Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2019, 11:25   #586
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

While initially I didn't like the design much, after seeing one in person with all the accessories fitted the S-Presso looked like a decent city car. The alloys really make a difference and give the car a better stance as well.

By the way, I think this little so called SUV has a lot of mod potential. I think it could be a good base for a suedo pickup as well. Taking inspiration from the Suzuki Mighty Boy, I came up with this render.

SRK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 12:11   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
By the way, I think this little so called SUV has a lot of mod potential. I think it could be a good base for a suedo pickup as well. Taking inspiration from the Suzuki Mighty Boy, I came up with this render.
Glad I am not the only one who saw the potential. I know this is too much to ask, but can you make a render, making this car look like Jimny with few kits?

This would be the ideal city car with some mods thrown it to hide the price tag.

P.S: Hope Maruti is not getting weird ideas from our post.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 19th October 2019 at 12:18.
Old 20th October 2019, 17:32   #588
BHPian

Slight OT

Got below image as a whatsapp forward.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-15d1616954b542d68e98e463b759e9a5.jpeg
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 09:49   #589
BHPian

I visited the local Maruti showroom and sat in the Spresso display car and it put a smile on my face instantly. The way it has been designed keeping the comfort of the passengers and the ease of use for the driver is simply commendable. The addition of AGS and ABS increases the ease of use and safety quotient.

Most of the "enthusiasts" beat down on this wonderful car because, in their view it is not beautiful, it is not premium, it does not have unnecessary large wheels, it does not confirm to their expectations of safety etc. Their complaints are endless. I even saw someone holding it's lower price tag against it as a negative.

I have owned many cars in my life ( Dodge Spirit, Toyota Celica, Toyota LC FJ40, Jeep Wrangler 2.4, Dodge Ram 1500, Chevy silverado 1500, Swift , Bolero 4x4, Judo 4x4, Innova, VW vento and my lovely Wagon R) and I can confidently say that if there is one car I absolutely LOVE, it is my Wagon R.

Those who beat up on such boxy cars, look at cars for how those cars can make them FEEL. While, most normal people look at cars for what they can DO for them. Thankfully, the buying power of the normal people dwarfs the buying power of the Elite, and this is why Maruti can design such wonderfully useful cars for our market ignoring the criticisms of the "experts".

I am positive that this car will be a huge success as it will fill the void left by the 2nd Gen Wagon R, which was a huge success as well. It is no coincidence that the outgoing Wagon R and the S presso are almost identical in dimensions and specifications. While the "micro minority of potential car buyers" will continue beating up on this car on their keyboards, the country will march on the path of needs dictated by reality, and this car will rack up record breaking sales.

On a personal note, I wish they had given a 1.2 option on the spresso as well. Too bad, I am forced to lean towards the now bigger and the slightly more impractical "New big Wagon R".

Last edited by rrnsss : 21st October 2019 at 10:15.
rrnsss is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 17:42   #590
BHPian

Have a few questions please for the experts:

1) The plastic on the doors - e.g. below the inside door handles on the drivers side door seems to have a lot of flex and was moving more than I expected when I tried pressing it a little. Is that normal for this category of cars? And does this really matter, in case it does not add any additional sounds?

2) Inside the wheel wells/underside, the body color is clearly visible on the fibers/body material through the significant gap between the wheels and the well border - which looks odd. Is painting the inside of the wheel wells in black or else using some other material there an option?

3) Was told an 'accessory kit' costing ~12.5K is mandatory (This consists of DRL, the 4 piece front grill insert on either side of the Suzuki emblem, and the rear bumper) - is that a normal demand from dealers for new cars?

4) The dealer has included 'basic accessory kit' costing >7K into the price. This apparently includes things like perfume and mats. Cars like Alto has that comparitive price at lesser than 4K. Is this a way for dealers to make more money for cars in demand, and later reduce this price when the cars go out of demand?

I saw a youtube video of the New WagonR where it was kept in the sun for some time, due to which the front dashboard plastic became soft with significant flex. Have not seen this happen in the other cars I have used, presume the issue (if it exists) would be smaller in the WagonR's younger sibling S-Presso since the dash area itself is much smaller.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd October 2019 at 08:42. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
manij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 18:39   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
Have a few questions please for the experts:
1) The plastic on the doors - e.g. below the inside door handles on the drivers side door seems to have a lot of flex and was moving more than I expected when I tried pressing it a little. Is that normal for this category of cars? And does this really matter, in case it does not add any additional sounds?
Some amount of flex in the door panels when one presses hard is normal in higher priced cars as well (example, in Honda City when the the door windows are raised/lowered). It really comes down to the quality of plastics used and unfortunately, most Marutis have iffy plastic quality. However, do check and confirm if the door panel was removed for any reason and(or) wasn't fitted properly.

Quote:
2) Inside the wheel wells/underside, the body color is clearly visible on the fibers/body material through the significant gap between the wheels and the well border - which looks odd. Is painting the inside of the wheel wells in black or else using some other material there an option?
I have been thinking of similar solutions to the 'wheel well problem'. It looks really bad, especially at the rear. Painting it black/dark grey is the way to go, me thinks. It will mask the huge gap between the tyre and the wheel well. I wonder why Maruti couldn't think of a simple solution like this!

Quote:
3) Was told an 'accessory kit' costing ~12.5K is mandatory (This consists of DRL, the 4 piece front grill insert on either side of the Suzuki emblem, and the rear bumper) - is that a normal demand from dealers for new cars?
4) The dealer has included 'basic accessory kit' costing >7K into the price. This apparently includes things like perfume and mats. Cars like Alto has that comparitive price at lesser than 4K. Is this a way for dealers to make more money for cars in demand, and later reduce this price when the cars go out of demand?
Stupid tactics by the dealers to push the accessories at much higher prices. I suggest you to simply reject these "mandatory" kits and buy what is necessary. If the dealer refuses, just walk out and go to another showroom.

Last edited by Porschefire : 21st October 2019 at 18:40.
Porschefire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 18:56   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I have been thinking of similar solutions to the 'wheel well problem'. It looks really bad, especially at the rear. Painting it black/dark grey is the way to go, me thinks. It will mask the huge gap between the tyre and the wheel well. I wonder why Maruti couldn't think of a simple solution like this!
Maybe due to the additional production steps and cycle time (e.g. drying time for the additional coat of paint) that would have theoretically caused additional costs to be attributed to the car in their production product costing runs. They may have wanted to keep the costs as low as possible to be able to price it decently while making maximum margins per car.
Old 22nd October 2019, 13:04   #593
Senior - BHPian

Just had a chance to look at Orange car from close. Forget photos guy's. This car looks damn cute in reality. It is only cute car after Nano in Indian car market. Looks perfect small car for city use and small family. Forget word SUVish & all other crap thrown. MSIL has delivered a good car for us.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 13:34   #594
BHPian

Here in Chennai, we still have no TEST vehicles. I really want to TD this car before I sign on the dotted line for the Wagon R.
Old 22nd October 2019, 13:55   #595
Senior - BHPian

I called the Sales Advisor today, the chap said that he is clueless why Maruti has not dispatched any cars after the first 6 cars that were allotted around the time of the launch. As always, he said he will escalate it and get back to me.

So my hopes of getting the car on Diwali are dashed. I did have that feeling that these guys are just giving false promises anyway. Its frustrating that we wont have a car to drive around during the festive days. I haven't seen a single one on road yet. This was not the case for Wagon-R for sure. I fear this might turn out to be like the Ertiga where the waiting period shot up to three months within a few days.

Anyone here who has booked the car, what is the normal waiting time the dealer has promised you ?
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:02   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted one in traffic today. Seriously, this looked like a toy, tin-can version of the Brezza, with a some watering-down of the styling. Size-wise, a little bigger than the Alto 800.

Consistency, thy name is Maruti. :(
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:48   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

Anyone here who has booked the car, what is the normal waiting time the dealer has promised you ?
It is one month here. And Maruti guys show no interest in following up prospective customers of Spresso. I guess they have a strong demand for the car and hence choose to ignore customers who actually demand a test drive. For me, that's a deal breaker. You don't respect my requests, I don't respect your product.

Also no exchange bonus too on the Spresso purchase. I can understand not giving any festive offers as it's a bee launch, but no exchange bonus too is stupidity.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 19:47   #598
BHPian

Today I went to book my Wagon R AMT and took a tiny test drive of the spresso. What a little beauty

rrnsss is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 04:19   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I guess they have a strong demand for the car and hence choose to ignore customers who actually demand a test drive. For me, that's a deal breaker. You don't respect my requests, I don't respect your product.
Take it with a pinch of salt man, sales men are there to sell their product, period. When we buying expensive goods, it's better to lean towards the product than the experience. After the initial fake smile, coffee, fake empathy and signing, they just disappear in the thin air.
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 08:17   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Today I went to book my Wagon R AMT and took a tiny test drive of the spresso. What a little beauty
What more advertisement does Maruti need than from a customer praising like this. Incredible space inside ABT to do a test drive. However testing it on real roads could have been useful to see real world performance and issues. The raised bonnet could cause issues looking at pot holes that are very close to the car? I hope test drive cars are available soon enough!

Last edited by Vians : 24th October 2019 at 08:18.
Vians is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed