Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 12:23   #616
BHPian
 
Mr.Perera's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 74
Thanked: 790 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post


Got my car. Out of all negatives I came across, I found something that will take away from it all. No irritating chimes. Not at 80kpm. Probably not at 120 (I'll update) but this is the best thing I could have asked for.


I'll update more as I go along in the next few days. For now tired as hell, have a hectic day tomorrow but grinning thinking I'll be driving it in the morning again (lockdown woes). And to think, my wife is the one the car is for, well at least in theory.
Congrats Harneet ! So happy for you ! We all were waiting for your T-Roc to hit the roads. Waiting for your detailed ownership impressions !
Mr.Perera is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 12:40   #617
BHPian
 
tristis2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 135
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Volkswagen T-Roc Review is available on Autocar India July 2020 issue which is free to download
Hey Venkatesh, thanks for sharing. The feature tick box seems to have a typo. The "Park sensors" and "Auto Park Assist" both are ticked and the latter should mean the automated parking assist feature where the steering is auto and the driver has to take care of the rest, while parking. I don't think that's available. Furthermore, that would also require side sensors. Wouldn't it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Perera View Post
Congrats Harneet ! So happy for you ! We all were waiting for your T-Roc to hit the roads. Waiting for your detailed ownership impressions !
Now, Harneet and Mr. Perera can together post a detailed comparative study !
tristis2008 is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 13:33   #618
BHPian
 
Harneet.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 56
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Perera View Post
Congrats Harneet ! So happy for you ! We all were waiting for your T-Roc to hit the roads. Waiting for your detailed ownership impressions !
Thanks! I'm at work now a lot so a few days and I should be up to speed. Quite literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR0608 View Post
Congratulations Harneet. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Congratulations. It's the black one right ?
Yes! I had the itch ever since we let go of our last black car two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Indeed the chimes are very irritating. Its good to know the car is not programmed with it. I had asked this question to the SA and he was of the opinion that it would be programmed !
I asked The SA, the RM of VW and funnily enough, Hozmazd on instagram on Autocar, everone said yes! I haven't bought a new car in the last two years so I didn't know the pains of living with the chime, but it drove me up the wall once I did a few highway trips in cars that had it. I drove it to 80 at least 5 times just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Its good to have. But CC is a big miss !
I don't miss it but my father swears by it. In city driving! He puts it on on any stretch of >100 meters and says now I can relax. If there was Adaptive CC with stop&go in a car below 50L, that's my next car for Dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Can you check the following, when time permits ?
1. Does it have automatic high-low beam change feature ?
2. Is built in NAV really missing ?
3. Is Dashcam record feature enabled ?
1.No main-dipped auto switching, I can do without it as I will drive it 95% in city. but yes, I love the feature on my Dad's current car on highways.
2.No NAV whatsoever
3. I don't see that anywhere in Vehicle settings, but aren't you supposed to have a 360 camera setup with a front cam for those things to make use of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Hey Venkatesh, thanks for sharing. The feature tick box seems to have a typo. The "Park sensors" and "Auto Park Assist" both are ticked
No auto park. Yes! you would require ultrasonic sensors on sides for it. But to me that's more of a fad, all our other cars have auto-park. The T-Roc should have it too with some (a little) more hardware, there's a motor in the steering to begin with; but you can usually fit cars in spots you could have done so yourself, unless you're ultra-lazy or a little tipsy but you're still under-confident because you have an expensive car.

Last edited by Harneet.S : 7th July 2020 at 13:35. Reason: missed something
Harneet.S is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 13:55   #619
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 110
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post


Got my car. Out of all negatives I came across, I found something that will take away from it all. No irritating chimes. Not at 80kpm. Probably not at 120 (I'll update) but this is the best thing I could have asked for.

These chimes completely take away from driving the car even at 90 where you'll have to decelerate to 60 and back to 90 once every 30 seconds!

I recently drove my cousin's Seltos from Chandigarh to Delhi and the chimes are the most irritating thing.

This one's drive is very very European. Jittery over bad roads, smooth over good ones. Stiff suspension but very speed-inspiring.

Points to note after my first drive:

1. The SOS button in the roof liner doesn't work, it apparently has to be programmed to the Indian 112 number.
2. No 80 kph chime/whine. Yay! I will never get a India specific software update for the car. Ever!
3. Car is super silent and has a convenient but unobtrusive auto start stop at Red lights function.
4. The lane keep assist is very sublte in nudging you back into lane (lane markers have to be pretty visible, the poop quality faded ones won't register)
5. The voice assistant doesn't work, it apparently has to be activated by the dealer (who doesn't have a clue)
6. It comes with the VW mobility kit so you get a tube of tire sealant and a 12v socket super cute tire inflator.
7. It comes with no mats! Not carpet not rubber not at all. It is absolutely unacceptable. Cherry on cake, if I want to buy a set, they aren't available at dealerships yet. Naked foot well driving FTW.
8. Air con is very European, Auto won't keep you cool in this humidity unless you're below 19 degrees Celsius. Very effective nevertheless (un-european)
9. Heated seats! At least I'll get to use them in January every year.
10. Wayyyy too easy to rev it's tiny 4 cyl. But upshifts very eagerly just like any other DSG box if driving sane.
11. Puddle lamps are very bright and the license plate is bathed in white light too.
12. Since it's very European, it is meant to cross countries and you may have to drive in a country where you need to drive on the wrong side of the road. Everytime you switch on the car it tells you the headlamps have been adjusted for what kind of traffic and yes, you can change the setting. I found this setting on modern European cars in the UK. Nice to see a quirk meant for Britain get to us unfiltered.
13. DVD player in the glovebox. I don't have a DVD. Who has a DVD?
14. They're giving away a few freebies to people who have pre booked the car, including cushions and a usb c charger and a tablet stand for the headrest for rear seat entertainment.
11. Feel good factor of the first car in the Tri State area. I drove from the dealership and people gave me looks like I was driving a Lamborghini.

I'll update more as I go along in the next few days. For now tired as hell, have a hectic day tomorrow but grinning thinking I'll be driving it in the morning again (lockdown woes). And to think, my wife is the one the car is for, well at least in theory.
Wow! Congrats, Harneet. Hope you enjoy it thoroughly! Eagerly awaiting pics.

BTW, what's with this chimes thing? I thought it was an initiative by Maruti? I haven't bought a car in the last 7 years and hence don't know. My brother bought a Tata Nexon in 2017 and that doesn't have any chime above 80 etc. So, seriously, are ALL cars sold in India supposed to chime when the car crosses 80kph? 80?! That's not even 5th gear on the DSG!
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 15:00   #620
BHPian
 
tristis2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 135
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
BTW, what's with this chimes thing?
There is a thread here in T-BHP.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ly-2019-a.html (Audible speed alerts to be mandatory by July 2019)
tristis2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 18:25   #621
BHPian
 
prateekchanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 74
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

The web version of the Autocar India review is also live now.

Link

As expected the driving dynamics are very nice, so is the engine, but the missing electric adjustments, ventilated seats, Cruise Control, interior plastics are a big miss. May be the they take the review and add a couple of things in the next batch. But still it is a wonderful product and a great update for polo owners. Hope VW eventually considers local assembly.
prateekchanana is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 19:45   #622
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 32
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekchanana View Post

As expected the driving dynamics are very nice, so is the engine, but the missing electric adjustments, ventilated seats, Cruise Control, interior plastics are a big miss. May be the they take the review and add a couple of things in the next batch. But still it is a wonderful product and a great update for polo owners. Hope VW eventually considers local assembly.
Electrical/ ventilated seats do not feature in international models of the T-roc . Adaptive cruise control and other options of driver assist systems / 4 wheel drive/ dynamic chassis control / Sat-nav/ car -net connectivity are some features available as options at added costs . Also the plastics are same in all models with variations in dashboard / dash pad insert colours/ choices of rooflining/ carpet / seat upholstery etc.
moncar is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 20:09   #623
BHPian
 
prateekchanana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 74
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncar View Post
Electrical/ ventilated seats do not feature in international models of the T-roc . Adaptive cruise control and other options of driver assist systems / 4 wheel drive/ dynamic chassis control / Sat-nav/ car -net connectivity are some features available as options at added costs . Also the plastics are same in all models with variations in dashboard / dash pad insert colours/ choices of rooflining/ carpet / seat upholstery etc.
Yes the ventilated/electrical seats are missing in the international spec but in our market ventilated seats make much more sense than heated seats. So if VW plans local assembly eventually these features can be modified according to the local market needs. And something like cruise control which is even available in Polo is a big miss.

But again seeing the market right now, there will not be any such changes / plans for local assembly anytime soon even if all of the 1000 T-rocs sell out quickly as per news. Atleast not until after the Taigun is launched.
prateekchanana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:39   #624
Senior - BHPian
 
84.monsoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 4,079 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post

Probably not at 120 (I'll update) but this is the best thing I could have asked for.

These chimes completely take away from driving the car even at 90 where you'll have to decelerate to 60 and back to 90 once every 30 seconds!
Could this be the reason why the clearance of the T-Roc for sale has been stopped for many weeks until now?

If so, I imagine ARAI would have extracted a promise from VW to fix a 100% cars with audible alerts through some kind of update within a certain number of days post sales commencing. If so, you may not be able to escape the chimes for too long
84.monsoon is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 21:53   #625
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 864
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

I was offered a test drive today. Inspite of having cancelled my booking last week. A good gesture from the dealer.

The car drives like a typical VW. Firm suspension on slow speeds and you can feel the road all the time. Steering, brakes and engine is all spot on. Paddle shifters are marvelous and the car pulls with great enthusiasm.

Here is the kicker, the plastic grab handles on the door actually "Creak" when pulling them to shut the doors. I tried all 4 doors and I was shocked.

So the plastic doesn't only look shiny and brittle it is actually quite low grade. I was really at a loss of words trying to explain this to my son who couldn't believe it when he heard the plastic creaking on the grab handles and the door pads flexing and making scratchy noises.

He said our Polo GT has better interiors. He is actually right.

Anyway, my booking remains cancelled. I can't live with a creaking and groaning plastic interior on a 25L car, not to mention missing cruise control and cramped rear seat.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:03   #626
BHPian
 
Harneet.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 56
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Could this be the reason why the clearance of the T-Roc for sale has been stopped for many weeks until now?

If so, I imagine ARAI would have extracted a promise from VW to fix a 100% cars with audible alerts through some kind of update within a certain number of days post sales commencing. If so, you may not be able to escape the chimes for too long
I'm not letting any software update come through to the car without me seeing everything that goes into it. Once the car is sold, it's is the owners prerogative as to what comes through. Plus this car is old school with no esim or wifi update stuff. I'll have to take the car to the service station and plug it in to get anything done.

Majorly peeved, though. It came down heavy today and turns out the wipers that are pre installed have year old rubber that creaks. Had to use it for a good hour. Also realized how stingy VW is. They don't offer foot mats with their cars. Not even the uber expensive ones. Cherry on cake, they don't have foot mats for my car, for sale, in stock anywhere. 'It will come in a few days, saar' ' Don't use the car in the rain saaar'
Harneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:03   #627
BHPian
 
tristis2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 135
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Here is the kicker, the plastic grab handles on the door actually "Creak" when pulling them to shut the doors. I tried all 4 doors and I was shocked.

So the plastic doesn't only look shiny and brittle it is actually quite low grade. I was really at a loss of words trying to explain this to my son who couldn't believe it when he heard the plastic creaking on the grab handles and the door pads flexing and making scratchy noises.

He said our Polo GT has better interiors. He is actually right.

Anyway, my booking remains cancelled. I can't live with a creaking and groaning plastic interior on a 25L car, not to mention missing cruise control and cramped rear seat.
I did not notice this creaking in my earlier visits. This is something I will definitely not like in a car of this segment. I am already unhappy with the noise the Vento produces all the time. And then those missing features. Good luck T-Roc! Anyway, am planning to do TD tomorrow. Is there anything you wanted to check today and could not ? I guess I can check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Firm suspension on slow speeds and you can feel the road all the time.
Firm suspension is certainly expected in this car, as they don't seem to have tuned it to Indian roads like claimed before, but am wondering how much the air pressure was in the tyres! These showroom guys are too careless about these small aspects before providing a TD car or for a delivery.
tristis2008 is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 23:09   #628
BHPian
 
Harneet.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 56
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post

Firm suspension is certainly expected in this car, as they don't seem to have tuned it to Indian roads like claimed before, but am wondering how much the air pressure was in the tyres! These showroom guys are too careless about these small aspects before providing a TD car or for a delivery.
My car was horrendous with bumps until I realised it was @ 45 psi all around. Decreased it to 36(recommended all tires); much better!

My door handles don't creak though. They're maybe a step up from my Polo 1.6 but that wasn't luxury. I've driven almost 100km within the last 24 hours. And I have an extremely good (and annoying) ear for creaks and shudders and squeaks. No abnormal sounds yet. The pedestrian plastics are screwed tight!
Harneet.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:10   #629
BHPian
 
tristis2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 135
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post

Majorly peeved, though. It came down heavy today and turns out the wipers that are pre installed have year old rubber that creaks. Had to use it for a good hour. Also realized how stingy VW is. They don't offer foot mats with their cars. Not even the uber expensive ones. Cherry on cake, they don't have foot mats for my car, for sale, in stock anywhere. 'It will come in a few days, saar' ' Don't use the car in the rain saaar'
Further the cars were out in sun in stockyard for the entire summer. The wipers are also very soft and don't have a study spine.
BTW, can you check the manufacturing year of your car ? What's the VIN , if you don't mind sharing.
In Bangaluru, they are selling the so called essential kit, which according to SA contains floor mats and mud flaps.

Last edited by tristis2008 : 7th July 2020 at 23:17. Reason: Mods: Can you please merge this with #627. Not sure why I could not edit #627 with additional quote!
tristis2008 is offline  
Old 7th July 2020, 23:23   #630
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 864
Thanked: 1,162 Times
Default

When I said the door grab handles creak, I meant that if you grip them tightly when closing the door you can feel the plastic flexing, that is the the time they creak horribly. The door handles are made of two separate plastic parts that are probably snap fitted. These joints creak quite badly. Just shows the plastic quality.

I am certain that with age those plastic handles will start creaking even when driving. Our Indian roads will give them enough jerks to make them squeak and creak with age.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks