Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2007, 13:19   #121
Senior - BHPian

Diesels have captured 35% market share in India.

Compact diesels == 11-12%[Indica was the only option so far]

High end diesel sedans == 40%[Even the rich are conscious about fuel bills]

Source: Maruti
Old 27th January 2007, 13:27   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Thats what i am saying..

I know Tech's calculation is correct...

But, its not that simple making the 'public' (including my father as mentioned above) understand that fact so easily...
Then you should have bought INDICA instead of WagonR. Why did you buy wagon R?
Old 27th January 2007, 13:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

NDTV car and bike show reports an overall mileage of about 22.3kmpl[city+highway] with AC on.

PS: I think the reviewer also was complaining about the engine noise[did not get what he was saying clearly since i was attending a phonecall at the same moment] getting louder with an increase in the number of kilometers run.
Old 27th January 2007, 14:10   #124
BHPian

Poll Please???

Mods, why don't you add a poll, something like this:

Would you buy the Swift Diesel or Petrol?

Option 1: Yes, i would buy the Diesel, enjoy the Torque, save on Fuel and break-even, maybe after 2.5 years (to be fair)

Option 2: No, i would rather buy the Petrol, enjoy redlining, save around Rs.1 Lakh and maybe use that for accessories or modding

What say?
Old 27th January 2007, 15:46   #125
Max
BHPian

I say go for diesel. Say even if you don't break even till next 2 years but happiness of saving fuel bills is more then what you will pay extra initially.

Take an example, say you have planned yatra to shirdi and you own swift petrol, you will be paying 100% more (nearly) on petrol when compared to diesel swift, this may not heart your pocket in long run but psychologically you will feel more comfortable spending less on your fuel bills.

edit: Man is party animal. We want to travel more and visit more places but fuel costs really put us back many times. I had realized this lots of times.

Last edited by Max : 27th January 2007 at 15:53.
Old 27th January 2007, 16:24   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
Then you should have bought INDICA instead of WagonR. Why did you buy wagon R?
I hope you dont mind me expressing my opinion...

But Indica has a long way to go before i consider it in the list of modern diesel cars...

My neighbour had an Indica.. After seeing what all he went through... Nope... Indica has a long way to go...

And... The only other option in the segment was wagonR Duo... If you read my earlier post, my monthly running is only close to 500 kms... So, 'technically', the extra cost is not justified...
Old 27th January 2007, 16:46   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you dont mind me expressing my opinion...

But Indica has a long way to go before i consider it in the list of modern diesel cars...

My neighbour had an Indica.. After seeing what all he went through... Nope... Indica has a long way to go...

And... The only other option in the segment was wagonR Duo... If you read my earlier post, my monthly running is only close to 500 kms... So, 'technically', the extra cost is not justified...
No not at all. I did not mind. In fact I niether had Indiaca nor WagonR and I myself do not like Indica as a car. As per general openion (expert also), if you have not much running then you should stick on petrol only. This is a thumb rule. Othewise everybody would be having diesel car if the fuel cost was the only consideration. No offence.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 27th January 2007 at 16:51.
Old 27th January 2007, 18:42   #128
Senior - BHPian

So to summarize (it for layman folks like me):
If your monthly commute would be less than 2K kms, it doesnt make sense to go in for a Diesel. Right?
Old 27th January 2007, 23:40   #129
BHPian

Cost comparison of diesel Vdi/petrol Vxi swift

Here is a simple cost comparison of diesel Vdi/petrol Vxi swift

Petrol Swift Diesel Swift
Mileage in Kmpl 13.5 20

Assuming the car runs for 12000 kms per year.

No. of ltrs is 12000/Mileage of the car.

Rate of petrol Rate of Diesel Ltrs of Petrol Ltrs of diesel
Year 1 55 35 890 600
Year 2 60 40 890 600
Year 3 65 45 890 600

Cost of petrol Cost of diesel
Year 1 49000 21000
Year 2 53400 24000
Year 3 58000 27000
---------------------------------------------
Total 160400 72000

Petrol Swift Diesel Swift
On road price 490000 565000
bangalore

Discount 20000 0
-------------------------------------------------------
Total Cost 470000 565000
of Car

Cost of fuel 160000 72000
for 3 years

Normal Services 15000 30000
cost for
3 years
------------------------------------------------------
Total cost of 645000 667000
ownership

Resale value 250000 370000
after 3 years
-----------------------------------------------------
Total 395000 297000
Expenditure

Resale value is calculated assuming
>The price of the car remains the same after 3 years
>Diesel swift depreciating at 13% year on year
>Petrol swift depreciating at 20% year on year

In the end considering everything we end up saving almost a lac in the
case of diesel in 3 years.

PS: Some of the figures are rounded for easier calculation.

Conan
Old 28th January 2007, 00:04   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
tech your figures are great, with one flaw, the extra 15000 quoted.
First 2 years are going to be free due to warranty, and after that too why should diesel take so much more.
I drive a diesel indica, and the extra repair cost which I can attribute to the diesel engine over these 75000kms is approximately 2000rs for repairs and 5000rs for more frequent services.

All other faliures have been regarding electricals etc., no way related to the engine.
So for 20,000kms a year a better number for extra maintainance costs, even if you want to be on the high side is 2000rs.

Add to that the EMI angle, in this segment as most people buy with loan, as mentioned in previous posts, the diesel swift works out to be cheaper even if you take 16kmpl
@tsk1979
I think it is now becoming like peeling off the skin of hair by doing basic maths for finding when to go in for a diesel and when to not. But let's work it out. The below is a good analysis based on the financial costing and benefit analysis of Petrol and Diesel. It may not be 100% accurate but it gives a good idea about the underlying calculations.

Also Swift has latest Engine by Maruti, hence the premium for it. Any repairs for it will likely cost higher. Also no road side mechanic will be that much confident for opening Swift Diesel's engine. Indica is another matter all together. It's maintenance costs are definately less. But for Swift, costs are expected to be higher and I have kept a good margin for this including normal repairs etc. That's what I feel.

Also I have assumed a lesser overall mileage of Swift Diesel at 16 kmpl to have a more realistic idea. Interest which could have been earned had the money not been paid as EMIs is also included at around 20% of total interest paid over 5 yrs say 70,000 for Lxi and 80,000 for Ldi. Hence the net cost of Interest earned which was lost has been included. It has been assumed same for both variants for simplicity's sake.

Below are updated calculations :-

Hence if the usage is high about 20000 km p.a. then it will take a little above 3.3 yrs to recover the total investment. However still during a time span of 5 yrs, you'll save Rs. 74,200. But don't spend the savings on a LCD TV

Assuming a life span of 10 yrs for the Swift, the savings rise to Rs. 301,000/- Now that's serious money.

@smokie
Below is an estimate about the cost of ownership for a scenario about a high usage of about 20,000 k.m. p.a. Since the benefits of Diesel will be had after a couple of years hence Diesel does turns out to be cheaper eventually. Hence for making ownership cost same for Petrol and Diesel, we have to limit it by a time span of say 5 yrs. So for a 5 yrs time span, if for high usage of 1680 k.m. per month, you'll have to run 2322.22 k.m. in a Diesel to justify same cost. This is for Swift Lxi vs Swift Ldi.

For similar scenario of Swift Vxi vs Swift Ldi, a Diesel usage of 2803 k.m. per month vs 1680 k.m. for Petrol justifies same cost for a 5 yrs span.

The calculations are quite complex only for high usage but just to prove the point. Lot of assumptions are used and can be challenged by others but I think that the maths of the Petrol vs Diesel for Swift is quite close as per above calculations.

Definately is the usage is less, then the Petrol makes a better buy as it is almost 1 lac cheaper.

Sorry to confuse you all with the above calculations. Haa Haa !!! But they can help you in deciding.

Last edited by Tech : 28th January 2007 at 00:23.
Old 28th January 2007, 14:15   #131
Senior - BHPian

A little Off topic from what this thread is about. I don't know how many of you noticed the ticker tape on TV news channels showing " Maruti launches India's most fuel efficient diesel car - Swift diesel." Obviously, it's sponsered by MUL but I would like to know how every company, openly and unbashedly, makes such claims about their cars. Do we have any official testing authority like EnerGuide in North America? To my knowledge we don't. Some companies put a "star" and in the fine print quote OD or ACI figures. We all know how unbaised these magazines are. As far as MUL's claim goes, they are not even bothereing to quote any magazines! This IMO is very unfair because the company that's good in marketing wins.
Old 28th January 2007, 14:57   #132
Team-BHP Support

Feels like i just opened my maths notebook... (And, i am really bad at that)

All those who wants to buy diesel, buy diesel... And all those who wants to buy, petrol, buy petrol... Problem solved...
Old 28th January 2007, 16:19   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Feels like i just opened my maths notebook... (And, i am really bad at that)

All those who wants to buy diesel, buy diesel... And all those who wants to buy, petrol, buy petrol... Problem solved...
Now this is a practical answer... with Crazy Driver.

1. A person who wants one time investment and do not want to spend much on recurring expenses he will go for diesel whether he drive 15KM per day.

2. A person who wants to save the money on car initial cost and is easy to go with recurring expenses will sure go for petrol (include me in this).
Old 28th January 2007, 19:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

Hey you are right Amit I noticed that ticker type ad in few channels, MUL is company which is very good in marketing, Swift D may be fuel efficient
but no official figures on how much it returns..

But blindly they put ad saying most fuel efficient car Swift D and government don't take action against such meaningless ads.

This is for sure Swift D is too costly affair except for its look. MUL launched it in a hurry because it wanted make it available in the market before much talked Logan debuts. I am sure by the time Logan is launched one can expect discounts for Swift D. Thats why MUL wins big time for its great tactics nothing else..

If Indica had better looks it would atracted non taxi segment too! Swift has adavntage for its looks and MUL badge and good refined engine (I think so).

Ravi.
Old 28th January 2007, 20:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Petrol is 47 in ND ??! We pay 52.3 here in Karnataka
I pay Rs.46.12/litre

Most Viewed