Old 8th November 2019, 23:58   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Kid_Jay View Post
Just the frustration of an enthusiast.
Do spend some time , drive the car

Quote:
Their corporate ethics are better than MS by a mile.
Really ?

1. Renault has still not solved the A pedal issue in Kwid. A friend got Kwid AMT last month and the car started to auto accelerate , no recall of cars yet

2. No recall for the injector issues in Duster.

3. Not to forget the Captur marketing saga.

Renault is the most unethical brand I have ever come across in India. I own Kwid and couple of cars from Maruti.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 00:13   #662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Really ?

1. Renault has still not solved the A pedal issue in Kwid. A friend got Kwid AMT last month and the car started to auto accelerate , no recall of cars yet

2. No recall for the injector issues in Duster.

3. Not to forget the Captur marketing saga.

Renault is the most unethical brand I have ever come across in India. I own Kwid and couple of cars from Maruti.
This also reminds me of the smaller size airbags which Renault had in one of their models(was it Duster?)

Regards,
Shashi

EDIT: It was indeed Duster.

Quote:
Renault gives Indian market a low priority in safety again!

Global NCAP results in 2015 shows the LATIN Spec Duster in a Single air bag configuration scored 4 Stars.

It was found that the Indian Duster airbag was smaller than that of the Latin American Duster.
Quote:
The difference in airbag size brings corresponding differences in protection. With the Indian Duster the head of the driver did not contact the airbag in the centre as it should, exposing the head to impact on the steering wheel and therefore more risk of injuries. This can be seen when the head reaches maximum front excursion and compresses the airbag. The Latin American Duster airbag on the other hand was a larger size and covered the head and chest of the driver. With the head in maximum forward excursion the airbag still shows containment to the head protecting it from the steering wheel.
Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4196166 (Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag)

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th November 2019 at 00:17. Reason: Adding more info
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 01:35   #663
Senior - BHPian

Haven't seen the spresso upfront but going by the comments looks like it's already pretty popular. Won't comment on the looks as that's subjective but here's my two cents regarding the engine as I have used it extensively on my estilo for last 2.5 years and 25k kms which I guess is good enough to judge an engine.

Pros:

1. It's got nice mid range.
2. Is pretty frugal. Highways I have seen around 18-20kmpl and cities 13-15kmpl in Bangalore.
3. Can cruise happily at 80kmph on highways all day long.

Cons:

1. Absolutely sad bottom end. With 2 people crossing a medium sized speedbreaker at 2nd gear was a challenge.
2. With AC on, performance degrades substantially and everytime to accelerate(after slowing down in stop & go traffic) I had to switch off AC , drop a gear and then the car would move. But yeah switching off AC would give it a turbo-like shove
3. With more than 2 passengers fuel efficiency takes a hit.

The whole point of this post is just to suggest folks to have a proper test drive in city traffic conditions for some distance and check if they can live with these shortcomings as this car is mainly aimed at city usage. It's a decent engine but not as good as the 1.2L k series by any means.

P.S: But the estilo was more than 100kgs heavier than the spresso and maybe that too accounted for the dismal low end performance. So make sure you do test drive the car properly before signing that cheque.

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th November 2019 at 01:45.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 05:51   #664
BHPian

Espresso in White and Silver color looks pretty decent on the roads and not at all quirky.
Had a white one in my rear view mirror the other day, the high bonnet of it would first make you believe as if a big car is behind you.

I see this car doing great numbers especially in rural and hilly areas.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 11:30   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
True that, but the S-Presso doesn't come in black.
Granite Grey, looks pretty much like Black. My neighbor has one and it looks decent.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 19:11   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I see this car doing great numbers especially in rural and hilly areas.
I agree. The S-Presso with it's frugal and peppy engine is a perfect car for the average Joe living in such regions. In general, their priority is a car that can endure bad roads and provide good efficiency rather that safety.
Old 10th November 2019, 02:07   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This might be slightly OT, but how does one do alignment and balancing for such a different setup?Alignment machine usually has readings for stock springs.
Yes. Was wondering the same as well. Could anyone explain pls ?
Old 10th November 2019, 07:42   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I think, other than the toothed grille and thin, tiny wheels, the S-Presso is alright to look at. I tried to place a regular grille on it and here is the result.
That's nice work removing the teeth. In my humble opinion, the appearance of double bumpers is another sore point. I feel Maruti's designers looked in its new partner Toyota's global portfolio for design cues, took inspiration from RAV4 and then botched up the execution.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:36   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Haven't seen the spresso

The whole point of this post is just to suggest folks to have a proper test drive in city traffic conditions for some distance and check if they can live with these shortcomings as this car is mainly aimed at city usage. It's a decent engine but not as good as the 1.2L k series by any means.

P.S: But the estilo was more than 100kgs heavier than the spresso and maybe that too accounted for the dismal low end performance. So make sure you do test drive the car properly before signing that cheque.
Tested Spresso along with a few other teambhpians and we did not encounter any such issue with 5 passengers and a/c switched on. In fact the AMT is smooth and you don't feel the head knock when you accelerate linearly, only under hard acceleration you feel it.
Chillout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 08:38   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

S presso CNG BS6 spied , a 1.2L more powerful variant is also in the making.

It shows all signs of being the next ' ALTO' in terms of volumes.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutispressocngspiedlaunch4.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 09:42   #671
BHPian

No offence to anyone, but, this is what came to my mind, when I checked out the S Presso
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-tow-mater.jpg  

styx71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 10:13   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
a 1.2L more powerful variant is also in the making.
The K12M in such a light and tiny car would make it the absolute pocket-rocket! But not with these wheels, though!

I'm sure the power-to-weight ratio will exceed 100PS/ton if this indeed happens.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 11:33   #673
BHPian

Autocar India has released a video comparing the S-Presso with the Kwid.

What I can say from that video is that the Kwid is better in terms of styling and features, while the S-Presso is ahead of the Kwid in terms of driveability and space!

Source: Youtube
Old 10th November 2019, 11:53   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
That's nice work removing the teeth. In my humble opinion, the appearance of double bumpers is another sore point. I feel Maruti's designers looked in its new partner Toyota's global portfolio for design cues, took inspiration from RAV4 and then botched up the execution.
You are right, I had tried that too. There was too much vacant area, so I moved the number plate there.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-spresso3.jpeg  

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-spresso3a.jpeg  

ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 12:01   #675
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The S Presso is very spacious and has plenty of headroom. A nice car for the city in its top spec avatar. Good ground clearance and everything.
But being engineered to a price it ends up (poor thing) feeling cheap with the kind of materials they use inside etc.
The tyres are also far too skinny and small.
But this car serves the purpose for someone looking for an inexpensive daily runabout.
And it is certainly much better than the Celerio.
But not quite as nice as the New Maruti WagonR (which is indeed a very nice vehicle compared with the S Presso or the Renault Kwid which has a certain cool appeal to it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks