Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 19:37   #286
BHPian

Re: Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The embargo ends on 15th February; if you are shopping in this segment, WAIT FOR IT. That is all I can say right now

Attachment 2119613
With the shoutout coming from GTO which doesn't happen just by chance, the excitement and suspense be like "Katappa ne bahubali ko kyu mara?"
Old 8th February 2021, 19:39   #287
Senior - BHPian

That struck me as well. And, shouldn't a car in this segment have a sunroof?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Does the rear passenger seat space fall short of legroom or just appears to be short? Query is due to what I see in the video below, after 4:10 timestamp.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 20:36   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
There are two variants - Feel and Shine. The Shine variant (which is the higher variant) has Led headlights, powered Tailgate and Panoramic sunroof over the Feel variant.
Also legroom in the rear is supposed to be good. In the Video shown the reviewer is 6 ft tall and seems to have kept both the front seats at extreme back position. A good thing is that the floorboard is completely flat and there are three equal sized adjustable reclinable and slidable seats so you will be able to seat 3 aside in comfort in the rear.

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th February 2021 at 20:38.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:24   #289
BHPian

The car looks smashing but I fear the worse when it comes to leg space at the rear. From whatever is clear from the 3 video walk around reviews I just saw, it seems that the rear legroom is going to fall much below the expected comfort range. Even if you see the front leg space, it isn't seeming good enough to think that the front seats are pushed way back considering only the driver and the passenger on board. That would be really drab as I don't think any car in the segment Citroen is considering to compete in is short of the rear and front leg space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Also legroom in the rear is supposed to be good. In the Video shown the reviewer is 6 ft tall and seems to have kept both the front seats at extreme back position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
While we wait for more details after 15 Feb (when embargo ends) and from GTO/ our review team themselves , anyone has experienced the C5 Aircross outside India?
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 22:37   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Well, Behemoth has answered below. And whether it should have a sunroof or not, unsure. It has become an expected feature in every segment now, so yeah, why not? I'm more keen on understanding passenger leg space available, that clearly is a non-negotiable requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
There are two variants - Feel and Shine. The Shine variant (which is the higher variant) has Led headlights, powered Tailgate and Panoramic sunroof over the Feel variant.
Also legroom in the rear is supposed to be good. In the Video shown the reviewer is 6 ft tall and seems to have kept both the front seats at extreme back position. A good thing is that the floorboard is completely flat and there are three equal sized adjustable reclinable and slidable seats so you will be able to seat 3 aside in comfort in the rear.
Thanks for the insight about the 2 variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
The car looks smashing but I fear the worse when it comes to leg space at the rear. From whatever is clear from the 3 video walk around reviews I just saw, it seems that the rear legroom is going to fall much below the expected comfort range. Even if you see the front leg space, it isn't seeming good enough to think that the front seats are pushed way back considering only the driver and the passenger on board. That would be really drab as I don't think any car in the segment Citroen is considering to compete in is short of the rear and front leg space.
Apart from understanding something as personal as rear seats passenger leg space in-person, when vehicles are available for a 'dekho' in showrooms, i'm early waiting to note this aspect and others, when TBHP preview will be available after 15 Feb (look for GTO's earlier post on this).

-----------------

As an aside, what I also noticed was a cumbersome/ busy controls, on separate stalk, in what appears to be a not so easily accessible spot, just for cruise control? Is this placement of the stalk ideal?
Can't remember seeing such a design earlier, that appears to be tricky to access (Skoda's cruise control on the lights operation stalk is a little bit better, me thinks).

Last edited by k_ajay : 8th February 2021 at 22:42. Reason: additional point added about cruise control stalk.
Old 8th February 2021, 22:58   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

The C5 Aircross brochure is already available and I downloaded it a few days back. Not sure if it has been shared earlier on this thread so sharing here for everyone's benefit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brochure - The New Citroën C5 Aircross SUV (1).pdf (17.84 MB, 634 views)
Behemoth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 23:55   #292
BHPian

For those wondering about the rear legroom, I remember from Matt’s review that it is on the lower side. It does seem a fairly good car otherwise.

I’ll check out the car at launch. The Mumbai showroom has come up right next to where I live, at Atria mall in Worli, where the old Rolls Royce showroom used to be.

Here’s the link for those interested. He’s one of my favourite reviewers on YouTube.

Last edited by one-77 : 8th February 2021 at 23:58.
one-77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:06   #293
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I hope Citroen prices the C5 Aircross competitively. If I were the CEO of Citroen India, I would not only give it a killer price (one of the reasons behind the success of new entrants like the Seltos & Hector), I would even be open to selling it at a loss. I'd simply write off the loss as a "marketing expense". No point spending 50 crores on marketing if the price is too high - instead spend 15 crores on marketing & use the 35 saved to subsidise the price. In India, word of a well-priced car spreads like wildfire. If Citroen prices it really well, it will create a reasonable impact in the market. If it overprices, then it will sink without a trace like say...the Nissan X-Trail, Hyundai Santa Fe etc.

In news articles, the company has claimed a high level of localisation, but I doubt that for a new premium product in Covid times (when suppliers have had capacity constraints).

In the UK, the Citroen C5 Aircross is priced within an arm's length of the VW Tiguan (source = carwow.co.uk). Also see the top comparison searches by British netizens. Should tell you who its competitors are:
Citroen C5 Aircross to be launched in India in 2021-screenshot-20210209-085933.jpg
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:10   #294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The embargo ends on 15th February; if you are shopping in this segment, WAIT FOR IT. That is all I can say right now
Is the T-BHP official review also expected on the 15th? Or will that follow somewhat after.

If it is not prohibited, can anyone confirm if the top version comes with leather seats. Somehow every video I have seen only seems to look like it has fabric seats.

EDIT:

Quote:
If Citroen prices it really well, it will create a reasonable impact in the market. If it overprices, then it will sink without a trace like say...the Nissan X-Trail, Hyundai Santa Fe etc.

In the UK, the Citroen C5 Aircross is priced within an arm's length of the VW Tiguan (source = carwow.co.uk). Also see the top comparison searches by British netizens. Should tell you who its competitors are:
Just saw this post. From what I am reading here, it would seem that the on road price of this car is more likely to be closer to the 35 - 40 lakh range (Tiguan'ish) as opposed to the 28 - 33 lakh range (Compass'ish price point). Would love to be wrong on this of course.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th February 2021 at 09:15.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 09:16   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope Citroen prices the C5 Aircross competitively. If I were the CEO of Citroen India, I would not only give it a killer price (one of the reasons behind the success of new entrants like the Seltos & Hector), I would even be open to selling it at a loss. I'd simply write off the loss as a "marketing expense". No point spending 50 crores on marketing if the price is too high - instead spend 15 crores on marketing & use the 35 saved to subsidise the price. In India, word of a well-priced car spreads like wildfire. If Citroen prices it really well, it will create a reasonable impact in the market. If it overprices, then it will sink without a trace like say...the Nissan X-Trail, Hyundai Santa Fe etc.

In news articles, the company has claimed a high level of localisation, but I doubt that for a new premium product in Covid times (when suppliers have had capacity constraints).

Attachment 2119894
Completely agree with you! That is the big challenge for Citroen and inspite of all the Tech and comforts that the C5 Aircross may offer, people will compare it with the MG Hector / Hector Plus. The Hector Plus is currently the value leader in its class and offers a great engine and good interior space. (However the safety ratings are unknown). The exshowroom price of the Sharp Hector Plus in Gurgaon is around 19 Lacs.
If we were to add a premium to this for around 1.5 Lacs for the Auto Gearbox and the slightly higher power of the engine and also add maybe 2 lacs more for the additional safety features of the C5 Aircross, the logical price point for the higher Shine variant would be around 22.5 Lacs.
This would be certainly a good sweet spot for this car and close enough for prospective buyers to take a risk with a new brand. Anything higher than this may be too adventurous for the brand. The Feel model should even be cheaper and ideally should be around 21 Lacs ex showroom.

GTO, since you recently got the new Superb, could you also do a comparison with your Superb in terms of finesse and interior space (Including boot measurements) and features. That will be really helpful.
If the C5 Aircross does eventually go to the 28-32 lacs onroad segment, that will be the car it will be competing with primarily in the sedan space and to me the Superb is the best value in that segment!

Thanks!
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 10:49   #296
BHPian

So anybody who buys a Citroen can say technically that they own a "lemon". Before people accuse me of not giving a new manufacturer a chance, "Lemon" in Dutch means Citroen.

Apparently the founder used to sell lemons before he started the car company.
Avinash_R is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 13:29   #297
Team-BHP Support

The 20-30L range is extremely thin in terms of a spacious 5 seater 2L SUV. if they can cater to that with a max 26/27 OTR they have a good chance. Anything touching 30 and beyond, I dont know if it will fly.

The Tiguan has built a fairly strong name for itself in the market. The Peugeot 2008 is a superbly built cross-over which is making lot of waves. In india, targeting a 40L OTR to be on the lines of Tiguan, Aircross may not have a chance. They may have to position much lower.

Also am curious to note how they pan out on the engine options for India? If a 1.6D then product needs to be again re-positioned accordingly.
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 16:31   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The 20-30L range is extremely thin in terms of a spacious 5 seater 2L SUV. if they can cater to that with a max 26/27 OTR they have a good chance. Anything touching 30 and beyond, I dont know if it will fly.
Just to bolster your point, see this post on another thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4995792 (The Car Consumer Choice Index: An analysis into the choices available to the Indian customer)

If they price it in what this member calls the Valley of Depression, they are likely to see brisk sales. Not much choice in this price range, and any - literally any differenciator is going to pull the crowds into showrooms.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 16:44   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2119894
French cars will not find traction at VW prices in Europe.

Citroen/Peugeot in the UK sit below the likes of VW, Honda, Toyota, Ford etc....they are therefore priced far more competitively. French cars do not carry the greatest of reputations exactly.

A huge advantage in India is that Citroen does not carry any baggage. It's a fresh brand and they are creating Citroen India's reputation from scratch.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 18:10   #300
BHPian

This looks like a great car, but I do feel like Citroen is testing the water by jumping in the middle of the ocean.

Most of the new releases (brand & car) in the range of 15-20L have been taken fairly well. Is it possible to replicate the same success in 30L+ segment (or even 50% of it)? Most of the well known brands are not getting enough sales in this segment. Even though this car might be just to make a statement of Citroen is a "Premium" brand, I don't see how it is going to unfurl.

Can anyone explain what might be the strategy behind this car launch?
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks