Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 22:17   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

No cruise control in a 20 lakh rupees car? Some 10 lakh rupees hatchbacks have it. Granted, its use would be extremely limited in India but it is that one time of the year when I hit highway and if I am not in a hurry, I can set at 70-80 kph and cruise comfortably, giving right foot some rest on long drives. I do it all the time. People talk about overworked left foot in an MT car. But, MT or AT, there is no respite to your right foot. Therefore, every chance I get, I set CC.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:13   #452
Senior - BHPian

Another thing I observed was that the arm rest / cubby hole between the front two seats is really small and way far behind. It is probably only a cubby hole storage space. There is no way you can rest your elbow on it. I am 6 feet and even with the seats pushed back my elbow was nowhere near to resting on it.

The space inside the cubby hole is also too little. I wonder what could fit in a 5x5 inch cubby hole.

And no, it does not move or slide forward.

Last edited by Traveler : 3rd June 2020 at 10:16.
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:53   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Another thing I observed was that the arm rest / cubby hole between the front two seats is really small and way far behind. There is no way you can rest your elbow on it.

And no, it does not move or slide forward.
The armrest does move forward as can be seen at 9:42 in the video shared by Venkatesh.

I have also attached a screenshot below.
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-armrest-troc.png  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd June 2020 at 12:30. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post (repetition). Thanks!
AamodB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:56   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
The armrest does move forward as can be seen at 9:42 in the video shared by Venkatesh.

I have also attached a screenshot below.
Thanks for clarifying, I must have missed it in my very short visit. However it looks quite thin and fragile and the space inside in quite small too.
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:04   #455
BHPian

I managed to visit the showroom yesterday evening and here are my initial impressions and have put here some information and pictures I could gather, hopefully useful.

The SA is not fully aware of the car yet and they have some training on the car planned today.

1. Exterior:
To me the car looked good; not overly designed nor understated as well;some chrome elements could have been avoided. I feel the car will stand out on the road.

2. Interiors:
Here is where all the disappointment starts.
  • The plastics do not look good at all. Not even as good as my 2012 Vento. One won't feel like sitting in a 25 L car !
  • The front seats are were just comfortable; but could be narrow for well built passengers.
  • The under-thigh support was fine in lowest height setting, while horrible in highest setting.
  • The rear seats do not have good under thigh support and are positioned slightly higher I feel. The rear also feels cramped even compared to my Vento.
  • There is no question of fitting a third passenger, agiven the tunnel and the centre seat(?) higher positioning as well !
  • The Lumbar support was good and is adjustable manually with a lever mounted on the seat.
Further the following may be noted.
  • Clearly Cruise Control is not a feature to be missed in a car costing so much. Even Polo has it. The sorely missed CruiseControl buttons on steering wheel!
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-leftsidesteeringcontrols.jpg
  • I see the following Drive Assist features can be enabled and disabled => LaneAssist and FrontAssist. I feel LaneAssist is not useful in India, given the unmaintained lane markings in India. And also not sure how well it will work with the existing markings.The FrontAssist feature of emergency braking could be useful. DriverAssist Can be enabled / disabled via a quick access button.
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-driverassist.jpg
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-driveassist2button.jpgThe Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-driverdoorhandle.jpg
  • IRVM : The view is blocked by rear seat headrests. The view window also seems small, clearly reduced by 'C' pillars.
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-irvm.jpg
  • Heated ORVMs.
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-driverdoorsideop.jpg
  • Auto Engine off - On/off and Park Assist On/Off
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-parkcontrol.jpg
  • Bonnet is quite heavy. Its also well padded and supported. However the lever to open the bonnet has a large sway. Bonnet also locks on either side.
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-bonnetpadding.jpg
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-rubberpaddingbonnet.jpg
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-bonnetlockleft.jpg
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-bonnetopenlever.jpg
  • The Warning Triangle Holder when Boot is open
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-traingleholder2.jpg
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-traingleholder1.jpg
  • The safety wheel bolt caps.
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-wheelnuts.jpg
  • See this video. The wiper scrapes against the other when pulling out.
  • The Glove box has a damper. But the glove box is flimsy and not even as strong as in Vento.
tristis2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:10   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
The wiper scrapes against the other when pulling out
Thanks for the detailed report! Shame to see that the plastic quality has taken a beating - I was quite excited to maybe upgrade to the T-Roc from my Vento in a couple years but being a sucker for interior quality, I'll have to maybe wait for the Taigun or the Skoda Vision IN concept.

About the wipers though, is that really that big a deal?
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:46   #457
BHPian

Thanks tritis2008 for the detailed report with lots of relevant pictures

Quote:
There is no keyless entry. I dont see any sensor.

The CarToq reviewer said there is keyless entry. But he used keys to demo I guess:-)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4815511 (The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs)
As per feature list T-ROC has the KESSY keyless entry system with the sensor integrated neatly inside the door handle. This is one of the videos I could find explaining the system

Last edited by LobsterB : 3rd June 2020 at 19:51.
LobsterB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 21:02   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Quote:
The wiper scrapes against the other when pulling out
I think you are supposed to bring it to the service position before you lift them, just like on your Vento and most other VWs.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 13:03   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
It may not be a big deal at the outset. But I have the Vento experience of wiper arm scraping against the bonnet. Over a period of time one tends to let someone else clean the car and forget to keep the wipers in service position. Or else there will be some motivated people who proactively clean the car. I have finally ended up having a permanent paint scrape on the bonnet. This issue was subsequently addressed in subsequent models of Vento.

So it was instinctive for me to check these wipers. They of course don't touch the bonnet, but then I see the wiper itself scrapes against the arm of the other. Over a period of time, the wiper will suffer some damage is my fear. Also the wipers appear to be very soft. Hence I shared this observation with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
T-ROC has the KESSY keyless entry system with the sensor integrated neatly inside the door handle.
Thanks for pointing this out. With VW's inconsistency in what they say and what they actually offer and also I remember the inconsistencies that the Vento cars had, I posted about it. It appears that VW wants customers themselves to discover the features in their cars. In fact there is a thread on "User discovered features" on Vento !

I certainly had missed to notice that the sensor is hidden within the handle, when I had watched videos. Also the SA did not have any comment about the feature. I should have checked it out properly. I should reassure myself on my next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I think you are supposed to bring it to the service position before you lift them, just like on your Vento and most other VWs.
Agree.
tristis2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:35   #460
BHPian

The discussion on this thread has picked up excellent steam. I'd booked a t-roc sometime in April and I'm still waiting for a test drive. apparently a vehicle is on display at the dealership but no cars for TD yet...

I have a GT from 2013 which was a CBU and it drives like a dream...so was hoping that another CBU vehicle would be a good upgrade...but seeing really mixed reviews on the thread...esp wrt the rear being cramped and hard plastics. while the plastics aren't a concern for me, decent legroom in the rear is. I mean, I can't keep pushing my driver seat forward when there are more than 3 pax in the car...like I have to do in the GT currently...so waiting to checkout in person...

Thanks a lot to all the people who've visited showrooms and posted very detailed impressions and pics!
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:53   #461
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post

I have a GT from 2013 which was a CBU and it drives like a dream...so was hoping that another CBU vehicle would be a good upgrade...but seeing really mixed reviews on the thread..
CBU GT TSI? Didn't know about this that any batch of CBUs were sold in India. Are you sure?
Old 5th June 2020, 11:17   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
CBU GT TSI? Didn't know about this that any batch of CBUs were sold in India. Are you sure?
Well that's what the dealership told me way back in 2013. VW launched the GT TSI in April and I'd booked the car in May and they didn't give me anything till August and kept telling me that since it is CBU, there is a lot of backlog and shipping takes time and what not...
Old 5th June 2020, 11:29   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Well that's what the dealership told me way back in 2013. VW launched the GT TSI in April and I'd booked the car in May and they didn't give me anything till August and kept telling me that since it is CBU, there is a lot of backlog and shipping takes time and what not...
I think your dealer bamboozled you, mate. The GT TSI was never a CBU. The audacity, even tells you that ''Shipping takes time''. Wow!
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 12:17   #464
Senior - BHPian

It definitely had a lot of EU made parts on it unlike the current GT. I remember the alloy wheels were of a brilliant brushed steel finish and were made in Poland.
Old 5th June 2020, 12:25   #465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ouch. Sorry to break the news 7 years late but the GT TSI was never ever a CBU. It was fully local. Initially they were making very few hence the longer wait times.

But there is one good news you can take solace in. The earlier GT TSI's had a lot of import content vs the latter ones and the quality of parts were overall better than the the later ones which were localized very heavily. They also lost features in between and that meant the first GT TSI had more features than the one in 2015-16.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed