Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 06:30   #166
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing a hint of Toyota FJ Cruiser on the S Presso? Imagine the blue car with a white roof. My fear is that it'll end up looking very under tyred.
Old 13th September 2019, 14:47   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw this in feed and I concur, what were they smoking while designing this! Apparently this is the base variant. Side profile does have some resemblance to Alto.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190913144847__01.jpg

Source - Link

Last edited by BoneCollector : 13th September 2019 at 14:54.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:53   #168
BHPian

Suddenly the dzire seems a beauty. How does this get approval? Maruti does have the ability to sell stuff but this is a product that will truly test the sales. I would love to hear from the designers. Do they even exist?
chittybang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:58   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
Suddenly the dzire seems a beauty. How does this get approval? Maruti does have the ability to sell stuff but this is a product that will truly test the sales. I would love to hear from the designers. Do they even exist?
Hey the current generation DZire is not a bad looking car man. The previous generations surely were pretty basic. Current one looks contemporary & holds its own against those in the segment.

Coming back to the topic - I'm sure the designers also have a specific target of NOT making the car look too good. This matters in cases like Maruti where if the SPresso looks too good - it kills the WagonR. But if it doesn't look too good, it still sells because of the MarutiSuzuki badge.

In cases like Tata etc, they have just 1 car to sell in a segment & so they go all out in design & come out with a real looker like Tiago. In the end? Tata sells some 3000 cars a month while MSIL sells what? 20000 cars in the same segment across 4 different nameplates. Compared to the current Alto, AltoK10 - this S-Presso thing actually looks better. The Autocar leaked image doesn't look too ghastly. Provided it falls in the bracket of the AltoK10 and not above that i.e.

It needs to look good only among its peers. Not in comparison with cars from segment above. What are the peers? Nano, Alto800, AltoK10, KUV100, KWID. This car isn't looking too bad in that group.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th September 2019 at 14:59.
Old 13th September 2019, 15:17   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki S-Presso to be based on Heartect platform.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190913025857_spressohearttect.jpg

Quote:
Weighing 726kg, the base S-Presso is marginally lighter than the entry-level 800cc Alto, and a good 43kg less than the Alto K10. Even the top-spec model, at 763kg, is a good 21kg less than the Alto K10 VXi, and the AMT-equipped, top-spec S-Presso weighs just 4kg more. That said, the S-Presso is heavier than the Renault Kwid, which, in base spec, weighs in at a light 699kg.
Quote:
7.0-inch SmartPlay Studio infotainment system with voice recognition, steering-mounted controls, rear parcel tray, body-coloured outside mirrors, and door handles, and a 12V-volt accessory socket.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th September 2019 at 15:21.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:55   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow even lighter than the Alto800. Micro SUV. Superb. I guess this will then give a claimed fuel efficiency same as or more than contemporary 150cc motorbikes now.

Jokes apart - a bit surprised that MSIL isn't gauging the market sentiments like they usually do. People are getting conscious about safety & build quality. They should realize that from their sales numbers lost against the % lost by competitors. Launching an even lighter car may not be the best strategy for brand's image in safety arena.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 20:18   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey the current generation DZire is not a bad looking car man. The previous generations surely were pretty basic.
Agreed, the last iteration is the best one. I still believe the manufacturer with phenomenal market share must be setting the bar high no matter how many options they sell within a bracket. They have the least risk. Besides, design is one of the corner stones for the passion that cars provide.
Old 16th September 2019, 18:55   #173
Senior - BHPian

Some aspects of the profile reminds me of the Sipani Dolphin (or was it the Montana?)
Picture courtesy team-bhp link (Remembering Sipani Automobiles!)
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-screenshot_20190916184704.png
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 19:26   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Wow even lighter than the Alto800. Micro SUV
S-Presso is probably just that, an Alto. The real next generation Alto!

Of course, Maruti being Maruti - won't change a winning formula so drastically. Risks are taken with a new sub-brand so it's a win-win situation irrespective of the market success for the SPresso.

If it succeeds and starts taking sales from Alto, Maruti discontinues the latter citing compliance issues with some future norms. If it doesn't, Alto receives a nip and tuck and continues selling with the same formula. SPresso becomes another experimental sub-brand like the Celerio.Maruti wins eitherways.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th September 2019 at 19:39.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 19:35   #175
BHPian

I feel sorry for the amount of effort the Maruti puts on coming up with new products for the market. They have been exploiting the buyers (entry-level) buyers keenness on the fuel efficiency and service network only. I see truckloads of Alto's in Cochin as Uber these days and do not see many private registered ones.

The product version feels like mocking the concept - I see similar outcomes on social media where the "troll" on Customer Expectation & Customer Budget.

Spending 3-4 lakhs on a car, I think the buyer should be given a good looking car.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:42   #176
BHPian

There are hundreds and thousands of buyers for whom looks do not matter. I am one of them as well. I hope Maruti comes up with space saving innovations like a split but full front bench seat, gear knob on the dash (like Japanese Kei cars), a fully flat folding rear seat etc.

Think of Alto/S-Presso as the TVS XL moped of the car world. We care about how useful it is rather than how it looks.

In a day and age where even a half decent motorbike costs 1 Lakhs, 4 Lakhs for a car is not a big price.

I already like the funky, funny , "see if I care about your opinion", "only a mother could love" looks of the S-Presso. I am hoping against hope that Maruti would concentrate on maximizing the inside space, like renault did with the Triber.

Last edited by rrnsss : 17th September 2019 at 08:43.
rrnsss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 09:22   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
S-Presso is probably just that, an Alto. The real next generation Alto!

Of course, Maruti being Maruti - won't change a winning formula so drastically....
I am sorry but the work for new Alto is on in parallel as per my information with a launch somewhere in 2021 probably. The S-Presso is not Alto although it will share platform with new Alto. Like I have mentioned before, we may look at this odd ball car as the indianised hustler.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 14:35   #178
Vmv
BHPian

SRK Rendering rear quarter of S-Presso
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutisuzukispressorear2019232d6.jpg  

Vmv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 15:03   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

S Presso spy pics, while on test.

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutispresso2.jpeg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutispresso11024x576.jpeg

Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutispresso31024x576.jpeg

Link
Old 17th September 2019, 16:26   #180
BANNED

Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-s-pres...0-and-celerio/

All the cars like Alto, Alto K10 and Celerio to stay even after the S-Presso launch. To be marketed like Alto > K10 > S-Presso > Celerio.

A new image of the car shows the side + front side (in orange). Ugly? Yes. But it is looking better than the current Alto and K10, which looks so down-market in front of original Alto.

Instead of this S-Presso, they should have modified the Ignis to have a rear like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Presso, the SUV'ish hatchback. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 3.69 lakhs-marutispresso11068x601.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th September 2019 at 16:33.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks