Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2007, 16:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Actually, one thing going in Hyundai's favour is that their diesel is their own product and they do not have to pay any royalties to a third party unlike Maruti (Maybe HMIL pays some royalty to hyundai Korea- but that is ghar ki baat- they can always reach some understanding). Maruti is constrained by the royalties it has to pay to Fiat.

Hence hyundai could theoretically undercut or at least match the swift in terms of the diesel pricing.

Swift and getz at the same price.....I know which one i would buy!
Old 24th January 2007, 16:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
With recent price cuts Getz costs almost same as swift in similar trim give or take 10K.
With Current discounts a Fully loaded Swift with ABS, Alloys & Climate control costs very close to the non ABS, non Alloy, No climate control model(2nd top most model) So its still a lot bang for buck than Getz.

If they are similar priced then those who want a MUL car & also like Swift looks wise will go for Swift & thise who want more space will go for Getz.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th January 2007 at 16:55.
Old 24th January 2007, 17:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Actually, one thing going in Hyundai's favour is that their diesel is their own product and they do not have to pay any royalties to a third party unlike Maruti
I am not too sure about that. My information is that Hyundai sources its engines from "Detroit Diesel".
Old 24th January 2007, 17:03   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the pricing is 70000+ on the diesel, which is, frankly speaking not a good deal if Hyundai brings the getz at about 30-50,000 above the petrol model.
Consider that most common-rails or the equivalent diesel technology are priced over lac on their petrol counter-parts. The Swift JTD is no compromise. Its pretty fast and will have the mileage to match.

Someone mentioned that Maruti has not given credit to fiat on their website. Well, they havent on the car either. Open the hood and there is no FIAT logo.
Old 24th January 2007, 17:33   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I am not too sure about that. My information is that Hyundai sources its engines from "Detroit Diesel".
your information "was correct" as for accent crdi. The newer ones are made by hyundai(Verna has a hyundai engine).
Old 24th January 2007, 17:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone mentioned that Maruti has not given credit to fiat on their website. Well, they havent on the car either. Open the hood and there is no FIAT logo.
Why will they give ? If they give, it shows they dont have the technology and are licensing from some-one. This will incline the prospective buyer to look for the other products from that credit holder.

Most of the mobile phones now a days use the complete technology of some other company and they are placing only plastic case over it with their own name. If otherwise is done, licensee will be no-where on the brand image..

For the average indian buyer, this does not matter at all and looks only for mileage, brand image, *** etc.. and not what is present under the hood (meaning, words)
Old 24th January 2007, 17:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Nope. Detroit diesel was the company engaged by Hyundai to manufacture their Crdi engine. The engine is owned by Hyundai
Old 24th January 2007, 17:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

I think it will easily sell around 2500-3000 a month. Tata Indica Turbo better watchout as this one is far superior to the latter when it comes to engineering. Hyundai Getz , and Palio Multi better join the race before Swift JTD vanishes into the horizon.
Old 24th January 2007, 17:52   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedometer View Post
i guess this car might sell well ,but only till Fiat or Tata dont come u with this engine in their upcoming small cars.
Once that is out,they will definitely be able to price their cars lower than the maruti diesels as ,the latter will definitely be paying premium for using their engines.
Dude even if Fiat come out with the same engine on Palio/punto other cars, I dont think they have lower production costs than Swift or any other Maruti car as a fact of the matter. Maruti will be able to match the price of any other manufacturer currently in India or those coming into India in the near future...
Old 24th January 2007, 18:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Dude even if Fiat come out with the same engine on Palio/punto other cars, I dont think they have lower production costs than Swift or any other Maruti car as a fact of the matter. Maruti will be able to match the price of any other manufacturer currently in India or those coming into India in the near future...
Fiat alone will not be able to match Maruti's price tag, but if Tata and Fiat produce the engines jointly as is being planned, they might close in on Maruti's figure. But when will they be able to do that? That is the big question. I do not think Fiat can start providing 1.3 JTD right now with the face-lifted Palio (I am assuming that they have plans of plonking this engine in Palio). This might very well take a year from now.

Hyundai now is under immense pressure to get its Getz CRDi.

Till any of these are launched, Swift Diesel will have made enough numbers. I am sure Suzuki is banking on this. Rest assured, once the other products come into picture, we can expect a lot of discounts on Swift Diesel. They are sure to cut into Swift's profits.
Old 24th January 2007, 19:22   #56
Team-BHP Support

Tata is already putting in DICOR in the indigo range. So no hope for Fiat 1.3 on Tata.
Tatas will want to put 1.4 DICOR on the indicas and indigos to cut cost.
As for the indica Turbo, in a similar spec to swift it costs around 4.15 which is a whopping 80,000 cheaper than the swift.
If indica DICOR comes at same price as current turbo then swift will have a fight on its hands. Nothing new for Maruti, but its for the first time in the history of Indian automobile that the Tata's small car diesel powress is being challenged.
Old 24th January 2007, 19:50   #57
BHPian

should be interesting to c how the NVH levels and performance of the engine is...Is the engine a normally aspirated one or a turbo diesel???
Old 24th January 2007, 19:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

Its a turbo

From MUL site

Quote:
TURBOCHARGER AND INTERCOOLER COMBINATION
• Efficient combustion • Higher torque • Cleaner emissions
5 STEP MULTI INJECTION COMMON RAIL SYSTEM @1400 BAR
• Better fuel combustion • Optimized NVH
DOUBLE OVER HEAD CAMSHAFT (DOHC)
• Precise & quick valve operation
CHAIN DRIVE TIMING SYSTEM WITH AUTO TENSIONER
• Maintenance free for the entire engine life • Precise valve timing
16 VALVE CYLINDER HEAD
• Improves breathing • Better fuel combustion • Cleaner emissions COOLED EGR SYSTEM
• Cooled exhaust gas recirculation • Cleaner emissions
ALUMINIUM BED PLATE
• Reduced engine vibration • Minimum noise
GREEN OIL FILTER
• Environmentally friendly • Easy to maintain

DDiS - SUPERIOR COMMON RAIL DIRECT INJECTION TECHNOLOGY•
TURBOCHARGER AND INTERCOOLER COMBINATION • 5-STEP MULTI INJECTION • COMPACT 1.3 LITRE DOHC ENGINE•
CLASS BEATING TORQUE OF 190 NM AND POWER OF 75 BHP • HIGHLY FUEL EFFICIENT
Old 24th January 2007, 21:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, one thing going in Hyundai's favour is that their diesel is their own product and they do not have to pay any royalties to a third party unlike Maruti (Maybe HMIL pays some royalty to hyundai Korea- but that is ghar ki baat- they can always reach some understanding). Maruti is constrained by the royalties it has to pay to Fiat.
The engine[Fiat multijet/JTD] is co-developed by GM and Fiat and GM is an equal stake holder in the same.That is the reason there is no talk about fiat by Maruti.

Quote:
Ownership of the Fiat JTD design is shared with GM as part of a settlement of the failed merger between the two..
Source wikipedia
GM is the seventh largest shareholder in Suzuki.
Old 24th January 2007, 21:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Maruti will be able to match the price of any other manufacturer currently in India or those coming into India in the near future...
Why is it so?. Detailed explanation would help me to understand

Most Viewed