Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2019, 15:50   #181
BHPian

re: Ford to end independent operations in India; will hold 49% in JV with Mahindra

So does this mean that Ford will only decide the car's body shell and the rest (including how the driving dynamics, the platform, etc) decided by Mahindra?
Old 22nd April 2019, 15:59   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford to end independent operations in India; will hold 49% in JV with Mahindra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
So does this mean that Ford will only decide the car's body shell and the rest (including how the driving dynamics, the platform, etc) decided by Mahindra?
Ford will borrow the base platform and powertrain from Mahindra and develop their own body for their version of the SUV.

Driving dynamics beyond the base chassis is about tuning the steering, suspension, etc. and this will be done by Ford, so I'm sure they will not dilute the drive experience.

More details:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ize-suv-412403
fiat_tarun is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:21   #183
BHPian

According to Ford, they say that it would have cost ~1740 crores if they had to develop the vehicle all alone. Now it is going to be ~980 crores. The difference is about ~760 crores. Ford should also pay "Royalty" (what they call as "Consideration") to Mahindra, which I assume would run into few hundred crores. I don't see any great cost savings for Ford with this move unless I am missing something here.
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:58   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Ford will borrow the base platform and powertrain from Mahindra and develop their own body for their version of the SUV.
I'm really not getting it.

Is Ford having a dearth of platform or technology that they have to depend on Mahindra? Should it not be the other way round? I thought it was Ford's operations in India that needed a jolt/assistance.
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:58   #185
BHPian

Quote:
According to Ford, they say that it would have cost ~1740 crores if they had to develop the vehicle all alone. Now it is going to be ~980 crores. The difference is about ~760 crores. Ford should also pay "Royalty" (what they call as "Consideration") to Mahindra, which I assume would run into few hundred crores. I don't see any great cost savings for Ford with this move unless I am missing something here.
There's more money to be made in their home country, USA and Canada with big trucks being sold like hot cakes at big prices.

India is all about 1 Japanese and 1 Korean ruling the roost or so Ford India figured out.
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:09   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I'm really not getting it.

Is Ford having a dearth of platform or technology that they have to depend on Mahindra? Should it not be the other way round? I thought it was Ford's operations in India that needed a jolt/assistance.
It's all about cost. Bringing in a global platform or developing ground up does not seem viable to them given our market is a 2 horse race. Jointly developing / sharing a platform helps both parties share the development cost and they are in a better position to compete. This SUV being developed is going to also be exported to other 'emerging' markets.

This is a very common practice across the auto industry and I think it's a good thing as we will get more products to choose from that should be competitively priced.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 22nd April 2019 at 17:11.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:55   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you are missing is that the bulk of these costs are front loaded for the first vehicle released on this platform. As for the rest of it, if you guys don't object to VW and Skoda being basically the city cousin and the country cousin but basically of the same blood why object to a Ford and Mahindra jointly developed platform?

Mahindra also has something which Ford will really need - a massive network of dealers and service centres across India especially rural India where Ford has very little coverage. In my part of South TN, you might have to go to a nearby city for a Ford ASS if you have a breakdown, while the same town will have a Mahindra, Maruti, Hyundai, Tata etc.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 18:23   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

This article - https://www.indiatimes.com/auto/curr...tm_medium=paid

Nothing new but only a rehash of what we already know.

If you're planning to buy a Ford, don't at least till the dust settles down.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 11:28   #189
BHPian

Via Instagram of AutoCar India feed.

First Joint Venture Project on Aspire (Plus) EV seems to be ready as working prototype. It's based on Ford Aspire extended (export variant) sedan.

First drive report is expected on May issue of AutoCar India.
Attached Images

Last edited by NaXal : 8th May 2019 at 11:29. Reason: Picture
NaXal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 07:44   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford’s twin-track approach with $1 billion investment:

- Investments and projects on its own

Quote:
At least $500 million will go toward two SUVs that will be developed by Ford’s India centre

- Partnership with Mahindra.

Quote:
An additional $400-500 million will likely be in Project Black, in partnership with Mahindra & Mahindra - C-segment SUV .
Product Plans:

Quote:
The two SUVs, codenamed BX744 and BX745, are planned to be launched in 2021 and 2022, respectively.

The 744 is an India-specific, sub-4-metre SUV, while the 745 is a global project aimed at China, Brazil and India, besides other emerging markets. It’s aimed at [b]challenging the likes of Hyundai Creta and Renault Duster.[/B
]

Ford to end independent operations in India; will hold 49% in JV with Mahindra-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th May 2019 at 07:46.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 09:36   #191
Senior - BHPian

^^ Exactly why I kept saying, let us wait for more details before about the supposed 'Ford exit' plan, JV, etc. Half this thread is filled with comments writing off the manufacturer without even waiting for the complete details or an official statement to be made.

Anyway, the linked article above is also not confirmed news, but it makes sense and it looks like we can look forward to more blue oval cars even out of the Mahindra collaboration.
fiat_tarun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:55   #192
BHPian

Ford EcoSport may be replaced by BX744 SUV – Based on Mahindra XUV300?
An article by RUSHLANE

Last edited by nkumarblr : 13th May 2019 at 12:56.
Old 13th May 2019, 15:46   #193
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ford’s twin-track approach with $1 billion investment
Although there is nothing in common with the position of Ford India & GM India, I won't believe such "billion dollar" investment articles. Mary Barra came to India amid much fanfare, announced a billion dollar investment and next year, GM was gone.

As per my earlier post on this thread, Ford will remain in India, but in a less prominent role. It'll take a back seat to Mahindra.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 10:33   #194
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Ford to invest US$ 1 billion in India

According to a media report, Ford is likely to invest US$ 1 billion in India over the next 5-7 years.

Ford to end independent operations in India; will hold 49% in JV with Mahindra-2017fordecosport03.jpg

Ford is in the process of restructuring its businesses around the world and India will reportedly be part of its long term global strategy. Out of the total investment, US$ 500 million are expected to be earmarked for the development of two new SUVs, while the remaining amount is likely to go towards its partnership with Mahindra.

One of the SUVs is said to be codenamed BX744. It is an India-specific sub-4 meter SUV, while the other (codenamed: BX745) will be a global product that will compete with the Hyundai Creta and Renault Duster. These models are expected to be launched in 2021 and 2022 respectively.

Ford is investing US$ 100 million in a C-segment SUV that will be developed in partnership with Mahindra. The carmaker is also said to be working on an all-electric sedan based on the Aspire.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 10:45   #195
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ford to invest US$ 1 billion in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Ford is likely to invest US$ 1 billion in India over the next 5-7 years.

Thanks for sharing.

This is very good news especially after the speculations that Ford is exiting India. Hope this turns out to be true as the sub 4 meter Ford cars will definitely do well in India. And with the Mahindra partnership, things may turn out smoother for Ford India.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed