Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 10:30   #226
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vijayawada-HYD
Posts: 347
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

C5 Aircross looks sublimely brilliant and congruently designed for an SUV - neither overtly aggressive nor just a puny push-off, which is actually good and like a breath of fresh air.

And this is a company that pushes the boundaries of the automobile industry with multiple "first of its kind" milestones like-

"In 1934, the firm established its reputation for innovative technology with the Traction Avant.[4] This was the world's first car to be mass-produced with front-wheel drive, four-wheel independent suspension, as well as unibody construction, omitting a separate chassis, and instead using the body of the car itself as its main load-bearing structure.[5]

In 1954 they produced the world's first hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension system[6] then, in 1955, the revolutionary DS, the first mass-produced car with modern disc brakes[7] and, in 1967, they introduced in several of their models swiveling headlights that allowed for greater visibility on winding roads; "

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn

I hope Citroen took a leaf or 2 from the Kia marketing strategy and I sincerely wish the French to develop a larger consumer base in India - otherwise dominated by Japanese-Korean Giants, unlike their European counterparts and not compromise the structural integrity and safety of their Indian cars.
poised2drive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:02   #227
BHPian
 
fastturtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: KL-38
Posts: 61
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Curious to see if this will be the inevitable death of premium sedans in India, a new breed in our market, CSUV/SUV's with a focus on comfort. With India's growing preference towards CSUV/SUV, Citroen offering one with comfort-oriented (if it lives up to it that is) will leave a mark on the market.
fastturtle10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:15   #228
BHPian
 
S.MJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 624
Thanked: 999 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
It's a good thing they are sharing showrooms.
Could you elaborate or share source, havenít read anything related to Jeep and Citroen sharing showrooms.
S.MJet is offline  
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:56   #229
Senior - BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 1,706 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Could you elaborate or share source, haven’t read anything related to Jeep and Citroen sharing showrooms.
I went to the Jeep dealer to get my Punto serviced and the showroom was being renovated, I thought so and enquired, the lady at the desk said that it was done in preparation for Citroen launch. The floor was being split in half, different themes for each brand and so on.
avira_tk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:25   #230
BHPian
 
ATRONIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 162
Thanked: 605 Times
Default

Dealership walkaround video of the C5 Aircross is up.

ATRONIX is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:35   #231
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 445
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Looking forward to seeing the C5 in the flesh soon! I love the design, features, engine option, etc. Seems to be an overall well balanced package.

However, I'm a little confused about something I observed.

Vehicles in the pictures from the media drive - Gear shifter is located on the left side of the centre console (far from the driver on an RHD car).

Vehicle in the walkaround video - Gear shifter is located on the right side of the centre console (closer to the driver on an RHD car).

Can someone clear out why this is the case? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by fordfreak : 3rd February 2021 at 20:36.
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:55   #232
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Looking forward to seeing the C5 in the flesh soon! I love the design, features, engine option, etc. Seems to be an overall well balanced package.

However, I'm a little confused about something I observed.

Vehicles in the pictures from the media drive - Gear shifter is located on the left side of the centre console (far from the driver on an RHD car).

Vehicle in the walkaround video - Gear shifter is located on the right side of the centre console (closer to the driver on an RHD car).

Can someone clear out why this is the case? Am I missing something here?
The media drive vehicles could be a CBU import which were made in an LHD country, for the purpose of exporting to RHD countries. In such cases, these small details are often overlooked by the manufacturer (an example is the automatic gear lever in the current XUV500. It has the P-R-N-D markings to the left of the gear lever, whereas it should be to the right in an RHD market). Just my guess.
CapKoura is offline  
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:58   #233
BHPian
 
Dr.AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 863
Thanked: 4,930 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
However, I'm a little confused about something I observed.

Vehicles in the pictures from the media drive - Gear shifter is located on the left side of the centre console (far from the driver on an RHD car).

Vehicle in the walkaround video - Gear shifter is located on the right side of the centre console (closer to the driver on an RHD car).

Can someone clear out why this is the case? Am I missing something here?
Great observation! Actually the gear lever is supposed to be closer to the driver. If you see the videos of LHD models (for example, see the overdrive video in Post # 182 in this thread), you will see that the gear lever is closer to the left side. Similarly, in the RHD car in the walkaround video you referred to, the gear lever is on the right hand side, which makes sense too.

However, as you correctly pointed out, the pictures from the media drive show a RHD car with the gear lever on the left hand side. That is clearly an anomaly. It is possible that Citroen hurriedly prepared some cars for media drive, which were not necessarily in the final production configuration. It sure is a weird thing.

I hope it was just an anomaly in the media cars and the production cars will have gear lever on the right. Else it will be a major ergonomic flaw.
Dr.AD is offline  
Old 3rd February 2021, 21:24   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
Venkatesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 10,487 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Citroen C5 Aircross walkaround video by Gaadiwaadi

Venkatesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 21:58   #235
BHPian
 
Nithesh_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 967
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Very curious to see what Citroen's gameplan is for India. Rumoured pricing is expected to be over 30 lakhs OTR. With FCA struggling to sell their models over 25 lakh rupees despite Jeep or even Fiat having strong brand values, who are Citroen targeting? Would their dealers even make profits selling single digits a month long term?
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 21:59   #236
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Noida
Posts: 3
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Looking forward to seeing the C5 in the flesh soon! I love the design, features, engine option, etc. Seems to be an overall well balanced package.

However, I'm a little confused about something I observed.

Vehicles in the pictures from the media drive - Gear shifter is located on the left side of the centre console (far from the driver on an RHD car).

Vehicle in the walkaround video - Gear shifter is located on the right side of the centre console (closer to the driver on an RHD car).

Can someone clear out why this is the case? Am I missing something here?
I may be wrong, but I must point out that this is not a video from an Indian dealership. I say so based on the following observations:

1. Have a closer look at the video at 00:32 to 00:37 and from 3:46 to 3:47 - the cars parked outside give away the fact that this video has not been shot in India.

2. At 00:39, you see a red car - a colour that is not on offer in India on C5 Aircross.

3. The whole ambience of the showroom is different from what has been shown in their La Maison CitroŽn showroom video.

Therefore, we see a difference in the placement of the gear shifter (since this car is for a different market, I guess?). Let's see.
AshwinRS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 07:59   #237
BHPian
 
Mu009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Jabalpur
Posts: 468
Thanked: 1,071 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I'm a little confused about something I observed.

Vehicles in the pictures from the media drive - Gear shifter is located on the left side of the centre console (far from the driver on an RHD car).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapKoura View Post
The media drive vehicles could be a CBU import which were made in an LHD country, for the purpose of exporting to RHD countries. In such cases, these small details are often overlooked by the manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
However, as you correctly pointed out, the pictures from the media drive show a RHD car with the gear lever on the left hand side. That is clearly an anomaly.
[...]
I hope it was just an anomaly in the media cars and the production cars will have gear lever on the right. Else it will be a major ergonomic flaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinRS View Post
I may be wrong, but I must point out that this is not a video from an Indian dealership.

Therefore, we see a difference in the placement of the gear shifter (since this car is for a different market, I guess?). Let's see.
I think I can shed some light on this. Like a whole bunch of brands, CitroŽn doesn't put in the effort to properly tailor its models to RHD (minority) markets. It's been on sale in the UK for years with RHD but shifter placed on the"wrong" side, and that's how it'll come to India. In the same way, the glovebox on the C5 is going to be near useless thanks to it being very small as a lot of the circuitry behind the dash hasn't been relocated from left to right. I've been checking out this car for a couple of years and have even recommended to a couple of people that they wait for it to launch, that's how I know. Yes, it's comfortable (ride and space), but like any French product, the ergonomics, plastics and finish aren't the best (but of course, we Indians can judge "premiumness" from a brochure).

Take a look gents (jump to 39s and 3m10s if you can't be bothered to watch it all):


Mind you, I'm not dismissing the car - I think the crossover trend is complete BS, and only makes sense in countries like India with craters for potholes proliferating roads - but what's even worse is the sporty crossover trend. I like the fact that something with no sporty aspirations and a focus on comfort not only exists, but is coming to my local market.


Anyhow, as a related aside:
This stuff is common. Original Indian Ecosport with LHD-oriented wiper age indicator controls. Remember the Compass and its infotainment tilted towards the driver:
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...compass-53.jpg

More worryingly, as rumoured by a very reliable member here, the reason the Harrier hasn't been sent to GNCAP is that even the FCA 2.0 engine isn't properly converted to RHD and the fuel filter is still on the right side and a potential hazard to the driver's feet. Which is really surprising - it's bad enough that FCA doesn't even bother to re-mould plastics and re-orient the screen for RHD, but I can't see how they get past this safety issue with the 2.0 equipped Compass in RHD markets like the UK and Australia. Probably there's extra reinforcement in those models to prevent cabin intrusion of the filter into the driver's side on impact (speculation, but a safe logical deduction). Who knows whether that's carried over to the Indian Compass. Meh. It is what it is...
Mu009 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 08:11   #238
BHPian
 
TorqueIndia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Kottayam,Kerala
Posts: 248
Thanked: 1,035 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quite like this car and it's quirky design. So now it's a STELLANTIS right ?

Is that 2.0L diesel from FCA ? State of tuning looks impressive !

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 4th February 2021 at 08:38.
TorqueIndia is offline  
Old 4th February 2021, 08:36   #239
BHPian
 
Dr.AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 863
Thanked: 4,930 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
I think I can shed some light on this. Like a whole bunch of brands, CitroŽn doesn't put in the effort to properly tailor its models to RHD (minority) markets. It's been on sale in the UK for years with RHD but shifter placed on the"wrong" side, and that's how it'll come to India.
I see your point and that was my first thought too. Not only Citroen, but many other companies have done improper conversion from LHD to RHD in the past. However, the car shown in the walkaround video in Post # 230 above shows a RHD car with gear level on the right side! That shows that Citroen did make a proper RHD car with proper positioning of gear lever! And that raises the question of which one is actually the production design for India. Because now we have seen all permutations and combinations built by Citroen, so to speak.

If all cars (RHD or LHD) had gear levers on the left side, then this question would have been moot.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 4th February 2021 at 08:46.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 08:47   #240
BHPian
 
Mu009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Jabalpur
Posts: 468
Thanked: 1,071 Times
Default Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Quite like this car and it's quirky design. So now it's a STELLANTIS right ?

Is that 2.0L diesel from FCA ? State of tuning looks impressive !
No, it's a CitroŽn. Stellantis is just the name of the parent company post the merger of FCA and PSA.

And no, this 2.0 diesel is a PSA engine, different from FCA's multijet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I see your point and that was my first thought too. Not only Citroen, but many other companies have done improper conversion from LHD to RHD in the past. However, the car shown in the walkaround video in Post # 230 above shows a RHD car with gear level on the right side! That shows that Citroen did make a proper RHD car with proper positioning of gear lever! And then that raise the question as to which one is actually the production design for India. Because now we have seen all permutations and combinations built by Citroen, so to speak.

If all cars (RHD or LHD) had gear levers on the left side, then this question would have been moot.
You're quite right. Just went through the video. And to me it very much looks like a walkaround at an Indian outlet.

So here's my revised theory - they appear to have done a bit more work wrt RHD conversion. Whether that's with time for everywhere, or for India, I don't know. Either way, it's good.

And yeah, the media cars (and the ones used for brochures pictures ) are probably CBU RHD models with the gear lever inexplicably still in LHD orientation on those
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks