Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2019, 17:34   #121
BHPian

Re: The diminishing value of C2 sedans (City, Ciaz, Verna et al)

I feel that it's the D segment sedans that serve no purpose anymore. The C sedans are a good entry point into basic luxury.

So, Skoda should bring their D+ flagship, the Superb, with smaller engines at an entry level price point and watch it's sales soar! They sell the 1.4TSI and 1.6TDI internationally - why not in India?
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 21:59   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I feel that it's the D segment sedans that serve no purpose anymore. The C sedans are a good entry point into basic luxury.

So, Skoda should bring their D+ flagship, the Superb, with smaller engines at an entry level price point and watch it's sales soar! They sell the 1.4TSI and 1.6TDI internationally - why not in India?
Then there'd be that constraint of size. The Superb is just way too huge for it to be a replacement of the Octavia. I can't think of any reason why a person would go for the Superb at this (15/18-25 Lacs) price range considering that there are much more compact SUVs available, other than the fact that he just likes it, or needs a weaker engine variant for all his chauffeur-driven needs (which makes no sense to me, since that's what the Superb is meant to be doing up there, as a cheaper-really?- alternative to the Big 3s). Also, you can expect a 50% feature drop, just like the price drop. The Octavia is the perfect bridge between the C2 segment and the upper D segment sedans, but it surely is facing tough competition from these aforementioned SUVs at this price band.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:53   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post

D segment sedans are generally much better in terms of overall build quality, given that most are not manufactured ground-up in India.Its sad that the D segment market has shrunk so much. It should have really been an aspiration to most car buyers upgrading from C1/C2 segments. Sadly, brawn (SUV) wins over beauty and aesthetics.
Old 10th October 2019, 09:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Truly speaking, I love the silhouette of a full size sedan (though it cannot be said for the chopped sub-4 metre ones). Besides the low profile of a Sedan does not induce the same nervousness and body roll as that of a SUV/ MUV. A Ciaz or a City offers plenty of space, a comfortable cabin, loads for features and equipment, huge luggage space and above all a reliable set of machinery.
Second this.

The swooping silhouette of a aerodynamically designed full size sedan is beaten by little else. My City gives me great performance, a creamy and powerful IVTEC engine with a slick shifting gearbox and decently sorted dynamics, not to mention legendary reliability. Practicality aspects : huge space, super comfortable back seat and front seats, clean interiors (nothing flashy) and massive boot space for those times when you need it. If one can manage with tackling bad roads carefully, then there is never a time when I would choose a SUV over a good sedan. My only grouse is that it has a relatively light build, but then again, thats the case with all Japs, so I am not too fussed about it.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 19:41   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

This segment continues to fall and it is now 35%(-) negative growth (Y-O-Y)

October-19 sees CIAZ in the lead wresting it from Honda City.

Name:  CSedan.PNG
Views: 3066
Size:  22.4 KB

Source:Auto Punditz
Old 6th November 2019, 19:59   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This segment continues to fall and it is now 35%(-) negative growth (Y-O-Y)
I am surprised with Yaris sales figures though. It had the best figures for this year.

Name:  sedan_sales_oct19.PNG
Views: 3052
Size:  125.9 KB

Source: http://www.autopunditz.com/

Sale chart of Yaris
Name:  yaris_sales_oct19.PNG
Views: 3063
Size:  29.6 KB
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 21:01   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

The C2 Sedan Segment falls to a negative 46% (Y-O-Y). A slender margin differentiates between the top 3.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 2402
Size:  84.5 KB

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2020, 16:31   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

The segment shows a negative growth of ~ 49%(Y-O-Y).

In December-19, Maruti Suzuki CIAZ is the leader with a new runner up, Skoda RAPID!

Name:  E.PNG
Views: 2006
Size:  62.0 KB

Old 5th January 2020, 16:38   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The segment shows a negative growth of ~ 49%(Y-O-Y).

In December-19, Maruti Suzuki CIAZ is the leader with a new runner up, Skoda RAPID!

Well they were literally throwing their cars away. But I did hear from a Skoda SA from Chennai that a lot of the Rapid Rider deliveries are yet to be completed. Even after 3 months of booking.

Onyx Petrol at 10 lakhs OTR seemed pretty tempting at that time
Old 5th January 2020, 17:19   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post
Onyx Petrol at 10 lakhs OTR seemed pretty tempting at that time
Half a decade back, you could get the top-of-the-range Elegance for less that Rs.10 lakh ex-showroom. This huge jump in price now doesn't really justify a couple of feel-good features that the OEM has put into their decade old cars. Wish they'd hurry up and launch the latest iterations soon (VW Polo/Vento/Skoda Rapid).
Old 24th January 2020, 04:42   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Exactly the position that I found myself in not too many days back.

After test driving the Ecosport and XUV300 extensively over the last few months, I happened to casually test drive the Honda City. It took just a couple of drives to make me realise that the refinement, power and drivability of the iVTEC engine was in a different league altogether, compared to the petrol offerings in the C-SUV segment. .
I felt exactly the same way when I drove a 10 year old City and a top-end Seltos (petrol) recently. Both were not my cars 🙂. The old City continued to wow with its performance and scored well over the new Seltos on comfort and refinement. I would not put down Seltos completely as it appeals more to the heart. It is a looker and loaded with features. That said, I would prefer a C2 sedan anyday. Honda City offers unmatched performance, reliability, and space. It is also the best looking car in this segment IMO. You have made a great choice. Congratulations.

My next car would be a City or a Verna too.
amateurpro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 19:29   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

In a segment that is rapidly losing its sheen, Maruti Suzuki stands tall in Feb-20 sales analysis. The segment shows a negative growth of 49%.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 818
Size:  47.8 KB

Source: Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th March 2020 at 19:31.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks