Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2020, 17:55   #286
BHPian

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I don't think they will tweak it on a CBU, just for India.
Totally agreed. Also if 161 mm GC is fully laden then it’s better than the Tiguan. Also, being a CBU it would be firmly set up so it wouldn’t bottom out easily. AFAIK even the Jetta has 158 mm of GC.
Old 22nd March 2020, 18:39   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I see that the T-roc is 4234 mm in length in all the official EU documents. But the VW India site still wrongly mentions the length as 4342 mm and haven't changed it..
I've addressed this with VW officially and on their Twitter handle.
No response, nada ! Nothing on GC and FE. Total silence.

This is VW for you. I hope Skoda is different.
VPJ74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 18:56   #288
BHPian

Looks like it is launched at an ex show room price of 19.9Lac. I Don't see anything that stands out compared to other cars. It is smaller than Creta/Seltos! Why would anyone buy this beats me Then they will blame the market
Gany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 19:40   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Looks like it is launched at an ex show room price of 19.9Lac. I Don't see anything that stands out compared to other cars. It is smaller than Creta/Seltos! Why would anyone buy this beats me Then they will blame the market
This car appeals exactly to the folks who bought Polo GT over Baleno or i20 Ellite, even-though Polo GT is cramped, less reliable and expensive. Understated-mature design, build quality, fit and finish and the drive quality-handling above all are some reasons people will opt T-Roc over Creta/Seltos.
Guna is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 20:26   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
And the Creta and Seltos are tiny compared to say, the Hector. Size isn't everything.

One thing that does stand out is that the T-Roc is a CBU with a five-star Euro NCAP rating. This is reason enough in my book to buy one. The real competition for it will come from the Karoq.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 22nd March 2020 at 20:33.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 12:24   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I see that the T-roc is 4234 mm in length in all the official EU documents. But the VW India site still wrongly mentions the length as 4342 mm and haven't changed it. And whats more worse is that, every major media house that has covered the launch including the video walk arounds quote the wrong length and even say that T-Roc is longer than the Creta and Seltos, while in reality it is shorter. This is totally irresponsible from both VW and the media.
Agreed that T-Roc is a CBU but lets mot take it for granted that VW has listed the dimensions on its website incorrectly or even in its media briefings. They may have tweaked the vehicle for the Indian market to make the length bigger. Size does matter in India, when comparing to the competition !
Its not just the length but every other dimension is different :
Width & Wheelbase for the Indian model is 1819 mm & 2590 mm vs 1831.3 mm & 2595.9 mm respectively. so the Indian spec model is 12.33 mm narrower & 5.9 mm shorter on wheel base. So obviously it's been tweaked a bit. The only things constant is the height. I would assume that the company officials would know what they are doing
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:04   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Width & Wheelbase for the Indian model is 1819 mm & 2590 mm vs 1831.3 mm & 2595.9 mm respectively. so the Indian spec model is 12.33 mm narrower & 5.9 mm shorter on wheel base. So obviously it's been tweaked a bit. The only things constant is the height. I would assume that the company officials would know what they are doing
Are you taking the dimensions of the international model from Wikipedia by any chance? The information in Wikipedia does not match with the official VW specifications which I have checked from both VW UK and VW Finland sites. In both cases, the wheelbase is 2590mm and width is 1819mm exactly like the T-Roc launched in India. Only the 4Motion AWD model has a slightly longer wheelbase (2593mm), but the width remains the same.

It would be strange for VW to increase the length of an India-specific model, only to make it narrower and smaller in wheelbase.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:09   #293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agreed that T-Roc is a CBU but lets mot take it for granted that VW has listed the dimensions on its website incorrectly or even in its media briefings. They may have tweaked the vehicle for the Indian market to make the length bigger. Size does matter in India, when comparing to the competition !
All specs are same between India and International variants. It's a simple typo 4234 vs 4324.

They cannot increase the length of a car by 90mm by simple modifications. And the wheelbase is same so the additional length will go in bumpers which makes even lesser sense.

The specs you mentioned are the difference between the 4motion and the 2WD. India gets 2WD and international and indian specs match barring length.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd March 2020 at 22:39. Reason: Corrected typo.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 13:53   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All specs are same between India and International variants. It's a simple typo 4234 vs 4324.

They cannot increase the length of a car by 90mm by simple modifications. And the wheelbase is same so the additional length will go in bumpers which makes even lesser sense.

The specs you mentioned are the difference between the 4motion and the 2WD. India gets 2WD and international and indian specs match baring length.
This is what I see in the Volkswagen German site translated using Google Translate

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-trocde.png

Don't clearly understand what min (4234 mm) and max (4342 mm) length mean...
As you suggest above this might be the 4Motion vs 2WD difference, looking to find the fine print

Last edited by LobsterB : 23rd March 2020 at 14:07. Reason: 4Motion point
LobsterB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:20   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
As you suggest above this might be the 4Motion vs 2WD difference, looking to find the fine print
If I had to guess, I would say it's the maximum length with the optional towbar/trailer hook fully extended.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 15:44   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
This is what I see in the Volkswagen German site translated using Google Translate

Attachment 1982981

Thanks for this interesting piece of information. So they are bringing the 4342 MM length model to India. I simply could not believe that a leading global automobile manufacturer like VW (or for that matter any auto manufacturer) could make such a glaring mistake on their website, in their media handouts and press release. It was simply unbelievable !. I am glad this sets the record straight !! Cheers !

Last edited by Timothy : 23rd March 2020 at 15:58. Reason: typo error
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:12   #297
Senior - BHPian

The India website mentions 'Driver Steering Recommendation'
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-screenshot_20200323170840.png

Is this a common feature on cars in India? Does it actively 'steer' to mitigate loss of control?
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:24   #298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for this interesting piece of information. So they are bringing the 4342 MM length model to India. I simply could not believe that a leading global automobile manufacturer like VW (or for that matter any auto manufacturer) could make such a glaring mistake on their website, in their media handouts and press release. It was simply unbelievable !. I am glad this sets the record straight !! Cheers !
It's 4234mm in India not 4324. Either the website has a typo as I mentioned or as per LobsterB the 4324 is the length with the optional Trailer tow hook which is not in India. Which means it's still a typo as there is no trailer tow hook for India.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:40   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's 4234mm in India not 4324. Either the website has a typo as I mentioned or as per LobsterB the 4324 is the length with the optional Trailer tow hook which is not in India. Which means it's still a typo as there is no trailer tow hook for India.
Lets see, it would indeed be interesting if there is indeed a typo error ! There is a size of 4342 mm that exists (which is the size listed on the VW India website).
I still find it hard to believe that a company of the calibre of VW, or for that matter any auto company, would continue to make this kind of a glaring error for days together....
May be they know something which many people are not aware of. Anyway lets wait till the demo cars become available and the reviews come out.
Cheers !!
Old 23rd March 2020, 18:54   #300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lets see, it would indeed be interesting if there is indeed a typo error ! There is a size of 4342 mm that exists (which is the size listed on the VW India website).
I still find it hard to believe that a company of the calibre of VW, or for that matter any auto company, would continue to make this kind of a glaring error for days together....
May be they know something which many people are not aware of. Anyway lets wait till the demo cars become available and the reviews come out.
Cheers !!
I hope that was sarcastic comment against VW since their entire website is filled with glaring errors:

1. Polo GT listed as 1.5TDi with 90PS. They have launched the 1.0L TSI but not updated it yet after a month.

https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/mode...t/master.layer

2. Vento also not updated.

3. T-roc mentioned independent rear suspension when there isn't.

VW is known for errors in their web pages and brochures.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed