Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 13:52   #346
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlaankush View Post
Yes, Ecosport has 1.5 litre engine against 1.2 L engine in Nexon. But their max power and max torque are almost similar. 121 BHP (Ecosport) against 118 BHP (Nexon) & 149 NM (Ecosport) against 170 NM (Nexon).

In my personal opinion, when connected cars provide me features like remote engine immobilizer etc, I would surely prefer it. It is as good as an insurance policy, if not better.
I am not looking at paper specs here sir. If you want to go by those then it's your choice.

The way I see it the Ecosport engine doesn't suffer from any lag or hesitation at city speeds. The TQ gearbox is beautifully mated to that engine.

Also, both the engine and gearbox are more reliable (by design) than the equivalent in Nexon. Nexon has its advantages in lightly more mileage, that slight kick when the turbo spools and replacement cost for AMT transmission.

Yes connected car features make you go wow at the beginning but short of the car locator I don't see any of the others as critical. Besides, any decent gps locator can provide the same functionality. You can always add it aftermarket.

Most people cant do anything with the engine aftermarket (save for the enthusiast community) and certainly not the gearbox.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:36   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Disclaimer - I'm not trying to prove one car is better - just bringing perspective in a discussion that seems to be going to and fro. I myself love the EcoSport a lot but own the Nexon. Both have their USPs (The sheer quality & feel of holding an EcoSport's steering wheel for instance!) and happy customers. One of the toughest things to do is to pick one as choice between these two.
Quote:
Ecosport offers AT in petrol version only so it wasn't going to be on my radar anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
It also offers a proper auto gearbox and 1.5L engine. Any day better than the 1.2L in Nexon in my opinion for daily commute (unless one is obsessed with mileage).
Well the OP did mention that petrols are not in consideration & EcoSport doesn't have AT in diesel. So whether its a proper AT or AMT - doesn't really matter in this use case IMO.
Between the 1.5 TDCi & Revotorq, I'd pick the Tata. Excellent driving dynamics & unbelievable mileage.

One significant item where the Nexon is better is practicality. Upward opening hatch, significantly more rear seat space are very important points where its better than the EcoSport. So for those who need these - it makes sense. For example - in my parking slot, I can't park a car that has a sideways opening rear hatch. Simply no space for it.

And - hardly anyone buying a sub4m car will be ready to say outright that he/she doesn't care about mileage.
Quote:
Ford has also introduced this connected car nonsense since people seem to be obsessed with it these days. I am not sure if it is there in the AT variant though.
I personally don't fancy all the connected car gizmos. I don't quite find them useful either. However - quite a lot of people seem to find them useful. Because you and I don't like it - it doesn't become "nonsense" really. Nor does other people's liking become "obsession". To all their own priorities.

If it were me - I'd pick more airbags over the connected car - yes.
Quote:
Also, both the engine and gearbox are more reliable (by design) than the equivalent in Nexon.
Without statistical data to support with numbers, this falls into speculation really. It can go either way.
Quote:
Most people cant do anything with the engine aftermarket (save for the enthusiast community) and certainly not the gearbox.
That's indeed true. +1.

Last edited by Reinhard : 12th February 2020 at 14:47.
Reinhard is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 15:12   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we are missing a major point while comparing XUV 3oo with facelifted Nexon. XUV 3oo is BS4 and Nexon is BS6. I expect a similar rise in price of XUV 3oo (& Hyundai Venue for that matter) when they come out with their BS6 versions. We must consider that BS6 version of Nexon is priced at par with BS4 versions of XUV 3oo and Venue. So it is still VFM.

Maruti came out with BS6 version of Brezza (Petrol). But it is more plain than vanilla and no other manufacturer is out with their BS6 version of CSUV.
BS6 Ecosport Diesel was launched at a small premium of 13K against 60-70K premium of Nexon. The top spec manual diesel retails for 14.47 lacs here in Bangalore while the Nexon Manual top spec diesel is 15.22. While XUV 300 might continue to retain tag of most expensive sub 4M CSUV, Nexon has turned tables.
Old 12th February 2020, 15:42   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
BS6 Ecosport Diesel was launched at a small premium of 13K against 60-70K premium of Nexon. The top spec manual diesel retails for 14.47 lacs here in Bangalore while the Nexon Manual top spec diesel is 15.22. While XUV 300 might continue to retain tag of most expensive sub 4M CSUV, Nexon has turned tables.
For now I'm inclined to believe that Ford has absorbed some of the BSVI impact to keep customers interested & to get a good visibility for what is otherwise an ageing car compared to peers.
Will be interesting to watch over next 2 quarters if the price gradually increases after the initial blow is cushioned.

IMO - Tata should have done similar things for the Nexon, Altroz & BSVI Harrier. Absorbed some cost initially for getting good sales to set the ball rolling. Introductory prices is standard play now a days.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 23:01   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Well the OP did mention that petrols are not in consideration & EcoSport doesn't have AT in diesel. So whether its a proper AT or AMT - doesn't really matter in this use case IMO.
My initial post was due to the below post from the OP.

Quote:
Still, top trim of Ecosport (AT, petrol) is abt 43k costlier than Nexon. It does offer 6 airbags but Nexon provides 'connected car' feature. I don't think there is any other major difference between the two. So still Nexon is vfm (personal opinion).
Quote:
Between the 1.5 TDCi & Revotorq, I'd pick the Tata. Excellent driving dynamics & unbelievable mileage.
This would have been true for me too. But with the BS6 price increase I don't think that is the case anymore (yes maybe Ford might increase the prices of the diesel variant later but I am not that sure of this since the same engine does duty on the Aspire, Figo and Freestyle and increasing their prices by upwards of 1L would make them compete with premium hatchbacks).

Quote:
One significant item where the Nexon is better is practicality. Upward opening hatch, significantly more rear seat space are very important points where its better than the EcoSport. So for those who need these - it makes sense. For example - in my parking slot, I can't park a car that has a sideways opening rear hatch. Simply no space for it.
Agreed with this part.

Quote:
And - hardly anyone buying a sub4m car will be ready to say outright that he/she doesn't care about mileage.
Well with the petrol versions of both cars is the difference really that much. Besides, it would be better if Indians started looking at mileage as a whole rather than as a singular component.
  • The TQ on the Ecosport is smoother compared to the AMT on the Nexon. I am ready to compromise on at least 1 to 2 kmpl here.
  • The 1.5L on the Ecosport is more responsive at lower rpm's. This is where most owners would be during their daily commutes. I am ready to compromise on 1kmpl here.

All this is of course personal preference and I don't expect others to agree. Yes, I understand that India is a mileage conscious country but for me a 1.5L TQ car that weighs >1200kgs and provides 9 to 10 kmpl should be ok.

Quote:
I personally don't fancy all the connected car gizmos. I don't quite find them useful either. However - quite a lot of people seem to find them useful. Because you and I don't like it - it doesn't become "nonsense" really. Nor does other people's liking become "obsession". To all their own priorities.
Agreed. It was obviously just my personal opinion. Though, you should have seen it in the context of the rest of my post. I only tried to point out that the connected stuff can even be done aftermarket. But the better engine and gearbox are something you can get only from factory.

Quote:
Without statistical data to support with numbers, this falls into speculation really. It can go either way.
Without statistical data I would depend on Engine and gearbox configuration to hedge my bets. NA and TQ at least in my eyes are always going to be more reliable than a Turbo and AMT.
JithinR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 13:29   #351
Senior - BHPian

Nexon for police looks damn good!

Whoever has imagined it has nailed it! Reminds me of fleets from Dubai police cars.

https://www.rushlane.com/new-tata-ne...x4iTDjchILUiEU
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-b0d6272c2cda418fbddddfb0b55fce72.jpeg  

Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-2e1af83f2a954fef83e6c31961394cee.jpeg  

gururajrv is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 16:58   #352
Senior - BHPian

I am hearing few more incidents of Tata not willing to deliver Nexon BS6. Why bother launch so early when you cannot deliver? Hasn't there been enough testing?
Old 17th February 2020, 19:25   #353
BHPian

Quote:
I am hearing few more incidents of Tata not willing to deliver Nexon BS6. Why bother launch so early when you cannot deliver? Hasn't there been enough testing?
I believe this has nothing to do with 'testing' but something to do with their diesel BS6 cars. I read a post somewhere on the new Harrier thread which said that its user manual states to use BS6 fuel only. More so, I had called a local dealer 2 days back to check on the face lifted Nexon BS6 model where he stated that the petrol model is available in display and for TD but the diesel is not yet and could take time; may by early March. Additionally, I haven't seen the new Harrier yet for display and TD in two of the nearest TATA showrooms in my area which leads me to think that they might want to deliver BS6 diesel cars only when the BS6 diesel availability starts i.e. April onward.
T.S. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 19:57   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
I believe this has nothing to do with 'testing' but something to do with their diesel BS6 cars.
That's true for the most part for diesel vehicles since petrol is available at all outlets. I just came out of the showroom at Jaipur after booking my XMA-P variant. Though they did not have a registered test drive vehicle (facelift) the SA and showroom manager were kind enough to let me drive a vehicle that is owned by the proprietor of Techwheels. I'm just curious to know if there is any difference between the current and pre-facelift version post the 10 BHP gain. I guess I will have to wait till I get to lay my hands on my own vehicle.

Since this will be my first auto vehicle, I'm sure the AMT will live up-to my reasonable expectations. Additionally with age, I'm getting into that sedate driving mode and this decently tuned AMT should serve its purpose. They did not have XMA-P in stock and have ordered it from TATA. Tentative delivery should be 10-12 days from now and that should give me enough time to get my loan sanctioned. No cash discounts were offered except for free mats, mudflaps and a set of scuff plates. More than anything else, the experience at showroom and behavior of my sales advisor won me over. I've decided to invest in 2+3 years extended warranty package but totally confused if I should buy AMC or P2P. My annual running is anywhere between 8-12k so unable to make up my mind regarding AMC/P2P. Any suggestions or thoughts?
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 22:44   #355
BHPian

Guys, today when I spoke to one of the sales rep of Malayalam motors (Vytila, Kochi), he mentioned there isn't any hike in power for Nexon petrol and they have email confirmation from Tata that new Nexon is indeed 110PS itself. However, when I spoke to customer care, they said power had been hiked to 120PS. As per sales person, there are multiple other typos in online broucher. For example, rear defogger is mentioned as standard across all variants. It's not present in the base variant. The question is, how do we confirm the actual power of the engine? Any email address that we can rely on? Between, we friends took test drive of new Nexon and didn't felt any notable difference in power.
Old 23rd February 2020, 05:22   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
As per sales person, there are multiple other typos in online broucher. For example, rear defogger is mentioned as standard across all variants. It's not present in the base variant. The question is, how do we confirm the actual power of the engine? Any email address that we can rely on? Between, we friends took test drive of new Nexon and didn't felt any notable difference in power.
Most SA's aren't aware of the BHP hike in petrol version. I say this with experience since I have spoken to 2-3 dealers before booking the XMA variant at Jaipur. To top it off, their arrogance to accept the change leaves me baffled. Online brochure clearly states that rear defogger availability starts from XZ+. I have no expectations related to this 10 BHP hike and the driving experience should more or less be the same. I somehow felt the engine to be a little more refined than the outgoing model but it could just be a placebo effect since I could only idle it and wasn't allowed to drive.
Old 27th February 2020, 10:02   #357

I'm in the process of buying a car in CSUV segment. I have finally settled on Nexon XZA+ (O) AMT petrol variant. But I'm surprised to know that Tata hasn't started the delivery of top variant yet. As per dealers I'm in touch with, it may still take 6-8 weeks.

Anyone here having any news about this?

All TATA dealers are still charging Handling and/or logistic charges in the range of 8k-10k. A dealer in Punjab is further charging a "Possession Tax". Haggle a bit, tell them it is illegal, talk to their customer care and it will be waived off. But I'm still impressed with their nerve to justify it.
Old 27th February 2020, 19:25   #358
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in the process of buying a car in CSUV segment. I have finally settled on Nexon XZA+ (O) AMT petrol variant. But I'm surprised to know that Tata hasn't started the delivery of top variant yet. As per dealers I'm in touch with, it may still take 6-8 weeks.

Anyone here having any news about this?

All TATA dealers are still charging Handling and/or logistic charges in the range of 8k-10k. A dealer in Punjab is further charging a "Possession Tax". Haggle a bit, tell them it is illegal, talk to their customer care and it will be waived off. But I'm still impressed with their nerve to justify it.
6-8 weeks? What are they smoking? Petrol deliveries are on and I bought my XMA-P facelift yesterday at Jaipur and saw another top end petrol manual getting delivered just before I took mine. All dealers in Jaipur quoted on road price which included 8500 or 9500 worth of handling charge but I easily got it waived off from Techwheels Jaipur and that's where I bought my car from. I'd recommend you to approach other dealerships and politely request them to waive off the charge citing court orders. Share a order copy with them as necessary. They obviously wont have ready stock and you can expect your vehicle to arrive post 8-10 days once the dealership confirms the order. I booked mine on 17th Feb and got it delivered on 26th Feb. My experience with the whole process at dealership was absolutely topnotch.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 17:29. Reason: removing spacing from quote
k.sumit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 08:39   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
6-8 weeks? What are they smoking? Petrol deliveries are on and I bought my XMA-P facelift yesterday at Jaipur and saw another top end petrol manual getting delivered just before I took mine.
When you say top end petrol was it xz+ or xz+(o)?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 17:29. Reason: editing for readabillity
Old 28th February 2020, 15:34   #360
BHPian

Quote:
When you say top end petrol was it xz+ or xz+(o)?
I honestly didn't check if it had a sunroof or not since thats the only differentiating factor on the exterior. I was completing my paperwork when this delivery happened so I only had a glimpse of it. I will try to check with my SA and get this info.
k.sumit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks