Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2019, 21:24   #31
BHPian

re: Volkswagen T-Roc spotted in India EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 19.99 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
2.0 TSI is not possible IMO because the lowest state of tune that it is offered in is 190 bhp and also it is not offered on the T-Roc in UK. I don't think they will offer such an engine in an SUV which will sit below the Tiguan. Heck even the likelihood of the Tiguan/Kodiaq duo getting this engine post April 2020 is very less.
Actually I just checked once again and confirmed that 2.0TSI 4Motion 7DSG is available in the R Line spec for £35,200.The Tiguan is already going to get replaced by the Allspace so it makes all the more sense for them to offer this engine in a R Line spec.Similar to what Skoda did with vRS.
TSIVTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 21:47   #32
BHPian

I really doubt if we'll get the 2.0 TSi in India. I'll be actually pleasantly surprised if they launch the 150 bhp 1.5 . If I had to bet, I'll bet on the 1.0 Tsi
Old 18th November 2019, 22:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
I really doubt if we'll get the 2.0 TSi in India. I'll be actually pleasantly surprised if they launch the 150 bhp 1.5 . If I had to bet, I'll bet on the 1.0 Tsi
On the contrary I think that the 1.5 TSI will be the sole engine option and maybe a hotter version with the 2.0 TSI as a limited edition model. But the 1.0 TSI just doesn't fit into the scheme of things. Do you really think that they will offer a 115 bhp engine in an SUV costing 30 lakh?
Old 18th November 2019, 22:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Do you really think that they will offer a 115 bhp engine in an SUV costing 30 lakh?
Fair point actually. In my head this was always a sub 20 lakh car, but I might actually be wrong. This car is shorter in overall length and wheelbase when compared to a Seltos so I assumed they might launch it starting 15-18 lakh with a 115 BHP engine. But looking at the UK prices this might actually be a 25 lakh+ car with a 1.5 150 Engine. Would be a very tough sell at that pricing given the size. But it's all conjecture.
karan85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 10:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary I think that the 1.5 TSI will be the sole engine option and maybe a hotter version with the 2.0 TSI as a limited edition model. But the 1.0 TSI just doesn't fit into the scheme of things. Do you really think that they will offer a 115 bhp engine in an SUV costing 30 lakh?
At that pricing the car will fail. A contemporary looking Jeep Compass failed to woo buyers. If they price it 30 Lakh, those who have 30 Lakh, will spend a bit more and go for the nearest affordable Fortuner.

In this price bracket its more than proven in our market that people buy size & steel by weight. Size is item number 1 on shopping list.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
At that pricing the car will fail. A contemporary looking Jeep Compass failed to woo buyers. If they price it 30 Lakh, those who have 30 Lakh, will spend a bit more and go for the nearest affordable Fortuner.

In this price bracket its more than proven in our market that people buy size & steel by weight. Size is item number 1 on shopping list.
The VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI starts at 31000 pounds in the UK and the Comfortline variant starts at 28 lakh in India.So by that analogy(vaguely) the T-Roc 1.5 TSI base version which starts at 24000 pounds in the UK should start at around 22 lakh in India. This translates to around 27 lakh OTR in Maharashtra at least.

Ofcourse these prices will vary depending upon the level of localization and the trims that VW selects for our market. But this should be a fair assumption that the T-Roc top end variant is either going to touch or cross the 30 lakh barrier here in India. This should put it bang in the Compass territory which I am afraid is going to be game over for VW India even before it starts. So let us wait for the launch and see if VW India manages to surprise us.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 16:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wait. Rs 30 lakh for the T-Roc!? This is a tiny hatchback on stilts! It is no bigger than a Nexon!
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 16:18   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Wait. Rs 30 lakh for the T-Roc!? This is a tiny hatchback on stilts! It is no bigger than a Nexon!
Are you comparing the T-Roc or the T-Cross? The T-Cross fits that description more.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 16:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Would VW make the T-Roc the upgrade GT TSI owners can aspire for within the VAG family? The Seltos GTX turbo petrol is already appealing notwithstanding the badge.
Old 20th November 2019, 19:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

! I think VAG's lack of confidence in our market made them to bring the T-Roc via CBU route (surprised they didn't even consider the CKD route). T-Roc is destined to face Tiguan's fate in India.

IMO VAG should heavily localize T-Roc and put it directly against the Seltos or the upcoming Creta. Since VW is considered as a premium brand in India, lot of people will buy them over other medium SUVs even at a slight price premium. India has proven its craze for medium SUVs with Kia Seltos, Creta, Hector etc, so why does VW think T-Roc can't grab those sales numbers !
carenthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 11:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

More pics: VW T-Roc caught testing in India

Thanks to Medhaj Shetty for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing these with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_5085.jpg

The Volkswagen T-Roc has been caught testing in India once again. The test mule was spotted somewhere near the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_5084.jpg

The spy images suggest that the T-Roc is likely to be offered with a hexagonal grille flanked by a pair of headlights. The front bumper houses LED daytime running lights in a hexagonal ring shape. The fog lamps are placed just below the DRLs.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_5083.jpg

At the rear, the T-Roc has wraparound tail lights and a dual-tone bumper with integrated reflectors. The car also has a roof spoiler and roof rails.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_5086.jpg

Media reports suggest that VW might offer a 1.5-litre, petrol engine with 148 BHP and a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission setup on the T-Roc in India. It may not get an all-wheel drive option.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 26th November 2019 at 11:39.
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 13:27   #42
BANNED

When the Passat test mules were spotted internationally, GTO gave a statement which sounded something like; "the VW cars manage to look beautiful even behind the camouflage".

Well, let me repeat the same set of thoughts. This thing is beautiful and wonderfully proportionate. I would wait for this to come out of camo once before going ahead for anything else.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 14:56   #43
BHPian

Love the styling, looks like a modern day Tiguan (which is again another understated car that doesn't get the credit it deserves).

I have a good feeling that this car will do very well in the TSi + DSG form. Since there are a whole boat of GT TSi enthusiasts (including me) who want to upgrade their Daily Driven but no other car in the lateral segments offer the VW levels of refinement.
salman_ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 07:02   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I've seen both the Cross & the Roc extensively on my recent EU trips. Both are rather diminutive and look lost at least in an EU urban landscape.

In India, pricing is everything regardless of brand. Also remember the Octavia IV will arrive in late 2020 with the 150 bhp 1.5 as standard, with an exshowroom of ~20L estimated.

If VW does provide the same 1.5 in the Roc, expect it to be priced at least at 22L factoring in the so called 'SUV premium'.

Will I pay 26L+ for this? I'm not very sure even being an ex Polo and current Octavia 1.8 owner.
Old 27th November 2019, 13:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

In India, pricing is everything regardless of brand. Also remember the Octavia IV will arrive in late 2020 with the 150 bhp 1.5 as standard, with an exshowroom of ~20L estimated.

If VW does provide the same 1.5 in the Roc, expect it to be priced at least at 22L factoring in the so called 'SUV premium'..
I feel T-Roc will be strongly challenged at this price point. It is dimensionally smaller than the Kia Seltos and going to come with a similar engine/transmission combination as the Seltos DCT, and with similar power output figures. The top end Seltos DCT sells at 16.99 and is packed with features. Unless T-Roc matches or undercuts the Seltos, it will be hard to sell any real volumes to speak of. On the other hand, if VW is bringing it here as an aspirational brand-image oriented product to help later get volumes from T-Cross , that would be an OK strategy to price that high.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks