Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2019, 13:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: No plans to upgrade the Toyota Corolla to BS-VI norms

According to a media report, Toyota does not plan to upgrade the Corolla to meet BS-VI emission regulations. The new emission norms are set to come into force in 2020.

Rumour: No plans to upgrade the Toyota Corolla to BS-VI norms-corolla-altis.jpg

As part of its partnership with Suzuki, Toyota was supposed to supply the Corolla sedan that would be launched as a re-badged model under the Maruti brand. However, if plans for a BS-VI upgrade are shelved, then Maruti's version of the Corolla seems unlikely.

Reports suggest that Maruti and Toyota believe that the C-segment is unlikely to generate sufficient volumes for both the brands to justify business. But the two carmakers have already confirmed that the joint development of a Toyota C-segment MPV.

Suzuki will benefit from Toyota's expertise when it comes to hybrid technology. Toyota will assist Suzuki to localise electric systems and batteries for its future models in order to meet the upcoming Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) norms. In return, Toyota will gain access to models like the Vitara Brezza, Baleno, Ciaz and Ertiga.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 14:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: No plans to upgrade the Toyota Corolla to BS-VI norms

Im very surprised at this development. Maybe its time for SUVs to truly takeover!
Sadly, we won't have any Sedans to buy in a couple of years in the 20L category. You will continue to have the 10-15 L ones and beyond that it will be a straight jump to 30.

With the Corolla at 200-300 units a month, Toyota isn't making fantastic profits and its really not worth the effort for anyone of their size. They also realise that this demand will reduce further with SUVs taking over.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 15:33   #3
BANNED

Very surprising. Are they waiting for Honda's new Civic to decide.

Of course the Civic with the 'old' 1.8l petrol engine is a disappointment. Why not a 1.5 (or 1.6) Turbo engine? This what the users demand.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Im very surprised at this development. Maybe its time for SUVs to truly takeover!.......They also realise that this demand will reduce further with SUVs taking over.
Even then they are not getting a SUV which sits lower than the fortuner. They really have so many options to get for this SUV crazy market!
akp666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
Even then they are not getting a SUV which sits lower than the fortuner. They really have so many options to get for this SUV crazy market!
You are right ! They are talking about bringing in the Rush ! That is a very awkward looking car and why on earth would someone buy that over a to be launched KIa or the next generation Creta (coming in 2020) ?
The Rush for me will be a massive mistake like the Yaris. If you see the Yaris, it can sell well if positioned properly but they don’t and it doesn’t have the dimensions of the car it competes with and hence failed ! The Rush is similar (looks like a BRV) and wants to take on cars that look like SUVs
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 18:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
You are right !...................... The Rush is similar (looks like a BRV) and wants to take on cars that look like SUVs
Exactly. If they get the rush, and overprice it, it will have the same effect like Yaris. If only they had priced Yaris sensibly (smh). And instead of getting us RAV4 and the likes, they want to bring Rush, and there is no rush in bringing it too. (Pun intented) I am not a Maruti & Hyundai fan (no offence to anyone), but with ford leaving the market, the options for us a dwindling. After my experience with the ecosport, I had already made up my mind to get the endeavour when the time came. Them leaving and the lacklustre attitudes of other companies and their product portfolio makes it really sad for us. If one wants a good SUV between the ecosport and Endeavour/Fortuner, what options do we have except Creta/Compass/Harrier/XUV? A proper sensibly priced toyota would have grabbed the market
akp666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 19:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have this feeling that Toyota would use Ciaz itself and probably with better hybrid avatar and price it in D segment.

Being a Toyota it should be easy for them to overprice it !!
Old 11th April 2019, 22:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

This was a bit of a surprise news. I was expecting that Toyota would use this opportunity to get the Corolla Hybrid to India next year.

The 2020 Toyota Corolla is available internationally with a Hybrid powertrain similar to the Prius. This would have been a fantastic option in the segment differentiating it from the Civic, Elantra and Octy.

In a market of SUV's the hybrid would have been a compelling option for those looking for a mini Camry experience.

Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 22:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2019 at 08:31.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th April 2019, 23:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think Toyota is doing what Volkswagen did to Jetta, a year or more earlier. They are planning to continue with the LHD version and discontinue the RHD. I doubt emission norms are the reason.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 08:35   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not buying this rumour. Reasons:

1. Because the Corolla is sold in developed countries, it is already capable of meeting & exceeding BS-VI emission norms. It's zero work for Toyota India.

2. Toyota has been consistent in supporting the Corolla, even though its sales have dropped from a high of 1000 / month (couple of years ago). Its also the brand's best-selling nameplate worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
They are planning to continue with the LHD version and discontinue the RHD.
How can a company from a RHD-country abandon RHD? I think the Japanese will abandon their sushi before they give up RHD.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 09:33   #12
BHPian

Two contrasting strategies (Honda vs Toyota) if the news is true. If the last six months sales figures are extrapolated, Corolla would be raking in around a sales of 80cr per annum. Compared to what the Innova itself is able to manage on a monthly basis, this is peanuts for Toyota. The fact that new Corolla is on a new platform and factoring in the tooling and set up costs, may be this news does have credence.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 12:28   #13
BHPian

I don’t think this is true. Even though the Corolla’s sales are low, it’s still the top selling car in its segment. Moreover the ‘Corolla’ brand carries a lot of weight.

What I think this means is that we might be getting the next generation model earlier than expected.

I also get a feeling that Toyota doesn’t want to share the Corolla with Suzuki, since it might dilute the brand.

The current Corolla Altis is quite an average car compared to its rivals. If there’s one car that can revive this segment, it’s a thoroughly capable Corolla.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 12th April 2019 at 12:30.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 13:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I did give this rumour some credence but now after thinking about it a little longer, I believe it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I mentioned in another post about why I believe the current 1.8 L 2ZR-FE can certainly be tuned for BS6 norms. Simply because the Corolla with this engine option is also sold overseas including in California which has some of the strictest pollution control norms in the world.

If fickle minded Honda India could reenter the D1 segment with the new Civic, with IIRC the old R18A 140 BHP engine, there's no reason for TKM to pull their best selling (in its segment) sedan off the market. Let them duke it out for pole position.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 14:23   #15
BHPian

If I am not mistaken, there are 2 issues. One is upgrading the engine to BS6 and second is bringing in the all new TNGA based Corolla. May be upgradation of current engine is possible and Toyota may flog the current car for few more years.
The new Corolla not coming to India is the part of the story which I feel is believable.

Most Viewed