Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2020, 00:47   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
13. The spare is a 18 incher.
Interesting, it's a size bigger, don't usually manufacturers give a size smaller to save cost?

Not sure how much they save, but can just give the same size as all other 4 tyres(General Statement, and not specifically related to your car) .

Thanks for taking time out to put those observations, they are very informative.

Last edited by AtheK : 13th July 2020 at 01:00.
Old 13th July 2020, 01:12   #662
BHPian

Quote:

I guess I'll have a full review of ownership in a few weeks' time.

That was a great start to exploring the T-roc!
Can't wait for a comprehensive review.
Currently there is still a lot of haze around the entire lot of features available and enabled most of which need to be personally used and documented.
There should be some more options available with the hardware already provided in the car.
Being a new product the sales teams aren't well versed with all details. Guess it's upto the initial owners to identify and try and get the maximum out of the car.
Old 13th July 2020, 01:12   #663

Quote:
Front assist is enabled, I just haven't had the Cojones to test it yet.
Yey ! That's a big selling point based on NCAP video of T-Roc. If it really stops when a jaywalker shows-up, what else can you ask from a Car in India?

And I had to google for meaning of the word 'Cojones' !

Great review, please keep posting about your experiences.
Old 13th July 2020, 01:54   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristis2008 View Post
Harneet, you have explored your car a lot already! That's really impressive.

Can you please, may be make a video record and also explain what you actually experienced ?

Regarding , auto high low beam function, steps are indicated in the user manual. I have also shared a .de link in one of my posts earlier.

BTW, what is auto main beam function ?

Harneet, It's better you start an ownership review thread.
Thanks! I'll try making a video as soon as I can.

The auto main beam is auto high beam. The option isn't available. I'm attaching screenshots. The option isn't there in any menu in the car.

I really should start an ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Thanks for taking time out to put those observations, they are very informative.
Thanks!

My theory about the larger space saver is that the limitation is that they must get the space saver in, while keeping boot space intact. If they put in a standard size tire, it will turn out to be too fat for the boot floor, eat into boot space litres (people ask that a lot) and is generally the more expensive option( but very convenient for the end user). OTOH, if you make a thinner tire for a 17inch space saver, it might not have the same rolling diameter or there might be a limitation of the rubber on the space saver not being readily available.

On upping to the 18 inch, they keep the same rolling diameter, with a cheaper tire (lesser rubber used) so that the car can be taken to the nearest tire shop without it wobbling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncar View Post
That was a great start to exploring the T-roc!
Can't wait for a comprehensive review.
Currently there is still a lot of haze around the entire lot of features available and enabled most of which need to be personally used and documented.
There should be some more options available with the hardware already provided in the car.
Thanks! I'm trying to see what all can be enabled but I can only get so far with the relationship I have with the service manager.

BTW does anybody know somebody who has an OBDeleven device I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKARR View Post
Yey ! That's a big selling point based on NCAP video of T-Roc. If it really stops when a jaywalker shows-up, what else can you ask from a Car in India?
Great review, please keep posting about your experiences.
This is available in many Volvo's and newer Merc's. But yes, not in this price bracket, I assume.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200713-1.31.30-am2.jpeg  

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200713-1.31.30-am.jpeg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2020 at 11:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Harneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 09:18   #665
BHPian

Quote:
The auto main beam is auto high beam. The option isn't available. I'm attaching screenshots. The option isn't there in any menu in the car.
Thanks for your observations Harneet. In the light assistance screen that you have shared, the option for Traffic; should be Right Hand Traffic? I am assuming traffic for right hand drive or left hand drive cars, the beam will adjust accordingly, I think.
Old 13th July 2020, 09:53   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Thanks for your observations Harneet. In the light assistance screen that you have shared, the option for Traffic; should be Right Hand Traffic? I am assuming traffic for right hand drive or left hand drive cars, the beam will adjust accordingly, I think.
India is Left hand traffic. Yes if I drive this to EU or Thailand I'll have to temporarily change to right hand traffic. It changes the beam pattern.
Old 13th July 2020, 10:58   #667
BHPian

With new nifty and handy features getting discovered only after owning the car, T-ROC is gradually emerging as a VFM product at 20L. If this trend continues, T- ROC might seem to be underpriced at 20L in few months time.
Old 13th July 2020, 11:48   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I'm so sorry I haven't been able to write in over here all week. Its been 6 days and 300 km since I've had the car and its a nice mixed bag. The car is averaging as much as you want it to. On test runs above 120kph (repeatedly), while keeping RPM below 3500, just to be very sure there's no annoying beeps and sounds (still have to pinch myself - I loathe cars that beep over a certain speed), I would get a consistent 7kmpl to 8 kmpl. But if driving sedately, like today, I got upwards of 16 in city limits (Sunday detox with wife from the corona news). Pic attached.
Wow! the car looks stunning indeed! I simply love the exterior design. It is a standout car for sure. Awaiting your ownership review.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th July 2020 at 12:13. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Old 13th July 2020, 12:11   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
With new nifty and handy features getting discovered only after owning the car, T-ROC is gradually emerging as a VFM product at 20L. If this trend continues, T- ROC might seem to be underpriced at 20L in few months time.
Completely agree. And this is exactly the comment I had made earlier around how well do VW India know about these CBU cars.
And thus the disappointing experience they provide to prospective customers like I was at one point of time. Of course this will change with experience and as more and more inputs come in from elsewhere. However for a sedate driver like me, I would mostly rely on the VW network here to provide me key insights into the car, rather than me exploring it myself. ( although some part of it is always required on any car )
And that just didn’t help my cause when I think about a longer term ownership experience.
SSR0608 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 12:25   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On test runs above 120kph (repeatedly), while keeping RPM below 3500, just to be very sure there's no annoying beeps and sounds...

16. Kangarooing is there on D1 & D2.
Hi Harneet,

I am surprised that CBUs are exempt from this requirement and a bit jealous too.. My 330i Sport beeps (at 120 km/hr) like the helicopter scene in Apocalypse Now. I always thought the beeping rule(s) was applicable to all M1 vehicles "sold" in India after 1 July 2019, but now believe it applies to vehicles "manufactured" in India after that date.

Again, did VW India update your T-Roc software to the latest one for all VAG 1.5TSI engines? Refer this post (among many globally): https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1662
I suspect it was this software update which inexplicably delayed the launch by 2+ months. If not fixed, it will get progressively more irritating as winter approaches.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:01   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR0608 View Post
Completely agree. And this is exactly the comment I had made earlier around how well do VW India know about these CBU cars.
And thus the disappointing experience they provide to prospective customers like I was at one point of time. Of course this will change with experience and as more and more inputs come in from elsewhere. However for a sedate driver like me, I would mostly rely on the VW network here to provide me key insights into the car, rather than me exploring it myself. ( although some part of it is always required on any car )
And that just didn’t help my cause when I think about a longer term ownership experience.
Well could be 3 reasons behind this situation -
1.) Looking at high number of feature discoveries in these CBUs during ownership, VW India sales training durations would double or triple to cover all of them
2.) Brochure size should be smart enough not to exhaust buyers with excess information or lose customers without information.
3.) End of the day, Sales guys need to be proactive and go an extra mile to know the product in and out before selling it. Passion for the job is key factor here.
Old 13th July 2020, 13:14   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi Harneet,

I am surprised that CBUs are exempt from this requirement and a bit jealous too.. My 330i Sport beeps (at 120 km/hr) like the helicopter scene in Apocalypse Now. I always thought the beeping rule(s) was applicable to all M1 vehicles "sold" in India after 1 July 2019, but now believe it applies to vehicles "manufactured" in India after that date.

Again, did VW India update your T-Roc software to the latest one for all VAG 1.5TSI engines? Refer this post (among many globally): https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1662
I suspect it was this software update which inexplicably delayed the launch by 2+ months. If not fixed, it will get progressively more irritating as winter approaches.
I haven't checked the software version yet. I'll do that when I get home tonight. They did take it out of transport mode (when they were to deliver the car in the beginning of June lol), maybe they updated it to the latest one.

Kangarooing has been felt a total of 3 times now and I'm very scrutinizing.

I was mentally ready for the chimes and also vehemently ready to cry about it too but I was so surprised I get teary eyes. It is just a beautiful thing to have(or not have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Wow! the car looks stunning indeed! I simply love the exterior design. It is a standout car for sure. Awaiting your ownership review.
The side profile, and then the rear 3/4 is what you should look at. Oh man, the frisson it gave me the first time I saw my black car was unparalleled.
Old 13th July 2020, 13:44   #673

2.) Brochure size should be smart enough not to exhaust buyers with excess information or lose customers without information.

And in both cases , the brochure needs to be accurate and not misleading atleast (remember the suspension discussion)
At the end of the day, these might sound trivial to many.. however, I’ve got my reasons to be interested in these details.
Old 13th July 2020, 14:04   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Kangarooing has been felt a total of 3 times now and I'm very scrutinizing.
Harneet, its strange that you noted this issue so many times already, but Mr. Perera did not mention about this on his Karoq so far. The cars as we know have same engine, same gear box and guess same fuel injection system and so on. It should be the same engineers who would have been working on it as well.
Old 13th July 2020, 14:13   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
I for one would prefer a detailed brochure listing all available features instead of playing hide and seek or treasure trail.
It not only enhances the VFM but additionally mandates that the sales team is updated and well versed with the demos when the prospective customer steps into the showroom.
Also this reflects the company image and professionalism. It is a tragic/ comic situation when the customer knows more about the product rather than the salesperson.
moncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed