Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2019, 19:56   #76
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
The petrol part of the market will be hypercompetitive and the current Nexon petrol may not be able to stand up without substantial improvement. Petrol Nexon did well when there was no petrol Venue and no petrol Brezza, and Honda was sleeping at the wheel with WRV packaging vs pricing. We are now in the era of turbo petrols and petrol-electric hybrids. This intermediate stage will probably last 5-7 years, before battery EVs become price competitive.

Makes sense but now that the government has declared it's stance on the issue, that EVs and ICs can co-exist perfectly together, I feel the day that we start seeing mass market true hybrids, has been pushed for good couple of years ( not blaming the govt, I actually support their decision ), so for people that have a high daily mileage, diesels are still the way to go, imo.

Yes, the 1.2 needs to be reworked now that we have options like the venue T-GDi on the market, especially its low end.

Last edited by SaiSW : 18th August 2019 at 20:14.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:29   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Makes sense but now that the government has declared it's stance on the issue, that EVs and ICs can co-exist perfectly together, I feel the day that we start seeing mass market true hybrids, has been pushed for good couple of years ( not blaming the govt, I actually support their decision ), so for people that have a high daily mileage, diesels are still the way to go, imo.

Yes, the 1.2 needs to be reworked now that we have options like the venue T-GDi on the market, especially its low end.
While we were discussing, Suzuki has made their stand public by asking the govt for tax incentives for hybrids and CNG. We will end up with a GST incentive and some form of FAME on hybrids, probably lesser than full battery EVs. I just hope govt grants this while specifying a min electric only range or minimum size of battery, or a min 20% fuel consumption reduction over the same car's petrol variant.

Remember a decent hybrid is nearly 25 year old technology! Toyota unveiled the Prius in 1995 Tokyo Motor Show and launched it commercially in 1997. And we still get nearly useless types like SHVS in 2019. The cost of the hybrid tech and Li batteries has dropped dramatically in these 25 years.
guptad42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 15:23   #78
BHPian

SRK's rendering of the facelifted Tata Nexon.

Source : https://indianautosblog.com/2020-tat...dering-p318220
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-tatanexon2020118e3.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 15:31   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post

I actually didn't like it. Takes away the "Funky" part of Nexon. In fact it will look like this if Tata starts using surplus Hexa bonnets on the Nexon.

Honestly - I'd rather have the Nexon on IMPACT1.0 rather than IMPACT2.0. They better keep cars looking distinct. Tata has tried a "family" look in the past with Indica, Indigo, Aria, Vista, Manza and so on. It did NOT work. The same is the case with VW in India. We don't like family looks.

I like how it looks right now on the road. I'm hoping Tata keeps the overall looks unchanged with only changes in internal designs of headlamps, fog lamps and bumper at most. What the facelift should ideally bring is -
  1. Slightly Larger screen with better interface
  2. Altroz spec steering with better buttons, leather wrap
  3. Cruise control (Everyone seems to want it!)
  4. More airbags
  5. Sufficiently sized Sunroof (Ditto with cruise control above)
  6. BS6 engines from start
  7. Adjustable Lumbar support for front seats
  8. Xenon HID headlamps in top trim
  9. An AWD
  10. Connected features with eSIM
  11. Wind tone horn - loud
  12. Good quality leather seats in top trim
  13. Auto headlamps & wipers (again simply because masses want it & I don't want Nexon to miss out!)

Any 6 of these will do .

Last edited by Reinhard : 20th August 2019 at 15:35.
Reinhard is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 15:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Front looks a lot like Jazz.

Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-hondajazzfullfrontview380104.jpg
Old 20th August 2019, 18:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

My main wish list for the Nexon facelift are :

1) 48V Hybrid Petrol engine or atleast option
2) Better tuned AMT or TC
3) Proper Hill Hold Assist
4) Some weight shedding of say 50kgs plus to aid driveability/performance/mileage
5) Slightly lower ride height for better handling
6) Better Ingress/Outgress
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 19:21   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
My main wish list for the Nexon facelift are :

1) 48V Hybrid Petrol engine or atleast option
Amen! Nothing like it. But we can pretty much write it off. Tata isn't even known to be working on a proper Hybrid right now. Let alone it coming in a nominal mild facelift. Thats something for a comprehensive product generation change.

Quote:
2) Better tuned AMT or TC
Yeah would make sense.

Quote:
3) Proper Hill Hold Assist
I wouldn't know. Never needed it with any of my 4 cars. But yeah makes sense. Will be a useful feature. Far more useful than cruise control perhaps. Good point.

Quote:
4) Some weight shedding of say 50kgs plus to aid driveability/performance/mileage
I presume you are talking about petrol? Because in Diesel the car already has supreme driveability, mileage and performance! Any lighter - the car will get bouncier. And I'd rather have a heavier & strong body at the expense of some mileage.

Quote:
5) Slightly lower ride height for better handling
Oh my god please no! For once we have a car that can travel over our pathetic deplorable roads without scraping or breaking anything. We don't have many roads where we can go corner carving anyway. For everyday commute the ride height & GC are a huge boon. I'd rather they retain it. Please. For handling et al - EcoSport is good!

Quote:
6) Better Ingress/Outgress
That won't be possible unless there is actual change to body structure / panels. I don't think at just 2 years of age the car will see such drastic changes. Although I found no issues with the ingress/egress. Seems to be okay. Or is it not for shorter folk? I'm a bit taller than average.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 23:58   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess its getting ready for the festive season. October is when we see some strong new / facelift launches.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 08:30   #84
BHPian

Quote:

The thing is, the front of the Nexon was never it's weakness.
Actually it was it's greatest strength in terms of design, the W-I-D-E muscular wheel arches when looked from the front looked fantastic.

It was always the overdone rear that was it's problem, I don't know why Tata is trying to fix something that isn't broken.

But coming to the point, I think if it turns out as this render, I'll be completely okay with it as Tata will not have done away it's design USP, which are those muscular widebody like wheel arches and still looks pretty sharp, but please Tata, do reduce the clutter at the rear and please facelift the rear thoroughly. The rear is where the car ends up looking like a hatchback on stilts, the small taillamps, small windscreen. Changing the windscreen size may not be feasible as that would require major structural changes, but I'm pretty sure a bigger set of taillamps would do the job just fine.

Last edited by SaiSW : 21st August 2019 at 08:35.
SaiSW is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 11:08   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
The thing is, the front of the Nexon was never it's weakness.
Actually it was it's greatest strength in terms of design, the W-I-D-E muscular wheel arches when looked from the front looked fantastic.

It was always the overdone rear that was it's problem, I don't know why Tata is trying to fix something that isn't broken.

But coming to the point, I think if it turns out as this render, I'll be completely okay with it as Tata will not have done away it's design USP, which are those muscular widebody like wheel arches and still looks pretty sharp, but please Tata, do reduce the clutter at the rear and please facelift the rear thoroughly. The rear is where the car ends up looking like a hatchback on stilts, the small taillamps, small windscreen. Changing the windscreen size may not be feasible as that would require major structural changes, but I'm pretty sure a bigger set of taillamps would do the job just fine.
Totally agree. The rear is where Tata needs to focus on for the re-work. They should do away with that busy rear and remove all those ceramic inserts that criss-crosses the rear. That way it will have a cleaner and larger rear profile and will also give it a butch look. The interior also needs to be more cleaner in terms of having a single color tone, rather than having two or three colors.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:16   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
  1. Slightly Larger screen with better interface
    =====
  2. Auto headlamps & wipers (again simply because masses want it & I don't want Nexon to miss out!)

Any 6 of these will do .
Quoting myself. How did I forget 1 crucial item!

Steering reach adjustment in addition to rake!

And its a must at least on XZ & XZ+. Not optional. So 1 slot out of the 6 I mentioned above is now locked. Tata can pick the remaining 5 from the list.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th September 2019 at 16:57. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large post for reply, affects readability esp on mobile devices. Thanks.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 22:32   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Fresh off the streets of Pune, courtesy AutoSpy.

Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-w1.jpg

Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-w2.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 23:14   #88
BHPian

This pic does give a good idea of the visual changes upfront. When is the facelift expected? In this calender year?

With such extensive testing I'm sure there are some good mechanical changes being done. I am hoping for a better AT box above anything else.
curiosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 00:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Fresh off the streets of Pune, courtesy AutoSpy.
The front profile reminds me of the Honda BR-V
porsche_guy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 10:24   #90
BHPian

That's one extensive facelift. Looks Rangeroverish to me.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed