Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2019, 09:28   #526
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

A bit off-topic!

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191004_220418__01.jpg

If you see the reflection of the S-PRESSO, (and use a little bit of imagination), you can see the word BREZZA.

Possibly a hint that this one is Brezza's younger sibling.

For S-PRESSO, I wish Maruti had taken the BREZZA and put it in the xerox machine set to 70% size. Why reinvent the wheel?

VW is brilliant in this game of selling the same exterior design in 4 different sizes and have a product each in 4 different segments.

Last edited by SDP : 8th October 2019 at 09:39.
SDP is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 13:11   #527
BHPian

I have got a chance to see the car in person today, not at showroom but saw it on roads. I don't mean to bring in absolute hatred but this car didn't please my eye at all. The stance looked weird and totally disproportional. It looks like an alto shell placed on some plastic cladding with wheels. I feel while Maruti Suzuki seems to be taking a step forward with the new Dzire, Swift designs, it took ten steps back with this Spresso.

However it would certainly grab numbers from Celerio and Alto for sure. Deliveries seem to be up to the speed as I saw it on road already.
Old 8th October 2019, 19:43   #528
BHPian

India is a country where most people cannot afford to buy a separate car for highway and city. A slightly longer wheelbase and a slightly wider track would have made this car a much better alrounder. The engine is fine. Most families in India own only one car especially those moving up from a two wheeler. I don't think it is impossible to design a car which can be a city run about and a decent highway proposition at an affordable price but the car makers don't want their "small " cars to not eat in to their over priced elder siblings.

Car prices in India are one of the highest in the world with absurd amount of road tax, GST, etc. In these times of recession people cannot afford to have separate car for every purpose. Neither the automakers nor the government want to let go off their share of profits. There is hue and cry about declining sales but nobody wants to do anything about it. S Presso is another product which is "purposely" designed in a way so that this car cannot be used for long distance travelling despite having a more than competent engine.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 8th October 2019 at 19:45.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 19:53   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
A slightly longer wheelbase and a slightly wider track would have made this car a much better alrounder.
WagonR and Celerio will definitely not be happy with that
bipinbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 19:55   #530
BHPian

The Ritz, Zen Estilo, Ignis, A-star... Suzuki has had several duds in our market when they pushed designs a bit too far.

Buyers need not worry though, even the duds sell more than best sellers of some manufacturers.
vik99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 20:02   #531
Senior - BHPian

Got into an S-Presso on display here today at Koramangala, Bangalore.

I loved the high driver seat position (compared to my Kwid). Keeping the driver seat position same (I am 6 ft tall), I got into the rear seat and yet found ample leg room. The rear bench felt two to three inches narrower than my Kwid. I feel the rear seat can accommodate 2 healthy adults, and a kid in-between, that's about it. But the head room is good, giving an airy feel to the cabin.

Should make for a good city car, with easy parking and maneuvering.

The car definitely looks better in the flesh, in my personal opinion.
mooza is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 21:01   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I think Kwid wins this race with too much ease, it would be hard to ignore that much features in the entry segment which is mostly devoid of even basic and essential features.
I agree with you that the Kwid seems like a better package but one thing to note is that Maruti exists in places that Renault may not. So for people in those places, the Kwid may not make sense and the S-Presso would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

For a middle class millennial who does not have the need to mask his/her insecurity with the brand of phone they use/car they drive/size of house they live in.
I wonder if those millennials might even want to own a car given how they just want to rent everything.
Old 8th October 2019, 21:54   #533
BHPian

I can see that the looks of the car is growing on people, but one thing that I cannot gulp is the gap in the rear wheel. Those puny wheels look terrible.
Old 8th October 2019, 23:55   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
In the same showroom sits the Celerio. What was it that worked for the S-Presso and against the Celerio in your case?
Thanks for your compliments !
The honest reason is Dad was not very keen on getting a Celerio for some inexplicable reason. Maybe he was bored with so many around, I didn't ask him why. For me, the Celerio was a bit old and reminded us of our Brio, so was more open for a change. We knew that the car would rarely see the highways except for occasional Mumbai or Satara drives and the difference between Celerio and S-Presso is about 90k on-road which means we could save some big bucks too. Also, the top end S-Presso comes with Android Auto which was my priority. The second reason is that its much more spacious and tall which would be good for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
Would you be taking a test drive, or the decision is made? When do you get delivery? The car may need a few 'mandatory' accessories to improve looks, would that be a priority for you?
Yup, we booked the car yesterday, no discounts given on the car but negotiating on accessories. I am thinking of putting side cladding and a rear view camera as priority considering my dad's driving style
They have promised to deliver the car on Diwali, but fingers crossed, we are amongst the first ten bookings done at the dealer. The test drive cars haven't arrived yet, but I don't think its going affect our decision, the car is going to be bought for transporting two individuals safely within city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
  1. When will you be taking delivery of the car? What is the tentative date promised to you?
  2. At this price, you would’ve found Wagon R’s in the used car market, why not consider that?

Looking forward to the ownership thread!
Thanks !
Dad was not interested in buying a used car, we sold the Beat as it had given a very unexpected issue which made us lose faith in the car instantly (More details in Chevrolet Beat official review thread). So a used car would put him in the same situation if it turned out to be problematic later. Delivery is promised on Diwali, but it all depends on how overwhelming the response is, right now, even the dealer is clueless.

The on-road price for vxi+ in Pune is 5,31 lakh including 5 year extended warranty and no other mandatory accessories etc., they are including ~2500 Rupees as RTO charges. No dealer is offering any discounts unless you are a relative of his I have told the dealer that I'll get some accessories from him only if he gives some discounts, we got the Ertiga from the same dealer last year so our relations with him have been good so far and I am hoping he gives a good deal. Will get in touch with them this Saturday as the Sales Representative handling our case is on holiday.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 08:31   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso enters the September-19 sales chart.

Does a commendable 5006 copies ( though they will be mostly dealer dispatches).

Expect this 'SUV' to grace the top 10 in the coming months.Now it is ranked 14th in the top 25 cars in Sept-19 sales chart.

Its nearest competitor shows a humble 2995 as Sep-19 sales figures.

Source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th October 2019 at 08:34.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 12:57   #536
Senior - BHPian

Maruti engineers designed this car but didn't name it. Suzuki people where keen on getting name for this and pressing them to give some name. So engineers got annoyed and gave name S-presso (Suzuki pressurizing)

Jokes apart, what is this name all about? Why Suzuki has so much obsession about word S, just because it represents Suzuki? We had SX4, S-Cross and now S-Presso. Can't imagine what come next.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 13:52   #537
BHPian

An insignificant point for many but an important one for few, the S-Presso has 4 wheel lug-nuts as opposed to 3 on the Kwid. Can this mean more after market alloy wheel options and room to upsize the tyres to increase the footprint, which is the sore negative of the S-Presso currently, in my books?
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 22:35   #538
Senior - BHPian

I too saw the car in person today, and it looks way better than the way it looks in pictures and videos.
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191009_1519592.jpg
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191009_1517232.jpg
The seat height is such that average height drivers will like the commanding view.
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191009_151615.jpg
The seat is narrow and there is little support for shoulder.
The built quality, is so so. The doors feel light.
Its a spacious 4 seater and will sell well. It will certainly attract both alto and Celerio customers.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191009_1517092.jpg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191009_1516332.jpg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_20191009_1516592.jpg  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th October 2019 at 22:52. Reason: Removed quote. Thanks.
fz_rider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 01:40   #539
BHPian

In this angle and shade the S-presso looks pretty decent. With wheel arch and side cladding and without the chrome accents on the grill will look quite good in Gray, Silver and Red shades. Definitely not at all bad.

And the polarising looks apart, the practicality is unbeatable in the sub 5 lakhs range. Super compact on the outside, spacious on the inside with good ground clearance to combat speed breakers and waterlogged roads and the peppy K10 unit!

In my personal opinion this will be a fantastic city runabout once the usual 30-40k discounts become common.

Disclaimer: Not related to Maruti in any way. Absolutely believe Maruti could have made it look a lot better and offered better colors. But the current package offers some things which no other cars offer in that range. So let's get over the looks and appreciate it's value.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-img_0214.png  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-lijvc9io_marutisuzukispresso_625x300_04_october_19.jpg  

Last edited by Djay : 10th October 2019 at 01:44. Reason: Removing some references to other posts which have been removed from the thread
Djay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:54   #540
Team-BHP Support

If I may weigh in..

I was on the other side of the fence, bashing the car for its appearance. And for the fact that MSIL are again giving us a cheap product. Let's face it, it's nothing like the concept that it's supposedly based on, and it takes something special for a manufacturer to make a car look cheap.. from a distance!

And then I saw it in person. And I'll tell you what, it's not a bad looking car at all!

It does look a bit like a dinky-toy, especially in the Orange and Blue colours. It looks great in the Red that is also available. It just needs beefier looking tyres and wheels to fill out those arches, but it appears that the room within the arches limits the possibility of upsizing the tyre.

My only issue is not actually with the car, but MSIL's insistence in calling it a micro/mini SUV when clearly, it's nothing but a raised hatchback.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks