso and if I try more then say uncomfortable ingress/egress.
I think Kwid wins this race with too much ease, it would be hard to ignore that much features in the entry segment which is mostly devoid of even basic and essential features.
One more point in favour of the Spresso is the engine will be better than the Renault. Suzuki smaller engines are all best in their segment. I didn't really care for the Kwid 1.0 Ltr engine.

Also the Kwid still uses the older BS IV engine which could be an issue for some with all the restrictions coming up for older vehicles.

Last edited by SDP : 8th October 2019 at 07:55. Reason: Changed L to Ltr
bf1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 06:51   #522
BHPian

These are some things that I have noticed in the S Presso story.

Most of the media reviews are positive. (One of the major media was praising S Presso throughout but he mentioned fast maneuvering as a concern.)

Apart from the initial 'Boo' from the crowd , people are liking Spresso for the practicality it offers. Yes, it is a good package for a first time buyer. (If looks are not considered as a scoring point. It depends on personal perspective.)

MSIL is very keen on making sure that the photos and videos that comes out are all with the Spresso dressed up in the accesory kit. A humble question from my side is why didn't they make it standard atleast in the VXi+ . ( Hope that dealers won't force it as a mandatory addition for the car!)
albertprince is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 08:13   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
You forgot the two most important things where the S-Presso will beat the living DRLs out of Kwid.

1. Engine: The Maruti 1.0 is a tested and proven engine, whereas Renault's 1.0 is a clearly inferior engine. It becomes crude with age, power delivery becomes inconsistent and you can literally feel the vibrations getting worse. I own a 3 year old Kwid with 36000 km on odo, and also own a 3 year old Celerio (with same 1.0 of espresso) with 35000 km on the odo. Celerio's engine still sounds, performs and feels the same as day 1. Same thing cannot be said about the Kwid's 1.0

2. Reliability: I am not talking about breakdowns or anything serious like that. I am talking about the car being able to perform its duty without any minor issues or niggles. My Kwid already has started giving out sounds from rear suspension, ride quality has become noticeably worse, the brakes invariably give out screeching noise. And no, it has nothing to do with roads or maintenance, because all my other 3 cars get driven on the same roads, and I am particularly keen on getting the routine maintenance done (heck I have owned Tatas that have run over a lakh km without a single complaint). Renault A.S.S would say they checked and everything is fine, but the issue would stay. Last time the engine check light started to glow out of the blue, I panicked and sent the car to A.S.S only to be told that some sensor went berserk due to their water wash and what not.

I have had no such issues with the Marutis. Why do people go again and again with Marutis inspite of their inferior build quality, occasional rattles and nil brand image? Because, their products work flawlessly. Period.

Let's not forget the fuel efficiency. Maruti's 1.0 returns a solid 2 kmpl more over the Renault's 1.0, on similar driving conditions. For an A segment buyer, fuel efficiency does matter.

I buy cars to use them without having my rather short temper being tested by a lifeless utility by its inefficiency. With proper maintenance, Marutis last long, really long, and as someone said, they just work

For a middle class millennial who does not have the need to mask his/her insecurity with the brand of phone they use/car they drive/size of house they live in, Maruti, Tata and Hyundai make a lot of sense.

Agreed, going by spec sheets and looks, Kwid definitely makes more sense. But as a real world user, Kwid isn't an impressive package to me. Neither of these cars are enthusiast cars and were built to a cost and specific usage pattern. Both are predominantly city cars, made for the first time car buyer. I guess it boils down between looks and practicality. Those who want former will buy the Kwid and those after the latter will buy this soapboxo, er.. Espresso

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2019 at 17:47. Reason: Typos. Please run a spell-checker. Thanks! ;)
PrasannaDhana is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 08:48   #524
BHPian

All this debate aside, there’s one thing that’s very clear - had this thing been launched by any other manufacturer, it would’ve been butchered to death, and sank without a trace. Even Hyundai couldn’t sell this, let alone anyone else.

But since it’s a Maruti, their goodwill (well deserved, but being taken for granted) will sell this box, and maybe even win it the Autocar Car of the Year 2019 award.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 8th October 2019 at 08:49.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 09:08   #525
Senior - BHPian

Surprised by the comments about AMT version on few reviews! Shows how much scope there is to improve. I would love to have such an car with automatic for city runs, Wagon R would be a better bet from cost and comfort perspective, but it has grown way too much and doesn't feel small anymore.

Biggest negative I see is the price of the VXI+, seems to be too close to the segment above. Difference between Wagon R VXI AMT and S-Presso's VXI+ AMT is just 40K according to carwale.

This car will sell well in lower variants, I could see lot of positives with it. As someone said, Maruti cars run well for a long time, no matter which segment they belong to.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks