Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2007, 17:30   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Everyone is talking only about the FE. I personally dont like Swift for 3 reasons:

1. Cramped inside
2. Crappy interiors (dashboard, doors, trim)
3. Bulbous butt, narrowing head

The diesel engine sounds a good proposition, but if only the car is nicer from the inside. IMO the same engine in UVA must be a killer combination.
its cramped + i hate its butt but i feel interiors are ok.. they are kinda my taste (Black and Grey)
Old 1st February 2007, 19:37   #167
Team-BHP Support

My friend got his swift VDi two days back...

Got to check it out today...

IMHO: ITS THE BEST PREMIUM HATCH AVAILABLE... (Including the likes of Getz, U-VA etc)...
Old 1st February 2007, 20:12   #168

Learnt these details from Car and Bike Show on NDTV:
1. ABS is not standard, but optional on the 4.96 lakh version,
2. Airbags not provided, not even as option,
3. Climate Control also removed, again not available as an option also,
4. Since this is a B+ car segment, NDTV says a Rear De-fogger should have been provided (Optional again).
It seems that Maruti has done a lot of trimming job done to keep the price tag low, and lure early buyers. What I feel is that at least, Airbags and Climate Control should be provided as an option.
Old 1st February 2007, 20:12   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IMHO: ITS THE BEST PREMIUM HATCH AVAILABLE... (Including the likes of Getz, U-VA etc)...
Not for long, though it has the first mover advantage.
Old 5th February 2007, 15:19   #170
BHPian

My First Car ....

Hi Guys,

After nearly 2 years of wait I have finally decided to get the Swift VDI.
(I am going in for Diesel, as my commute is 60+ daily from Delhi to Noida.
Since this is my first car, I request the senior members to help me with these issues.

1) I approached SBI last week and asked for the price, they have offered 10.25 (three years) which is a little more than what private bank (HDFC offered me 13% with 4 % cash back), I am being told 10.25 is standard for the entire nationalized banks. I was also planning for paying 4 Lkh cash and 1.5 for be financed. But the SBI bank manager told me that it’s better to have some liquidity and should go it for 60- 80% finance. My point is, I am getting 7-9% returns (- 2% tax) on the FD why should keep FD and then borrow the money at higher rate? I am missing some points over here?

2) The actual price of VDI, in Delhi the on road price is 5,30 – 5,43 . I keep on getting different quotes. On further investigation I have found that the cost of extended warranty, which is some thing, like 4,000.+ is getting manipulated. Dealer will quote me less price to get me at their dealership and then at the very end when I am just about the sign tell me about these fine details . Also please can somebody let me know of corporate discount available in VDI.

3) The booking period, in Delhi dealers refuse to let me know the exact time. I have been told from 2 days to a month. How can that be possible since all of then are in Delhi. How can I get an actual confirmed date?
Old 5th February 2007, 16:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Hey Kool Kid,

I suggest you wait for few months if you want to buy Swift Diesel, in few months Maruti should give some discounts since Getz Diesle might be available in couple of months.

For daily 60KM usage Swift D don't make sense, because first 3 years (I guess ) it won't make any difference with its petrol counterpart.

However If you like it for it! Swift is not worth car to wait for months to take the delivery. so you can definately choose from available other options likeSwift PEtrol or UVA(its best hatch available right now).

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th February 2007, 16:25   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
My point is, I am getting 7-9% returns (- 2% tax) on the FD why should keep FD and then borrow the money at higher rate?
With FD you always have your money within your reach if needed. If you spend that money in car, you have to finance that money from banks at higher rates eg: personal loans.

If you intend to keep your car for atleast 5 years then it makes sense to go for diesel else petrol with discounts is far better option.
Old 6th February 2007, 00:58   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
UVA(its best hatch available right now).
I respect your opinion...

But IMO, its crap... Big car with tiny engine, no features, and too high a price tag... May be, if it was 40k cheaper... But, at this price... No way...

If you need space, Getz is better... Otherwise Swift is better... U-VA just doesnt fit in...
Old 6th February 2007, 07:22   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I respect your opinion...

But IMO, its crap... Big car with tiny engine, no features, and too high a price tag... May be, if it was 40k cheaper... But, at this price... No way...

If you need space, Getz is better... Otherwise Swift is better... U-VA just doesnt fit in...
and that too considering the fact that it enjoys excise-reduction as it comes with 1.2L Petrol engine as opposed to 1.3L in Swift Petrol, which has ABS, Air-Bag, Auto Climate Control,etc at the same price
Old 6th February 2007, 10:28   #175
BHPian

Maruti has always known how to cut competition and hold its position in the market through its pricing policies. Over the years it has mastered this art of playing safe in the market on the basis of its quality, refinement of engines and strong customer support. Interiors and styling is one area where competition is providing better quality however for the price, Maruti is not bad either.
Old 6th February 2007, 14:24   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Interiors and styling is one area where competition is providing better quality however for the price, Maruti is not bad either.
100% agreed. well said
Old 6th February 2007, 15:16   #177
Team-BHP Support

Guys...

See this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Just had a word with peter. He says the tunnig box will have 90bhp and 215NM of torque and boy thats gonna be lots of fun.
Old 13th February 2007, 17:39   #178

Swift Delivery in 2days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Just booked a swift diesel ldi today .. Getting delivery in two days flat .. If anyone is interested in buying a car in bangalore and need a quick delivery kindly get in touch with me ... Would love to help fellow bhpians ..
Can you please tell me the secret? I am waiting for swift VDi they are saying it is 4-6 weeks waiting period.
Old 13th February 2007, 18:21   #179
Senior - BHPian

Guys, beware of dealers who promise express delivery. You could end up with a test driven car from either at the plant or the dealership. I just learned of a case in Kerala where someone hurried his Estilo delivery and got a test driven car with soiled interiors.

Better wait than be stuck with a useless thrashed car.
Old 24th March 2007, 16:04   #180
BHPian

I had posted the net cost advantage of Swift Diesel earlier. There is considerable waiting for this vehicle (around 2-3 months), half of which is a hype which is being generated by Maruti. And rest is price increases to take advantage of the customers who are thinking that diesel is the future.

Here are updated figures which show that if you compare Swift Lxi with Swift Vdi - to see if Diesel is really cost effective for a normal user who does not clocks too many kilometers, and using normal unleaded petrol which costs Rs. 44.5 (Delhi) compared to Diesel costing Rs. 30.8 then it takes 7.67 years to negate the price difference of 139,000 between Lxi and Vdi considering a high mileage of 17,400 km per year. If you reduce the mileage by half then the number of years increase to approximately TWICE. Even if you were to compare Vxi to Vdi, the difference would have taken 5.67 years to negate when the odometer would have been 84,600 KM which would Not give a good impression for a car when it may have to be sold off and that too at the end of 5 years. Hence price difference wise, there is a huge difference which does not justifies the diesel advantage for a normal user. You will start to gain advantage after minimum 6 years when the odometer would have become close to 90,000 km. At this mileage, I am sure that the diesel would require much maintenance which is time consuming as well as costly. Besides Petrol Swift is silent and a breeze to run. In speeds also, Petrol is faster however Diesel is much torquier. But for a normal person who just wants to go from point A to point B in comfort, then the Diesel does not offers any additional advantage. True Diesel has lesser gear shifts, but then Swift petrol gears are softer and it would just take a bit of being used to. Besides in cities there is no possibility of maximizing speeds. IMHO if a person is really looking for Diesel Cost advantage, then Indica Crdi would also be a good option as it would cost lesser also. Finance cost @ 14% these days is also included in above analysis. You can also assume that the Swift Lxi can be upgraded with normal accessories like fog lights, wheel caps etc. Also Swift Petrol has a time tested Esteem engine which has a life of 10 years at least and trouble free. You know it. But Swift Diesel's Fiat engine has latest awarded engine. However it has to prove itself which I hope it will be able to do it.

Besides a user mentioned that he got a mileage of only 14 kmpl. Even if he was not using good Diesel, average mileage can not be more than 19 kmpl

Swift Petrol also has good mileage. If driven properly. It can also return close to 15 kmpl if your driving is also on highways for 60% of the time.

Diesel cars also are a bit of threat to asthma patients. - NRDC Press Archive: Study Says Diesel Exhaust May Cause Asthma
Now that exposes a whole new dimension to the Diesel advantage.

Overall this is just a financial analysis of the Diesel. It does not aims to undermine the advantages of the Diesel Swift which has an award winning Engine. However the price difference is too much, including additional price increases coupled with long waiting periods and future releases of Logan Diesel, Aveo Diesel, Santro Diesel, Getz Diesel, Indica Crdi etc will give huge competition at a later stage.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Tech : 24th March 2007 at 16:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks