Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:41   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Citroen C5 Aircross Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

First car from PSA for India.

It's official: Citroen has confirmed the C5 Aircross SUV as its first model for India, set to be launched in 2020.Will start operations in India with over 90 percent localisation, and this should reflect in competitive pricing for the C5 Aircross.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 23896
Size:  541.9 KB
Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021-0.jpg

Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021-4.png
Name:  3.PNG
Views: 24075
Size:  745.6 KB
Quote:
Citroen C5 Aircross measures 4,500mm in length, 1,840mm in width, 1,670mm in height and 2,730mm in wheelbase length, which makes it 25mm longer and 10mm taller than Hyundai Tucson, and gives it a wheelbase that's 60mm longer. It sits rather high up too, with a ground clearance of 230mm.
Quote:
Citroen offers the C5 Aircross with the option of one petrol and two diesel engines – a 130hp, 1.2-litre turbo-petrol, a 130hp, 1.5-litre turbo-diesel and a 180hp, 2.0-litre turbo-diesel. Transmission options include a 6-speed manual and an 8-speed torque converter automatic. While all-wheel-drive isn’t on offer, the C5 Aircross SUV does get Grip Control – a feature similar to the Terrain Response modes on the Tata Harrier – and hill-descent control.
Quote:
The brand also plans to introduce a plug-in hybrid variant of every new model based on PSA’s EMP2 platform and also an all-electric variant of all new cars based on the CMP architecture.
Link

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2021 at 09:15. Reason: Adding link to review
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 17:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Peugeot-Citroen DS 7 Crossback SUV spied in India

Power figures are awesome but I guess with Indian fuel condition & our F.E. concerned buyer base, they may detune a bit. But would have been awesome if they get the engines within a sub 4 meter format since both of the 1.2 Turbo petrol & 1.5 diesel qualifies for duty / tax benefits.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 19:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Citroen Aircross for India, to debut in Sept 2020. To rival Jeep Compass.

Will introduce a new model every year starting 2021. Will start operations in India in 2020 is targeting to grab 2 Per Cent market share by 2025-26.
Citroen planning to make 100,000 cars a year in phase 1 of India operations.

Name:  0.PNG
Views: 21400
Size:  746.0 KB

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 20685
Size:  847.5 KB

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 19500
Size:  809.0 KB

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 18141
Size:  638.8 KB

Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021-000.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd April 2019 at 20:17.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 12:53   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lots of quirkiness in the design, as is typical of most French cars. Good luck to them! I agree with launching brand "Citroen" instead of Peugeot (which has a bad name in India). But just wondering about their strategy and how exactly they intend to differentiate or roll out a compelling option. The market today is more brutal than it's ever been before. Even brands who have been around for 10 years (VW, Nissan etc.) are finding things difficult.

Furthermore, the French have usually found it difficult to understand the Indian customer.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 14:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lots of quirkiness in the design, as is typical of most French cars. Good luck to them! I agree with launching brand "Citroen" instead of Peugeot (which has a bad name in India). But just wondering about their strategy and how exactly they intend to differentiate or roll out a compelling option. The market today is more brutal than it's ever been before. Even brands who have been around for 10 years (VW, Nissan etc.) are finding things difficult.

Furthermore, the French have usually found it difficult to understand the Indian customer.
Sure its a good move to launch Citroen. PSA brand had its presence in the form of Peugeot way back in 90's (JV with PAL), even though good cars reliability was a major concern as they went missing from the Indian market.

Even though it was the 4th largest in Europe and one of the first MNC's to enter India. Response to its 309 model was rather good in first year, but slowly faded. Problem with PAL and labour unrest in 1996 led to losses over Rs 3 billion. Highly dated cars, blunders by the company and a small dealer network also added to their decision to leave the Indian market.

Citroen is an unknown brand, Peugeot was also the same back then and they never had any brand building exercise. Citroen is playing safe and is targeting 2% market share by 2025-26. Quirky eye catchy designs may work but brand building is essential.

But, the decision to bring in the larger C5 instead of the smaller C3 seems to be a wrong choice. For a smaller compact SUV which would go off the shelf faster than C5 and economies of scale can be achieved way faster would have been better for an unknown brand. Its just one fast selling vehicle that establishes a brand in the market (Renault opted for this strategy and Nissan didn't and it actually helped Renault).
Old 4th April 2019, 14:31   #6
BHPian

This car was featured in a fun film in The Grand Tour in season 3. Specially the last few minutes showing off its off road capability while being front wheel drive was nice to see. that should certainly come in handy on Bangalore streets!
vkrmchauhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 15:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

So Citroen wishes to launch a car in India by September 2020 which was actually introduced back in 2017 ? Good luck with that !
karan561 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 17:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
So Citroen wishes to launch a car in India by September 2020 which was actually introduced back in 2017 ? Good luck with that !
- In a country where several car manufacturers have sold the new generation of a car along with its old generation..

- In a country where one of the largest automobile manufacturers, I.e. Volkswagen, has only just proposed to facelift a car (Polo) after 10 years of being on sale, merely to prolong its life by another 3 years or more..

..You know where I'm going with this, right?

Although the Aircross was unveiled in 2017, I wouldn't be wrong to suggest that it's eons ahead of pretty much anything else on sale today or in the near future.

It will be incredibly spacious and practical, it will be feature packed, it will come with good engines and most importantly, it will ride like it's on a cloud! Trust the French to make a car that rides better than anything else on rough roads!

Can't wait for this car to hit the market. Let's just hope it's not priced out of reach, that should be our only cause for concern.
suhaas307 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 21:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Although the Aircross was unveiled in 2017, I wouldn't be wrong to suggest that it's eons ahead of pretty much anything else on sale today or in the near future.
I agree, i was especially impressed with its Grand Tour debut as well.

Quote:
Can't wait for this car to hit the market. Let's just hope it's not priced out of reach, that should be our only cause for concern.
I too want it to succeed, wouldnt want to see another French brand (after Peugeot) to fail.
Hence the Timing, Pricing as well as 'latest' product is important
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 09:46   #10
BANNED

In general look, this new Citroën SUV offers quite a unique look even compared to others in most developed of the markets can offer.
In the Indian market, whether we can look forward to at least a 2.0-litre oil burner with an 8-speed automatic gearbox?
Old 5th April 2019, 10:14   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrmchauhan View Post
This car was featured in a fun film in The Grand Tour in season 3. Specially the last few minutes showing off its off road capability while being front wheel drive was nice to see. that should certainly come in handy on Bangalore streets!
That was the C4 AirCross if I am correct

Last edited by ajmat : 8th April 2019 at 11:04.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 14:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Citroen Aircross C5 review,

volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 15:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I agree, i was especially impressed with its Grand Tour debut as well.

I too want it to succeed, wouldnt want to see another French brand (after Peugeot) to fail.

Hence the Timing, Pricing as well as 'latest' product is important
There have been reports that this car, the C5 air cross will go up against the Tiguan and the likes since that is the space it competes in Europe. So this is not for volumes, rather just to build image and create brand positioning.

I wish they would launch it at Compass prices, at least it would then make some sense. The Tiguan is well over 35L on road.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th April 2019 at 15:25. Reason: Spacing
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 15:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

A pretty good, detailed review here too:

If comfort is what I am looking for, this does figure in my wishlist.

And it doesn't look that eccentric in sane colour schemes. I somehow liked it the white below:
Attached Thumbnails
Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021-citroen-c5-white.gif  

Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021-citroen-c5-black.gif  

ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 15:44   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
And it doesn't look that eccentric in sane colour schemes.
Somehow reminds me of a Duster, in the black shade!

Also, the design somehow looks half a size smaller in sober colours - as compared to the funky colour schemes.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks