Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2019, 18:11   #61
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh

I had recently tweeted my wish-list on Nexon facelift to Pratap Bose. He had acknowledged the tweet. Prominent among the list were a sharper front end and a proper automatic with diesel. Looks like at least one wish is coming true!!
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:37   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by truezealous View Post
Facelift Nexon looks stunning!

Attachment 1904594

source
I don't think this image is showing any external changes. Its an old one that was used for BS6 & probably new steering wheel testing.

On the outside this mule (the photo was seen earlier in this thread also I think) looks exactly like any existing Nexon would with a camo-wrap.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Isn't a gearbox change highly unlikely for a facelift?
By well tuned I meant better algorithm for the AMT, they have been refining shift logic in my Tigor via software updates, it feels more liveable than before and certainly better than most budget AMT Petrol cars.
giri1.8 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 00:09   #64
BHPian

Is it just me or did anyone get the vibe of a Baby Evoque here?

This design looks WAY better on the Nexon. Definitely improving an already good product.
So with Cruise Control, bigger touchscreen, flat-bottom steering, auto wipers, auto-headlamps - what's left on our practical wish ist?
A better Auto-box - a proper TC. But I doubt that will happen in this platform and at this price point.
'Connected' vehicle features (a-la-venue) - that may make it?
More airbags?

The indicators could be in the DRLs! Like the Harrier. That would be sweet!
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 01:34   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I don't think this image is showing any external changes. Its an old one that was used for BS6 & probably new steering wheel testing.

On the outside this mule (the photo was seen earlier in this thread also I think) looks exactly like any existing Nexon would with a camo-wrap.
I don't get it, I can see that the photo of the camo test mule on the road is just a normal Nexon but the "facelift spied" front end bears no resemblance to the existing design.

So they are going to bring the BS6 Nexon and then facelift it? That seems counterintuitive.
Old 13th August 2019, 09:51   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
So they are going to bring the BS6 Nexon and then facelift it? That seems counterintuitive.
We can pretty safely assume that won't be the case. The picture above - where the existing body-shell Nexon is in disguise - is much older than the latest one that was seen yesterday with different face.

It is more than certain that the older picture represents the phase where they already had the BS6 engine and other components ready & had started the tests. Face of the car doesn't make much difference to the emissions testing as such (unless its so different that it changes the weight and aero characteristics of the car altogether). So that had started already.

Meanwhile the new facelift is also getting ready and as soon as those parts are approved by design teams they are now being tested as well. Certainly the engine & the new face will be married & launched as a single soul at the same moment .
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:47   #67
BHPian

This latest mule seems to be of H2X rather than Nexon. The flat bonnet is one indication. Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565709432.023156.jpg
shravan2k2 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 21:27   #68
BHPian

Rendered by AutoTrend using the latest spy shots -

Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-img_20190815_211752.jpg

Tata Nexon Facelift spied. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.95 lakh-img_20190815_211718.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 22:15   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Rendered by AutoTrend using the latest spy shots
Existing Nexon consists of curved lines & surfaces all over except for few places, but this one with few added straightened lines & surfaces is not looking cohesive. It is looking as if Impact 2.0 philosophy is applied to only a part of the car and rest is left midway.

Last edited by ampere : 15th August 2019 at 23:38.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 00:14   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
This latest mule seems to be of H2X rather than Nexon. The flat bonnet is one indication. Attachment 1904928
And there goes my expectations straight outta the window. I should have known better. I should not have believed indiatoday articles.

Yes man, I think you're correct. It does seem to be spy pics of H2X, it might have been accidentally reported as Nexon facelift pics. :(
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 00:41   #71
Senior - BHPian

The Nexon's window line in light grey looks horrible. I hope the facelift changes it to either body colored or at least black.
Old 17th August 2019, 15:12   #72
BHPian

I am not confident of a BS6 diesel in the price bracket of nexon. So, we may soon be left with a facelifted Nexon but petrol only. The old Nexon has done well with half the sales in petrol, but the facelifted nexon will face a very different bunch of competitors than the old Nexon- with petrol Brezza and petrol Venue.

The design changes are necessary to freshen up Nexon. But, I hope Tata Motors are also looking at:
1. Improvements to power, efficiency and smoothness of the turbo petrol. Tweak the torque to boost low speed city drivability. The Venue 1.0 engine draws more power from a smaller engine, and consumes less fuel.
(Or take the Suzuki-Toyota route and add electric boost, Anyway, I think Suzuki has an ace up its sleeve.)
2. A revised AMT to make Nexon the best practical petrol automatic mini SUV.
3. Add features like cruise control that helps in both comfort and efficiency during long drives. The incremental cost is not much and Nexon should market the suitability for long drives.
4. Sharpen the branding on safety by adding AEB that will be true first in India, even if only offered as option on the top end.
5. Features like sunroof also have demand but adding them as standard raises prices for everyone. Offer them only as options.

Otherwise the risk is that the Nexon will lose out to Brezza and Venue in refinement, drivability and efficiency and that can see the volumes dwindle sharply unless it is far cheaper than the competition.

The Suzuki potential ace up the sleeve - I think the Suzuki Toyota combine is heavily lobbying for hybrids. The govt was rightly adamant on full EVs, but the auto slowdown will force the govt to agree to hybrids as the intermediate stage and give tax incentives in return for a stronger definition of hybrids (min distance in electric mode, or net reduction in fuel consumption etc). If this hunch is right, I think you will get a petrol Brezza with the 1.2L engine (not 1.5) with an electric boost. The electic motor and battery will be larger than Ertiga, giving both a greater boost to drivability and a signigicant reduction in fuel consumption. At a lower price beucause of the tax incentives. The same improved hybrid system (SHVS+) can then go into other Suzuki cars. So, while Suzuki has screwed up Brezza's market by saying diesels will go away and no clear message on new petrol Brezza, they may finally have a great product to launch. And of course, the Brezza interiors will be spruced up.
Old 17th August 2019, 18:06   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Rendered by AutoTrend using the latest spy shots -
This rendering looks very amateurish in my opinion. Any updates from the birdies on this latest design change?
SpideyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 11:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
I am not confident of a BS6 diesel in the price bracket of nexon. So, we may soon be left with a facelifted Nexon but petrol only. The old Nexon has done well with half the sales in petrol, but the facelifted nexon will face a very different bunch of competitors than the old Nexon- with petrol Brezza and petrol Venue.
The diesel is the USP of the Nexon. It's pretty strong and delivers decent fuel efficiency as well. I don't think they will get rid of it.

I hope they don't, because I am looking for a good diesel 2nd car and I am interested by the rumoured additional features that is to come with the facelift, but if they ditch the diesel, I will just go to a Ford or Mahindra showroom instead and they will lose a customer.

Last edited by SaiSW : 18th August 2019 at 11:03.
Old 18th August 2019, 16:52   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
The diesel is the USP of the Nexon. It's pretty strong and delivers decent fuel efficiency as well. I don't think they will get rid of it.

I hope they don't, because I am looking for a good diesel 2nd car and I am interested by the rumoured additional features that is to come with the facelift, but if they ditch the diesel, I will just go to a Ford or Mahindra showroom instead and they will lose a customer.
I agree with you. Diesel Nexon is a very good package, and some mid-life tweaks to it and the AMT tuning can make it even better.

Unfortunately, it is going to depend on the cost of a BS6 diesel engine. If it costs a lac more than now, some people will still buy it but the market will shift more to petrol as the petrol-diesel engine price gap goes wider.

The petrol part of the market will be hypercompetitive and the current Nexon petrol may not be able to stand up without substantial improvement. Petrol Nexon did well when there was no petrol Venue and no petrol Brezza, and Honda was sleeping at the wheel with WRV packaging vs pricing. We are now in the era of turbo petrols and petrol-electric hybrids. This intermediate stage will probably last 5-7 years, before battery EVs become price competitive.

Most Viewed