Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th April 2020, 18:44   #331
BHPian

Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The purpose is to keep the brands fresh in the eyes of the consumer and create the new brand image of being sleek, modern, high in engineering and features, not cheap but great value. The new launches coming in 2021 will just carry the momentum of this positioning forward. This is why the T-Roc was launched at such a compelling price - a fully loaded feature rich and well engineered compact SUV at just 19.99 lakhs. The Karoq will carry that value and quality story forward, so I do not expect it to be much higher priced than T-Roc.

They have to do this, otherwise they will get bogged down under the perception cloud created by current legacy models like the Polo, Vento and Rapid. Solid and well put together, but old and unexciting.

The real story will play out in 2021 and beyond. I expect VW group to make a grand entry with the Taigun and Kamiq, launching two excellent products at very good value price points that undercut the Creta and Seltos.
You do make some good valid points, but the Taigun & Kamiq don't really need to undercut the Creta & Seltos, even if they are a bit more expensive but perceived to be offering good value and quality and the company can shake of the negative image of their after sales service and long waits for critical spare parts, then they can be truly successful and gain market share.

But for all this to happen they need to localise as much as possible which hopefully they are doing with their India 2.0 strategy, but they will need to localise their 1.5L Tsi engine and not just the 1.0L Tsi mill. Local production of just one engine may not be enough. The competition is offering a plethora of engine & transmission options....

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2020 at 09:35. Reason: summarised / spacing
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 19:06   #332
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen T-Roc could be assembled locally

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just a little correction - the 2,500 annual limit is exclusively for CBUs only. SKD will not qualify here.
As per Central Motor Vehicles (Eleventh Amendment) Rules 2018, upto 2500 cars can be brought in by auto companies in a single Financial year as a CBU or even CKD without the need for having to homologate them as long as they are right hand drive and are Compliant with the international standard namely, EEC (European Economic Community) or ECE (Economic Commission for Europe) & equivalent Japanese standards.

Anything beyond this number is subject to Indian certification requirements.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th April 2020 at 09:34. Reason: Spacing
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 14:59   #333
BHPian

I had a chat with SA recently and they are sending colour choices to VW, so that they get their lot whenever VW can ship from Pune. During the time I inquired about the number of bookings as on date. I was told that around 30 inquiries or expression of interest are there. However, before the lockdown I was told that there are more than 80 bookings from the dealership. Could that mean lot of bookings have been cancelled ? Its of course possible. I wonder, pan India, how many cancellations have been made!

Off topic: Given the scenario could VW reduce the pricing on this car ? Or offer may be more longer warranty and service packages ?
Old 28th April 2020, 09:31   #334
Senior - BHPian

Default Volkswagen T-Roc GT in works for Indian Market

Volkswagen T-Roc GT In The Works; Other SUVs May Also Get Performance Variants. The Volkswagen T-Roc GT is likely to come only by 2021.

Sirish Vissa, Head of VW Motorsport India said, "We are looking at doing special versions of every car. Our big push in India is the SUV range. Practically they're the best cars for India. Stay tuned. There will be something for sure."

Volkswagen is looking at introducing performance variants of its SUV range. For starters, the company is considering a T-Roc GT line for the Indian market. What is badged as the 'T-Roc R' in other markets may well get the GT badge in India in keeping with the already established performance model series. Of course this will only happen in 2021, and only once Volkswagen India has taken a call on locally assembling (or not) the T-Roc.

On engines Volkswagen would have two choices, depending on whether a proposed GT variant is built locally or is a direct import too. The 1.8 TSI petrol engine that powers the race Polo makes 206 bhp - and would be a great option. But then there's also the 2.0 TSI making 294 bhp (that the engine offering on the T-Roc R that was launched in Germany just a few months ago).

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-smartselect_20200428092526_chrome.jpg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-smartselect_20200428092548_chrome.jpg

https://www.carandbike.com/news/excl...riants-2219244
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 09:37   #335
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen T-Roc GT in works for Indian Market

First make the regular T-Roc sell in good numbers, then talk about high performance oriented variants . I doubt if average folks even know if T-Roc existed in India
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 09:38   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
On engines Volkswagen would have two choices, depending on whether a proposed GT variant is built locally or is a direct import too. The 1.8 TSI petrol engine that powers the race Polo makes 206 bhp - and would be a great option. But then there's also the 2.0 TSI making 294 bhp (that the engine offering on the T-Roc R that was launched in Germany just a few months ago).

I thought the 1.8 TSi was not being upgraded to BS6?
Old 28th April 2020, 10:39   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
First make the regular T-Roc sell in good numbers, then talk about high performance oriented variants . I doubt if average folks even know if T-Roc existed in India
Absolutely! Very poor marketing! Unless the press drools over it, it's hardly going to create ripples in terms of coverage.
Besides, the overall after sales experience for many existing customers is so poor that sales due to word of mouth will be limited. This is very sad because I feel the T-Roc may actually be a very good alternative to the Seltos.

Besides, the 1.8 TSI has been discontinued by the VAG group. It's 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 TSI henceforth.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 10:43   #338
Senior - BHPian

What will certainly be an attractive buy for enthusiasts will be the Taigun GT version, as and when the model does for our market next year. Compact size, good dynamics, solid powertrain coupled with practicality of a compact SUV.

Will definitely be on the top of my watchlist.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 12:01   #339
Senior - BHPian

This would be a perfect combination of power and practicality, in my view. T-Roc is a "Coupe-Suv" - low to the ground (just over 1550 mm tall), so it will have good cornering grip and solid driving dynamics, yet with good ground clearance, sufficient to be a go-anywhere car. I just hope VW does not price it exorbitantly. If they manage to land a 2.0 TSI with 4WD and 190 HP and 320 NM for around 24.99 ex-showroom, it could be the perfect all-rounder for ambling about in the pot-hole filled city as well as the weekend warrior going to the hills and farms. This variant (T-ROC 2.0 TSI, 4motion) does 0-100 in 7.2 seconds based on UK car reviews - far better performance than Jeep Compass, Kia Seltos TGDI, or just about any other competitor even a segments above.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th April 2020 at 12:05.
Old 28th April 2020, 12:19   #340
Team-BHP Support

Vw have imported ~1000 T-Roc's from what I heard and with COVID-19, they have yet to start selling even 1.

So this kind of article is a typical clickbait article imo.

A 1000 CBU's at 24-25L on road for a small crossover is not something that will sell like hot cakes. When you have MG Hector, Seltos, Creta and Harrier at lower prices.

The T-Roc has nowhere near the features of the Seltos and Creta and even performance is similar.

A GT or R version seems really far fetched unless you start imagining that year 2022 will be better.

For this model to even be considered in India, VW first has to sell the 1000 they imported. Which they claim they have sold out.

Then they have to justify making them here as CKD and that should sell well. Only then will they even consider getting a GT or R line with fancy 2L engines at 30L.

I would say don't get too excited by this news with no details and mere speculation.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 18:30   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
If they manage to land a 2.0 TSI with 4WD and 190 HP and 320 NM for around 24.99 ex-showroom, it could be the perfect all-rounder for ambling about in the pot-hole filled city as well as the weekend warrior going to the hills and farms.
In UK, the R Line with 190 PS costs 35.5k pounds. The R trim with 300PS costs 38.9 K, without any add-ons.

I expect any of the trims above, if at all brought to India, to cost at least Rs. 10 L more as compared to current T Roc being offered now, which is 19.99L ex.

I don't think VW will ever bring these trims to India. Polo GTI was good enough experience for them !
Old 28th April 2020, 20:10   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
I expect any of the trims above, if at all brought to India, to cost at least Rs. 10 L more as compared to current T Roc being offered now, which is 19.99L ex.

I don't think VW will ever bring these trims to India. Polo GTI was good enough experience for them !
Polo GTI was 3 times more expensive compared to the regular Polo. T-Roc GTI which may be 30% (1/3) than the regular T-Roc will certainly have takers, even-though the numbers may not be huge (but it will be better than the Polo GTI numbers).
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 00:36   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Polo GTI was 3 times more expensive compared to the regular Polo. T-Roc GTI which may be 30% (1/3) than the regular T-Roc will certainly have takers, even-though the numbers may not be huge (but it will be better than the Polo GTI numbers).
Agreed. A performance VW would mostly cater to enthusiasts ŗ la people who missed out on the VRS. I guess if they're after decent numbers then a Golf GTI/R might be a better proposition since it's the gold standard of "affordable" performance cars.

Steffen Knapp even suggested that they might look at bringing a performance Golf instead of a regular one in a recent "Freewheeling with SVP" interview with CarAndBike. In my opinion the T-Roc R rumours are probably a promotional tactic for potential standard T-Roc bookings.
Old 29th April 2020, 02:09   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Volkswagen T-Roc GT In The Works; Other SUVs May Also Get Performance Variants. The Volkswagen T-Roc GT is likely to come only by 2021.
The first hurdle to cross would be price. With the current T-ROC retailing at 24 upwards on-road a T-ROC GT will be around 30+. That's eating into Tiguan territory. I am not sure the market will take to a performance SUV with leg room a little better than the Golf. It will go the way of the Polo GTI most probably.

Again other than the race Polo I am not aware of any VW group car using the 1.8 TSI or for that matter the 2.0L TSI in India. So again economies of scale may not work out.

VW Motorsport will definitely have an incentive to make revenue by fettling the road going cars. I think they should first start with the Polo GT, Vento GT and the Tiguan GT rather than the T-ROC. I think the T-ROC GT will most probably be a standard T-TOC with some go fast bits.

You never know VW though. They are capable of some hare-brained stuff.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 29th April 2020, 10:43   #345
BHPian

But guys if skoda VRS can sell when it is priced at a premium of 50% over L&K, why canít T-Roc GT / R Line not. The last badge of Octavia is almost sold out as per rumours which is at a time if slowdown and lockdown.

I think if the response to T-Roc is decent then local assembly will be on the cards eventually for it (which will bring costs down further). Launching it with the Tiguanís 2.0 engine should bring them some additional numbers for sure. It wonít sell like the Polo GT at that price but then neither will T-Roc sell like normal polo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed